The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 27 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

Reaction Score
What's your point? You looked at it from games played, I broke it down to PAs/ABs.

Anyway, stats are limited. You could say Ruth benefited from not having to face Blacks, or different relievers every time up or being protected by Gehrig. You could say Judge benefits from the general HR-friendliness of his home park and being an enormous bulked up human fueled by modern science instead of hot dogs and beer.

Point is I simply drilled down to more than simple games played. That's all. Not trying to incite emotions here. I have no emotional investment in the outcome. I'll simply add that Ruth changed the way baseball was played. Judge won't have that effect.
Yankee stadium isn't a home run friendly park for righties and Judge hits more homers on the road.

Are you implying Judge is a an enormous bulked up human because of today's food? He sure as hell isn't on steroids.

Reaction Score
Buster Olney says this is the greatest hitting season in the history of baseball...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Are you implying Judge is a an enormous bulked up human because of today's food? He sure as hell isn't on steroids.
Wasn't implying steroids. But to me, the guy seems about as fun as Ivan Drago.

I'm also really annoyed and disappointed Bader sold out and cut those locks to play there ;)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Levine's out of character commentary has me even more concerned.

It was framed to sound like a public assurance to Judge that the team would do right by him (to prevent the possibility of another team presenting Judge a huge offer with the caveat that it is off the table if he leaves without signing) but the statement "Judge must realize that being a Yankee benefits him just as he benefits the Yankees" sounds like the negotiations will include "being in the largest media market with the sport's most historic franchise is worth millions beyond what we will pay you. Our offer is worth more than someone else's even if theirs is for more money".

That won't end well for Yankee fans
I am still torn on this to be honest. If Cashman is going to be focused on not going over the cap....and for multiple years you still have Stanton, Cole and Judge....where does that leave the rest of the team? Can you lock up quality starting pitching 2-5 with that budget? And I do have some concerns with long term health considering he is already 30.

But...I think they need to pay him...and they need to not worry about the cap....because they have the money. But if they continue to say they will stay under the cap....it's going to be a problem fielding a team to support the expensive 3.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Buster Olney says this is the greatest hitting season in the history of baseball...

Buster may well be correct.

At worst a valid argument can be made that it is when you combine a) the number of hone runs that he leads the remainder of the field by; b) his batting average when compared to the batting averages of 55+ home run seasons post expansion (1960's forward) and c) the number of called third strikes he's had that were below the strike zone this season (in early August he had 12 called third strikes on balls and the next highest was either two or three).

This isn't even considering the intentional and semi-intentional walks (Ruth had Gehrig in 1927, Maris had Mantle in 1961).

Reaction Score

At worst a valid argument can be made that it is when you combine a) the number of hone runs that he leads the remainder of the field by; b) his batting average when compared to the batting averages of 55+ home run seasons post expansion (1960's forward) and c) the number of called third strikes he's had that were below the strike zone this season (in early August he had 12 called third strikes on balls and the next highest was either two or three).

This isn't even considering the intentional and semi-intentional walks (Ruth had Gehrig in 1927, Maris had Mantle in 1961).
Agreed. He absolutely gets more bogus strikes called against him than anyone I've seen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It's an argument to be had.

But let me throw this out there: single season OPS+ leaders.

One can disagree with the OPS+ algorithm. One can legitimately state that Negro League stats are iffy. One can certainly point to Bonds' use of PEDs. Judge in 47th overall. Take out the Negro Leagues and Bonds/McGwire and he's 17th. Take out Babe Ruth and he's 9th.

But it seems to me that "55+ home run(s)" is fairly arbitrary as it leaves out Mickey Mantle's 1956 season, when he hit a mere 52, was walked 146 times, and hit a HR every 10.25 ABs, while hitting .333. (I'll also mention in 1961, he hit a HR once every 9.75 ABs, far better than Ruth or Judge).

So again, it's an argument to be had. But we also all know that Mick was never fully healthy after ripping his knee apart, so I'll simply say regarding Judge that it's a fine accomplishment, but I'm not going to say definitively that it's the best hitting season ever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, that's game and it's still the 1st. Roansy is going to be very good but still needs to learn to pitch inside to LHB. Congrats on the 2 game sweep.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Lmao chill. I was responding to the dude who is smokin the reefer who asked we cite our sources (when there is really only one source for comprehensive historical baseball data)
'reefer?'

the big clock on the wall sez it's 2-0-2-2, and not 1-9-2-2.
i mean, iffn u said 'bagweed,' or 'sinsemilla,' or even 'schwag,' the reader might know what ur talkin aboot, but 'reefer'? u still have an 'icebox?' lol.

and, on that post waving the white flag on tonites game
(here comes looie!, prolly got tired of hanging in the hot tub, smoking stogies, and having scantily clad ladies bring him frosty bev's), yammerin on aboot some make believe team from Pennsylvania, and not showing proper amazement and respect for the current bomberiest of bombers, well, he/she/they just don't get that we're

i wonder how it will turn out with bennie, brit, and carp?
they're on the team, too.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just to reiterate exactly how bad the Pirates' pen is (and this is including our injured All-Star closer):

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'reefer?'

the big clock on the wall sez it's 2-0-2-2, and not 1-9-2-2.
i mean, iffn u said 'bagweed,' or 'sinsemilla,' or even 'schwag,' the reader might know what ur talkin aboot, but 'reefer'? u still have an 'icebox?' lol.

and, on that post waving the white flag on tonites game
(here comes looie!, prolly got tired of hanging in the hot tub, smoking stogies, and having scantily clad ladies bring him frosty bev's), yammerin on aboot some make believe team from Pennsylvania, and not showing proper amazement and respect for the current bomberiest of bombers, well, he/she/they just don't get that we're

i wonder how it will turn out with bennie, brit, and carp?
they're on the team, too.

dang, that worked out well.
14-2.

hmmmm, '14.'
i'll take 'how many ribbys does gleybar have in the last ten days?' for a thousand, alex.
'Gleyber is completely useless btw,'
lately, every day is gleybar day.

and the hits keep coming... in more ways than one.
and now, for real comedy, we're gonna continue watching season three of 'jeeves and wooster.' it's a good one. bertie comes to the USA, and unleashes his hijinx on an unsuspecting America.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the 'fire hicks and gallo' chant is all that is left for the perennial butthurt crowd. check the comments in the ny post. war? famine? earthquake? -fire hicks and gallo. 6 train not working? needles return to needle park? fire hicks and gallo.
im mad at everrone everrwhere? fire hicks and gallo.
stock market plunge? diesel at $7? fire hicks and gallo.

not me. im keeping both.
Do you still feel this way, or is it now the right move because every move Cashman makes is the right move in your eyes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Do you still feel this way, or is it now the right move because every move Cashman makes is the right move in your eyes.
i like cashman.
i like hicks (a switch hitter) and i like joey (top of the charts on d).
this season, the record showed that the team had like the best record at the break, with those two playing regularly.
in spite of that record, cash decided to sorta blow up that squad with trades and such (any team that had benny on it who let him go is nutz. im highly confident that we'll re-sign him.)
joey wore out his welcome (not with me) and cash bounced him cuz he grabbed benny, and hairy, and mebbe thought cabrera would be what he seems to be, a top d guy who may also be a hitter. hairy is also addicted to glove and hicks' time declines.
i also liked the big lefty (mebbe he could be andy 2.0?), from the first time i saw him in april years back, but it always felt like he had to be a mini-maddux to be specially successful, cuz the power game wasn't in his arsenal, and he never seemed to win. he ain't mini-maddux, so cash bounced him, and grabbed hairy, and frankie, too.
i like cashman. life is aboot making choices. cash outranks them in my book. all he's done this season, despite being 0 fer august, is pilot them to almost the best home record in mlb, one game behind the dodgers, and seemingly set us up to win just one game at hooston to make it to the series. i like our chances, frankie, benny, brit, carp, or not.

young gleybar has returned to perennial all-star form. too bad u exhibit no signs of patience, which is a virtue. get some. the frankie story is far, far from decided, and im perfectly happy to wait, this season, or next.

now, the real question is who is on the postseason roster?
i believe cash will take cabrera, and leave hicks off.
i agree, cuz life is aboot making choices, including hard ones.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
brit is back, but andujar was dfa'd. guy always looked like he could hit, but he didn't. his field abilities were always sketchy. d has been an obvious focus this year, so he's out. benny won't be playing in the regular, but still has plans to be back for the post.
gstant has a body of work here that shows he is definitely a sox killer.
noice. clearly, he is feeling much better, and is now taking it to all fields. left field, then right field homers in the past few hours.
another walk off last nite. ho-hum.
seems like in the past week or so (8-2), the batting mantra has been 'just try to take it up the middle, and the rest will fall in line.'
most of the season was around a ten game lead, now 7 1/2, despite being 0 fer august. also ho-hum.

pretty much ahead wire to wire this year, in, by far, the toughest division in mlb. big fun!

Reaction Score
Definitely sorry to see the the Andujar news, but not surprised. Hopefully, he'll get picked up by a team that can give him regular at-bats. He showed such promise as a rookie, that you figure he can stick somewhere. I also give him credit for learning to play the outfield and, after a brutal start, turning himself into a respectable fielder. But it was obvious that the Yankees had lost faith in him as being capable of being an impact player, so the divorce is best for all parties.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Definitely sorry to see the the Andujar news, but not surprised. Hopefully, he'll get picked up by a team that can give him regular at-bats. He showed such promise as a rookie, that you figure he can stick somewhere. I also give him credit for learning to play the outfield and, after a brutal start, turning himself into a respectable fielder. But it was obvious that the Yankees had lost faith in him as being capable of being an impact player, so the divorce is best for all parties.
hey! welcome back, homey.
things were getting pointlessly melodramatic here for a while.
are you actually zack britton in real life?

Reaction Score
So....the game is not on TV. What a country. When I was a kid you had your pick, 11 or 38.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So....the game is not on TV. What a country. When I was a kid you had your pick, 11 or 38.
We missed another Garret Cole fail.

Reaction Score
Here's my stab at the 26 man playoff roster, as of today:

Pitchers (13, the maximum)

5 SP: Cole, Cortes, Severino, German, Taillon
2 LH Relief: Chapman, Luetge
6 RH Relief: Holmes, Loaisiga, Effross, Schmidt (long man), Marinaccio, Trivino

Out:
Britton: Wait and see. If effective, would place on team over Trevino
Peralta: (injured, would include him over Britton if healthy just cause he’s been reliable)
Montas (injured, might even not play him over the other guys I listed)

Batters (13)

2 C: Trevino, Higashioka
5 INF: Rizzo, LeMehieu, Torres, Donaldson, IKF
5 OF: Judge, Bader, Hicks, Locastro
1 UT: Cabrera
1 DH: Stanton

Out:
Benintendi (hand, will not return until the playoffs)
Gonzalez (I debated Gonzalez’s versatility over Locastro’s pinch running, speed/defense)
Carpenter (injury prognosis doesn’t look good)

Reaction Score
Here's my stab at the 26 man playoff roster, as of today:

Pitchers (13, the maximum)

5 SP: Cole, Cortes, Severino, German, Taillon
2 LH Relief: Chapman, Luetge
6 RH Relief: Holmes, Loaisiga, Effross, Schmidt (long man), Marinaccio, Trivino

Out:
Britton: Wait and see. If effective, would place on team over Trevino
Peralta: (injured, would include him over Britton if healthy just cause he’s been reliable)
Montas (injured, might even not play him over the other guys I listed)

Batters (13)

2 C: Trevino, Higashioka
5 INF: Rizzo, LeMehieu, Torres, Donaldson, IKF
5 OF: Judge, Bader, Hicks, Locastro
1 UT: Cabrera
1 DH: Stanton

Out:
Benintendi (hand, will not return until the playoffs)
Gonzalez (I debated Gonzalez’s versatility over Locastro’s pinch running, speed/defense)
Carpenter (injury prognosis doesn’t look good)
Carpenter says he will be back for the playoffs, that would be wild, maybe he’s back by the ALCS if we get there, as a PH.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Small sample size, but you can start to see Cashman's thinking on the Montgomery trade for Bader. With all the focus, rightly, on Judge's pursuit of 60, Bader has had a meaningful impact on the few games he's played.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Small sample size, but you can start to see Cashman's thinking on the Montgomery trade for Bader. With all the focus, rightly, on Judge's pursuit of 60, Bader has had a meaningful impact on the few games he's played.
Having had him in the same division for several years, he's a great CF, has sneaky power, but is streaky. Last year he sandwiched a 400 OPS August around a 1000 OPS July and a 900 OPS Sept. So I'm sure there will be points in time where you'll demand he get DFAd :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom