The problem with starting Whitmer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The problem with starting Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he's trying to walk a fine line of giving him game reps while simultaneously protecting him, and not really fulfilling either objective. I guess some game reps are better than no game reps?
My take as well.

That line couldn't block a bunch of grannies with walkers. With CC out the redshirt was burned and although Boyle isn't near ready, getting him in the game removes some of the jitters until the first rush by the other teams defense. In the limited time he has been in I haven't seen anything from him to give me hope so I'm totally baffled by the number of people who want him to start. If someone makes the argument he needs time to get a feel for the game I totally understand that. And I'll argue back that the offensive line will very unlikely provide him with that time.

At least with him as a back up, we can pretend there is hope. I get Palatine making the argument that Boyle should start. He generally struggles to extrapolate. But some of the other posters in this thread I just don't get!

The last thing I expected was such utter deflation in the football forum. I used to think it was the most stoic forum on the Boneyard. I guess there is a limit to stoicism. To expand upon Jimmy and Pals debate I think the Temple game is the straw that broke the Huskies back!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No it's a result of the loss of one quarterback and the ineffectiveness of number's 2 and 3 for whatever reason.

By the way, no one is "forcing you" to respond: you just can't keep your mouth shut!

Jimmy can take care of himself, but this isn't really about him. No one may be forcing him to respond, but no one is also forcing anyone else to be a fan of or follow UConn football.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Jimmy can take care of himself, but this isn't really about him. No one may be forcing him to respond, but no one is also forcing anyone else to be a fan of or follow UConn football.
I don't know about that. I've been forcing myself to follow the team a lot this year!:(

Reaction Score
Playing our senior starting slot WR as QB may be the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard.

If (and its a big if) Diaco has plans in the future for a mobile QB (I've heard Davis and Shariffs fit this mold?) then I wonder if Diaco is trying to implement his system using Foxx (was a HS QB?) now since the season is pretty much in the toilet anyway? Its the best straw man I can come up with :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If (and its a big if) Diaco has plans in the future for a mobile QB (I've heard Davis and Shariffs fit this mold?) then I wonder if Diaco is trying to implement his system using Foxx (was a HS QB?) now since the season is pretty much in the toilet anyway? Its the best straw man I can come up with :)

Valid if he puts Foxx in and plays him the whole game. Otherwise makes no sense.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We'll see how many people "like" your posts as opposed to mine in this thread. You are getting as bad as Muntz with the strawman. Yes, strawman, as in one word. Know why? Cause I don't give a fugg.

Status quote isn't working, so starting Boyle at least would be doing something. I think most fans want something different than what is happening now.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is signs of insanity.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I've been forcing myself to follow the team a lot this year!:(
I'm just sick and tired of the negativity. The program sucks, the coach sucks, the QB sucks, the conference sucks, the Athletic Director sucks.

Jeezus Crise, give the guy (Diaco) more than a month to turn the ship around!! He wasn't exactly handed the keys to Nadine Belfort's yacht. He's traversing the Atlantic in a dingy.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We can't win with Chandler Whitmer.

We all know this - we've seen it attempted and it goes horrifically wrong.

He gives the other team touchdowns. He actually hands them points on a game by game basis.

If the other team never bothered to field an offense, Chandler would still manage to lose some games - he is that prolific in his ability to directly put points on the board for the opposition. If we played a top 40 team and they promised to punt on first down for the entire game, some would still beat us handily.

Can we win with Boyle? I don't know, but even doubt is preferable to the certainty of Whitmer.

Reaction Score

Check Shirreffs on Hudl. Strong arm- very mobile.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/532831/highlights/21966541

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Status quote isn't working, so starting Boyle at least would be doing something. I think most fans want something different than what is happening now.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is signs of insanity.
I'm going to take the opposite argument. I don't see anything in Boyle that gives me the impression he should start. So how is starting him rationale. It's a view of desperation imo. Maybe it will satisfy most of us but it isn't without serious consequences.

Here are some things to ponder. Is an injury possible? Is there a greater likelihood of that happening the more minutes he's playing? Has the offensive line and running backs shown they could protect him? Is he better at scrambling and running for gains than Chandler? What are the consequences if he gets hurt and it's a season, or worse, a career ending injury?

Every answer I come up says that he's likely to get hurt. So I'm praying like crazy that the line can improve but if that's not possible, and it doesn't appear likely, I'm praying that CW can be the guy that takes the punishment over an over again protecting Boyle for the future. And instead of making him a goat, I admire him for taking the punishment he's taken. Like him or not he's handling a poor situation much better than some of us.

Reaction Score

We almost all universally agree that we'd rather see Boyle than Whitmer.

This thread is exactly what Palatine had hoped it'd become. So congratulations to him.

Reaction Score
It has been said before and I'll say it again. Diaco appears to be trying to build a foundation for the future. The longer Boyle doesn't play, the more it tells me Boyle is not ready to even prepare to be "the future".

That said, we still don't know if Diaco is protecting Boyle from a beating due to our OL deficiencies. There is so much going on behind the scenes we don't know.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see 50 /50 Boyle and Foxx out of the gate and then stick with whatever is working. Foxx can put a lot of pressure on the defense with his speed. I personally love watching option football and hope we start to see it.

Reaction Score
Of course he can. Funny how our line got better last year with Cochrane at QB.
It's impressive how good you are at completely ignoring any fact that doesn't support your narrative. Much like Waylon.

Anywho.

Did Boyle get better under last year's o line? No.

Did Cochran beat the three worst teams on our schedule? Yes.

Behind this o line he suffered a career ending injury.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How does weight keep one from getting concussions?

Reaction Score
Shirreffs won't last very long if he checks in at 216 next year.

It a shame Russell Wilson only weighs 206. ;)

Only caveat is if that was a veiled reference to our O-Line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
More inertia means less head whipping. Parcells always wanted his QB's coming out of college to put on weight.

I guess I'd like to see some science
before I assume that's true.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm going to take the opposite argument. I don't see anything in Boyle that gives me the impression he should start. So how is starting him rationale. It's a view of desperation imo. Maybe it will satisfy most of us but it isn't without serious consequences.

Here are some things to ponder. Is an injury possible? Is there a greater likelihood of that happening the more minutes he's playing? Has the offensive line and running backs shown they could protect him? Is he better at scrambling and running for gains than Chandler? What are the consequences if he gets hurt and it's a season, or worse, a career ending injury?

Every answer I come up says that he's likely to get hurt. So I'm praying like crazy that the line can improve but if that's not possible, and it doesn't appear likely, I'm praying that CW can be the guy that takes the punishment over an over again protecting Boyle for the future. And instead of making him a goat, I admire him for taking the punishment he's taken. Like him or not he's handling a poor situation much better than some of us.

The calculus is simple, really: On a team of constant collapsing pockets, which quarterback can run for his life better?

I mean, that is literally the only decision that Diaco has had to make up until now. And in my opinion, he has made the correct choice. It's also the reason why we saw Deshon Foxx at QB. We need someone who is able to run for his life after a 2.5 second pocket evaporates. That's the main reason why Boyle hasn't played as much, and likely is the reason that we will continue to see a lot of Whitmer or maybe even Foxx.

I'm confident that Boyle could be a real gunslinger if he was assured to get a clean pocket on most occasions. But he won't. So he can't. Having a stationary QB with this line is literally a death sentence...

Reaction Score
fleudslipcon said:
I'm going to take the opposite argument. I don't see anything in Boyle that gives me the impression he should start. So how is starting him rationale. It's a view of desperation imo. Maybe it will satisfy most of us but it isn't without serious consequences. Here are some things to ponder. Is an injury possible? Is there a greater likelihood of that happening the more minutes he's playing? Has the offensive line and running backs shown they could protect him? Is he better at scrambling and running for gains than Chandler? What are the consequences if he gets hurt and it's a season, or worse, a career ending injury? Every answer I come up says that he's likely to get hurt. So I'm praying like crazy that the line can improve but if that's not possible, and it doesn't appear likely, I'm praying that CW can be the guy that takes the punishment over an over again protecting Boyle for the future. And instead of making him a goat, I admire him for taking the punishment he's taken. Like him or not he's handling a poor situation much better than some of us.

This would be 100 percent reasonable if we hadn't burned his redshirt. So let's just waste an entire year of his eligibility for nothing.

I was not one in favor of keeping his redshirt after Cochran (not Cochrane) went down because I can't care about 2017 right now. But it is simple. Play him or RS him. And since you can't RS him, the answer is clear. This just doesn't make any sense.

To me this has nothing at all to do with Whitmer. Now that this team has proven it isn't going to get to a bowl, let's get this thing set up right for next year. And that includes LOTS of reps for Boyle.

Reaction Score
It's impressive how good you are at completely ignoring any fact that doesn't support your narrative. Much like Waylon.

Anywho.

Did Boyle get better under last year's o line? No.

Did Cochran beat the three worst teams on our schedule? Yes.

Behind this o line he suffered a career ending injury.

Not true, Rutgers was not one of the worse teams on our schedule.

And Boyle faced many tough teams and got darn little support from our wide outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom