The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

Reaction Score
You know who also made it to The Show today? Yep, Ken Waldichuk!

Started for the A's today. Went 4 2/3 innings striking out 6 and throwing 93 pitches. The bullpen blew it, tho. We have Frankie Montas, tho.

And we had Benetendi until now. This lineup was putrid with him they’re only .300 hitter now we get more Hicks huh? Wow huge trouble, another goose egg.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want to know why Donaldson hasn't been benched. He's a bigger waste of money than Carl Pavano was.

Reaction Score
I want to know why Donaldson hasn't been benched. He's a bigger waste of money than Carl Pavano was.
The problem with the team is Cashman. Wouldn't mind them losing the division. The embarrassment would be easy to get over if it ends Cashman.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The problem with the team is Cashman. Wouldn't mind them losing the division. The embarrassment would be easy to get over if it ends Cashman.
I er.agree. Cashman has built this team, including his puppet manager. I believe they will lose the division. They could miss the playoffs. The Rays may very well sweep the Yanks this weekend. And living in Florida, there are a lot of Rays fans hoping for just that. I also get to watch the Rays on the tube. The announcers were being blunt about the Yankees last night. Poor trades, no heart in the team and Judge going free agent.

Cashman's trades at the deadline were horrible except for Benetendi. The rest are complete disasters. No World Series Championships since 2009. That is Cashman's record.

The bigger problem is Hal Steinbrenner. First, he doesn't want to pay any luxury tax. So he is not going to spend what it takes. Two, he seems to be happy with just getting in the playoffs. Three, he may very well bring Cashman back.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Hal is an enormous part of the equation and unfortunately for Yankee fans the equation doesn't work all that well.

He supposedly is very fond of Cashman so it is unlikely that Cashman leaves before he decides to retire (could be 15-20 years from now). Additionally, if Cashman were to decide to retire earlier, Hal would almost definitely hire from within and promote one of the staff who is fully aligned with the current (metric heavy) philosophy.

What bothers me most is that we currently are operating under the premise that we will be financially responsible, except for when we are not. We couldn't add contracts at a number of different times over the past few years yet we also grossly overpaid Cole and recently took on $50 million to get Donaldson for two years. I don't get the decisions when it somehow is acceptable to add ridiculous salaries when instances where adding salaries are dismissed even if it could help us.

Cashman did a masterful job six years ago, shedding older players and going into a full rebuild, getting us back to being highly competitive two years earlier than what could have been reasonably expected. Everything that has happened since has moved us sideways or backwards.

Reaction Score
Hal is an enormous part of the equation and unfortunately for Yankee fans the equation doesn't work all that well.

He supposedly is very fond of Cashman so it is unlikely that Cashman leaves before he decides to retire (could be 15-20 years from now). Additionally, if Cashman were to decide to retire earlier, Hal would almost definitely hire from within and promote one of the staff who is fully aligned with the current (metric heavy) philosophy.

What bothers me most is that we currently are operating under the premise that we will be financially responsible, except for when we are not. We couldn't add contracts at a number of different times over the past few years yet we also grossly overpaid Cole and recently took on $50 million to get Donaldson for two years. I don't get the decisions when it somehow is acceptable to add ridiculous salaries when instances where adding salaries are dismissed even if it could help us.

Cashman did a masterful job six years ago, shedding older players and going into a full rebuild, getting us back to being highly competitive two years earlier than what could have been reasonably expected. Everything that has happened since has moved us sideways or backwards.

Except it was Cashman's own roster construction that caused the team to slide into the rudderless mess it had become circa 2013-2015.

Agree with the rest of what you wrote. Fact of the matter is, that trade for Stanton never should've happened. It happened because Hal let Cashman know the Yankees were not going to be players in the following season's FA period that included both Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Stanton was the booby prize, meant to distract fans from what they should have done, but as was previously stated, Hal does not have the stones to pay the luxury tax.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1662266811858.png

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Glad to see that at least occasionally (or occasional mistakes) Judge sees a pitch that he can do something with. I would like to see him have a fighting chance to finish the season without getting walked twice a game.

Reaction Score
Glad to see that at least occasionally (or occasional mistakes) Judge sees a pitch that he can do something with. I would like to see him have a fighting chance to finish the season without getting walked twice a game.

2 runs last 28 only on 2 Judge bombs. Look at that lineup way too many guys under .220 Cashman should be embarrassed. No protection at all for the leagues MVP.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I hope Cashman watched the bottom of the ninth today and learned something. The Rays had two doubles, a single and an at bat where a great jump by a defensive replacement in CF was the only thing keeping that from being a single (which would have led to a TB win). All were hit to the opposite field. Maybe if our batters tried that from time to time we'd have more than one run to show for two first and third, no out situations during the game.

Reaction Score
This is all the more reason why Judge is the MVP. Ohtani is the best player in baseball perhaps best in all sports, but the Angels still suck with him. Judge is literally carrying the team on his back all year and sadly will have to continue to do it with virtually no help. Best player isnt the same as most valuable btw.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Donaldson finally gets an RBI and the yackuss gets thrown out at second by five feet. How is this possible? The play is entirely in front of him and for the throw to beat him by that much, he would have had plenty of time to stop and return to first.

Answer: once he rounded first he put his head down and didn't know when the left fielder threw the ball. This guy's a winner....

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

All you need to know. Killer lineup.

Why would you ever pitch to .301?
It makes it all the more amazing that he has the biggest lead in HRs this late in the year since Babe Ruth.

Reaction Score
I’ll watch games just to watch Judge because we’ll that’s all we’re watching, the starting pitching I wouldn’t trust the in the postseason but they have done their job this year for the most part.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
At the moment I'm saying "thank God for Minnesota".

I'm beginning to think that we could send the little league world series champs out against them and as long as they're wearing Yankee uniforms we'll win.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Donaldson finally gets an RBI and the yackuss gets thrown out at second by five feet. How is this possible? The play is entirely in front of him and for the throw to beat him by that much, he would have had plenty of time to stop and return to first.

Answer: once he rounded first he put his head down and didn't know when the left fielder threw the ball. This guy's a winner....
Wasn't he slow out of the box?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Wasn't he slow out of the box?
Yes he was, he was admiring his not quite HR. The thing is if he was watching the left fielder (as he should have) rounding first, he never would have attempted second. The first miscue was arrogance/laziness. The second was not paying attention to what happened in front of him.

And I'm sick of him booting a ball at third and then tapping his chest (implying 'my error'). No s#!t it's your error and there are far too many of them. He's making it nearly impossible for Michael Kaye to claim how superior a defensive third baseman he is to justify the acquisition.

Finally, for the first time in my life (when he took exception to a high inside fastball against Tampa) I wanted to see a Yankee charge the mound and get his ass kicked.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

All you need to know. Killer lineup.

Why would you ever pitch to .301?
Teams started pitching around Judge a while ago. There is no one in the line up to protect him. And another issue I have with Boone, and have had since he took over, is why bat your best power hitter and rbi man 1st or 2nd. This makes no sense and goes against all conventional baseball wisdom. I have to believe this comes down from Cashman and his analytics bible.

Judge is up to 54 now. I really hope he makes at least 62.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Teams started pitching around Judge a while ago. There is no one in the line up to protect him. And another issue I have with Boone, and have had since he took over, is why bat your best power hitter and rbi man 1st or 2nd. This makes no sense and goes against all conventional baseball wisdom. I have to believe this comes down from Cashman and his analytics bible.

Judge is up to 54 now. I really hope he makes at least 62.
This is the one analytical stat to roster construction I’m 100% on board with actually. It’s basic math, the higher up in the order, the more at bats you get per game / over the course of the season. You want your best hitter getting as many bats as possible.

I don’t think Judge needs to bat first (Benintendi or DJ should lead off) but I have no problem with him hitting second.

And we need to bat Stanton behind him (although he’s now injured) and not Donaldson or Gleyber like they have most of the year…

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If we have a healthy team come October (big if), the lineup should be (but probably won’t be)

Benintendi
Judge
Stanton
Rizzo
DJ
Cabrera
Gleyber
Trivino
Locastro (because I guess it’s better than Hicks or Gonzales, although I’d really prefer Florial but doubt he makes the roster).

Reaction Score
If we have a healthy team come October (big if), the lineup should be (but probably won’t be)

Benintendi
Judge
Stanton
Rizzo
DJ
Cabrera
Gleyber
Trivino
Locastro (because I guess it’s better than Hicks or Gonzales, although I’d really prefer Florial but doubt he makes the roster).
Assuming Bader is healthy, he'd probably be starting over Locastro or Hicks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom