The Official 2019 Mets Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official 2019 Mets Thread

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
2nd base is the position at where players fade fastest. throw in a ped suspension, moving from al to nl, a known dog and all players hitting a power fade in queens and that’s the worst contract in the game. they still owe him a $100 million.

it’s worse than the archer trade. which is impossibly bad.

Mets are only on the hook for $60. Still a bad trade but not as bad as it would be if we were paying him $20 mil a year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So as cover for the failings of pitching guru Callaway and agent-turned-gm Van Wagenen, the Mets have fired pitching coach Dave Eiland and bullpen coach Chuck Hernandez.

I get that our pitching staff and bullpen have been atrocious, but to my eyes it's been Callaway who misused them and Van Wagenen who failed to get enough quality pieces--especially for the pen. Familia never should have been brought back.

Reaction Score
I actually don't think Brodie has been all that bad. The Familia deal looks awful now but he was always a really solid pitcher before this so hard to fault him on that. I blame the Wilpons more than anyone for not letting Brodie go all in on competing and instead leaving this half-assed attempt out there

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I actually don't think Brodie has been all that bad. The Familia deal looks awful now but he was always a really solid pitcher before this so hard to fault him on that. I blame the Wilpons more than anyone for not letting Brodie go all in on competing and instead leaving this half-assed attempt out there
I think Brodie had a lot more to work with than most Mets GMs in the past. The Cano deal was tolerable primarily because of Diaz and because the net hit to the Mets wasn't that bad, but I don't know what the hell happened to Diaz.

Aside from Lugo, the rest of the pen has been atrocious. I am obviously happy that they reached a nice deal with deGrom and I think that will pan out. Wheeler has been steady as she goes and I am guessing he will be one of the first pieces dealt when we start our fire sale, likely after this road trip ends and we are 10+ games out, but I would rather keep him. As I have said for a while now, I wouldn't miss Syndergaard because I don't have faith in him long term, but we won't get max value for him if injury concerns remain. I don't have a strong feeling about Matz one way or another.

Alonso, McNeil and deGrom are probably the only guys I would consider untouchable. I would entertain offers for anyone else.

Reaction Score
I think Brodie had a lot more to work with than most Mets GMs in the past. The Cano deal was tolerable primarily because of Diaz and because the net hit to the Mets wasn't that bad, but I don't know what the hell happened to Diaz.

Aside from Lugo, the rest of the pen has been atrocious. I am obviously happy that they reached a nice deal with deGrom and I think that will pan out. Wheeler has been steady as she goes and I am guessing he will be one of the first pieces dealt when we start our fire sale, likely after this road trip ends and we are 10+ games out, but I would rather keep him. As I have said for a while now, I wouldn't miss Syndergaard because I don't have faith in him long term, but we won't get max value for him if injury concerns remain. I don't have a strong feeling about Matz one way or another.

Alonso, McNeil and deGrom are probably the only guys I would consider untouchable. I would entertain offers for anyone else.
I think I'm very much in the minority here but I would be moving deGrom asap. I think they should have done it last year

Reaction Score
You mean before or after he won the Cy Young?
Like I said, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion. But this team isn't winning anything while he's in his prime, he's the perfect piece to move to start the rebuild

Reaction Score
Yet another game blown by the bullpen. Of course it comes with a side of Mickey putting someone back out there for another inning when he didn't look sharp and letting him throw over 40 pitches. I'm also glad they said they would use Diaz for more than an inning but just don't do it. To bring back an old acronym from a Mets board, MIC (Mickey is clueless). On a similar note, i'm done hiring guys who haven't managed before and spent most of their time in the AL (looking at you Wiliie and Mickey).

Reaction Score
Like I said, I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion. But this team isn't winning anything while he's in his prime, he's the perfect piece to move to start the rebuild

Disagree. I keep the known over the bucket of prospects here. He's locked up through his prime regardless of what the rest of the team looks like and I'll start him every 5th day over hoping some kid in AA pans out in 2023.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Does Callaway survive this week? I say no. I think he is fired by Friday.

Reaction Score
Does Callaway survive this week? I say no. I think he is fired by Friday.

Hard to imagine. The only way he survives is reeling off one of those huge 12-2 stretches that get them back in the hunt and the team shows guts. Otherwise, the next bad loss with a horrible decision that happens and he's fired.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hard to imagine. The only way he survives is reeling off one of those huge 12-2 stretches that get them back in the hunt and the team shows guts. Otherwise, the next bad loss with a horrible decision that happens and he's fired.
With the Phillies also reeling I think this series is make-or-break for both Callaway and Kapler. They could both be gone by the end of the week. Tough to be catching Philly on the heels of a seven-game skid, but one of these teams needs to step up in this series. Which means that they will probably split...

Reaction Score
I've said that with the last 10 horrible decisions. He must have dirt on someone in the front office

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've said that with the last 10 horrible decisions. He must have dirt on someone in the front office
Yeah, the front office was making the decisions!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can we talk about Jeff McNeil?
The squirrel has been the surprise highlight of the season for me.

But it saddens me more by the day to see efforts like his and Alonso’s be for naught.

Kapler may have saved his job this week but let’s hope Callaway sealed his fate. He’s got the anti-Midas touch at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there's a stat out there, but just by sight, have the Mets hit an abnormal amount of opposite field HR's this year? Seems Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Rosario and Ramos all have really good oppo power.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I keep checking for news that Callaway and Van Wegenen have been fired because I can't believe they haven't been yet. Really astounding.

Reaction Score
I keep checking for news that Callaway and Van Wegenen have been fired because I can't believe they haven't been yet. Really astounding.

I don't think BVW should go. At all. I think that, on paper, I agree with his moves. He was aggressive to address their needs. Cano got hurt. Lowrie has a mystery injury that has cost him half a season. And, inexplicably, Diaz now sucks. The Mariners were 66-0 when he pitched the ninth last year and he can't get a single save in a big spot suddenly.

Callaway? I have no answer for that one.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Im thinking the only reason Callaway wasnt fired after the roadtrip was not to detract from this weekend's celebration of the 1969 World Champions. He should be gone by Monday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think BVW should go. At all. I think that, on paper, I agree with his moves. He was aggressive to address their needs. Cano got hurt. Lowrie has a mystery injury that has cost him half a season. And, inexplicably, Diaz now sucks. The Mariners were 66-0 when he pitched the ninth last year and he can't get a single save in a big spot suddenly.

Callaway? I have no answer for that one.
That's fair and yeah I agreed with BVW's moves on paper, too. But we're not paid to do this for a living and the team is a laughingstock; especially the bullpen, which is making history in a bad way every day. It's a business and heads should roll for these results. Maybe BVW gets a stay of execution but there is a stink on this team and they need to change the culture before great young talents like Alonso, McNeil and Smith get infected.

Reaction Score
Callaway is the easy scapegoat. Managers usually get fired, not the GM. But you can only manage the players you have.
The Mets have no reliable CF that can hit or hit with power. They have no relief pitching.
They have no minor league reliable pitching (except for Kay) or outfielders.
BVW gave up their number 1 minor league pitcher and last year’s number 1 draft choice for Diaz and Old Man Cano.
Both of the young guys they traded have been invited to the Futures game. Oh well trade your future for an old great player and a guy that can’t handle the New York pressure.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Happy Bobby Bonilla day.

Reaction Score
I gotta say. With the walls crumbling around the team, I liked seeing BVW sitting out with the 7 Line Army last night. I wanna have this Theo Epstein nonstandard GM feel about him. Why can’t they play better?!?!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom