The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
For the first time in while I caught some Yankee action. Tuned in at the 6th inning. Winning!!

What the hell happened?

Reaction Score
I knew in February that the Yankees had no shot this year!
In October they needed at least 2 starting pitchers, 1 relief pitcher, a 3rd baseman, a first baseman, a catcher, and another good OF!
The Yankees were done when they didn't even interview Bryce Harper, and J.T. Realmuto back 4 or 5 years ago.
Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman are killing the Yankees and now Hal says the Yankees have to watch their spending in the future! This from the 1st or 2nd richest franchise!
If George was still alive the Yankees would have won at least 3 World Series since 2009!

Reaction Score
For the first time in while I caught some Yankee action. Tuned in at the 6th inning. Winning!!

What the hell happened?

It’s called the bullpen and a closer!

Oh yeah and if Judge doesn’t hit they don’t score enough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Here's the article on Bill James' complaints:

hijacked by the computer guys

Saw this yesterday blasting Yankee's development system:

Aaron Judge's hitting coach

I've read and heard enough to write a novel criticizing what's going on with baseball and my biggest gripe is that many who are running MLB teams (Cashman may be the most extreme) believe that a lineup comprised entirely of Dave Kingman clones would provide the best possible offense.

I'll add to this later if I have the time and patience, but I've been claiming for more than a decade (as we move deeper and deeper into this assinine approach to baseball) that the 1998 Yankees would be more dominant in the current environment than they were in '98, adding a few wins to what they would have totalled every couple of years, as what they did to win continues to become more and more foreign to what's actually going on in current MLB.

I just wish that someone would analyze what that team did and what made them so dominany as a team when no one individual (save Mariano) appeared irreplaceable. Everyone could hit at a good batting average for their position. Everyone had some pop (even though in a year when historic home run records fell and every team seemed to have guys who could hit 40, 50, or more, one team did not have one player reach 30, yet they set a (then) single season win record.

Everyone's looking at metrics as some type of cheat code. I can provide a cheat code that would actually work:

• Every player can field their position (each being somewhere in the top five or six in the league defensively at his position).
  • Every player can make solid contact (each being somewhere in the top 25% in batting average for his position). There is something to be said for productive outs. I’m sick of bases loaded or second and third with no outs only to see runners stranded due to a strikeout or popup.
  • Everyone who plays a position that requires some athleticism (all three outfield positions, second, short and third) is an intelligent baserunner with the speed to take the extra base an on occasion, steal a base (especially as they’ve made it so difficult to consistently hold a baserunner on base).
  • Develop starting pitching so each can provide solid length (I do not view making it through the fifth inning as a solid start), to a) have the opponent face a solid starter for more innings, b) not overwork the bullpen to the point where they have nothing left by all star break and c) avoid needing a closer who can be almost automatic (as Mariano was, really the only one ever for that extended a period) while not being needed for two thirds of the games.
I really wish someone would figure out that focusing on spin rates, exit velocities, pull rates and launch angles aren’t really helping anything.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Read an article (I'll look it up and post it when I'm back on my home pc) where Bill James said analytics are ruining baseball (he's an interesting perspective as he started all of this) and this is due to analysts spending too much time on details without understanding the basis of the concepts.

I've been griping for years that Cashman is trying to use analytics to build the team without really understanding what the metrics are telling him. He's so convinced that the three true outcomes (HR, walk, SO) are all that matter, we have a team that cannot score runs without hitting a lot of home runs.
This is spot on!!!

I have had this debate with our oldest son for several seasons now. Cashman is married to his analytics. Cashman evaluates all hitters based on bat speed and launch angle. These stats dictate who he trades for. We have seen the results of that all too often. Cashman does not value the singles and doubles hitters. Consequently NY has not had a decent leadoff hitter in ages.

His analytics for pitchers is just as bad. He values off speed pitchers over fastball ones. Jordan Montgomery said as much after the Yankees traded him to St. Louis. Montgomery was only allow to have 20% of his pitches be fastballs.

Steinbreener is not going to fire Cashman. Boone is not going to get fired because he does what Cashman tells him. Hence, the Yankees will continue to be a disappointment.

Reaction Score
It’s called the bullpen and a closer!

Oh yeah and if Judge doesn’t hit they don’t score enough.
Volpe not running out a ground ball too would’ve given the Yankees a 3 run lead in the 9th of course I wouldn’t put it past Holmes to blow it in the 9th still.

Guys don’t hustle or execute fundamental baseball and are never held accountable. Volpe is better than this it’s a prime example of not having a culture anymore.

You ever see this on Hurleys team a guy would get his ass chewed out by everyone and probably get his ass kicked by an Andre Jackson or a Cam Spencer. Of course it would never happened because laziness is never accepted when you have a culture and a pursuit of excellence.

You would never see a Jim Penders team play like this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nothing like winning and losing for people to start jumping to conclusions that are all over the place. Some criticism is well taken, others i think not so much. Some things Cashman,on hindsight could have done better, others not so bad at the time. They were humming along even without Cole.

The bullpen looks like the worst of all starting with Holmes who for the last two years has blown way too many saves. His sinker is great when it sinks. When it sinks. He virtually never has a clean inning. They need a closer with a plus fastball that moves with one additional good pitch. Weaver is mostly ok. The others are way too hittable. I gice Cashman an oversll D on the pen. but losing Losoigia (sp?) wasn’t his fault.

The starters were doing great and some not so
much lately. Losing Cole didn’t seem to hurt, but losing Cole was not Cashman’s fault and then Schmidt who had become a good 6 inning guy, also not Cashman’s fault. Cortes has basically been quite good, winning none of his last 4 starts and, the pen blowing 3 of them and overall lousy hitting support. A month ago Gil and Rodon looked fine. There was no reason to think Cashman had done a bad job. Hopefully Gil will come around. Rodon’s big issue obviously is his bad location with limited movement and all of his mistakes seem to wind up in North Dakota. But even his last game, he gave up only 3 runs in 5 innings on 2 hr and no run support

Hitting. Cashman has done a pretty good job on the outfield. Verdugo unfortunately has slumped at a bad time. Grisham is a decent addition as a throw in on the Soto deal. Pkease sign Soto. Always on base. Now the Martian seems to have the Yankee injury bug.

The infield. Hmm. I like Volpe. Slumping lately but also hitting the ball reasonably hard with no results. The rest of the infield. Torres is the biggest question mark and now he might be injured. Definitely major league capable but way too erratic on both sides of the ball. First base. Getting Rizzo originally was fine. Obviously great fielder with a swing made for the Stadium last few years bad, but he was hitting well last year until the freak injury, not Cashman’s fsult. There are some hopeful signs that Rice is a player with more consistent offense.who might be an answer. Third base. A major hole or maybe not. Cabrera looks like a pretty good defender who hits, especially from the left side, when he is in the line up consistently. Is LeMahieu done? Great signing when they got him. Davis is a fill in. If Torres is out, DJ will see a lot of time at 2nd. Upgrade at 2nd looks like a good move. Rice might be an answer at 1st . 3rd a mixed bag. If NY signs Soto i can’t see how they get very high level talent at 2nd or 3rd. Might have to come from wuthin the farm system.

Catching. Not bad, not great. Wells may be an answer. Trevino workman.

DH. Who knew the O would fall apart when Stanton had his annual long term muscle pull. Was signing him to a big long term deal an original mistake? Only hindsight says maybe. But this year it looked like the productive Stanton was there.

I don’t know what kind of big trade they can do right now with a bottom level team In my book the big need is a hitter and a closer. Who would be good trade candidates that don’t weaken on position to improve another.

Reaction Score
Nothing like winning and losing for people to start jumping to conclusions that are all over the place. Some criticism is well taken, others i think not so much. Some things Cashman,on hindsight could have done better, others not so bad at the time. They were humming along even without Cole.

The bullpen looks like the worst of all starting with Holmes who for the last two years has blown way too many saves. His sinker is great when it sinks. When it sinks. He virtually never has a clean inning. They need a closer with a plus fastball that moves with one additional good pitch. Weaver is mostly ok. The others are way too hittable. I gice Cashman an oversll D on the pen. but losing Losoigia (sp?) wasn’t his fault.

much lately. Losing Cole didn’t seem to hurt, but losing Cole was not Cashman’s fault and then Schmidt who had become a good 6 inning guy, also not Cashman’s fault. Cortes has basically been quite good, winning none of his last 4 starts and, the pen blowing 3 of them and overall lousy hitting support. A month ago Gil and Rodon looked fine. There was no reason to think Cashman had done a bad job. Hopefully Gil will come around. Rodon’s big issue obviously is his bad location with limited movement and all of his mistakes seem to wind up in North Dakota. But even his last game, he gave up only 3 runs in 5 innings on 2 hr and no run support

Hitting. Cashman has done a pretty good job on the outfield. Verdugo unfortunately has slumped at a bad time. Grisham is a decent addition as a throw in on the Soto deal. Pkease sign Soto. Always on base. Now the Martian seems to have the Yankee injury bug.

The infield. Hmm. I like Volpe. Slumping lately but also hitting the ball reasonably hard with no results. The rest of the infield. Torres is the biggest question mark and now he might be injured. Definitely major league capable but way too erratic on both sides of the ball. First base. Getting Rizzo originally was fine. Obviously great fielder with a swing made for the Stadium last few years bad, but he was hitting well last year until the freak injury, not Cashman’s fsult. There are some hopeful signs that Rice is a player with more consistent offense.who might be an answer. Third base. A major hole or maybe not. Cabrera looks like a pretty good defender who hits, especially from the left side, when he is in the line up consistently. Is LeMahieu done? Great signing when they got him. Davis is a fill in. If Torres is out, DJ will see a lot of time at 2nd. Upgrade at 2nd looks like a good move. Rice might be an answer at 1st . 3rd a mixed bag. If NY signs Soto i can’t see how they get very high level talent at 2nd or 3rd. Might have to come from wuthin the farm system.

DH. Who knew the O would fall apart when Stanton had his annual long term muscle pull. Was signing him to a big long term deal an original mistake? Only hindsight says maybe. But this year it looked like the productive Stanton was there.

I don’t know what kind of big trade they can do right now with a bottom level team In my book the big need is a hitter and a closer. Who would be good trade candidates that don’t weaken on position to improve another.
Should put up the April and May champions banner next to the World Series banners, I’m sure Hal would be on board with it.

Reaction Score

Grisham stinks can’t hit worth a lick never could. Cabrera eh not an awful back up but really not a good hitter but typical Yankee from a Cashman perspective lol. Wells swings and misses too much not awful defensively but Trevino decent bat can’t throw you out. LeMahiue swung it ok yesterday one can only hope. Rizzo was never a good signing he was already a .240 hitter with less pop but maybe Rice can make up for that miscue again by Cash. Stanton, like the guy, always hurt. Verdugo I liked the pick up he’s ok. Soto is slumping hard but I expect he’ll be back soon enough.

Pitching lol has been awful he got lucky with some fast starts but overall Cash’s idea of a staff has been horrible there’s no denying it.

Cashman has to go it’s the worst spend of 3-350 Mil ever and he’s been consistently awful in doing so since 2009.

Reaction Score
This team absolutely sucks right now, you have to move on from Boone and make Ausmus the interim Manager. If you don’t then you are settling for mediocrity.

Reaction Score
This team absolutely sucks right now, you have to move on from Boone and make Ausmus the interim Manager. If you don’t then you are settling for mediocrity.

Look at this team on the field as much as I don’t think Boone is a great manager who the hell can win with this product that Cashman consistently throws out there?

If Cash is staying then just keep Boone and continue to suck. Soto has been bad a couple weeks and Judge is due for a small one after scorching so scoring will be a tough thing for this horrid roster.

Reaction Score
Look at this team on the field as much as I don’t think Boone is a great manager who the hell can win with this product that Cashman consistently throws out there?

If Cash is staying then just keep Boone and continue to suck. Soto has been bad a couple weeks and Judge is due for a small one after scorching so scoring will be a tough thing for this horrid roster.
Oh I know Cashman is the main culprit in all of this but he wont get canned firing Boone is far more realistic, he would be the fall guy which I don’t like. You have to do something but of course why would Cashman sacrifice his own ego for the sake of the fans and the clubhouse, and I don’t possibly turn the team around.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem here is that as long as the manager is in lock step with Cashman on how the roster should be managed it will make zero difference who the manager is and as long as Cashman is in charge the manager will need to fall in line with his thinking.

They (those at the top of the organization) may think shaking things up by firing Boone could give the team a boost but the result won't change a thing.

Reaction Score
The problem here is that as long as the manager is in lock step with Cashman on how the roster should be managed it will make zero difference who the manager is and as long as Cashman is in charge the manager will need to fall in line with his thinking.

They (those at the top of the organization) may think shaking things up by firing Boone could give the team a boost but the result won't change a thing.
Exactly because you’re not managing this team unless Cashman knows you’re his puppet. Until Cash is gone Judge will never see a World Series he deserves.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boone manages the game thru an iPad, tells him what to do. It’s basically dummed down to a toddler’s video game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Last 6 batters in tonight's lineup...none hitting over .250. And four are hitting under .225.
When you’re not hitting you need to manufacture runs. Walk, bunt, move men over, steal, timely sacrifices.

Glad to see Boone is sticking by the analytics and refuses to give up an out.

Reaction Score
Ok, fine, I’m now on the “ship is sinking” mentality.

I’m honestly imagining what Soto can bring back in a trade…

One consolation: at least we know for certain Gleyber will NOT be extended to a regrettable contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom