The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New York Yankees Thread

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Gil should be in the rotation, for this year though he should be in the pen.
This has me baffled.

For more than a decade and a half (it was fully illustrated when we brought up Hughes and Chamberlain) the Yankees have been stricter on innings limits than many other franchises yet somehow this went out the window with Gil this season.

By mid July they should have implemented a plan (similar to the Joba rules) where they shut him down, then worked him to adjust to an inning at a time, he'd be in position now to close most games. Now we need to hope that somehow we can salvage the absolute train wreck that our bullpen has become.

Reaction Score
Gil looked like the pitcher we saw for the first half of the season. Let's hope this version sticks around. He and Cole would give the Yanks a pretty impressive one-two punch.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Up 2 games in the division on Sept 13, take that every year. Need some help from the Tigers this weekend.
You'd better be at least two games up for series vs. Pirates because you're seeing Skenes one of those games. And since it's his last start, unlikely to be an innings limit.

Reaction Score
You'd better be at least two games up for series vs. Pirates because you're seeing Skenes one of those games. And since it's his last start, unlikely to be an innings limit.
If the Yankees are up 2 games going into the Pirates series, get swept and lose the division…they don’t deserve to win it. Skenes is nice and great for baseball. Livvy’s not bad either.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If the Yankees have to worry about the Pirates they may as well give up now.

The immediate goal should be to add one game to the lead before the Baltimore series. Then if they take two of three, they'll have clinched before the Pirate series, if they take one if three, they'll oy need to win two against the Pirates.

Reaction Score
Nice come-from-behind win. Nice time for Judge to get his home run grove back. Let's hope this gets him going through the playoffs.

I was also thinking about how electric the Stadium looked and hoping being part of that atmosphere helps sway Soto into re-signing. I know that's naive, but a fan can hope.

Reaction Score
This postseason should say a lot about whether or not the Yankees can win with the core of this team, currently. To resign Soto will take a lot and idk if Judge/Soto will be enough. Jazz Volpe Wells Gleyber are all the wildcards that’ll determine how far this team goes imo.

Reaction Score
Nice come-from-behind win. Nice time for Judge to get his home run grove back. Let's hope this gets him going through the playoffs.

I was also thinking about how electric the Stadium looked and hoping being part of that atmosphere helps sway Soto into re-signing. I know that's naive, but a fan can hope.
I guess Jazz remarked to Boone how fun and crazy it was after the Judge GS. Good stuff

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
His last start? I may need him one more time!!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Gerrit Cole today: 22 batters faced. 2 KS.

I guess he just didn't have it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not too worried about the (inevitable) loss today as my hope was taking three games this series and that is still in play.

If Cole can't be an ace this postseason we will have difficulty moving through the playoffs.

Right now the goal should be to match Baltimore's result in all games outside of our series with them. Then we'll only need to beat them once (although twice or a sweep would be beautiful).

Reaction Score
To not have it is one thing but to intentionally walk Devers as the leadoff guy with no one on Cole got what he deserved.

Reaction Score
To not have it is one thing but to intentionally walk Devers as the leadoff guy with no one on Cole got what he deserved.
That’s Boone he’s a moron. Cole wouldn’t walk anyone without being told what to do, such a BS thought even with Devers owning him. This isn’t Judge or Ohtani for kripes sake!

Reaction Score
I'm glad the Yankees are giving themselves a bit of breathing room as I'm going to the game this Sunday in Oakland against the A's and I don't have a great track record of bringing my team good luck. Joking aside, I'm a bit bummed that this will likely be my last chance to see the Yankees regularly as the A's are scheduled to leave Oakland at the end of the season. Their plan is to play the next couple of seasons at a minor league park in Sacramento until their new Las Vegas stadium can be built. Sacramento is around two hours away from me, so I suppose I could make the trek, but Sacramento gets so hot during the summer that I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort. I've been in California for around twenty years and have gone to at least one Yankee game in Oakland for most of those years. I guess all good things come to an end.

Reaction Score
I'm glad the Yankees are giving themselves a bit of breathing room as I'm going to the game this Sunday in Oakland against the A's and I don't have a great track record of bringing my team good luck. Joking aside, I'm a bit bummed that this will likely be my last chance to see the Yankees regularly as the A's are scheduled to leave Oakland at the end of the season. Their plan is to play the next couple of seasons at a minor league park in Sacramento until their new Las Vegas stadium can be built. Sacramento is around two hours away from me, so I suppose I could make the trek, but Sacramento gets so hot during the summer that I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort. I've been in California for around twenty years and have gone to at least one Yankee game in Oakland for most of those years. I guess all good things come to an end.
Baseball will miss the Coliseum. Those type of character filled parks stadiums today don’t have that. The unique foul territory alone.

I agree, as a lifelong Yankee fan, there’s a lot of good baseball played there and with some really good teams.

Reaction Score
Baseball will miss the Coliseum. Those type of character filled parks stadiums today don’t have that. The unique foul territory alone.

I agree, as a lifelong Yankee fan, there’s a lot of good baseball played there and with some really good teams.
I was there for this gem during the magical '98 season. It was insane with Yankee fans running up and down the aisles high-fiving each other.

Reaction Score
Up 5 in the division with 10 to go…clinch the division and they’ve accomplished all they could have up until this point. I think they have good chemistry, we’ll see if they can put it all together and win a WS.

Reaction Score
Putting it all together, the close wins mean more to me than the blowout wins, those are the games you will have to win in October. We'll see what happens, Volpe needs to step up when he's on base you might as well put him on 2nd even 3rd sometimes.

Reaction Score
A great day at the ballpark. Yankees won and I got to see Aaron Judge hit one out. When Boone pulled the relief pitcher after he had pitched a clean inning on five pitches, to bring in Holmes, I thought my streak of bad luck would continue.
IMG_20240922_123239575_HDR.jpg

Reaction Score
Gleyber was awful at the start of the year, but check out his numbers since August 2nd:

.311 batting average, .800 OPS, 5 HR, 21 RBI, 22 BB, 29 R in 46 games.

It's almost like we got rid of the old Gleyber and acquired the current Gleyber at the trade deadline.

Also, uh no.

At least Schmidt has pitched fine since returning from injury.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looks like this weekend you're gonna face Jared Jones, Skenes, and either a bullpen game or debut of Bucs' top pitching prospect Bubba Chandler.

Reaction Score
A sweep by Baltimore and here we go. Pittsburgh will be playing like it’s the WS. I still believe they’ll win the division but it could make for some pressure on them until they clinch. I think it’s starting to build up after the first 2 games of this Baltimore series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom