The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Reaction Score
And if I remember correctly, you are also more forgiving of Beltran keeping the bat on his shoulder for that called third strike...which I have been unable to supplant as my indelible image of him.
You are correct there, never let that cloud my judgement on him. Which might be because I was 13 when it happened, though I guess that could go either way with holding a grudge. My personal image when I think of Beltran is his catch on the hill in CF against the Astros in the 17 inning game, no idea why but that's the first thing I think of

Reaction Score
And if I remember correctly, you are also more forgiving of Beltran keeping the bat on his shoulder for that called third strike...which I have been unable to supplant as my indelible image of him.
Same. I was glad when he didn't end up managing the team. Looker.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I argued for years that they should have traded him before TJ surgery because I figured he’d be down for two seasons. I never expected much if anything from him this season.

Reaction Score
I argued for years that they should have traded him before TJ surgery because I figured he’d be down for two seasons. I never expected much if anything from him this season.
I always rooted for them to lock up deGrom long term over him for that reason. Seems they got that part right, at least.

Reaction Score
Great pair of wins today, if we can hold on to this second game of the doubleheader.

It really is remarkable how we've been able to scratch wins out considering our whole team is on the IL.

Reaction Score
Great pair of wins today, if we can hold on to this second game of the doubleheader.

It really is remarkable how we've been able to scratch wins out considering our whole team is on the IL.
So when does Rojas start getting credit? His use of the pen and all these makeshift lineups? We’d surely be blaming him if they were 6 games under .500 even with the injuries.

Reaction Score
So when does Rojas start getting credit? His use of the pen and all these makeshift lineups? We’d surely be blaming him if they were 6 games under .500 even with the injuries.
He probably does deserve some credit, but the day he's fired can't come soon enough for me

Reaction Score
I loved the trade but don’t like the contract. When he allegedly turned down something like 10/325 I would’ve been fine letting him play out the year. There are other SS that will be available. However Cohen can clearly afford it so ‍♂️.

But yea I’m starting to lose hope he can finish the year with decent numbers. I’d probably sign up for a .235 average right now as that would mean he at least hits .265 or so the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
With all the injuries and me not knowing half the position players before the season, I’m getting major 2015 vibes. I don’t even think they need to get everyone back to have a more talented team than 2015. My optimism is unbridled and I’m ready to be hurt again.

Reaction Score
If Jacob goes out and spins a gem tonight, I'm going to start become irrationally confident in this team - and setting myself up...

Reaction Score
Question.

Who is the next captain of the Mets?

Alonso? Home grown? Has that “it” factor?
Lindor? Leader on the field, big contract and not going anywhere for a while?
Anyone else? Could a guy like Pillar or Dom be that guy?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Question.

If I'm voting? Alonso hands down. Checks all the boxes.

Reaction Score
Question.

There's been so few that if I were betting I'd say none of them become the captain. Alonso makes sense from the homegrown aspect, think it's clear Lindor is already the leader of the team though

Reaction Score
There's been so few that if I were betting I'd say none of them become the captain. Alonso makes sense from the homegrown aspect, think it's clear Lindor is already the leader of the team though

I almost look at it like when the Sox had guys like Manny and Ortiz but chose Varitek as their captain. When Alonso got everyone 9/11 cleats on his own his rookie year, that's the stuff I see that earns the C more than maybe being rah rah on the field like Lindor is more of?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calling it a 3 year slide is incredibly misleading and clickbait, it's a downtrend but a much smaller sample then that article implies

He also seemed to be barrelling the ball better in that last game against Arizona. I feel asleep too early to see last night's game but it looks like he had a decent night at the plate.

Reaction Score
He also seemed to be barrelling the ball better in that last game against Arizona. I feel asleep too early to see last night's game but it looks like he had a decent night at the plate.
Yeah I feel asleep in the 4th inning but looked like he was productive in getting them their runs after I stopped watching. This is an interesting read on what's causing his issues, long story short he doesn't do anything particularly well in hitting the ball hard or a lot of line drives/fly balls but is elite at just putting the ball in play and not striking out. So he's prone to extended periods where he looks terrible when balls aren't dropping but over the long term that tends to even out and the numbers should even out

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So this deGrom fella is pretty good.
Perhaps it's my bias from being a Mets fan, but I can't remember seeing so little fanfare about such a dominating player. Is it because he is so humble? Is it because he is a Met?

I feel like he would be headline news with his face lining billboards on the highway and appearing on countless commercials if he was on the Yankees or the Red Sox, or if he was a real showy player.

But he just goes about his work like another day at the office.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom