The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What a pleasure it is to watch a player like Aaron Judge in his prime. I've been a Yankee fan since the Reggie teams of the late 1970's and I can't think of any one player that's performed at the level that Judge has these past few years. Even the great dynasty teams of the late 1990's, except for possibly Mariano. Let's hope the Yankees don't do to Judge what the Angels have done to Mike Trout.
You need to go back to the late 50's to 60's. Micky Mantle was awesome. The early 50's was the tail end of Joe Dimaggio's career. And yes I saw Mantle play in his prime.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You need to go back to the late 50's to 60's. Micky Mantle was awesome. The early 50's was the tail end of Joe Dimaggio's career. And yes I saw Mantle play in his prime.
Good call. I only remember Mantle's from '64 on, but yeah, in his first nine seasons Mantle put up 69 fWAR to Judge's 49. Mays was just behind Mantle with about 65 fWAR. Both Mantle and Mays were much better fielders and baserunners, so better all-around games.

Reaction Score
Yankees are not throwing the division. Silly. It is true that Holmes has been bad, They are up5-6 games if he was only half as bad.

Got to,the Stadium today for the second time in 3 weeks after 6 year gap and rewarded both times with a Judge HR and a decent start by Cole, 1 hit , a few too many walks . While the Indians exploded in extra innings in Game 1, despite Gil struggles, the Indians did squat against our starters.
You just said it yourself about Holmes and he's still the closer that's an example of throwing the division. Losing a series in August at home to the Angels, Whitesox ( I'm counting a loss to the Whitesox as losing the series), and Tigers is another example of throwing the division. See the Yankees are getting blasted by the Rockies today let's see if they can actually win the series. Just a severely flawed team outside Judge and Soto.

Team is good front runners but suck in close games.

Reaction Score
Starting Adam Warren in August another example of throwing the division.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Starting Adam Warren in August another example of throwing the division.
“Throwing” is totally a ridiculous idea. They are still
in first place. Warren seems to suck, but he is filling in and Schmidt is due back. If he is ok. they aren’t “throwing” anything. Of course Gil who knows. You can pick out flaws in any team. That Holmes is erratic as hell doesn’t mean they are throwing it away. They obviously would be better off with a lock down closer. Hilarious that you count winning 2 of 3 as losing a series. I just saw them in person vs. the supposedly good Guardians and was amazed to see them starting 3 guys batting under 210. Guess they are throwing it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You just said it yourself about Holmes and he's still the closer that's an example of throwing the division.
Probably won't help you guys since you're way in the back of the line for waiver claims, but feeling is pretty strong here that Pirates will do the right thing and let Chapman go for a third ring. I'd expect his release to come either Monday or Thursday, unless by some miracle they're on a 7 game winning streak. Only thing in Yanks favor is that Chapman will still be owed $1.75 mill for a month's work. Chappie has been untouchable since the AS break.

Reaction Score
A healthy Aaron Judge is insane. He's the best non-juiced up hitter I've ever seen. The locked in juiced up Bonds is the only thing I've seen who surpasses him.

Reaction Score
“Throwing” is totally a ridiculous idea. They are still
in first place. Warren seems to suck, but he is filling in and Schmidt is due back. If he is ok. they aren’t “throwing” anything. Of course Gil who knows. You can pick out flaws in any team. That Holmes is erratic as hell doesn’t mean they are throwing it away. They obviously would be better off with a lock down closer. Hilarious that you count winning 2 of 3 as losing a series. I just saw them in person vs. the supposedly good Guardians and was amazed to see them starting 3 guys batting under 210. Guess they are throwing it.
I was using the term “throwing” in hyperboles obviously. Yankees should have better fill ins than Warren you know the Dodgers do. Yes I do count a single loss to the White Sox in the month of August as losing the series their possibly the worse team of all time it’s equivalent to our basketball team losing to DePaul.

Yes Cleveland is good and we won a series against them ok good. Yes they have 3 guys in the lineup batting .210 ok so should our measuring stick should be to be better then Cleveland?

I know the Yankees are in 1st mainly because of Judge and Soto and Baltimore didn’t take advantage of the Yankees massive slump let’s see if we can win it despite Holmes blowing 10 saves.

Of course every team has flaws the Yankees are held to a higher standard. Im looking at the bigger picture you might be satisfied with just making the playoffs like Hal is satisfied but I’m not. Not winning a World Series without Judge and Soto in their prime is a failure, I don’t feel that the front office has done enough to make this a championship roster hopefully the team is good enough in spite of Cashman.

Yankees can win it all but it just feels like the pieces are held together with scotch tape, relying on injured guys coming back and being in form, winning a World Series is hard but I think Cashman made it harder by not dealing for Jack Flaherty at the deadline.

Reaction Score
I was using the term “throwing” in hyperboles obviously. Yankees should have better fill ins than Warren you know the Dodgers do. Yes I do count a single loss to the White Sox in the month of August as losing the series their possibly the worse team of all time it’s equivalent to our basketball team losing to DePaul.

Yes Cleveland is good and we won a series against them ok good. Yes they have 3 guys in the lineup batting .210 ok so should our measuring stick should be to be better then Cleveland?

I know the Yankees are in 1st mainly because of Judge and Soto and Baltimore didn’t take advantage of the Yankees massive slump let’s see if we can win it despite Holmes blowing 10 saves.

Of course every team has flaws the Yankees are held to a higher standard. Im looking at the bigger picture you might be satisfied with just making the playoffs like Hal is satisfied but I’m not. Not winning a World Series without Judge and Soto in their prime is a failure, I don’t feel that the front office has done enough to make this a championship roster hopefully the team is good enough in spite of Cashman.

Yankees can win it all but it just feels like the pieces are held together with scotch tape, relying on injured guys coming back and being in form, winning a World Series is hard but I think Cashman made it harder by not dealing for Jack Flaherty at the deadline.
Do u think Flaherty is the difference between a playoff spot and a WS Title? I don’t think there was anybody (outside of Skubal) who might’ve been the difference before the deadline. I agree with a lot of what u said, I’m not sure it would’ve been worth the cost.

Reaction Score

They have the second best record in baseball, geez.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Obviously having a great, totally reliable
closer is a big deal in the post season, or any time The starting rotation is usually very different in the post season, rarely going 5 deep. Yankees went without Cole the first half and were still in great shape. Slow start for Judge to boot and it hardly mattered.

Judge is ridiculous right now and Soto ain’t too shabby. I’m guessing that there is some chance that he might accept even a little less to stay with NYY if they make the right offer. They are doing fine and he must be in heaven batting in front of a guy who is approaching all time great status if he isn’t there already.

The Yankee swoon pretty much coincided with Stanton’s injury. He had been hitting pretty well and has been doing well since his return. He is getting fooled by outside sliders way less so far this year. He does run like an elephant is on his back, but i’ll take it if he keeps making contact.

Verdugo historically is better than his last 45 days and maybe showing signs of coming around. Wells is looking like the real deal. If Torres and Volpe can bat even around .250 that would be ok, ditto Chisholm. DJ, who knows, and Rizzo will be back fairly soon although i don’t get too excited about that. And then there is Cabrera. Anyone else like him ? I do and think he could fit in at 1st. Switch hitter, often hard contact especially batting lefty. Maybe they are paying DJ too much to sit.

While @Scoe and I might have a semantic difference over what equals “tanking” it wouldn’t trouble me if they can add a strike out artist closer even if it bruises Holmes’s ego. He is the shakiest part of the team. The other relievers have been pretty good lately.

Why do i think of all the teams. Houston is the one AL team that I would like to avoid.

Reaction Score
closer is a big deal in the post season, or any time The starting rotation is usually very different in the post season, rarely going 5 deep. Yankees went without Cole the first half and were still in great shape. Slow start for Judge to boot and it hardly mattered.

Judge is ridiculous right now and Soto ain’t too shabby. I’m guessing that there is some chance that he might accept even a little less to stay with NYY if they make the right offer. They are doing fine and he must be in heaven batting in front of a guy who is approaching all time great status if he isn’t there already.

The Yankee swoon pretty much coincided with Stanton’s injury. He had been hitting pretty well and has been doing well since his return. He is getting fooled by outside sliders way less so far this year. He does run like an elephant is on his back, but i’ll take it if he keeps making contact.

Verdugo historically is better than his last 45 days and maybe showing signs of coming around. Wells is looking like the real deal. If Torres and Volpe can bat even around .250 that would be ok, ditto Chisholm. DJ, who knows, and Rizzo will be back fairly soon although i don’t get too excited about that. And then there is Cabrera. Anyone else like him ? I do and think he could fit in at 1st. Switch hitter, often hard contact especially batting lefty. Maybe they are paying DJ too much to sit.

While @Scoe and I might have a semantic difference over what equals “tanking” it wouldn’t trouble me if they can add a strike out artist closer even if it bruises Holmes’s ego. He is the shakiest part of the team. The other relievers have been pretty good lately.

Why do i think of all the teams. Houston is the one AL team that I would like to avoid.
DJ is cooked.

Reaction Score

Gleyber actually looks surprisingly good in the leadoff spot as of now anyways. I think Stanton and Volpe are the key to the lineup. Amazing how much better a pen looks when your starters are going 6 innings 5 at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Because of Soto and Judge geez.
  • Chisholm has a .966 OPS w/ the Yankees.
  • Stanton has a .801 OPS, his highest since 2021.
  • Wells has a .815 OPS since the All-Star break.
download.jpg

Reaction Score
  • Chisholm has a .966 OPS w/ the Yankees.
  • Stanton has a .801 OPS, his highest since 2021.
  • Wells has a .815 OPS since the All-Star break.
View attachment 103133
Right which is why Wells should be the starting catcher and it's obviously key for Stanton and Jazz to be healthy, like I said all the pieces need to be glued together. Your right Cashman is perfect.

Reaction Score
Do u think Flaherty is the difference between a playoff spot and a WS Title? I don’t think there was anybody (outside of Skubal) who might’ve been the difference before the deadline. I agree with a lot of what u said, I’m not sure it would’ve been worth the cost.
Maybe, maybe not Flaherty isn't an ace but he sure as hell is a solid 3 he would've bolstered the rotation and strengthened the pen for the playoffs.

Dodgers dealt Trey Sweeney and their 8th ranked prospect, Cashman let it be known he wasn't gonna deal a top 10 prospect that's just not negotiating in good faith. Cashman tries to win a trade add all cost even if it's a trade that could win him a World Series, it feels he cares more about winning a trade then winning a World Series. I give him a ton of credit for the Jazz trade you don't get that lucky on those trades too often.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not Flaherty isn't an ace but he sure as hell is a solid 3 he would've bolstered the rotation and strengthened the pen for the playoffs.

Dodgers dealt Trey Sweeney and their 8th ranked prospect, Cashman let it be known he wasn't gonna deal a top 10 prospect that's just not negotiating in good faith. Cashman tries to win a trade add all cost even if it's a trade that could win him a World Series, it feels he cares more about winning a trade then winning a World Series. I give him a ton of credit for the Jazz trade you don't get that lucky on those trades too often.
The pen is his major trade deadline flop.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
DJ is cooked.
So i suggested Cabrera. Any thoughts? He is versatile and has played a little 1st. I trust him more than DJ and probably Rizzo who undoubtedly will be given 1st when he returns.

Reaction Score
Another wasted opportunity to create distance with Baltimore. No sweep in Chi no sweep vs Colo, lose 2 of 3 to the tigers, lose 2 of 3 to the Nats, all while Balt is facing a tough part of the schedule and remain a game or so out. Doesn’t bode well for the Yankees. Win the div by a game, it won’t matter…but these losses hurt. Should have 3-4 game lead going into the Cardinals series.

Reaction Score
Another wasted opportunity to create distance with Baltimore. No sweep in Chi no sweep vs Colo, lose 2 of 3 to the tigers, lose 2 of 3 to the Nats, all while Balt is facing a tough part of the schedule and remain a game or so out. Doesn’t bode well for the Yankees. Win the div by a game, it won’t matter…but these losses hurt. Should have 3-4 game lead going into the Cardinals series.
Throwing games has become a Cashman-Boone specialty. Finally start Wells over Trevino and what do you know he hits 2 hrs in a game Judge goes 0-4 with 3 ks. I like Trevino but he should not be playing over Wells.

Adam Warren is starting again, games in September get treated like spring training games.

Reaction Score
So i suggested Cabrera. Any thoughts? He is versatile and has played a little 1st. I trust him more than DJ and probably Rizzo who undoubtedly will be given 1st when he returns.
Definitely

Reaction Score
Throwing games has become a Cashman-Boone specialty. Finally start Wells over Trevino and what do you know he hits 2 hrs in a game Judge goes 0-4 with 3 ks. I like Trevino but he should not be playing over Wells.

Adam Warren is starting again, games in September get treated like spring training games.
Wells has come on of late. I was confused why they couldn’t hold on to Higashioka in the King deal, I thought rushing Wells might be unnecessary. Contract details aside, Higgy is producing with SD in the ideal part time role. Although he’s gotten more AB bc of injuries this yr.

Win the division. I’ll always take a deciding game at the Stadium rather on the road regardless of how they are playing there that particular season.

Reaction Score
I see the path similar to Bernie back in the early n mid 90s…it took him a minute to really see if he could be that player. A switching hitting lethal bat and a great CF. That’s a high bar for Cabrera and I’m not suggesting he’s gonna be Bernie but I think he’s shown some signs of maybe becoming an everyday productive player in the lineup.

Reaction Score
I don't typically follow the players when they're in the minors, outside of the top guys. Was Wells a highly regarded prospect? Is the hitting we're seeing lately what folks always expected from him or are we seeing him playing above his level?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom