The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Vientos is something else. It's great to see our farm system develop a legitimately great power hitter for the first time since Alonso.

Wasn't expecting us to be a serious world series contender this year. Just going to enjoy the ride as long as it goes on.

Reaction Score
Vientos is something else. It's great to see our farm system develop a legitimately great power hitter for the first time since Alonso.

Wasn't expecting us to be a serious world series contender this year. Just going to enjoy the ride as long as it goes on.
I'm cautiously anxious to see what Ronny Mauricio brings next season.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Rest in Peace Steady Eddie, a true hometown hero (supposedly had hoops scholarship offers from UNC & St. Johns). Fitting that the 7 line runs by Citifield/Shea site, a travesty his number wasn't retired while he was alive. All time hit leader at Shea Stadium. Debuted at 17, was only 24 in 1969. From 1974 through 1978 Kranepool hit .396 as a pinch hitter, batting .486 (17-for-35) in the role in 1974, still the major league single-season pinch hit batting average record, unlikely to ever be broken. Most importantly, anyone who ever met him said he was enormously gracious. Tough '24 for the '69 Miracle Mets :(

Ed Kranepool, A Teenage Met Who Lasted 18 Seasons, Dies at 79

Attachments

• 20240909_195408.jpg
    20240909_195408.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 12

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Rest in Peace Steady Eddie, a true hometown hero (supposedly had hoops scholarship offers from UNC & St. Johns). Fitting that the 7 line runs by Citifield/Shea site, a travesty his number wasn't retired while he was alive. All time hit leader at Shea Stadium. Debuted at 17, was only 24 in 1969. From 1974 through 1978 Kranepool hit .396 as a pinch hitter, batting .486 (17-for-35) in the role in 1974, still the major league single-season pinch hit batting average record, unlikely to ever be broken. Most importantly, anyone who ever met him said he was enormously gracious. Tough '24 for the '69 Miracle Mets :(

Ed Kranepool, A Teenage Met Who Lasted 18 Seasons, Dies at 79
I knew he'd been ill for a long time, but still sad to hear. He won't get the chance to see the White Sox break the '62's record for futility.

Reaction Score
Less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report and....

1) No significant FA adds this offseason.
2) No extension for Pete.
3) A bunch of middling 4.00+ ERA type mid inning relievers and defensive only outfielders added to last year's team.
4) No answer at 3B with Mauricio out and no faith in Baty as a full time option there.

I'm seeing projections of 87-88 wins and a wild card spot. Is anyone really excited about the prospects of this season? Seems like we're just keeping the seat warm until some of those prospects are ready, then maybe we make a multi-year run?

Are Justin Turner and/or JD Martinez must signs?
Revisiting Post #1 to start this season.

• They obviously ended up getting JD and he's been phenomenal. Great presence in the lineup.
  • Still nothing on Pete. This could be his last homestand as a Met and that's weird/sad.
  • Vientos emerging at 3B and as a hitter has been maybe the biggest position player story outside Lindor's season.
  • While the moves seemed underwhelming at the time, wow, has Stearns turned me around with his eye for talent. Maton, Stanek, Manaea, Torrens, Winker, Bader, Iglesias, Taylor....and best of all? They haven't given up a single piece of the rebuilding minor league chain.

Reaction Score
Up 9-1 in the 7th tonight.

1) This team is really beautiful to watch at times. The fielding? Double plays, diving stops every night in the infield. Phenomenal coverage and speed all over the outfield. Pickoffs. Throwing out base stealers. The way they run the bases and always make the smart, savvy decisions there. Really entertaining.

2) When things are bad, the hitting/pitching coach gets fired. I don't know how much credit Jeremy Hefner should get? But I feel like it's a lot. Watching Megill and Peterson these last couple months? Seeing Quintana figure things out at the right time? The starters have been amazing.

Reaction Score
Up 9-1 in the 7th tonight.

1) This team is really beautiful to watch at times. The fielding? Double plays, diving stops every night in the infield. Phenomenal coverage and speed all over the outfield. Pickoffs. Throwing out base stealers. The way they run the bases and always make the smart, savvy decisions there. Really entertaining.

2) When things are bad, the hitting/pitching coach gets fired. I don't know how much credit Jeremy Hefner should get? But I feel like it's a lot. Watching Megill and Peterson these last couple months? Seeing Quintana figure things out at the right time? The starters have been amazing.
Diamondbacks down 3-1 and oh yea the Braves lost.

Reaction Score
This has been quite an enjoyable turnaround.

Had NO idea that Acuna was up, wow. That’s the type of magic that leads to a deep run..

Reaction Score
100% agree about Hefner deserving all kinds of credit. Mets have the best starting ERA in baseball since June 20th I read.

There is no ace on the staff!

Think about how much the philosophy changed for this year, no DeGrom type, didn’t go grab a Verlander or Max - Senga was the defacto ace and he’s pitched all of one game. They pieced together a staff of guys who couldn’t get big contracts for various reasons. Severino, Mancaea, Quintana, Peterson, MeGill, Blackburn - I mean that’s not blowing anyone away with name recognition and yet here we are humming along! Major props to Hefner.

Reaction Score
This has been quite an enjoyable turnaround.

Had NO idea that Acuna was up, wow. That’s the type of magic that leads to a deep run..
Acuna has been fantastic so far! I thought the whole deal was he swings and misses too much and doesn’t have pop. Batting .421 with a 1.316 OPS! A triple, double, 2 homers. Has been electric! Not sure how long before the scouting report gets out on him and he has to adjust, but I love what I see out of that guy.

Brett Batty feels like a distant memory with Vientos doing his thing and Acuna flashing like this.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how you keep Acuna off the field right now.

We got rid of an over the hill Scherzer. Saved 65m and got Acuna???? That may go down as one of the best trades in Mets history.

Reaction Score
100% agree about Hefner deserving all kinds of credit. Mets have the best starting ERA in baseball since June 20th I read.

There is no ace on the staff!

Think about how much the philosophy changed for this year, no DeGrom type, didn’t go grab a Verlander or Max - Senga was the defacto ace and he’s pitched all of one game. They pieced together a staff of guys who couldn’t get big contracts for various reasons. Severino, Mancaea, Quintana, Peterson, MeGill, Blackburn - I mean that’s not blowing anyone away with name recognition and yet here we are humming along! Major props to Hefner.
Well said about Hefner, Q & S leading the rotation was not on my bingo card but he made it work, wow.

Reaction Score
God, I hate to talk like this but….did we just punch the Phillies in the mouth? Didn’t let them clinch on our field. Took 3 of 4 and set the rotation and pen up perfectly for the Braves. Wow.

Reaction Score
Took one with our spot starter vs their cy young guy! Great start from MeGill and great work out of the pen.
The logical part of my brain can't understand how Manaea, Quintana, Petersen and Megill all "figured it out" almost overnight. And I'm going to be super upset if they can't figure out how to keep Manaea for the next few years.

Reaction Score
The logical part of my brain can't understand how Manaea, Quintana, Petersen and Megill all "figured it out" almost overnight. And I'm going to be super upset if they can't figure out how to keep Manaea for the next few years.
Yeah, Manaea is the one I want to lock up. Not sure what it'll cost now, but I don't really care. The Mets are going to have to pay someone or roll the dice on trying to fix some misfits again - Next year I think it looks like Senga, Blackburn, MeGill and Peterson as being the only guys who are under team control. And while MeGill has been great here down the stretch - I don't feel fantastic about him as being locked in as a full time starter. Him and Blackburn both feel like 5th guys in a rotation. Here is sort of how I see what we have returning:

1-Senga
2- ???
3- ???
4 - Peterson
5- MeGill/Blackburn

I'm sure between injuries or quality of play we will need 6 or 7 starters minimum. I hope MeGill and Blackburn rank no higher than 5th and 6th in that list. Manaea would easily fit in as a 2 or a 1 if you want to swap out him and Senga. Still need another quality arm you can count on. And then figure out what we are doing or not with Pete. And the dream is to land Soto :D

Reaction Score
Bad game 1. Bats gotta wake up, but some misplays in the field too. Acuna maybe got a bad hop on a would be double play ball. Alvarez got in Sevy's way on a throw attempt to first that caused an error. Marte over shot his cut off man allowing a single to turn into a double and ultimately cost us another run.

Gotta do all the little things. Atlanta has their pitching lined up this series, we have to be on top of it! Good news is Zona lost again, so still in 2nd overall in the wild card. A loss tonight to Sale will start to make things really nerve wrecking heading into these last few games.

Reaction Score
Bad game 1. Bats gotta wake up, but some misplays in the field too. Acuna maybe got a bad hop on a would be double play ball. Alvarez got in Sevy's way on a throw attempt to first that caused an error. Marte over shot his cut off man allowing a single to turn into a double and ultimately cost us another run.

Gotta do all the little things. Atlanta has their pitching lined up this series, we have to be on top of it! Good news is Zona lost again, so still in 2nd overall in the wild card. A loss tonight to Sale will start to make things really nerve wrecking heading into these last few games.
At this point it'll be surprising if either of the next 2 games even happen

Reaction Score
1) It's amazing how a few innings can wipe away the feelings from a month of total dominance and turn me back into Chicken Little.
2) I would love to start this game, warm Sele up, have him go 2-3 innings then call it for weather. I feel like that's happened to us a lot in the past.

Reaction Score
I've been checking out the weather in Atlanta and there is 0.00000% chance either of these games get played. If I'm the Mets, I get on a plane and head to Milwaukee right now. The Brewers are in Pittsburgh. Get comfy in Milwaukee, get some practices in, stay loose....instead of sitting in a hotel room the next two days unable to set foot outside or take part in any baseball related activities.

Reaction Score
I've been checking out the weather in Atlanta and there is 0.00000% chance either of these games get played. If I'm the Mets, I get on a plane and head to Milwaukee right now. The Brewers are in Pittsburgh. Get comfy in Milwaukee, get some practices in, stay loose....instead of sitting in a hotel room the next two days unable to set foot outside or take part in any baseball related activities.
It's pretty much unavoidable at this point, but both teams having to play a double header Monday right before potentially starting a 3 game wild card series on Tuesday really sucks

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The commissioners office must really hate Steve Cohen, allowing the Braves to jerk the Mets around like this. They moved up the Tiger game yesterday with rain in the forecast, but ignored the impending hurricane about to hit Atlanta?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom