The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 25 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think you're way low on the guess. That seems reasonable for what he would have gotten on the open market before this historic season. He'll clear $350M easy and I think there's a better than good chance it's above $400M
Could be in part wishful thinking.

If the average annual value exceeds $40 million, I don't think many teams would want to go more than five years. I also believe Judge firmly wants eight years.

The Yanks should have boosted last spring's offer to abou $35 million a year. They really should have had this done before free agency.

Reaction Score
Cole is a mental midget, might as well bend over and assume the position to Devers early in the game I would have more respect for you if you threw your best pitches and Devers hits it out of the park then pitching scared and walking him and of course gives up the 2 run jack after that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
6/5/22
'this is kind of the 'most perpetually dumb posters' thread around'

looks like i was wrong on that. i went thru the 'stocks' thread to find sumthin, and it turns out that thread is. in fact, it is so awesomely terribly bad, that it became addictive to continue reading, and i couldn't stop laughing, and feeling kinda sad for the majority of them. not too sad tho, since time and time again they were given the heads up, but all i got was removed from that thread,
and the cash for those opinions. the cash is always the important part.

30 over, floating blissfully and unpressured along the stream to seasons end, and waiting on even more studs to come back from vacay.

fond memories from championship days of yore. that one was a droughtbuster, too.

'don't know what ur doin, but u must be livin right! yes, yes i am.
didn't get the two rounds under 80 thing (77 then 81, oh well...), but i had a blast trying around 8 rounds in the summery sun.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The most amazing thing about Judge's season is that he now is the first player to have a 20 home run lead on the next highest total since Babe Ruth in 1928.

While Babe's accomplishments are in a category of its own, when he first became a Yankee, basically the entire league was built for dead ball baseball (slap hits, stolen bases, sacrifices) so the fact that someone was able to surpass fifty home runs could hit more than entire teams was conceivable (albeit incredible). In 1928, the last season that Ruth (or anyone for that matter) beat the runner up by more than 20 (31 in 1928), Gehrig, Foxx and Wilson were the only other players who realistically could reach 30 home runs (Foxx had yet to do it prior to that season and Wilson didn't until the following year).

Once Ruth was no longer in a class by himself, the idea of someone beating the field by 20 home runs was a thing of the past,.... until now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
upon complete data analysis paralysis for this thread, it is clear that almost 100% of youse are, in fact, insane, and spend ur days swimming in bile and cortisol. not healthy. and, ur not normal 'fans' of sport, where u enjoy the highpoints of a team, and hope the lowpoints don't last for long. u know, reasonably hopeful based on the info at hand.
i should go thru chapter and verse of the silly things posted here, by name, but i won't cuz it's too nice of day outside, and im always a grateful sort.
broadly, youse had no clue that a major shakeup happened at the break of a season where the team was on a record winning pace, and time was needed to see how the new squad would play out.
they didn't need to be great in april, may, june, july, august, or september. a championship team needs only to be great in october.
now that it looks like we won't be the home team for the expected hooston series, if montas wins at hooston and we go on to beat them, then his acquistion will look brilliant.
team is jacked, stacked, and starting to whack.

8-2 in last ten, bullpen close to 1.00 era.
the team is starting to look very comfortable again, like 'we got this.'

feels to me that kicking the mutts butts back to queens was the turning point as it posed a 'put up or shut up' situation for the squad. they passed with flying colors, and put it up the mutts keysters instead. i've noticed a few of youse popping over to the mutts thread to say nice things aboot them and disparage us, when things looked challenging here.
mutts now in death race to the finish line.
bombers heading for the beach, mebbe to catch some sun, mebbe to catch some fish, mebbe to catch some winks.
awesomesauce, just like two week vacations. imma fan.

pro tip: youse should stay far, far away from anything investing, and just put ur cash in the bank.
sumbody, not named me, has to pay retail, especially for crapto coin.
i took a pantload of incoming over at the stocks thread for being the sole laughing naysayer on anything crapto, amongst other lesser issues, like inflation, yada, yada, yada. one clown who talked a lot on that nonsense even offered to give me 'golden tulips' with his expected fortune from make believe, when i drew the obvious parallel to the dutch tulip mania. i don't see he/them over at that bored anymore.

to be fair, i must call out both billy and adrien for their consistent fandom and reasonable attitudes. they are seemingly the only other ones here enjoying this most fun season. u know, 'can we do it this year?'

gerit leads mlb in ko's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team is still trash btw, the pattern for this team is win 5 in a row then lose 5 in a row, good teams consistently win 2 of 3. Peraza is up here and not playing now, and Montas is trash, Holmes magic is gone. Team is put together with scotch tape trying strike fire at the right time

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This team is still trash btw, the pattern for this team is win 5 in a row then lose 5 in a row, good teams consistently win 2 of 3. Peraza is up here and not playing now, and Montas is trash, Holmes magic is gone. Team is put together with scotch tape trying strike fire at the right time
Jeez.

Reaction Score
2 more absolute bombs for Judge today. This has to be the greatest season by a position player in MLB history outside of Bonds steroid record breaking year and Babe Ruth.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
2 more absolute bombs for Judge today. This has to be the greatest season by a position player in MLB history outside of Bonds steroid record breaking year and Babe Ruth.
Don't look now but Judge is basically one point behind Arreaz for the AL batting lead.

Arreaz. .317
Bogaerts. 316
Judge. .316

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
consider this on win totals:
the al central has three teams in the 70s, two teams in the 50s.
the al west has one 90s, one 80s, two 60s, one 50s.
the nl east has two teams in the 90s, one 80s, one 60s, one 50s.
the nl central has one 80s, one 70s, one 60s, two 50s.
the nl west has one 100s, one 80s, three 60s.

the al east has three 80s, two 70s.
nary a 60s or 50s to be found.

im pretty sure that division games is a thing. if'd we play a whole bunch more games against those 60s and 50s squads, we'd prolly be only a few games shy of a 100 by now.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
consider this on win totals:
the al central has three teams in the 70s, two teams in the 50s.
the al west has one 90s, one 80s, two 60s, one 50s.
the nl east has two teams in the 90s, one 80s, one 60s, one 50s.
the nl central has one 80s, one 70s, one 60s, two 50s.
the nl west has one 100s, one 80s, three 60s.

the al east has three 80s, two 70s.
nary a 60s or 50s to be found.

im pretty sure that division games is a thing. if'd we play a whole bunch more games against those 60s and 50s squads, we'd prolly be only a few games shy of a 100 by now.
We are under .500 against the AL West + NL Central, 2 divisions with tons of bottom feeders. Meanwhile we are 40-26 (.600) vs the AL East.

While playing more games vs the tigers and twins couldn’t hurt, it really doesn’t matter who this team plays.

Consistency has hurt them all year. If we played 4 against the Dodgers we could win 3 of 4. But if we play 4 against the Angels, we could also just as easily lose 3 of 4.

Crossing my fingers we get hot 1-2 weeks in October to be able to reach or just maybe win a WS.

But this team is going to have to figure out ways to win games when some guys are struggling, without it causing the entire lineup to falter. Seems that when 1 guy struggles, the other 7 also struggle (Judge keeps doing his thing, though). When 1 guy is hot, the other 7 also get hot. It’s bizarre.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We are under .500 against the AL West + NL Central, 2 divisions with tons of bottom feeders. Meanwhile we are 40-26 (.600) vs the AL East.
No doubt the Pirates are bottom feeders, but I wouldn't count on winning both games this week. Not sure which game Contreras pitches as MLB.com has him going Wed (which would imply a crap spot starter on Tues) and ESPN has him going tomorrow (which would imply a newly decent Keller on Wednesday).

So here's your scouting report:

Contreras is a legit TOR guy. Over last 5 games he's got a 1.67 ERA. But he's on innings watch as he's a rook who's already tossed more innings than desired this year. Last game he was cruising but was pulled after 4 innings. Pirates' bullpen sucks goat balls. Right now, best guy there is your old friend Manny Banuelos. Our closer, Bednar, is out. Nobody else really up to that task. On offense, the best hitter, Reynolds, is around .260, which is pathetic. But there are now some power bats in Cruz, Suwinski and Castro, all rookies with 15 HRs or more. Cruz is an athletic freak who's just now starting to put things together, .961 OPS in Sept, double and HR vs deGrom yesterday. He's worth a ticket to see in person. If you're throwing a lefty starter, you neutralize Suwinski and to some degree Cruz. Reynolds and Castro are both switch hitters. Rest of lineup is pretty awful.

If you get a spot starter in either game, you can chalk that up as a win. If you get Keller, he's finally starting to justify the 2nd round pick since he's found a sinker that works. He's got a 2.20 ERA over last 5 games. Usually fairly inefficient, but he's able to go 7 on a good night when he's getting ground balls and not trying to K everyone. Much better pitcher than last time y'all saw him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No doubt the Pirates are bottom feeders, but I wouldn't count on winning both games this week. Not sure which game Contreras pitches as MLB.com has him going Wed (which would imply a crap spot starter on Tues) and ESPN has him going tomorrow (which would imply a newly decent Keller on Wednesday).

So here's your scouting report:

Contreras is a legit TOR guy. Over last 5 games he's got a 1.67 ERA. But he's on innings watch as he's a rook who's already tossed more innings than desired this year. Last game he was cruising but was pulled after 4 innings. Pirates' bullpen sucks goat balls. Right now, best guy there is your old friend Manny Banuelos. Our closer, Bednar, is out. Nobody else really up to that task. On offense, the best hitter, Reynolds, is around .260, which is pathetic. But there are now some power bats in Cruz, Suwinski and Castro, all rookies with 15 HRs or more. Cruz is an athletic freak who's just now starting to put things together, .961 OPS in Sept, double and HR vs deGrom yesterday. He's worth a ticket to see in person. If you're throwing a lefty starter, you neutralize Suwinski and to some degree Cruz. Reynolds and Castro are both switch hitters. Rest of lineup is pretty awful.

If you get a spot starter in either game, you can chalk that up as a win. If you get Keller, he's finally starting to justify the 2nd round pick since he's found a sinker that works. He's got a 2.20 ERA over last 5 games. Usually fairly inefficient, but he's able to go 7 on a good night when he's getting ground balls and not trying to K everyone. Much better pitcher than last time y'all saw him.
I've watched a lot of Cruz these past two weeks. He is an amazing human specimen who looks like he could become an elite player, but I thought his body language was consistently pretty terrible. Does he always have a scowl on his face and play like he'd rather be somewhere else?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I doubt that there is a bigger Yankee fan on this board than me. I will not however live in some (possibly drug induced) polyana dream world and believe that just because we happen to be in first place (due entirely to playing .750 baseball through the first 84 games) at the moment, a legitimate run to another world title is in play. We were far closer to a championship team in 2017. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to himself.

As the Twins aren't making the playoffs this season I don't see any possible opponent who isn't capable of beating us just by avoiding stupidity. We have holes in our pitching staff, our lineup and our defense. Look at how we lost game one against Milwaukee this past weekend and how, even though our offense woke up in game three, we were in a hole early with our "ace" on the mound and were on the precipice of blowing that game with our closer on the mound. Oh, and in game two, how well did we bat with runners in scoring position?

I want this team to win it all this year (every year for that matter) but the product we see on the field, save one player in the midst of a season for the ages, is infuriating.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

While playing more games vs the tigers and twins couldn’t hurt, it really doesn’t matter who this team plays.

Consistency has hurt them all year. If we played 4 against the Dodgers we could win 3 of 4. But if we play 4 against the Angels, we could also just as easily lose 3 of 4.

Crossing my fingers we get hot 1-2 weeks in October to be able to reach or just maybe win a WS.

But this team is going to have to figure out ways to win games when some guys are struggling, without it causing the entire lineup to falter. Seems that when 1 guy struggles, the other 7 also struggle (Judge keeps doing his thing, though). When 1 guy is hot, the other 7 also get hot. It’s bizarre.
so ur saying we have a chance?
i agree.

it's why i am a fan of the New York Yankees. they seem to give me a chance, almost every season, to think mebbe we'll win it all, and along the way, look for the fun in that possibility.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As Judge makes his quest for the legitimate MLB HR King, I wonder if he is going to try to break Ruth's record of 60 in 154 (he has 8 games to hit 2 HR).

And on the topic of Judge, I can't believe there is even a discussion among the media that he wouldn't be the MVP. I know they need things to talk about, and controversy sells / gets attention, but there is absolutely 0 logic behind not choosing him.

From a numbers perceptive, Judge is nearly a full point above Ohtani in WAR, and that includes Ohtani as a pitcher and a hitter (so Judge is more valuable than 2 players in one).

Then you have the "well, no one has done what Ohtani is doing since Babe Ruth" idiots, who I want to shake by the shoulders and say "HELLO. Judge is literally about to do something even Babe himself couldn't do!"

And last of all, and most importantly, Judge has pulled his entire team not just into the playoffs, but most likely a division title. And he only gets to hit. Ohtani gets to pitch 1 of 5 days, and his team is still 31 games out of their division lmao. Wow, how valuable that is...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of Cruz these past two weeks. He is an amazing human specimen who looks like he could become an elite player, but I thought his body language was consistently pretty terrible. Does he always have a scowl on his face and play like he'd rather be somewhere else?
Hell no. Dude smiles all the time, except in the batter's box.

When he was still in minors he was getting a rep for being not totally invested as he was passed over for promotion by some other guys. And earlier this year he was dejected at times as he looked horrible with bad chases and tons of Ks. But this month, all smiles.

Small sample size obviously, but he's basically on the same trajectory as Darryl Strawberry. Amazingly similar timelines through 300 PAs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hell no. Dude smiles all the time, except in the batter's box.

When he was still in minors he was getting a rep for being not totally invested as he was passed over for promotion by some other guys. And earlier this year he was dejected at times as he looked horrible with bad chases and tons of Ks. But this month, all smiles.

Small sample size obviously, but he's basically on the same trajectory as Darryl Strawberry. Amazingly similar timelines through 300 PAs.
Good to hear. I will be interested to watch him. I don't think I've ever seen a shortstop that tall.

Reaction Score
As Judge makes his quest for the legitimate MLB HR King, I wonder if he is going to try to break Ruth's record of 60 in 154 (he has 8 games to hit 2 HR).

And on the topic of Judge, I can't believe there is even a discussion among the media that he wouldn't be the MVP. I know they need things to talk about, and controversy sells / gets attention, but there is absolutely 0 logic behind not choosing him.

From a numbers perceptive, Judge is nearly a full point above Ohtani in WAR, and that includes Ohtani as a pitcher and a hitter (so Judge is more valuable than 2 players in one).

Then you have the "well, no one has done what Ohtani is doing since Babe Ruth" idiots, who I want to shake by the shoulders and say "HELLO. Judge is literally about to do something even Babe himself couldn't do!"

And last of all, and most importantly, Judge has pulled his entire team not just into the playoffs, but most likely a division title. And he only gets to hit. Ohtani gets to pitch 1 of 5 days, and his team is still 31 games out of their division lmao. Wow, how valuable that is...
But but but Ohtani pitches, and if he were on the Yankees he would have over 100 hrs by now and an era under 1 and be batting over .400 and Yankees would be ahead of the Astros.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom