The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Every time I'm ready to give up they give me a glimmer of hope like today
I went for a run after work and forgot that there had been an afternoon game until after I got out of the shower and got settled. I checked for the score on my ESPN app and saw that it was tied 2-2 in the top of the 12th so I turned it on the TV, which just happened to the exact moment that Pillar’s HR left the park.

I’m still mystified by Cohen’s tweet and bummed by the increasing likelihood that Jake is going to be shut down for the season, but I’m still watching. 10:30 start times the next two nights may be an obstacle though.

Reaction Score
I went for a run after work and forgot that there had been an afternoon game until after I got out of the shower and got settled. I checked for the score on my ESPN app and saw that it was tied 2-2 in the top of the 12th so I turned it on the TV, which just happened to the exact moment that Pillar’s HR left the park.

I’m still mystified by Cohen’s tweet and bummed by the increasing likelihood that Jake is going to be shut down for the season, but I’m still watching. 10:30 start times the next two nights may be an obstacle though.
I wasn't feeling it and was doing other stuff so didn't watch the first half of the game but turned it on after they tied it in the 9th. I hope they shut down deGrom and get him back to 100% for next year. It was same dumb mistakes for the first few extra innings but glad to pull it out still in the end.

I actually love the 10 PM starts but I'm young and up that late most nights anyway. I'm hoping they can end this 13 game stretch 4 games back and my hope will be alive, gonna be tough though

Reaction Score
Just a remarkable downward spiral... I was over the moon for this team a month ago, now... I find myself turning the game off in the 3rd inning every night :(

Reaction Score
I mean up 4 games to 7 back in like two weeks. Amazing collapse and disappointment, even by Mets standards.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean up 4 games to 7 back in like two weeks. Amazing collapse and disappointment, even by Mets standards.
I mean yeah, who could have seen that coming?

It’s irrelevant. We’re sinking like a stone and there isn’t anything close to a stopper in our rotation.

Oh, and Jake now has a sixth, separate and unrelated injury causing elbow inflammation, just from practicing?

I don’t think we’re going to see him again this season.

Philly will be in first by the weekend. We will be in third within two weeks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You're right in that losing 11 games in standings over 22 days is certainly a faster trajectory than losing 7 over 17.

However, unlike 2007, this year's team has often only had the 3rd best Pythagorean (runs scored vs allowed) record in the NLE, so they've been a bit lucky to have stayed on top as long as they did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I know you were in favor of shutting him down for the rest of this season, but so long as everything is 100% now I think it's smart to have him return this season and see what happens once he returns to normal throwing activities. It will give a better sense of whether there are any lingering issues; and I'm sure they'll sell a helluva lot more tickets for the games he is scheduled to pitch.

Reaction Score
I know you were in favor of shutting him down for the rest of this season, but so long as everything is 100% now I think it's smart to have him return this season and see what happens once he returns to normal throwing activities. It will give a better sense of whether there are any lingering issues; and I'm sure they'll sell a helluva lot more tickets for the games he is scheduled to pitch.
To me it depends on where the team is when he's ready to come back in mid September. If they can take care of business over the next 14 games after the SF series against weak competition I'm all for brining him back. 11-3 would get them right back in the race and likely only a few games behind Atlanta

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Last night was yet another adventure in finding new ways to lose.

Crowd is now booing Rojas and chanting for him to be fired. With as bad as our starting pitching has been I don't know how you pull Walker at that point when he's actually doing well.

Five double plays!!!

Baez giveth and taketh away...

But I think my favorite part of the night was when Alonso was up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth and Gary Cohen muttered "We got this" as a cutting reference to Alonso's unwarranted optimism a couple weeks ago (since which we have continued to plummet). Dead silence in the booth, and then he predictably and feebly popped out to end the game.

Sad.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Last night was yet another adventure in finding new ways to lose.

Crowd is now booing Rojas and chanting for him to be fired. With as bad as our starting pitching has been I don't know how you pull Walker at that point when he's actually doing well.

Five double plays!!!

Baez giveth and taketh away...

But I think my favorite part of the night was when Alonso was up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth and Gary Cohen muttered "We got this" as a cutting reference to Alonso's unwarranted optimism a couple weeks ago (since which we have continued to plummet). Dead silence in the booth, and then he predictably and feebly popped out to end the game.

Sad.

It actually blew my mind to see that, as of a few days ago when I did a google search, we had only the 5th or 6th worst average with runners in scoring position in baseball. I would've guessed we were far and away the worst team in baseball.

I don't think Rojas made that bad a call taking Walker out, Loup has been terrific this year and there was a dangerous lefty coming up. If Walker had given up the double you know the same fans would've killed Rojas for leaving him in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think Rojas made that bad a call taking Walker out, Loup has been terrific this year and there was a dangerous lefty coming up. If Walker had given up the double you know the same fans would've killed Rojas for leaving him in.
It wasn't a terrible call all things considered. It was most notable for the fact that the fans booed him and chanted for him to be fired.

Lack of offense continues to be our biggest flaw, but that means little margin for error in our pitching, which has obviously slipped quite a bit in the last two months.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
after another spring season of nyc media nonsense (conforto might get a $200m contract! mr lifetime 77-53, 34 years old, is the greatest pitcher in the history of history!, and such...), things started to get sketchy in july. then, this happened

and i posted a thread, full of disgust for him, and the arrogance. wait, whut? ya mean everrbody in the nation doesn't get grubhub deliveries of zabar's whitefish every week? who knew?
on that date, the mets were 49-42, while cinncy was 48-46. since then, the mets have gone 12-23, not wholly unexpected since the honest baseball fan, even in the spring, knew that they still can't win on the road, lindor didn't scare anyone at the plate, and let's see if 34 years old mr cy-o-nara could even answer the bell on a regular basis. he didn't.
cinncy is now 10 games over.
back then, it was pointed out that you be trippin,

and have now fallen. hard.

pretend that you don't remember what the premise of the last seinfeld episode was. i heard that it was a popular episode, mebbe cuz the rest of the country agreed with it.
now pretend that mr wheeler, 31 years old,10-9, 2.90, and currently leading the league in cg, sho, innings and k's, wasn't one of the worst decisions mets mismanagement has made recently by not signing him.
35 years since last mets ws victory.
almost 50 years since last knick victory.
50+ years since last jets victory.
mebbe they all watch their local media a bit too much. and i ain't goin to zabars no more. don't want to get shot, or have my ride stolen.

Reaction Score
It actually blew my mind to see that, as of a few days ago when I did a google search, we had only the 5th or 6th worst average with runners in scoring position in baseball. I would've guessed we were far and away the worst team in baseball.

The only reason I'd say it was a terrible call is because Walker was dominating and was at 78 pitches. It reads as Rojas just following a script where there's 2 men on and no outs, so you have to pull the SP. Meanwhile it ignores the fact that the 2 runners were on because Villar misplayed a weak groundball and McNeil misplayed a pop-up so it should have been 2 outs with nobody on base

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The only reason I'd say it was a terrible call is because Walker was dominating and was at 78 pitches. It reads as Rojas just following a script where there's 2 men on and no outs, so you have to pull the SP. Meanwhile it ignores the fact that the 2 runners were on because Villar misplayed a weak groundball and McNeil misplayed a pop-up so it should have been 2 outs with nobody on base

I could go either way on that call. Walker was pitching great, but he was facing Crawford for the 3rd time; Crawford has a .997 OPS when facing a starter the 3rd time through the lineup. Loup has been unbelievable all year, and it gets you the lefty-on-lefty. Do I think it was a no-brainer call? No, but certainly not terrible.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that wishes they kept Baez and got rid of Lindor in the offseason? Apologies if I have already made the same post.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that wishes they kept Baez and got rid of Lindor in the offseason? Apologies if I have already made the same post.
First part absolutely, I don't get the Lindor hate. But I hope they bring Baez back this offseason too

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good on Mets for finally retiring Kooz's #36. IMHO, had he played on some better Mets teams in 70s, he might have been in the conversation for HoF. There are worse pitchers in Cooperstown

Reaction Score
First part absolutely, I don't get the Lindor hate. But I hope they bring Baez back this offseason too
I just feel like we got sold a false bill of goods with his ability to lead a team for weeks at a clip. He has consistent missed badly at the plate all season and especially in big spots.

Reaction Score
I just feel like we got sold a false bill of goods with his ability to lead a team for weeks at a clip. He has consistent missed badly at the plate all season and especially in big spots.
I'm not sure who sold him that way, but that's not the type of hitter he is. His elite defense and ability to get on base and score runs are the calling card for him, he's never been the guy to carry the offense in Cleveland and don't expect that to happen in New York either

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm fine with both, but I preferred Bryant and it hurt seeing him be the deciding factor for two of our three losses to the Giants.

Reaction Score

i saw that live last night. Gary was funny. Kept saying “it’s ok sport One of these days the world will turn” or something to that effect

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom