The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread

Reaction Score
What the heck happened to him? He started out strong last year..got hurt…struggled. He was supposed to be healthy this year.

Is he still having concussionn issues…or is he just showing his age?

I mean he hasn't hit over 240 in many years. He's regressing for sure but his best year here he hit 224 (I know average isn't everything...) and he's hitting 220 this year with less power. Not sure why people are so surprised.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I mean he hasn't hit over 240 in many years. He's regressing for sure but his best year here he hit 224 (I know average isn't everything...) and he's hitting 220 this year with less power. Not sure why people are so surprised.
I don't watch Yankees games, but I have to wonder if he's no longer standing on top of the plate. I watched him for years with the Cubs. I noticed over past 1.5 seasons (almost 700 PAs) he's only been HBP 18 times and he used to clear 20+ in a regular season. Maybe he's moved back and can't hit the outside pitch or get around on inside low like he used to.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
you are correct…I honestly didn’t realize how long it’s been since he played a full season and hit for power and average. 2019 was his last good season.

To be honest….I didn’t realize how long he has been declining until I looked it up,

Reaction Score

I’m not surprised at all, it’s time that’s all. He’s hiding is deficiencies behind some very hot hitting but the Yanks will need something from 1B eventually.

Reaction Score
you are correct…I honestly didn’t realize how long it’s been since he played a full season and hit for power and average. 2019 was his last good season.

To be honest….I didn’t realize how long he has been declining until I looked it up,

He still brings a lot to the table. I believe with a team like the Yankees his personality and presence far exceeds what he brings solely on the field. The Yankees have always had such a corporate and boring vibe and guys like Rizzo, Verdugo, Swisher, etc. are more important than their stats.

Reaction Score
He still brings a lot to the table. I believe with a team like the Yankees his personality and presence far exceeds what he brings solely on the field. The Yankees have always had such a corporate and boring vibe and guys like Rizzo, Verdugo, Swisher, etc. are more important than their stats.

But Verdugo and Swisher could hit. His presence in the dugout is obvious and we know how much Judge likes him. But how long can it be basically just that?

Reaction Score
But Verdugo and Swisher could hit. His presence in the dugout is obvious and we know how much Judge likes him. But how long can it be basically just that?
for as long as they keep on winning... Once he becomes a true detriment then you make a change. But benching him now could have adverse effect I think.

Reaction Score
for as long as they keep on winning... Once he becomes a true detriment then you make a change. But benching him now could have adverse effect I think.
He's also still a plus defender and with the way the offense has been rolling, the Yanks can afford to be patient. For now.

Reaction Score
Here's a bit on Yankees' prospect Ben Rice, who was recently promoted to AAA. He was drafted as a catcher, but is playing more 1B this year, so Yahoo pegs him as a potential call-up to replace Rizzo's spot.

Rice has 35 homers, 20 steals and a .993 OPS with strong contact metrics (14% BB, 19.7% K) over his last 600 plate appearances.

Reaction Score
Never ends, Judge hit on the hand or wrist going to guess it’s not good. Took himself out if he’s absent for a while will be painful. Can’t take much Grisham on O.

Reaction Score
Never ends, Judge hit on the hand or wrist going to guess it’s not good. Took himself out if he’s absent for a while will be painful. Can’t take much Grisham on O.
Definitely cast a pall over a nice win. But how great was Ben Rice's reaction to his first big league hit. That was awesome.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
X-rays showed nothing broken. May need a couple of days off. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Yup got Torres too!! Has to happen

Actually, the Yankees retaliated Tuesday night when they threw at Gunnar. He ducked and sat on his butt. Message received?

Yup.

Message receipt acknowledged by the Yankees?

Nope.

They furthered the issue by throwing at Gunnar again, this time hitting him, and well that proved costly...after reaching base, he (like the the rest of the adult male world) stole 2nd on Trevino and scored on a double by either Mountcastle or O'Hearn. I forget. Look it up if you must know.

The O's won in extras, 7-6.

Reaction Score
Actually, the Yankees retaliated Tuesday night when they threw at Gunnar. He ducked and sat on his butt. Message received?

Yup.

Nope.

They furthered the issue by throwing at Gunnar again, this time hitting him, and well that proved costly...after reaching base, he (like the the rest of the adult male world) stole 2nd on Trevino and scored on a double by either Mountcastle or O'Hearn. I forget. Look it up if you must know.

Didn’t see the game and don’t need to know. Had to throw at someone glad they did, not glad they lost.

Oh well need Judge back and thankfully he will be despite the attempt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Yup.

Nope.

Didn’t see the game and don’t need to know. Had to throw at someone glad they did, not glad they lost.

Oh well need Judge back and thankfully he will be despite the attempt.

I saw Tuesday's game.

Gunnar did not land on his butt, and it while it was up and in, it wasn't close enough to hit him and it was at an eye level and location where a batter can avoid getting hit without much effort.

Only watched the last couple innings of last night's game, didn't see Gunnar gettting hit, hopefully it wasn't anywhere that could cause him to miss any games, such as where the O's threw at Judge and Torres.

If you think there was something wrong with retaliating, I don't know what to tell you.

As far as a major league catcher not being able to throw out any runner, in any circumstances, well, that's a significant problem.

Reaction Score
Yankees have some good bullpen news.

They’ve signed veteran LHP Tim Hill whose 65% ground ball rate is elite and hasn’t given up a HR this season in 23 IP.

Effross and Brubaker also have started their rehab assignments, so hopefully they’ll be ready at the majors soon.

Reaction Score
Team is paper tigers every year. They front run to start the season with hero ball and then they do a swan dive once they are scouted out. Team is soft.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Team is paper tigers every year. They front run to start the season with hero ball and then they do a swan dive once they are scouted out. Team is soft.
they need to prove they can beat good teams with good pitching. Losing series to LA and Baltimore is not a good look.

but…with if Cole is fully back..and Judge stays healthy…they have a shot.

Reaction Score
they need to prove they can beat good teams with good pitching. Losing series to LA and Baltimore is not a good look.

but…with if Cole is fully back..and Judge stays healthy…they have a shot.
Losing is an understatement right now. Yes with Judge and Cole they have a shot correct and Cashman has wasted their prime. Yankees culture is the anti Hurley where winning championships are no longer a priority.

Reaction Score
Losing is an understatement right now. Yes with Judge and Cole they have a shot correct and Cashman has wasted their prime. Yankees culture is the anti Hurley where winning championships are no longer a priority.
They’re in trouble in a huge way. All the top teams are better!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The team on the field is all on Cashman. The game has past him by.

He and Hal are satisfied with winning just enough to make the playoffs and that's it. There is no desire to do what it takes to win it all.

Unfortunately, Steinbrenner will not fire Cashman.

Reaction Score
Boone and Cashman are in the last years of their contract what is Hal waiting for? Brad Ausmus should be the interim manager, teams have turned their season around canning their manager mid season, Phillies went to the World Series firing Girardi and promoting Rob Thompson.

Now the Yankees haven’t gotten to that point yet but assuming they lose this series against Braves or god forbid get swept, if they cant turn it around against the Mets then Hal will have a tremendous amount of pressure to can Boone or Cashman and Boone would be the fall guy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While it shouoldn't matter, Cashman's contract runs through 2026. I don't believe Hal would consider firing him in-season and I imagine Hal would be a bit reluctant to fire him prior to the end of the 2025 season. That Hal stepped in (out of normal character for him) during the Aaron Judge negotiations gives me soome hope that he isn't willing to just let Cashman do whatever he pleases.

I get frustrated with Boone quite a bit but the core issue is Cashman and the problem is that Cashman wants someone who is basically in lockstep with Cashman's metrics based philosphy (which I personally believe is a misinterpretation of what metrics can provide).

At the moment we are at a serious inflection point in the season. I don't expect Gil and Rodon to each give us 30+ starts at the level of their first dozen this year but if each falls off to a level where neither is a dependable starter, we may not be able to play .500 ball the remainder of the season. Add to the the fact that Gil missed all of 2023 and basically all of 2022 (three plus innings before blowing out his UCL), he's likely already pitched 2/3 of the innings they can safely have him throw this season. I would strongly consider shutting him down for a week or so after all star break, then bring him back as a short reliever, so that he can contribute in the playoffs and be in position to give us a full season as a starter next year.

With Schmidt and Loaisiga both on the 60 day DL they can at best be similar to solid trde deadline acquisitions when August rolls around. Cole should be a few starts away from being in full form but beyond that we'll have question marks with consistency from Strohman, Rodon and Cortes and finding out how much Gil has left in the tank.

With quite a few non-descript arms in the bullpen, our pitching, which was miles above what we could have reasonably expected until about a week ago, will be a challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom