• Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No. Evers was too poor opening week and Fagnano was too good Saturday. Fagnano would start whether the opponent is the K.C. Chiefs or E. O. Smith High school. I guaranty you that isn't something the staff is debating. They may be debating how they determine who is QB down the line, including even later in the Duke game, but there will not be a change unless or until the offense doesn't perform in high gear (which we should all be certain will happen).
Cool story, Coach Mora...

Reaction Score
Actually, coverage is pretty good on that play, in no small part because it was underthrown.

Whatever, it's all good. We will see how he does this weekend.
Safety was way late to rotate over. Fagnano either read that or got lucky, but the safety had no play on that.

Reaction Score
Safety was way late to rotate over. Fagnano either read that or got lucky, but the safety had no play on that.

Pretty sure he just found their weak point and attacked it until they adjusted.

Reaction Score
Could be. He diced them. They looked awful but you can't heap too much praise on the kid around here.

Reaction Score
hard to see. It was single high safety and man coverage, but with the action in the backfield you lose sight of the safety on the replay.. so dunno if he came up on the crossing route or just lost sight and Porter got a behind him after getting past the corner. Good/correct read.. just needed 5 more yards on it so the safety and corner couldn't close on the play.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Could be. He diced them. They looked awful but you can't heap too much praise on the kid around here.
Dude, you can heap all the praise on him that you want. I am going to root for him like crazy.

But if Evers is put back into the starting role, I'm also going to root for him like crazy too...

Reaction Score
Dude, you can heap all the praise on him that you want. I am going to root for him like crazy.

But if Evers is put back into the starting role, I'm also going to root for him like crazy too...
No one is stopping you!

Reaction Score
hard to see. It was single high safety and man coverage, but with the action in the backfield you lose sight of the safety on the replay.. so dunno if he came up on the crossing route or just lost sight and Porter got a behind him after getting past the corner. Good/correct read.. just needed 5 more yards on it so the safety and corner couldn't close on the play.
This is why i say he got lucky or he read it, but that safety had no play on the ball by the time he got there. He mostly got in his own man's way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, that's mature.
As was your guarantee of what the coaching staff was doing and considering. So either you unnecessarily exaggerated, or you're part of the staff. I was just giving you credit for being the latter...

Reaction Score
It has to be Joe starting against Duke. He’s earned the right. But that doesn’t mean he can’t have a short leash if things go south. Let’s not overthink this.

Reaction Score
It would be very weird not to start Fagnano against Duke.

I'm not anti-Evers or pro-Fagnano at all. A week ago, I thought we should start Welliver as a true frosh, f f s. I just want us to win, and Fagnano looks like he's good enough to get it to our talented receivers and allow them to make plays. A functional offense will make a giant difference for this team.

Reaction Score
It would be very weird not to start Fagnano against Duke.

I'm not anti-Evers or pro-Fagnano at all. A week ago, I thought we should start Welliver as a true frosh, f f s. I just want us to win, and Fagnano looks like he's good enough to get it to our talented receivers and allow them to make plays. A functional offense will make a giant difference for this team.

I’m good with going with what seems to work best, trying to keep it that way and open to something different when that fails.

Reaction Score
Cool story, Coach Mora...
Yeah. I wouldn't go this far. BL, I like you but that reads more like narrative building than what went on.

I have some faith that Evers could have found a groove and may have been a bit rusty once seeing live play. I don't think it's so obvious that fagnano is better than evers.

If you had to press me right now I'd say Evers is more mobile but hasn't had to face live competition in awhile and faced a tough maryland offering. He failed to hit a couple of open men in key plays.

Fagnano did the job against Merrimack. He was able to move the ball against marylands second team.

When it is not obvious who the better qb is you run the hand that provided the results. Fagnano performed against Merrimack so he plays. He gives up 3 turkeys and it's back to Evers next week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually it wasn’t and compared to Shamar the defender wasn’t athletic enough to defend it.

So it was a great throw and a great decision.
Shrug, I disagree, but don't care enough to actually find the clip in the highlights.

Reaction Score
As was your guarantee of what the coaching staff was doing and considering. So either you unnecessarily exaggerated, or you're part of the staff. I was just giving you credit for being the latter...
You have a stupid position on this. See -- I can say that without implying that you don't have objectivity.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You have a stupid position on this. See -- I can say that without implying that you don't have objectivity.
My position is this thread is that of uncertainty: a position that you never take here or elsewhere. And when one is always certain he is right, that is by definition a stupid position because nobody can be 100% right all the time. See - I can say that without implying that you intended malice...

Reaction Score
Shrug, I disagree, but don't care enough to actually find the clip in the highlights.
I looked back at the highlight and my opinion is that the ball was under thrown but the defender had no chance at taking it away. Porter made a great catch but if the d-back picked it off it would have been an even better play. He was beaten. And he wasn’t even looking back at the ball. Worst case it falls incomplete.

Reaction Score
Actually it wasn’t and compared to Shamar the defender wasn’t athletic enough to defend it.

So it was a great throw and a great decision.
Fagnano to Porter. Agreed, it was a great throw and a great catch starting at the 3:07 mark. Porter beat his defender and the safety was late getting over. Yes the receiver had to stop to catch the ball but given he caught it at the goal line, I'm not sure Fagnano wanted to throw it much deeper anyway. The throw was well over 50 yards as the crow flies. The defender was beat and the safety had no shot at all.

Reaction Score
You start Fagnano.

I don't care one iota about athletic ability.

It's not like Evers was setting the world on fire scrambling.
It took a while, but I am with you now. At least for this upcoming week.

Reaction Score
If Evers starts, that to me means the coaching staff feels he was clearly better in preseason and they feel confident in their evaluation.

I would start Joe with a quick hook. Or even do the dreaded two qb thing.
I would caution against the first statement. The Mora staff has shown us nothing in terms of knowing how to building an effective passing attack. I have zero confidence in his ability to coach that phase of the game. And, you don't help the team or QB by starting him with a "quick hook". You don't want him playing while looking over his shoulder at the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom