The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From what I understand, Peraza's playing again (Scranton). If I were in charge (I Know, I'm not). Peraza would be playing second base in the Bronx as we speak.

I believe I posted this before on here, but I had this conversation with some friends more than once, beginning a couple years ago (when I first found out that both Volpe and Peraza were legitimate MLB prospects, not merely possibilities with some hype). At the time (basaically when the Yanks finally moved Gleyber out of SS), they should have planned on their future 2B-SS being some configuration of Volpe & Peraza. With that, Gleyber should have been moved to third where his body type was more applicable and that it is primarily a reaction position on defense, his mind wandering as it all too often does wouldn't be an issue. Not needing to think about much of what middle infielder's need to think about during games may also help his hitting.

While this is something that should have been worked out in spring training, not during the season, at this point I would take my chances (briefly) with an infield of DJ, Peraza, Volpe and Gleyber first to third (occaisionally playing Rice to see if he can last in the bigs).

Reaction Score
The Yankees currently still have the best record in all of baseball. You guys are a tough crowd. Losing Stanton for an appreciable amount of time will hurt as he lengthens the lineup. I'm also concerned about the return to last year's form from Rodon. I'm willing to give Gil the benefit of one bad outing after how he's been performing, but it's something to watch. But Stroman has been a pleasant surprise and the patchwork bullpen has been solid.

Reaction Score
Yanks acquire JD Davis from the A's for a 25 year old guy in AA who used to be a top prospect for the Blue Jays, but has a .600 OPS now.

Davis was OK in SF last season (.325 OBP, .738 OPS, 18 HR, 69 RBI) but has not been good in Oakland (.670 OPS in 123 ABs).

Meh.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yanks acquire JD Davis from the A's for a 25 year old guy in AA who used to be a top prospect for the Blue Jays, but has a .600 OPS now.

Davis was OK in SF last season (.325 OBP, .738 OPS, 18 HR, 69 RBI) but has not been good in Oakland (.670 OPS in 123 ABs).

Meh.
He struck out at a 31% rate last year. Typical Cashman trade.

Reaction Score
The Yankees currently still have the best record in all of baseball. You guys are a tough crowd. Losing Stanton for an appreciable amount of time will hurt as he lengthens the lineup. I'm also concerned about the return to last year's form from Rodon. I'm willing to give Gil the benefit of one bad outing after how he's been performing, but it's something to watch. But Stroman has been a pleasant surprise and the patchwork bullpen has been solid.

It’s the Yankees not the Royals, you do know in Yankee world it’s 162 one game seasons as Yankees super fan Joez McFly says. Another series loss against a good team now if they lose this upcoming series against the Mets then the pitch forks will be out.

Reaction Score
Let’s bat Gleyber 4th tonight because he’s so clutch:rolleyes: bases loaded no one out and he Ks. Lose him and JD Davis nice trade Cash.

Reaction Score
Let’s bat Gleyber 4th tonight because he’s so clutch:rolleyes: bases loaded no one out and he Ks. Lose him and JD Davis nice trade Cash.
Hey Cashman is a genius can’t question him. I don’t really buy this team as just being in a slump im afraid this is who they are, no question Judge and Soto we’re gonna rake and continue to do so but 2 guys can only carry a lineup so far, Jemiah Jones as a DH lol.

Reaction Score
I saw Tuesday's game.

Gunnar did not land on his butt, and it while it was up and in, it wasn't close enough to hit him and it was at an eye level and location where a batter can avoid getting hit without much effort.

Only watched the last couple innings of last night's game, didn't see Gunnar gettting hit, hopefully it wasn't anywhere that could cause him to miss any games, such as where the O's threw at Judge and Torres.

If you think there was something wrong with retaliating, I don't know what to tell you.

As far as a major league catcher not being able to throw out any runner, in any circumstances, well, that's a significant problem.

In other words, it was a message pitch. They proceeded to hit a few more Orioles throughout the series, all because an errant pitch hit Judge.

And LOL at Torres being 'thrown at.' His hand was wrapped around the knob of the bat. If he were like half the batters in MLB, that would've been a strike (ricochet off the bat). Torres, like most MLB players, drape their bat very close to the K zone.

Reaction Score
While it shouoldn't matter, Cashman's contract runs through 2026. I don't believe Hal would consider firing him in-season and I imagine Hal would be a bit reluctant to fire him prior to the end of the 2025 season. That Hal stepped in (out of normal character for him) during the Aaron Judge negotiations gives me soome hope that he isn't willing to just let Cashman do whatever he pleases.

I get frustrated with Boone quite a bit but the core issue is Cashman and the problem is that Cashman wants someone who is basically in lockstep with Cashman's metrics based philosphy (which I personally believe is a misinterpretation of what metrics can provide).

At the moment we are at a serious inflection point in the season. I don't expect Gil and Rodon to each give us 30+ starts at the level of their first dozen this year but if each falls off to a level where neither is a dependable starter, we may not be able to play .500 ball the remainder of the season. Add to the the fact that Gil missed all of 2023 and basically all of 2022 (three plus innings before blowing out his UCL), he's likely already pitched 2/3 of the innings they can safely have him throw this season. I would strongly consider shutting him down for a week or so after all star break, then bring him back as a short reliever, so that he can contribute in the playoffs and be in position to give us a full season as a starter next year.

With Schmidt and Loaisiga both on the 60 day DL they can at best be similar to solid trde deadline acquisitions when August rolls around. Cole should be a few starts away from being in full form but beyond that we'll have question marks with consistency from Strohman, Rodon and Cortes and finding out how much Gil has left in the tank.

With quite a few non-descript arms in the bullpen, our pitching, which was miles above what we could have reasonably expected until about a week ago, will be a challenge.

Gil needs to be moved to the BP now. Not after he suffers (the dreaded) elbow inflammation.

What sucks for the Yankees is Jasson's injury prevents the move of him to CF, Judge back to RF and Soto to DH. Soto is a lobotomy in RF. Think hard about paying him 45m a year to be the team's DH. Especially when half the lineup looks like a Sunday crossword puzzle.

Reaction Score
I mean let’s be honest that lineup the last 2 nights is pitiful. Gil looks like he shot his load and the bullpens smoke and mirrors start is now a huge problem.

Judge is killing it, more than likely all for nothing again!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
In other words, it was a message pitch. They proceeded to hit a few more Orioles throughout the series, all because an errant pitch hit Judge.

And LOL at Torres being 'thrown at.' His hand was wrapped around the knob of the bat. If he were like half the batters in MLB, that would've been a strike (ricochet off the bat). Torres, like most MLB players, drape their bat very close to the K zone.
So if it comes out of an Oriole pitcher's hand it's an errant pitch but if it comes out of a Yankee pitcher's hand they are doing something wrong?

That's hilarious.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I mean let’s be honest that lineup the last 2 nights is pitiful. Gil looks like he shot his load and the bullpens smoke and mirrors start is now a huge problem.

Judge is killing it, more than likely all for nothing again!
If I were an opponent I'd walk Soto and Judge every at bat and take my chances with the remainder of the lineup.

If the Mets walked Judge Tuesday they would have won by five.

Reaction Score
Wow collapse….. screw injuries this another Cash debacle no back up plan just crappy hitters and a bullpen that’s done. And now Rodon can’t get an out, wow huge huge trouble. This could be epic!:confused:

Reaction Score
If I were an opponent I'd walk Soto and Judge every at bat and take my chances with the remainder of the lineup.

If the Mets walked Judge Tuesday they would have won by five.
It’s what’s gonna happen all season teams will pound the dirt pitch around those guys and take their chances to a lesser degree Stanton has been good but of course the inevevitable was gonna happen where he’s out a minimum of a month but the holes were showing prior to Stanton getting hurt.

Reaction Score
Wow collapse….. screw injuries this another Cash debacle no back up plan just crappy hitters and a bullpen that’s done. And now Rodon can’t get an out, wow huge huge trouble. This could be epic!:confused:
The problem is when arent there injuries with this club, Cashman always has a team of injury prone players. Their something systemically wrong with this organization, now you think benching a player for poor performance is gonna work, it’s too late.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Falling Down Oops GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member