The problem with starting Whitmer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The problem with starting Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're being funny, right?

Honestly, and seriously, I'd take either one right now. Whoever it is will be running for his life. Given our group of backs I wish we were running a wishbone or a flexbone offense.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Killin' time 'til Sheriffs. Let Boyle play, agreed. God how far we have fallen.
And as for the RB carousel....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, and seriously, I'd take either one right now. Whoever it is will be running for his life. Given our group of backs I wish we were running a wishbone or a flexbone offense.

Maybe so. But the Patriots seemingly fixed their OL troubles last night, with the same OL personnel. Instead they schemed differently and Tom was obviously given a directive to throw the ball quickly to whoever was open, rather than holding it for his favored guys to break open (as he had been doing). Boyle gets rid of the ball faster than Whitmer from what I can see, and he doesn't have happy feet. I think he can help reduce the pass rush if he can burn it a few times.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess (entirely a guess) is that Boyle has been bit nicked up, not to the point where in the football universe it would be viewed as an injury but enough to lead to siding in favor of caution on the coaching staff's part. I also believe that the staff would prefer he receive more work in practice (he was third string before Casey's retirement, meaning that first and second team reps were taken almost entirely, if not entirely by Cochrane and Whitmer) before throwing him to the lions.

We had a bye week, allowing for additional practice time. I fully expect to see far more of Boyle this week than have to this point. I also believe that by the time we return home Boyle will be our #1 QB.

As far as those favoring a redshirt for Boyle, while we still had Casey I was firmly in that camp and in all candor, if there were a means to pull it off this season after losing Casey I would likely have gone in that direction. Unfortunately we couldn't consider trying to finish the season with one scholarship QB from mid September forward if we had a great offensive line.

Reaction Score
Of course he can. Funny how our line got better last year with Cochrane at QB.

I guess you don't see the irony of correcting spelling/grammar in one post ... and then making a spelling error a few posts later. Myself? I would be very careful in my subsequent posts to make sure I was perfect.

Reaction Score
There are plenty who believe Boyle should sit or try for a redshirt. Where are these people? The RS is off the table now. Who are the people saying Boyle should sit? I want names. This is Straw Man #1. There is also the Boyle isn't ready argument we have seen on this thread. There are people, including me, who are not convinced that Boyle gives us the best chance to win but want to play him this year. Does that mean he's not ready? I don't know. I do know that my analysis is based on what we've seen in games. What is your analysis based on? Others still back Whitmer or trust what Diaco believes he is seeing in practice from Whitmer. Straw Man #2. That seems to be the position you are advocating. The idea that Whitmer will improve in games after observing he hasn't improved for three years runs counter to reality. Everyone agrees that Whitmer is what he is. Straw Man #3 that you arguing with yourself on. We know CW is awesome in a red jersey. He must be burning up practice.

Frustrated does not begin to describe how I feel when watching CW trot out game after game. How can the coach thinks there will be a different result? BTW, I appreciate every player who ever said "yes" to a UConn scholarship offer. This is completely about CW performance on the field.

Reaction Score
I guess you don't see the irony of correcting spelling/grammar in one post ... and then making a spelling error a few posts later. Myself? I would be very careful in my subsequent posts to make sure I was perfect.

Palatine also really likes Graham Steward.

Reaction Score

You really want to see more of Foxx at QB? I'm not sure how to respond.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unfortunately we couldn't consider trying to finish the season with one scholarship QB from mid September forward if we had a great offensive line.

But to date they could have gone with only Whitmer. They didn't have to put Boyle in a game yet.

Whitmer hasn't gotten hurt and they had plenty of time to get Foxx ready without him getting hurt.

It's like the worst of both worlds: No redshirt AND not enough playing time to develop or evaluate him.

I mean if the argument is going to be well if Whitmer gets hurt then somehow the 4-5 series Boyle has played in three games help him? Seriously?

Reaction Score
But to date they could have gone with only Whitmer. They didn't have to put Boyle in a game yet.

Whitmer hasn't gotten hurt and they had plenty of time to get Foxx ready without him getting hurt.

It's like the worst of both worlds: No redshirt AND not enough playing time to develop or evaluate him.

I mean if the argument is going to be well if Whitmer gets hurt then somehow the 4-5 series Boyle has played in three games help him? Seriously?

Boyle was only redshirted to put CC ahead him class-wise. Since Cochrane is gone there s no reason to redshirt Boyle.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This is just my opinion, but it looks like Diaco is playing for next year. One can argue that putting Boyle in is the best for that scenario, and I mostly agree. But if the thought process is that by putting Boyle in behind a line in shambles, that it actually hampers his progress and risks him getting seriously injured... That's a valid thought process too. In that sense, CW is a sacrificial lamb until we have a competent line.

