The problem with starting Whitmer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The problem with starting Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well if Florida State does it, then I guess it's okay.

You know, You're right. I was in the jury pool for a criminal case involving s3xual assault (I wasn't picked). During the Voir Dire process, the defense hinted that their defense was centered on precedent. If Jameis Winston was let off the hook, so should their client.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

If a Big Time program isnt afraid to hide their booboos and not breaking HIPAA laws why are we doing it - competitive advantage?

Bonehead

Reaction Score

You know, You're right. I was in the jury pool for a criminal case involving s3xual assault (I wasn't picked). During the Voir Dire process, the defense hinted that their defense was centered on precedent. If Jameis Winston was let off the hook, so should their client.

I am talking about reporting injuries...

Nice view though! I actually am in the camp of NOT recruiting shady recruits where others would say we have to do that to be big time FB program. Lets stay on reporting injuries - you are moving the goal posts on this convo!
:)

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that if Boyle still has uncomfortable lower leg pain, he can't be trusted to be effective.

Then why even put him on the field in game conditions?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If a Big Time program isnt afraid to hide their booboos and not breaking HIPAA laws why are we doing it - competitive advantage?

Just a guess but it's probably a decision made at a higher level than the football program. As an athletic department whatever lawyer though about it told them it was the direction to go in.

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts on the qb situation which might explain why Boyle isn't playing more. I was listening to Boomer Esiason on his radio show yesterday morning and he was talking about Geno Smith and his struggles and relating to when he played with the Jets. Maybe Boyle's problem and Whitmer for that matter is communicating with the o-line.
Here's some quotes from Boomer on NJ.com
On Monday morning's "Boomer & Carton," Esiason spoke about Smith's poise by looking back at his own situation when he joined the Jets in 1993: When quarterback Browning Nagle played, he remembered the offensive line struggled, while Jeff Criswell and Dave Cadigan (aka "the Penalty Pals") took holding calls because of the QB "had no clue how to run an offense...at the line of scrimmage."

"When you hang your offensive lineman out to dry out there without being a good communicator," he continued, "being loud so they can hear you, knowing what snap count it's on, that there's no indecision on the offensive line, then they can play a much cleaner game."

Esiason noted when he arrived, the penalties and sacks went down -- he also used the Bills recent quarterback change (from E.J. Manuel to veteran Kyle Orton) as an example of how a switch can ignite a team.

He later called Smith "detached," too, just to pile on the second-year QB further.

Maybe Boyle has no clue how to run a college offense, including the lack of experience with the o-line its a catostrophe. As to Whitmer I think i remember some posters saying that he was detached from the team on the sidelines with his attitude in some games. Plus maybe he's a bad communicator, I'm not sure if their allowed to call audibles like in the pro's but all the penalties and missed blocks might not all be on the o-line. There's a reason why Cochran was the starter, maybe his intangibles was communicating with the o-line and their might be a reason why he is a coach in waiting. Just a thought, that i never considered.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Just a guess but it's probably a decision made at a higher level than the football program. As an athletic department whatever lawyer though about it told them it was the direction to go in.

Fair enough - I dont buy it but we all arent ever going to agree on the BoneYard.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It sounds like one of the media asked Boyle about his injury (via runway blog) :

He (Diaco) also said he'd like to continue to use multiple quarterbacks but how much he utilizes sophomore backup Tim Boyle will be determined by how he is feeling.

"Nothing too crazy," Boyle said of his lower-leg discomfort, "I am physically able to go but just some discomfort here and there.

"I'm very anxious, this discomfort has been there for a little bit. I am fighting through it, doing rehab. I can't wait to feel 100 percent and excited to get out there."
Still vague... Perhaps it's more tightness or soreness that prevents him from being as mobile or just performing as normal. Tendinitis (discussed earlier) also sounds like a good guess.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I am talking about reporting injuries...

Nice view though! I actually am in the camp of NOT recruiting shady recruits where others would say we have to do that to be big time FB program. Lets stay on reporting injuries - you are moving the goal posts on this convo!

I really don't think using Florida State as a model for how things are done is one of your better ideas. It's a personal decision and it appears that Diaco doesn't want to go even remotely close to the line. If it's a bad injury, fans have heard it. Boyle is week to week with a leg.

I'd like to see Boyle play more too. Whitmer doesn't bring anything to the table, but apparently he is more effective than Boyle right now. Once Boyle is healthy, he'll play. It's as if you've never heard coachspeak before. Move on.

Then why even put him on the field in game conditions?
Calvin Johnson didn't practice before week 4, he was a decoy during the game. He was limited in practice before game 5 and not very effective. A few years ago, Hakeem Nicks practiced a handful of times during a 17 week season but played in all the games. Game conditions are sometimes less strenuous than practice drills. Do you know if Boyle is practicing? Is he limited? I don't know. Perhaps Saturdays is the only time he gets his adrenaline flowing to truly test it out.

My guess (and I'm on the record) is that he has turf toe, tendinitis, or a contusion. Something that won't get any worse, but where the pain has to be managed. Boyle is not injured, but he is hurt and the pain is making him less effective than Whitmer.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I really don't think using Florida State as a model for how things are done is one of your better ideas. It's a personal decision and it appears that Diaco doesn't want to go even remotely close to the line. If it's a bad injury, fans have heard it. Boyle is week to week with a leg.

I'd like to see Boyle play more too. Whitmer doesn't bring anything to the table, but apparently he is more effective than Boyle right now. Once Boyle is healthy, he'll play. It's as if you've never heard coachspeak before. Move on.

Calvin Johnson didn't practice before week 4, he was a decoy during the game. He was limited in practice before game 5 and not very effective. A few years ago, Hakeem Nicks practiced a handful of times during a 17 week season but played in all the games. Game conditions are sometimes less strenuous than practice drills. Do you know if Boyle is practicing? Is he limited? I don't know. Perhaps Saturdays is the only time he gets his adrenaline flowing to truly test it out.

My guess (and I'm on the record) is that he has turf toe, tendinitis, or a contusion. Something that won't get any worse, but where the pain has to be managed. Boyle is not injured, but he is hurt and the pain is making him less effective than Whitmer.

I have heard coachspeak before - just come out and say he has turf toe - what is the big F*&^ing deal in giving out the information - 'Tim Boyle has pain from tendinitis in his left knee' as an example.

You want me to use Alabama as a model? Yale? (ill have to search if you say yes :))

OXFORD, Miss. — In addition to taking its first loss of the season, the University of Alabama’s 23-17 game at Ole Miss was also costly in terms of personnel on Saturday.
Junior running back Kenyan Drake endured a horrific broken leg, junior linebacker Denzel Devall left with a high ankle sprain, and junior center Ryan Kelly sustained a sprained knee.
“We took him to Birmingham already,” Saban said about Drake. “He’ll probably need surgery. We don’t know exactly how long that deal will keep him out, most of the season if not all the season.”

They didnt say "Junior running back Kenyan Drake endured a horrific lower body injury, junior linebacker Denzel Devall left with a lower body pain, and junior center Ryan Kelly sustained a lower body booboo.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-injury-report-drake-broke-leg-two-others/

Coach speak from one of the best - doesnt feel the need to control every ounce of information, they all must have signed the HIPAA waiver and he is successful. Ill move on at your request - but it might suit Bob to be more concerned with coaching and X's and O's then getting caught up in what information is deciminated about injuries. Dont let the small stuff get in the way of the big stuff.

Moving on.

Reaction Score
Fair enough - I dont buy it but we all arent ever going to agree on the BoneYard.

I've got one problem with this idea of a fearful media. The media that covers RD is essentially the same crew, representing the same outlets, that went toe-to-toe with JC. It's hard for me to believe that this pack of vultures is suddenly afraid of a rookie FB coach with a 1-and-4 record. The media looks for reasons to develop contentious relationships. The media thrives on the adversarial and makes it tomorrow's Headlines. If our, ever-on-the-alert-for-the-next-let's-screw-UCONN-story, media had a bone to pick with RD, they'd pick it; in 25PT bold-face.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Coach speak from one of the best -
No, Sir. This is coach speak from one of the best.

