• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't rule out the possibility of keeping Fagnano healthy for the winnable games. The G5 games will determine if we make a bowl or not. In previous year's It seemed to me our team got fired up for the wrong games, maybe a correction has been made.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That would be overthinking this.

You might be right, but Fagnano is clearly a better QB and he won't be starting on Saturday. My theory is better than the Evers makes more money theory IMO.

Reaction Score
Evers must look unbelievable!!

If that is true either we are going to go 9-3 or Mora could lose the locker room. I'm in the "start JF" camp
Said this a couple days ago. Mora said he's not going to flip flop on starters and doesn't think that's how it should be. Also said, Evers won the starting QB job a couple weeks before the Maryland game. I was saying this could be the outcome and for everybody to temper their expectations because similar to your point... if you say this guy is our starter and we ain't flip flopping, then you could also lose the locker room for flip flopping on a your decision when you said you wouldn't. That's why it was always in the back of my mind that Evers if cleared would be back in the lineup.

Reaction Score
Said this a couple days ago. Mora said he's not going to flip flop on starters and doesn't think that's how it should be. Also said, Evers won the starting QB job a couple weeks before the Maryland game. I was saying this could be the outcome and for everybody to temper their expectations because similar to your point... if you say this guy is our starter and we ain't flip flopping, then you could also lose the locker room for flip flopping on a your decision when you said you wouldn't. That's why it was always in the back of my mind that Evers if cleared would be back in the lineup.

Except we have had two games since then and one QB looks more ready than the other. Don’t get in the way of success.

They can start Fagnano and if it doesn’t work then they can always try Evers again.

Reaction Score
Except we have had two games since then and one QB looks more ready than the other. Don’t get in the way of success.

They can start Fagnano and if it doesn’t work then they can always try Evers again.
That's likely not viable. Whoever the starter is.. Evers or Fagnano is getting the lion's share of the first team reps. We're in season now.. it's not summer camp anymore. Coaches watch film, come up with a game plan, pare down the playbook for the week to fit the game plan and then you spend the week implementing it. If it's Joe F. great. If it's Evers, great. But you don't have time anymore to let everybody get a bite at the apple during practice, because you need your starters to have the plan locked in. So it's not like you just say.. ah that's a rough start for Joe, let's throw Nick in there. If he could just hop in there and play better having gotten less reps in practice, then he likely should have been the start all along and vice versa.

Like I said in an earlier post, Evers went down with an injury and Joe F. stepped up and played great. What the coaches need to figure out is, if Evers wasn't hurt, he'd have started, and would we have had the same outcome and would we all be singing his praises for 5 td passes? If yes, then are we going to penalize a player for being injured and held out for medical? If no, then you have a much more clear cut answer.

Edit: Looks like all these things were said at the press conference today, looking at the Tweets posted in Duke game thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't rule out the possibility of keeping Fagnano healthy for the winnable games. The G5 games will determine if we make a bowl or not. In previous year's It seemed to me our team got fired up for the wrong games, maybe a correction has been made.
I hope not, that's a remarkably bad attitude to take with this. It also presumes Evers is a liability because that would be the reason you don't do it the other way around.

Reaction Score
I'm going to put my faith in Mora and go with whatever happens. Said before I'm not wedded to Fagnano and IF you can get evers into a groove he's probably the better option.

That being said, if it were me make the call I put Fagnano out there. We'll see what happens game day.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In 2010 Edsall decided to start a freshman QB (Box?) Instead of Frazer against Louisville yet he did not lose the locker room.

Some posters in this thread may be jumping to an erroneous conclusion if they believe starting Evers over Fagnano this week (if that does happen) would lose our HC the locker room.

And for the record, if Frazer was the QB in that game there is a reasonable chance that we would have won the conference outright that year.

Reaction Score
One and a half… against backups and an overmatched FCS team. He’s got to start whomever he thinks gives the team the best chance to win.

I don’t care who it is… but it’s not an apples to apples comparison anymore than comparing Welliver at the scrimmage (against the seconds) to Fagnano’s performance against the ones… after the scrimmage through Game 1 it was still a feeling many here held that Fagnano was only on the roster due to football nepotism towards the old OC and that his taking another meaningful snap was a sign it was time to pack it in.

I’m starting to think we (the boneyard) may not be the best people to make this call…. :D

Reaction Score
One and a half… against backups and an overmatched FCS team. He’s got to start whomever he thinks gives the team the best chance to win.

I don’t care who it is… but it’s not an apples to apples comparison anymore than comparing Welliver at the scrimmage (against the seconds) to Fagnano’s performance against the ones… after the scrimmage through Game 1 it was still a feeling many here held that Fagnano was only on the roster due to football nepotism towards the old OC and that his taking another meaningful snap was a sign it was time to pack it in.

I’m starting to think we (the boneyard) may not be the best people to make this call…. :D

It’s apples to pears and that’s close enough for me.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So apparently Mora said today that Evers will start if he has a good week in practice. This was EXACTLY what I was talking about, and certain prognosticators in this thread took issue with it.

Either way, I want our starting QB to light up Puke...

Reaction Score

I think Mora is building a relationship with Evers. He said he won the starter role and isn’t going to lose it due to injury. Also is tempering Merrimack results given they are FCS and Maryland is Big10.

Give Evers start. If offense is flat then JF gets shot. No issue with this.

Reaction Score
My guess is Evers won’t be ready to start due to health and not getting enough practice time. This game will be more telling if Joey really earns the job, no reason to declare a change based on merit until he has to

Reaction Score
I'm going to put my faith in Mora and go with whatever happens. Said before I'm not wedded to Fagnano and IF you can get evers into a groove he's probably the better option.

That being said, if it were me make the call I put Fagnano out there. We'll see what happens game day.
I can see Mora as the Yankee skipper taking Gerrit Cole into the 7th inning down a couple runs. Lol

Reaction Score
My guess is Evers won’t be ready to start due to health and not getting enough practice time. This game will be more telling if Joey really earns the job, no reason to declare a change based on merit until he has to
I actually think this is a real possibility. It is sort of a free play for Mora.

Reaction Score
I think Mora is building a relationship with Evers. He said he won the starter role and isn’t going to lose it due to injury. Also is tempering Merrimack results given they are FCS and Maryland is Big10.

Give Evers start. If offense is flat then JF gets shot. No issue with this.

Nah.

He's not even fully healthy yet and it's game week. Mora gave himself an out.

Reaction Score
I will stick with what I have been saying for 25 years. Anyone who believes that a head football coach speaks for the purpose of disseminating truth gets exactly what they deserve.

I have no predictions for the season, but I’ll believe Evers is starting Saturday when I see him walk on the field and not before. Far, far more likely, Mora is keeping the “starter” designation on him but assumes either he won’t be healthy enough or won’t be ready enough on Saturday, knowing that JF isn’t going to make anyone forget Tom Brady and Evers is likely to get another chance soon enough.

Reaction Score
Agree, but he did say Evers is the starter and wouldn’t lose by injury.
If Joe starts at Duke and has a similar game as Merrimack, would love to have that issue headed into following week. I think Mora would too.

Nah.

He's not even fully healthy yet and it's game week. Mora gave himself an out.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I'd rather see JF start, but let's not pretend like there's a whole lot of daylight between these two QBs. Makes for great discussion board fodder but on any given day either one of these guys could outperform the other.

There's no right choice when you're rolling the dice until you've seen the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom