The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Reaction Score
Pillar met Webb before the game today, told him he knows he didn’t mean it and he has good stuff and to trust himself. It’s awful it had to happen like this but when you get a good guy like Pillar it’s a good piece to build your team on.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The San Francisco Giants today purchased the contract of...wait for it...yep, Scott Kazmir!! THE(!!) Scott Kazmir!!!

Through 3 IP v the dodgers: 1 hit against and 2 Ks. The hit was a Max Muncy jack.

Steven Krajewski hasn't been in the bigs since 2016.

Reaction Score
The San Francisco Giants today purchased the contract of...wait for it...yep, Scott Kazmir!! THE(!!) Scott Kazmir!!!

Through 3 IP v the dodgers: 1 hit against and 2 Ks. The hit was a Max Muncy jack.

Steven Krajewski hasn't been in the bigs since 2016.
108-97. 4.00 era. I will die in the hill that trade wasn’t nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

Reaction Score
108-97. 4.00 era. I will die in the hill that trade wasn’t nearly as bad as it was made out to be.
I somewhat disagree. He had the potential to be a huge help in 06 when everyone else got hurt. Also, while there is no real way to know it, it certainly felt like they could’ve gotten a much better return than Victor Zambrano. Even if Kazmir got hurt immediately after the trade and never pitched again, it doesn’t change the fact the probably got well below full value for him.

Reaction Score
I somewhat disagree. He had the potential to be a huge help in 06 when everyone else got hurt. Also, while there is no real way to know it, it certainly felt like they could’ve gotten a much better return than Victor Zambrano. Even if Kazmir got hurt immediately after the trade and never pitched again, it doesn’t change the fact the probably got well below full value for him.
They would have had to sign Kazmir to a contract and the Mets staff didn’t like his frame and mechanics long term. The trade never burned them and no one ever gave much more for Kazmir at any point in his career. All he ever ended up being was the allure of “the next great lefty” and that never materialized.

Reaction Score
They would have had to sign Kazmir to a contract and the Mets staff didn’t like his frame and mechanics long term. The trade never burned them and no one ever gave much more for Kazmir at any point in his career. All he ever ended up being was the allure of “the next great lefty” and that never materialized.
What do you mean sign him to a contract? His first four full seasons he put up era+s of 116, 141, 130, and 127 and the last year was the only one where he noticeably outperformed his FIP.

They got back a guy who in 201 innings for them put up a 94 era+. They clearly made a bad trade, but yes it wasn’t that bad because he couldn’t hold up physically.

Edit: man I totally mixed up the year the trade happened and thought it was 2005. They traded him for a blah return in a year they went 71-91.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What do you mean sign him to a contract? His first four full seasons he put up era+s of 116, 141, 130, and 127 and the last year was the only one where he noticeably outperformed his FIP.

They got back a guy who in 201 innings for them put up a 94 era+. They clearly made a bad trade, but yes it wasn’t that bad because he couldn’t hold up physically.

Edit: man I totally mixed up the year the trade happened and thought it was 2005. They traded him for a blah return in a year they went 71-91.
If they felt like he was the next great lefty as everyone was anointing him to be, they would have needed to commit to a big long contract to tie him up and they didn’t want to do that.

Reaction Score
If they felt like he was the next great lefty as everyone was anointing him to be, they would have needed to commit to a big long contract to tie him up and they didn’t want to do that.
Also, had they committed an ace level contract to him prior to 2008, they likely couldn’t have given Johan Santana the money they gave him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's worth every penny of that contract. Love it

I know it's wayyyy early, but for me, watching Lindor sashay up to the plate with a .171 average and without appearing to have a care in the world is a little more annoying. I know pressing doesn't help anyone, but I'd like to see him appear a little more invested after the investment Uncle $teve made in him.

I'm starting to get the same feeling about Lindor - but what makes it quickly fade away is his enthusiasm on the field and in the dugout, and how pumped he was with James McCann after the CS to end the game on Sunday!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little of the same. Really trying to be in love with him knowing how long he'll be here.
It's an incredibly small sample size, if he were to go 3/4 tonight he'd raise his batting average 51 points. Can't deny the expectations and he'll have to meet them, if he's still hitting like this in June then I think it'll be warranted
So it’s almost June. How are we feeling about Lindor? Personally, I am not feeling good. Not. At. All.

Reaction Score
So it’s almost June. How are we feeling about Lindor? Personally, I am not feeling good. Not. At. All.
Same as I felt then, he'll be fine and not even remotely worried

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Same as I felt then, he'll be fine and not even remotely worried
I don’t like the body language at the plate. He looks totally lost. I never watched him before he came here but I have no faith that he will ever be a premier hitter here, if he ever was.

The only saving grace is that Uncle $teve can absorb the loss and still hunt for a legitimate upgrade. This guy has not been an upgrade in any respect so far.

Reaction Score
I don’t like the body language at the plate. He looks totally lost. I never watched him before he came here but I have no faith that he will ever be a premier hitter here, if he ever was.

The only saving grace is that Uncle $teve can absorb the loss and still hunt for a legitimate upgrade. This guy has not been an upgrade in any respect so far.
That's funny because I have the exact opposite take, his body language at the plate is why I'm so encouraged. He's not chasing pitches and is drawing a ton of walks this year, which is why his OBP is still decent despite not hitting at all.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you actually didn't watch him before, but there's no way I can be convinced he went from a top 10 player in all of baseball to a guy you're moving on from based on 2 months of struggles.

Reaction Score

1. I never watched him on a game by game basis. Doing that this year, I don't know how he could be a hitter to carry a team for a month like Cespedes did when he came over.

2. I do see enough things about other non-hitting aspects that he is helping us with like base running, defense, leadership and overall smarts. He's the best field general we've had since Hernandez. He hasn't let his batting average impact his demand to control the defense.

3. All these big contracts end up as a negative return. I do feel like he can be a large part of a ring with this core.

Reaction Score
Bad news about Thor, that's a bummer especially with Carrasco in limbo - however as good as the SPs have been, that's the least of our worries.

Am I worried about Lindor, yes... Not Defcon One or Code Blue or anything, and there are flashes there - and THANK GOD his defense has been stellar and his support of his teammates has been evident (minus the McNeil dustup)

I sound like a Frankie apologist but I am just trying not to overreact.
Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's funny because I have the exact opposite take, his body language at the plate is why I'm so encouraged. He's not chasing pitches and is drawing a ton of walks this year, which is why his OBP is still decent despite not hitting at all.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you actually didn't watch him before, but there's no way I can be convinced he went from a top 10 player in all of baseball to a guy you're moving on from based on 2 months of struggles.
I definitely never watched him before this season. The older I get, the more tunnel vision I get with my pro sports fandom, focusing only the team I follow and doing little else except watching the standings in the other divisions and leagues. Except for the playoffs, when I will start watching most of them.

Lindor has improved his selectivity but his swing looks terrible to me. When I posted last night it was after his last strikeout and he just looked lost. When Arod did the ESPN game a few weeks ago he was breaking down everything wrong with his swing and to my eyes nothing has improved since.
All these big contracts end up as a negative return
End up? Yes, usually. But this is the beginning and so far he looks more like Rey Ordonez 2.0, which is not what "we" paid for.

Reaction Score
I definitely never watched him before this season. The older I get, the more tunnel vision I get with my pro sports fandom, focusing only the team I follow and doing little else except watching the standings in the other divisions and leagues. Except for the playoffs, when I will start watching most of them.

Lindor has improved his selectivity but his swing looks terrible to me. When I posted last night it was after his last strikeout and he just looked lost. When Arod did the ESPN game a few weeks ago he was breaking down everything wrong with his swing and to my eyes nothing has improved since.

End up? Yes, usually. But this is the beginning and so far he looks more like Rey Ordonez 2.0, which is not what "we" paid for.
I also didn't like them showing how he tailed off last year in the shortened season then continued into this year and has gotten worse. Could the Mets brass really have missed THAT badly on him? Jesus.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I also didn't like them showing how he tailed off last year in the shortened season then continued into this year and has gotten worse. Could the Mets brass really have missed THAT badly on him? Jesus.
Gotta say, although I generally don't agree with his takes on sports generally, @WeAreUCONN was all over it at the time. I don't want him to be right here, but he is definitely on record pointing that out when we made the trade and then signed him to that contract.

Reaction Score

Comparing him to Rey Ordonez is beyond insulting and is so far off base. You're entitled to your opinion but I suspect this one ages as poorly as your posts about Edwin Diaz in 2019 after his early struggles

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Comparing him to Rey Ordonez is beyond insulting and is so far off base. You're entitled to your opinion but I suspect this one ages as poorly as your posts about Edwin Diaz in 2019 after his early struggles
The Ordonez comparison was based on another former Met Golden Glove shortstop with a weak, unclutch bat. So far that is what we have seen since Lindor has been here. That is all I have to go on with my own eyes. And if he doesn’t turn his offense around, the comparison will be very apt.

Diaz was terrible for the entire season in 2019. If that’s what you consider “early struggles” you are a more patient fan than I am. The complaints were warranted imo, especially in the wake of the implosions of Familia and Benitez in the prior seasons. I couldn’t be happier that he turned it back around, but I will still probably trust Lugo more once he returns.

Reaction Score
The Ordonez comparison was based on another former Met Golden Glove shortstop with a weak, unclutch bat. So far that is what we have seen since Lindor has been here. That is all I have to go on with my own eyes. And if he doesn’t turn his offense around, the comparison will be very apt.

Diaz was terrible for the entire season in 2019. If that’s what you consider “early struggles” you are a more patient fan than I am. The complaints were warranted imo, especially in the wake of the implosions of Familia and Benitez in the prior seasons. I couldn’t be happier that he turned it back around, but I will still probably trust Lugo more once he returns.
In relation to his Mets career that's definitely an early struggle, which is why I'm not willing to write off Lindor as a bust after 2 months, and he's starting with a significantly better track record than Lindor was. But I'll admit I'm much more patient with players and always looking at the big picture. Beltran started off slow his first year with the Mets and ended up as one of the 4 or 5 best position players in their history, it wouldn't shock me at all if Lindor is the same way

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In relation to his Mets career that's definitely an early struggle, which is why I'm not willing to write off Lindor as a bust after 2 months, and he's starting with a significantly better track record than Lindor was. But I'll admit I'm much more patient with players and always looking at the big picture. Beltran started off slow his first year with the Mets and ended up as one of the 4 or 5 best position players in their history, it wouldn't shock me at all if Lindor is the same way
And if I remember correctly, you are also more forgiving of Beltran keeping the bat on his shoulder for that called third strike...which I have been unable to supplant as my indelible image of him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom