• Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread cracks me up with how certain most people are that you "absolutely have to" start this guy or that guy. And without exception, all of those people who are so certain about it haven't said a single thing about Duke's defense and what would be most effective against it.

If I told you that they were susceptible to scrambling QBs, you'd come to one conclusion. If I told you they were susceptible to the vertical pass, you'd come to another conclusion. Etc,etc.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can guarantee that the head coach is thinking about that as part of his calculations, along with current form, current health, and other factors. Ultimately, Mora will have to make a tough decision because it doesn't "absolutely have to be" either QB...

Reaction Score
I’ve been busy all weekend so haven’t been commenting, but Joe has to play. You can’t bench him after that performance. It wouldn’t even be fair to Evers. Let Joe show what he’s got against Duke. If he can’t get it done, pull him and put in Evers.

Putting Evers back in against Duke would put tremendous pressure on him. He’ll be pressing because he knows Joe is breathing down his neck. I don’t want him pressing against Duke thinking he has to match Joe’s game against Merrimack. It’s isn’t realistic.
This is a good point

Reaction Score
This thread cracks me up with how certain most people are that you "absolutely have to" start this guy or that guy. And without exception, all of those people who are so certain about it haven't said a single thing about Duke's defense and what would be most effective against it.

If I told you that they were susceptible to scrambling QBs, you'd come to one conclusion. If I told you they were susceptible to the vertical pass, you'd come to another conclusion. Etc,etc.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can guarantee that the head coach is thinking about that as part of his calculations, along with current form, current health, and other factors. Ultimately, Mora will have to make a tough decision because it doesn't "absolutely have to be" either QB...
All the horrid QB play we’ve had over the years, and we had someone play well, set records, and you’re trying to nitpick?

I’d agree with you if anybody in the room had more than 3 games of FBS experience, but nobody in the room is beyond reproach and everybody is unproven.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
All the horrid QB play we’ve had over the years, and we had someone play well, set records, and you’re trying to nitpick?

I’d agree with you if anybody in the room had more than 3 games of FBS experience, but nobody in the room is beyond reproach and everybody is unproven.
So if everyone is unproven, then what are you getting worked up about??

The fact that everyone is unproven IS MY POINT...

Reaction Score
So if everyone is unproven, then what are you getting worked up about??

The fact that everyone is unproven IS MY POINT...
My point is, everyone is unproven but one guy has played well. Don’t out think yourself.

Reaction Score
He was disappointingly slow in his reads and decision making. Yes, it was his first real game in three years and yes it was against the best defense UConn will see all year but a dual threat has to be decisive as to which threat he will be and Evers also showed horrible touch and accuracy down the field.

As much as I've not advocated for Fagnano, I've been equally consistent saying the vertical passing game has to exist and Fagnano has been spot on with his 15-20 yard throws and Depp passes.
Nick also seemed inaccurate on his throws while rolling out against MD. Didn’t love his footwork there.

Reaction Score
That's a no. You go with the QB who can throw the ball and get it into the endzone. And the NIL be damned. You play the hotter hand.
Best player plays. I think it is unfair to compare the two.

But, you also got to set Evers up for success. Having him play two road games against superior teams, first of his career, and then taking fagnano’s game playing against a lower division and trying to compare the two.

If Evers starts, that to me means the coaching staff feels he was clearly better in preseason and they feel confident in their evaluation.

That said, having Evers start is putting that kid in a really really tough spot. He plays poorly, because Duke is a lot better than Merrimack.

I would start Joe with a quick hook. Or even do the dreaded two qb thing.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Fagnano has earned the right to start. The team has also earned the right to have Fagnano swapped out for Evers if Fagnano isn't getting it done against dook.

No is being knighted QB1 for life based on beating Merrimack but Fagnano showed a level of competency most UConn QB's haven't been able to show against FCS competition for almost a decade.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Fagnano has earned the right to start. The team has also earned the right to have Fagnano swapped out for Evers if Fagnano isn't getting it done against dook.

No is being knighted QB1 for life based on beating Merrimack but Fagnano showed a level of competency most UConn QB's haven't been able to show against FCS competition for almost a decade.

Believe me, if I were a betting man (and I am), my money would be on Fagnano to start Saturday. But let's not act as if it's a forgone conclusion that he must be the starter. The right being earned as you mentioned also includes every day in practice as well, as well as the coach making a decision of who gives him (and by definition, us) the best chance to win against Duke.

That decision may still be in Evers' favor...

Reaction Score
Nick also seemed inaccurate on his throws while rolling out against MD. Didn’t love his footwork there.
yea, but so was JF and he was inaccurate on his rollouts y'day too. Airmailed a couple over the RB and TE and then threw one behind the head of a RB on an out pattern like the one that got picked against Maryland. He's much better with his feet set. I'm pretty neutral between the two. Seems a lot of people here are pretty dug in like it's an obvious decision one way or the other and I just don't see the clear and cut talent disparity.

Duke's secondary is going to be a noticeable uptick.. so whoever it is better be ready.

Reaction Score
Fagnano hangs in the pocket longer than Evers to enable his receivers to gain separation. Evers scrambles too soon.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people ignore that the vast majority of JF’s passing yards (and scores) were after the catch or were to wide open receivers (ie the Konig TD). You cite the statistics like you didn’t watch the game? I’m happy he produced but Merrimack’s pass defense and tackling were both super woeful. We had multiple 0-5 yard swing routes go for 50+ yard TDs.

I didn’t see the MD game (thank goodness) so have no idea how good or bad NE is but it’s feels like anyone with a heartbeat and the same receivers / RBs could have done similarly against Merrimack. JF did have some nice throws (his first completion in particular) but I don’t see how he’s cemented as the starter from here onwards.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As many others have said, that’s probably an INT against a decent secondary, throwing into tight double coverage. It was a great catch by Porter though.
Eh, that's nitpicking. You have to take chances and if the other guys make a great pick you live with it. Playing totally risk averse isn't what you want either.

Reaction Score
C'mon, man!

I loved when this happened, and I was happy for everyone involved. But let's not act like he didn't underthrow it and that Porter didn't make a sweet, almost-one-handed catch...
Can't make a great catch if you are never given the chance. This board kills me. We bemoan that we are utlra conservative. A kid takes a chance that results in a TD and he should not have thrown it.

Keep in mind he eluded pressure before throwing that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Can't make a great catch if you are never given the chance. This board kills me. We bemoan that we are utlra conservative. A kid takes a chance that results in a TD and he should not have thrown it.

Keep in mind he eluded pressure before throwing that.
You're getting me wrong.

He did a great job avoiding the rush, and had to make the throw off-balance. The throw gave his receiver a chance to make a play. And the receiver made a great play.

But if you're describing that throw as a throw that has been so rare that we haven't seen it in a decade, You're just wrong. He didn't hit him in stride. The receiver made a great play. And it's okay to say that...

Reaction Score
You're getting me wrong.

He did a great job avoiding the rush, and had to make the throw off-balance. The throw gave his receiver a chance to make a play. And the receiver made a great play.

But if you're describing that throw as a throw that has been so rare that we haven't seen it in a decade, You're just wrong. He didn't hit him in stride. The receiver made a great play. And it's okay to say that...
He isn’t wrong. We have seen very little of that in years. However, we’ve seen very few touchdowns at all.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He isn’t wrong. We have seen very little of that in years. However, we’ve seen very few touchdowns at all.
What you mean to say is that we've seen very few receivers that could pull that throw in. To that point, I agree...

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
He’s ok rolling to his right, rolling left and across his body is shaky at best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24