Q: How close was Rob Gronkowski to playing yesterday?

BB: I don’t know. He was inactive.

Q: Did he have a shot to play?

BB: He was inactive.

Q: Going into the day, was there a chance he’d play?

BB: He was inactive for the game.

Q: What about Danny Amendola?

BB: He was inactive too.

Q: I know they were inactive.

BB: They were inactive so they didn’t play.

Q: I think you have an idea how close they were.

BB: Well, they weren’t able to play. What do you want, percentage points? They couldn’t play.

Q: Going into the day, did you know they couldn’t play?

BB: They were inactive.

Q: That doesn’t answer my question.

BB: They were inactive, it’s as simple as that.
;)

Reaction Score
No - you missed my point - not pay media to come to BY - if they get 'blacklisted' by UConn FB for asking follow up questions they can come to the BY - and the BY masses would march in their defense.

I give. My point was that you are speaking of the media in an idealized way.:)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
IStill vague... Perhaps it's more tightness or soreness that prevents him from being as mobile or just performing as normal. Tendinitis (discussed earlier) also sounds like a good guess.

Reminds of one of the themes that ran through Ball Four, "It's not sore, it's just a little stiff." Do we have a diathermy machine?

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts on the qb situation which might explain why Boyle isn't playing more. I was listening to Boomer Esiason on his radio show yesterday morning and he was talking about Geno Smith and his struggles and relating to when he played with the Jets. Maybe Boyle's problem and Whitmer for that matter is communicating with the o-line.
Here's some quotes from Boomer on NJ.com
On Monday morning's "Boomer & Carton," Esiason spoke about Smith's poise by looking back at his own situation when he joined the Jets in 1993: When quarterback Browning Nagle played, he remembered the offensive line struggled, while Jeff Criswell and Dave Cadigan (aka "the Penalty Pals") took holding calls because of the QB "had no clue how to run an offense...at the line of scrimmage."

Don't forget the overall talent level differential between D1 and NFL.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

My guess is that the leadership (from school president on down) of our university has a slightly different philosophy than their counterparts at FSU.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
My guess is that the leadership (from school president on down) of our university has a slightly different philosophy than their counterparts at FSU.

And Alabama -

I guess their philosophy was different than Louisvilles when it came to conference realignment also. Our leadership philosophy could be questioned on a couple of fronts besides reporting injuries.

You can drink the cool aid on this one - I am going to spit it out.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
No, Sir. This is coach speak from one of the best.

;)

So now you are comparing Bob Diaco to Bill B?

Oh boy - but he cant be compared to Jimbo Fisher or Saban?

OK

Husky25

Reaction Score
So now you are comparing Bob Diaco to Bill B?

Oh boy - but he cant be compared to Jimbo Fisher or Saban?

OK
Where did compare Coach Diaco to Belichick? I said that Belichick was one of the best and a master at coach speak.

But now that you mention it, Belichick went 5-11 his first year with the Patriots with Pete Carroll and Bill Parcells' players, before winning the Super Bowl with defense and a dink and dunk offense. Would it really be the end of the world if Diaco became comparable to Belichick?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Where did compare Coach Diaco to Belichick? I said that Belichick was one of the best and a master at coach speak.

But now that you mention it, Belichick went 5-11 his first year with the Patriots with Pete Carroll and Bill Parcells' players, before winning the Super Bowl with defense and a dink and dunk offense. Would it really be the end of the world if Diaco became comparable to Belichick?

No it would not be the end of the world if Diaco became comparable to Belichick - but we were comparing college football teams injury reports and you called his 'kool aid' coach speak and went on to show how Belichick has coach speak.

Back to the original point I was trying to make - it is ok for Alabama and Florida State (recent National Champions) to give out injury reports but when the guy who hasnt won a SB in 10 years and a newcomer dont, its coach speak.
Diaco wants to stand behind this HIPAA thing he can but its all smoke...

Reaction Score
And Alabama -

I guess their philosophy was different than Louisvilles when it came to conference realignment also. Our leadership philosophy could be questioned on a couple of fronts besides reporting injuries.

You can drink the cool aid on this one - I am going to spit it out.

Kool-Aid. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69