Reaction Score
Boyle was only redshirted to put CC ahead him class-wise. Since Cochrane is gone there s no reason to redshirt Boyle.

It's Cochran. And there should be an apostrophe in "there's" instead of a space.

Also, nobody is suggesting that Boyle redshirt since, well, it's not possible any longer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Um ok.

Reaction Score
This is just my opinion, but it looks like Diaco is playing for next year. One can argue that putting Boyle in is the best for that scenario, and I mostly agree. But if the thought process is that by putting Boyle in behind a line in shambles, that it actually hampers his progress and risks him getting seriously injured... That's a valid thought process too. In that sense, CW is a sacrificial lamb until we have a competent line.

Which makes playing him sparingly all the more puzzling and bizarre.

If Boyle doesn't get increased play on Saturday and isn't named the starter for the rest of the I might get banned because I will hammer Diaco on this.

Reaction Score
You really want to see more of Foxx at QB? I'm not sure how to respond.

What's the worst that can happen? I personally don't have unreasonable expectations for this season, but even on a good day, Whitmer hasn't been efficient enough to produce on a consistent basis. I'll take a garbage time QB who can potentially produce positive plays with his feet and occasionally throw the ball, or a sophomore QB who only gave a small sampling during a brutal stretch of schedule his freshman year, over a 5th year senior who's proven to be largely unreliable the past few seasons, ANYTIME. I recognize the role the OL plays in the offensive struggles and ineptitude, but what else is there to think about? Either get Boyle some experience, or experiment with Foxx, but for the love of God, regardless of results (which we're apparently not playing for anyway), stop playing the same broken record and trotting Whitmer out onto the field every week.

Reaction Score
What's the worst that can happen? I personally don't have unreasonable expectations for this season, but even on a good day, Whitmer hasn't been efficient enough to produce on a consistent basis. I'll take a garbage time QB who can potentially produce positive plays with his feet and occasionally throw the ball, or a sophomore QB who only gave a small sampling during a brutal stretch of schedule his freshman year, over a 5th year senior who's proven to be largely unreliable the past few seasons, ANYTIME. I recognize the role the OL plays in the offensive struggles and ineptitude, but what else is there to think about? Either get Boyle some experience, or experiment with Foxx, but for the love of God, regardless of results (which we're apparently not playing for anyway), stop playing the same broken record and trotting Whitmer out onto the field every week.

I can't believe I state this, but you forced me to do it.

Playing our senior starting slot WR as QB may be the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard.

Foxx is a senior.

He is a starting WR (2nd best on the team).

We saw him in garbage time against Temple.

Other than that, it sounds like a great idea.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I state this, but you forced me to do it.

Playing our senior starting slot WR as QB may be the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard.

Foxx is a senior.

He is a starting WR (2nd best on the team).

We saw him in garbage time against Temple.

Other than that, it sounds like a great idea.

You call this a dumb suggestion and nominate it as maybe the dumbest you ever heard but the head Coach has tried it and has a "package of plays" for him as quarterback.

Reaction Score

That's exactly how it looks.

Reaction Score
You call this a dumb suggestion and nominate it as maybe the dumbest you ever heard but the head Coach has tried it and has a "package of plays" for him as quarterback.

Yes, and I think that's more of an indictment on Diaco's start than anything else.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I think that's more of an indictment on Diaco's start than anything else.

No it's a result of the loss of one quarterback and the ineffectiveness of number's 2 and 3 for whatever reason.

By the way, no one is "forcing you" to respond: you just can't keep your mouth shut!

Reaction Score
No it's a result of the loss of one quarterback and the ineffectiveness of number's 2 and 3 for whatever reason.

By the way, no one is "forcing you" to respond: you just can't keep your mouth shut!

I was actually responding to sub legacy, not you.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Which makes playing him sparingly all the more puzzling and bizarre.

If Boyle doesn't get increased play on Saturday and isn't named the starter for the rest of the I might get banned because I will hammer Diaco on this.
I think he's trying to walk a fine line of giving him game reps while simultaneously protecting him, and not really fulfilling either objective. I guess some game reps are better than no game reps?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We'll see how many people "like" your posts as opposed to mine in this thread. You are getting as bad as Muntz with the strawman. Yes, strawman, as in one word. Know why? Cause I don't give a fugg.
It's not so much a straw man as it is beating a dead horse. But yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom