The problem with starting Whitmer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The problem with starting Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This would be 100 percent reasonable if we hadn't burned his redshirt. So let's just waste an entire year of his eligibility for nothing.

I was not one in favor of keeping his redshirt after Cochran (not Cochrane) went down because I can't care about 2017 right now. But it is simple. Play him or RS him. And since you can't RS him, the answer is clear. This just doesn't make any sense.

To me this has nothing at all to do with Whitmer. Now that this team has proven it isn't going to get to a bowl, let's get this thing set up right for next year. And that includes LOTS of reps for Boyle.

If this does not happen, those who thought my criticism of Diaco earlier was harsh will probably want to put me on ignore. Fair warning.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
It's impressive how good you are at completely ignoring any fact that doesn't support your narrative. Much like Waylon. Anywho. Did Boyle get better under last year's o line? No. Did Cochran beat the three worst teams on our schedule? Yes. Behind this o line he suffered a career ending injury.

Rutgers and Temple were not the worst teams on our schedule. Memphis looks pretty good right now too. That argument just doesn't hold water.

We lost to Towson, Buffalo and USF before Casey took over. I hate people degrading his accomplishment, especially when he took such a beating for us that he had to give up his lifelong passion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The calculus is simple, really: On a team of constant collapsing pockets, which quarterback can run for his life better?

I mean, that is literally the only decision that Diaco has had to make up until now. And in my opinion, he has made the correct choice. It's also the reason why we saw Deshon Foxx at QB. We need someone who is able to run for his life after a 2.5 second pocket evaporates. That's the main reason why Boyle hasn't played as much, and likely is the reason that we will continue to see a lot of Whitmer or maybe even Foxx.

I'm confident that Boyle could be a real gunslinger if he was assured to get a clean pocket on most occasions. But he won't. So he can't. Having a stationary QB with this line is literally a death sentence...
I totally agree.

Skill sets:
1. Arm strength and accuracy: Boyle>Chandler>Cochran
2. Play development: Cochran>>Chandler>>Boyle
3. Mobility: Cochran>>Chandler>>>>Boyle
4. Seeing over the linemen: Boyle>/=Chandler>>>Cochran

With a really good pass protecting line and receivers that can get separation it would be a no brainer- Boyle should start. But with this line in it's current state of development we better hope Boyle sees the field for limited minutes. If Chandler gets injured or Warde and the heavy hitters put pressure on Diaco, the people in this thread will get their wish and I dread the consequences. With that lines inability to protect and Boyles lack of mobility, concussion is not out of the question. And I strongly doubt that getting sacked during every pass play develops a QB.

Next season the line should be better than this season. That's the time to play Boyle or one of the new QB's.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
More inertia means less head whipping. Parcells always wanted his QB's coming out of college to put on weight.
More weight / inertia also means higher force collisions. Especially if the other guy is big too.

Reaction Score
I've come around on playing Boyle if he's healthy. Mostly just because it is clear that using Whitmer isn't working. Time for Plan B. I don't really expect to see much different from Boyle but we just need to find out once and for all what we have. If he is the future, and he stays healthy, we'll have a sense of that. If not, we ought to have a sense of that, too. But to me, the fact that Boyle couldn't beat out Whitmer for the #2 spot in August, and can't beat him out now, makes me think he's probably not beating out anyone next year or the year after either. I suspect we see a totally re-vamped offense in 2015 run by a quarterback who isn't on the active roster in 2014. Whether that's Davis, Shireffs, Davis or someone else like a JUCO or a 5th year guy, I don't know. But that's what I think we'll see. As for the Foxx "experiment" I take that as just an opportunity to get the emergency quarterback some experience in a game that was over. Boyle was reportedly hurting, no sense in leaving Whitmer in there to take a beating. If Boyle remains limited, Foxx might have to step in at some point, so best just give him a few plays to get acclimated to the job.

To me the big question is Boyle's health. Diaco keeps saying he's hurt, but not injured, or injured but not hurt or has a lower leg problem or variations on those themes. I'm a little surprised that somebody hasn't tried to get more information on that, being that the kid is local and somebody probably knows details. But in any case, if he is not physically up to playing this is all a completely moot discussion. Be nice if somebody, Diaco, Boyle, Des, someone, got some info.

Reaction Score
And Boyle faced many tough teams and got darn little support from our wide outs.

But they've been incredible for Whitmer.
Rutgers and Temple were not the worst teams on our schedule. Memphis looks pretty good right now too. That argument just doesn't hold water.

We lost to Towson, Buffalo and USF before Casey took over. I hate people degrading his accomplishment, especially when he took such a beating for us that he had to give up his lifelong passion.

I hate people degrading our Fiesta Bowl, and conference championships, but it still happens years (and 2 coaching staffs) later.

It doesn't matter what Memphis looks like now. They were terrible last year.

Towson would have beaten Memphis, Rutgers, and USF last year, Buffalo too. Towson lost in the National Championship game.

The fact he took such a beating is exactly the point I'm making. Palatine keeps saying Boyle should play because the O-Line last year was better under Cochran.

It's been so good this year Cochran's career was ended in the first game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have to believe that there is a bit more to Boyle's (non) injury than we have been told (that Diaco is keeping a player's health status quiet is fine by the way). That Boyle hasn't played much through the first couple of weeks since Casey's retirement does not mean that he won't play at all (and I imagine the additional week of practice time will lead to far more game time Saturday).

As far as Boyle's mobility (in response to Fleud's post) when all are healthy he is clearly ahead of both Whitmer and Cochran (and I believe Whitmer is ahead of Cochran, even with the all too often scrambles into pressure).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have to believe that there is a bit more to Boyle's (non) injury than we have been told (that Diaco is keeping a player's health status quiet is fine by the way). That Boyle hasn't played much through the first couple of weeks since Casey's retirement does not mean that he won't play at all (and I imagine the additional week of practice time will lead to far more game time Saturday).

As far as Boyle's mobility (in response to Fleud's post) when all are healthy he is clearly ahead of both Whitmer and Cochran (and I believe Whitmer is ahead of Cochran, even with the all too often scrambles into pressure).
That's interesting. I can only assess things from the games I'm watching on television. Live in SC. I don't remember Boyle's play from last season. I'm going by this season. So if he was very mobile last season and not this season an injury is very likely.

What's do you think was the reason Boyle was third on the depth chart prior to the start of this season?

Reaction Score

groin

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I've come around on playing Boyle if he's healthy. Mostly just because it is clear that using Whitmer isn't working. Time for Plan B. I don't really expect to see much different from Boyle but we just need to find out once and for all what we have. If he is the future, and he stays healthy, we'll have a sense of that. If not, we ought to have a sense of that, too. But to me, the fact that Boyle couldn't beat out Whitmer for the #2 spot in August, and can't beat him out now, makes me think he's probably not beating out anyone next year or the year after either. I suspect we see a totally re-vamped offense in 2015 run by a quarterback who isn't on the active roster in 2014. Whether that's Davis, Shireffs, Davis or someone else like a JUCO or a 5th year guy, I don't know. But that's what I think we'll see. As for the Foxx "experiment" I take that as just an opportunity to get the emergency quarterback some experience in a game that was over. Boyle was reportedly hurting, no sense in leaving Whitmer in there to take a beating. If Boyle remains limited, Foxx might have to step in at some point, so best just give him a few plays to get acclimated to the job.

To me the big question is Boyle's health. Diaco keeps saying he's hurt, but not injured, or injured but not hurt or has a lower leg problem or variations on those themes. I'm a little surprised that somebody hasn't tried to get more information on that, being that the kid is local and somebody probably knows details. But in any case, if he is not physically up to playing this is all a completely moot discussion. Be nice if somebody, Diaco, Boyle, Des, someone, got some info.

its a booboo...leg pain.

He is healthy enough for 5-10 snaps a game.

Reaction Score
its a booboo...leg pain.

He is healthy enough for 5-10 snaps a game.
Taht sort of begs the question, right? Did he play 8 snaps because that's all Dicao wanted him to play or because his leg/whatever it is hurt when he was out there, or because whatever it is made him ineffective so they decided not to use him?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Taht sort of begs the question, right? Did he play 8 snaps because that's all Dicao wanted him to play or because his leg/whatever it is hurt when he was out there, or because whatever it is made him ineffective so they decided not to use him?

DING DING DING - Winner!

The only way we would ever find that out is if the CT Media asked pertinent follow up questions - so we will never know.

Reaction Score
DING DING DING - Winner!

The only way we would ever find that out is if the CT Media asked pertinent follow up questions - so we will never know.

I will bet that the Ct media do know what's wrong with Whitmer but don't share that because it would alienate them from the coaching staff and they would end up on the "outside" of UConn football.

HCBD is a control freak and doesn't want to share any information about the team unless it suits his purposes.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I will bet that the Ct media do know what's wrong with Whitmer but don't share that because it would alienate them from the coaching staff and they would end up on the "outside" of UConn football.

HCBD is a control freak and doesn't want to share any information about the team unless it suits his purposes.

Well then you aren't media - can't be media worrying about alienating people - uncover truths and wrongs of the world.

If you end up on the outside of UConn FB - come here and tell your story - the masses would march.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You could replace "HCBD" with the name of any coach at the college or pro level at that would be a mostly true statement.

If part of your criteria for a head coach is to be completely open about even the most minute details, you won't get anyone worth their salt to coach at this level. How do you know what questions have or have not been asked? Unless you are a credentialed member of the media, you have no idea. Yes, speaking with the media is part of his job, but Diaco's loyalty is to his players, as it should be.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You could replace "HCBD" with the name of any coach at the college or pro level at that would be a mostly true statement.

If part of your criteria for a head coach is to be completely open about even the most minute details, you won't get anyone worth their salt to coach at this level. How do you know what questions have or have not been asked? Unless you are a credentialed member of the media, you have no idea. Yes, speaking with the media is part of his job, but Diaco's loyalty is to his players, as it should be.

We dont know - but a media person could write something to this effect -

"I asked the following follow up question ....." the response from HCBD was 'Not answering that' or whatever the coach response was. I have no faith in follow up questions being asked - they (media) are mostly likely just accepting the spoon feeding.

Reaction Score

"I asked the following follow up question ....." the response from HCBD was 'Not answering that' or whatever the coach response was. I have no faith in follow up questions being asked - they (media) are mostly likely just accepting the spoon feeding.

Bonehead, your view of what the media should be is an idealized view. Not like that in real life. Nobody is paying media people to come to the Boneyard.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They would never throw themselves or Diaco under the bus like that. Plus, in Diaco's mind, it's been asked and answered already. Didn't he state after Temple that they want Boyle to play as much as he can? Diaco has cited health privacy laws and won't comment on a player's injury. Bottom line is that if Boyle still has uncomfortable lower leg pain, he can't be trusted to be effective. The pain has to retreat below Boyles threshold so he can operate as if he is not aware of it and at that point he can be more effective.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
They would never throw themselves or Diaco under the bus like that. Plus, in Diaco's mind, it's been asked and answered already. Didn't he state after Temple that they want Boyle to play as much as he can? Diaco has cited health privacy laws and won't comment on a player's injury. Bottom line is that if Boyle still has uncomfortable lower leg pain, he can't be trusted to be effective. The pain has to retreat below Boyles threshold so he can operate as if he is not aware of it and at that point he can be more effective.

Florida State is so criminal they don't care about HIPAA-

-Center Austin Barron suffered a fractured arm on the second offensive series of the game Saturday and is out indefinitely.
-FSU coach Jimbo Fisher hopes Greene, a senior, will be available based on his early progress. Greene did not play in the second half of last weekend's 43-3 win against Wake Forest after sustaining a concussion late in the second quarter, which made him dizzy and caused him to vomit at halftime.
-Fisher said Greene, who is four catches shy of becoming the school's career receptions leader, is progressing better than Mario Edwards Jr. and Mario Pender, who both missed the NC State game after suffering concussions in the prior game. Defensive back Trey Marshall, who missed the Wake Forest game, is still dealing with symptoms from a concussion.
-Backup quarterback Sean Maguire injured a bone in his hand in mop-up duty against Wake Forest and could be out for "a week or two," Fisher said.
-Backup defensive tackle Demarcus Christmas will miss Saturday's game after suffering a high ankle sprain against Wake Forest.
-Defensive tackle Nile Lawrence-Stample was lost for the season in September with a torn pectoral, and the Seminoles are thin at the position.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-players-injured-no-1-florida-state-seminoles

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Florida State is so criminal they don't care about HIPAA-

-Center Austin Barron suffered a fractured arm on the second offensive series of the game Saturday and is out indefinitely.
-FSU coach Jimbo Fisher hopes Greene, a senior, will be available based on his early progress. Greene did not play in the second half of last weekend's 43-3 win against Wake Forest after sustaining a concussion late in the second quarter, which made him dizzy and caused him to vomit at halftime.
-Fisher said Greene, who is four catches shy of becoming the school's career receptions leader, is progressing better than Mario Edwards Jr. and Mario Pender, who both missed the NC State game after suffering concussions in the prior game. Defensive back Trey Marshall, who missed the Wake Forest game, is still dealing with symptoms from a concussion.
-Backup quarterback Sean Maguire injured a bone in his hand in mop-up duty against Wake Forest and could be out for "a week or two," Fisher said.
-Backup defensive tackle Demarcus Christmas will miss Saturday's game after suffering a high ankle sprain against Wake Forest.
-Defensive tackle Nile Lawrence-Stample was lost for the season in September with a torn pectoral, and the Seminoles are thin at the position.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-players-injured-no-1-florida-state-seminoles

You can sign away your right to privacy and allow them to share it.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Bonehead, your view of what the media should be is an idealized view. Not like that in real life. Nobody is paying media people to come to the Boneyard.

No - you missed my point - not pay media to come to BY - if they get 'blacklisted' by UConn FB for asking follow up questions they can come to the BY - and the BY masses would march in their defense.

:)

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You can sign away your right to privacy and allow them to share it.

So you know that all Florida State FB team members signed away their right to privacy and all UConn FB players refused - or are you just guessing?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you know that all Florida State FB team members signed away their right to privacy and all UConn FB players refused - or are you just guessing?

I would guess that Florida State had the players sign and that UConn isn't interested in sharing the information so they don't ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom