• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i dont know what Mora does. I still think Evers has greater athletic ability, but Fagnano has a lot lot more experience.

Evers has only played one game in his career and he came here and is paid to play here. Thst said, not sure how you can put him back there against Duke this week. Coming off a concussion, and Fagnano had such a great game, would hate for Evers to have a rough outing.

Evers really needed to play against Merrimack to get reps. Maybe if a game gets out out of hand Saturday he gets in. Or give him a series.

I’d go with Fagnano this week, I think that gives team best chance to win against Duke. Then, maybe keep it open week to week.

You start Fagnano.

I don't care one iota about athletic ability.

It's not like Evers was setting the world on fire scrambling.

Reaction Score
i dont know what Mora does. I still think Evers has greater athletic ability, but Fagnano has a lot lot more experience.

Evers has only played one game in his career and he came here and is paid to play here. Thst said, not sure how you can put him back there against Duke this week. Coming off a concussion, and Fagnano had such a great game, would hate for Evers to have a rough outing.

Evers really needed to play against Merrimack to get reps. Maybe if a game gets out out of hand Saturday he gets in. Or give him a series.

I’d go with Fagnano this week, I think that gives team best chance to win against Duke. Then, maybe keep it open week to week.
I am frustrated that I have to defend Evers because I'm partial to fagnano in some ways (and this isn't about you Mr silver, this about the guy you're replying to) but I'm pretty sure week 1 fagnano was throwing against backups. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I am frustrated that I have to defend Evers because I'm partial to fagnano in some ways (and this isn't about you Mr silver, this about the guy you're replying to) but I'm pretty sure week 1 fagnano was throwing against backups. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.
You aren’t wrong. And the game was over anyway.

I think you go with Fagnano to start, see if there is anything there. Evers could come in if the game gets out of hand or even to get a series or 2.

I just think starting Evers coming off a concussion on the road at Duke, with six home games cooking, just isn’t in the kids best interests. Unless, Evers is markedly better than Fagnano in practice.

I think veteran play really helps the ship here.

Reaction Score
As many others have said, that’s probably an INT against a decent secondary, throwing into tight double coverage. It was a great catch by Porter though.
Other teams do it. UConn hasn’t been able to in I can’t remember. WR should be expected to make challenging and difficult catches.

Reaction Score
Eh, that's nitpicking. You have to take chances and if the other guys make a great pick you live with it. Playing totally risk averse isn't what you want either.
Beyond that, it’s about time we had a receiver who DID make that catch. Or one who could make a catch and outrun the secondary. Great receivers make quarterbacks better.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Fagnano has earned the right to start. The team has also earned the right to have Fagnano swapped out for Evers if Fagnano isn't getting it done against dook.

No is being knighted QB1 for life based on beating Merrimack but Fagnano showed a level of competency most UConn QB's haven't been able to show against FCS competition for almost a decade.
As a Maine fan (good game at Montana St this past weekend!), I've been a huge JF supporter. It was honestly disappointing last year when the BY turned on him, assuming Charlton named him as a starter out of nepotism. Part of that was hope for Roberson, part of that was frustration with Charlton, part of that was how bad JF looked after he got hurt vs NC State.

JF is a good game manager. He is not going to set the world on fire. He is not going to be accurate all the time. But he will make generally smart choices and generally smart plays within his ability. If we can run the ball, he is a steady bridge quarterback to a next generation of more talented players. If Mora sticks with him, I think he can be very average - which, by UConn standards, is a compliment.

Reaction Score
As a Maine fan (good game at Montana St this past weekend!), I've been a huge JF supporter. It was honestly disappointing last year when the BY turned on him, assuming Charlton named him as a starter out of nepotism. Part of that was hope for Roberson, part of that was frustration with Charlton, part of that was how bad JF looked after he got hurt vs NC State.

JF is a good game manager. He is not going to set the world on fire. He is not going to be accurate all the time. But he will make generally smart choices and generally smart plays within his ability. If we can run the ball, he is a steady bridge quarterback to a next generation of more talented players. If Mora sticks with him, I think he can be very average - which, by UConn standards, is a compliment.

I agree with this. QB is so much more about just being athletic.

The thing I like about him is that he can go through a progression, sell the fake hand offs and distribute well. He probably can also read a Defense better than Evers.

Reaction Score
In case the coaching staff is basing their decision on what the Yard thinks, I say start JF and see what he can do against a good P4 defense. Let NE rest this week. This way we have at least some game tape on both QBs against good P4 defenses.

Reaction Score
In the particular current situation - I think you have to start JF vs Duke. Because coming off Saturday it is real hard to potentially blow the offensive momentum that we had going and it is truly unfair to Evers to have him "get his legs under him" on the road against a high quality opponent (all the progress we made can potentially be lost). Let the team build off Saturday's performance and save Evers for the 2nd half if the game is out of hand and the pressure is off, then any success he has will give him momentum into the next game as the starter.

Now, if we hang in or win the game JF gets to keep the job and JM can mix Evers in a couple series per game (like a lot of colleges do) until we need a spark or JF gets hurt and then you insert Evers full time. It's not ideal, but by Ever's missing Saturday and not being able to get a rhythm with the offense going it kind of puts JM in a tough spot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a UConn QB make a completion like this since Endres to Kashief at Rutgers.
The pass is underthrown. I give Porter a lot of credit for putting the brakes on, turning back and fighting off to defenders to make that reception. Against the better secondary that's an interception.

Reaction Score
This thread cracks me up with how certain most people are that you "absolutely have to" start this guy or that guy. And without exception, all of those people who are so certain about it haven't said a single thing about Duke's defense and what would be most effective against it.

If I told you that they were susceptible to scrambling QBs, you'd come to one conclusion. If I told you they were susceptible to the vertical pass, you'd come to another conclusion. Etc,etc.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can guarantee that the head coach is thinking about that as part of his calculations, along with current form, current health, and other factors. Ultimately, Mora will have to make a tough decision because it doesn't "absolutely have to be" either QB...
No. Evers was too poor opening week and Fagnano was too good Saturday. Fagnano would start whether the opponent is the K.C. Chiefs or E. O. Smith High school. I guaranty you that isn't something the staff is debating. They may be debating how they determine who is QB down the line, including even later in the Duke game, but there will not be a change unless or until the offense doesn't perform in high gear (which we should all be certain will happen).

Reaction Score
The pass is underthrown. I give Porter a lot of credit for putting the brakes on, turning back and fighting off to defenders to make that reception. Against the better secondary that's an interception.
Again, to me this is nitpicking. That ball was 48 to 50 yards in the air. He isn't Pat Mahomes. We have played plenty of bad fcs teams in recent years including CCSU and Sacred Heart and haven't seen a throw and catch that good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again, to me this is nitpicking. That ball was 48 to 50 yards in the air. He isn't Pat Mahomes. We have played plenty of bad fcs teams in recent years including CCSU and Sacred Heart and haven't seen a throw and catch that good.

Every FBS QB can throw the ball that far. Even UConn's worst QB's could launch it 50 yards.

Positives on the play: Fagnano avoided pressure, regrouped and was able to see downfield and launch it. WR fought off 2 DB's and made a contested catch for a TD. These things haven't happened often for UConn over the past decade.
Negatives: Ball was underthrown and defenders were in position for an INT.

Reaction Score

It absolutely is nitpicking. It’s actually probably worse.

Reaction Score
Every FBS QB can throw the ball that far. Even UConn's worst QB's could launch it 50 yards.

Positives on the play: Fagnano avoided pressure, regrouped and was able to see downfield and launch it. WR fought off 2 DB's and made a contested catch for a TD. These things haven't happened often for UConn over the past decade.

Not every FBS QB can throw it that far and drop it on a space the size of dinner plate in motion like some of our fans seem to expect.

Reaction Score

Also keep in mind that defenders in position for a pick does not equal a pick. That play showed it. As have countless others every season..

Reaction Score
A couple of things make this qb situation a little different from the typical situation. Usually when the back up comes in for an injured qb everyone more or less knows it is a short term situation. Once the starter is recovered he will be back out there. In this case the 1 got hurt halfway through a blowout loss and the backup had a record setting day filling in. I dare say that is unusual. It was also game 1 and game 2 so the qb1 never really had a chance to establish himself. It is unusual but I’ve seen a qb who struggled for 3 quarters turn into Tom Brady in the 4th. Then add the differences in level of competition…very unusual set of circumstances.

CL82

Reaction Score
I understand your point, because it was a completion, but I disagree with it. Against most of the teams, we will play, that's an interception, or minimally an incomplete. That is the knock on Fagnano, in essence that his high watermark is being a good FCS quarterback. He's definitely deserving of the start this weekend and will get every chance to disprove that characterization.

For what it's worth, if it troubles you to think of that as being a criticism against Fagnano on the throw, think of it as a compliment to Porter and what was a very good catch.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, because it was a completion, but I disagree with it. Against most of the teams, we will play, that's an interception, or minimally an incomplete. That is the knock on Fagnano, in essence that his high watermark is being a good FCS quarterback. He's definitely deserving of the start this weekend and will get every chance to disprove that characterization.

For what it's worth, if it troubles you to think of that as being a criticism against Fagnano on the throw, think of it as a compliment to Porter and what was a very good catch.

He doesn’t make that throw into better coverage.

That’s good situational awareness.

Reaction Score

Nothing troubles me. Its s discussion is all. Overall its one of the better pass plays from a UConn QB in eons.

CL82

Reaction Score
He doesn’t make that throw into better coverage.

That’s good situational awareness.
Actually, coverage is pretty good on that play, in no small part because it was underthrown.

Whatever, it's all good. We will see how he does this weekend.

Reaction Score
Actually, coverage is pretty good on that play, in no small part because it was underthrown.

Whatever, it's all good. We will see how he does this weekend.

Actually it wasn’t and compared to Shamar the defender wasn’t athletic enough to defend it.

So it was a great throw and a great decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom