The Official 2019 Mets Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2019 Mets Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He was just a few days early with that prediction.
And a better quality team to sweep; not to mention our current injury-depleted lineup (no Conforto, McNeil, Nimmo, for starters).

Now we have to take care of business against the Tigers before heading out to face the Dodgers.

Reaction Score
Read this today. Hard to argue with the decisions here, especially when the Mets have had decent luck with their replacements.

Matt Harvey, Angels
Harvey, who signed a one-year, $11 million deal with the Angels this offseason after the Mets traded him to the Reds last season, has simply been unable to find any consistency on the mound and currently sports a 7.50 ERA.

The right-hander landed on the injured list with upper back tightness Saturday following his worst start of the season Thursday, in which he gave up eight earned runs (four homers) on seven hits in 2 2/3 innings.

Over 48 total innings this year, Harvey has yielded 11 homers and struck out just 35 batters.

Jay Bruce, Mariners
Bruce, who the Mets traded to Seattle as part of the Diaz/Cano trade, still cannot get off the Interstate, as his average remained under .200 entering Sunday (.193).

Bruce got off to a big start in the power department, but only five of the 32-year-old's 12 homers have come since April 25. Overall, Bruce has a .748 OPS this season.

Wilmer Flores, Diamondbacks
Flores had rounded in to form a bit and was hitting .281/.321/.398 with two homers in 41 games (128 at-bats) this season. However, a right foot fracture landed him on the 10-day injured list. He likely won't begin playing again until late June.

Travis d'Arnaud, Rays
After being cut loose by the Mets, d'Arnaud was picked up by the Dodgers and almost immediately shipped to the Rays, where he's essentially in a platoon behind the plate. Over 29 at-bats, he has three hits and 11 strikeouts.

Kevin Plawecki, Indians
Plawecki, who the Mets traded to the Indians earlier this offseason for Walter Lockett and Sam Haggerty, has played sparingly as the Tribe's backup catcher. Overall he is hitting .151/.250/.302 with one homer 21 games (53 at-bats).

Asdrubal Cabrera, Rangers
Cabrera, who the Mets traded to the Phillies last season after nearly three seasons in New York, started off strong as Texas' everyday third baseman. He clubbed six homers in April but only has three in May, including two in one game on May 20 against the Mariners. Cabrera is hitting .221/.293/.443.

Curtis Granderson, Marlins
Granderson is playing most days for the Marlins and often occupies the leadoff spot. He hasn't done much offensively, though, evidenced by his .190 average and .684 OPS with six homers.

Reaction Score
Read this today. Hard to argue with the decisions here, especially when the Mets have had decent luck with their replacements.

Matt Harvey, Angels
Harvey, who signed a one-year, $11 million deal with the Angels this offseason after the Mets traded him to the Reds last season, has simply been unable to find any consistency on the mound and currently sports a 7.50 ERA.

The right-hander landed on the injured list with upper back tightness Saturday following his worst start of the season Thursday, in which he gave up eight earned runs (four homers) on seven hits in 2 2/3 innings.

Over 48 total innings this year, Harvey has yielded 11 homers and struck out just 35 batters.

Jay Bruce, Mariners
Bruce, who the Mets traded to Seattle as part of the Diaz/Cano trade, still cannot get off the Interstate, as his average remained under .200 entering Sunday (.193).

Bruce got off to a big start in the power department, but only five of the 32-year-old's 12 homers have come since April 25. Overall, Bruce has a .748 OPS this season.

Wilmer Flores, Diamondbacks
Flores had rounded in to form a bit and was hitting .281/.321/.398 with two homers in 41 games (128 at-bats) this season. However, a right foot fracture landed him on the 10-day injured list. He likely won't begin playing again until late June.

Travis d'Arnaud, Rays
After being cut loose by the Mets, d'Arnaud was picked up by the Dodgers and almost immediately shipped to the Rays, where he's essentially in a platoon behind the plate. Over 29 at-bats, he has three hits and 11 strikeouts.

Kevin Plawecki, Indians
Plawecki, who the Mets traded to the Indians earlier this offseason for Walter Lockett and Sam Haggerty, has played sparingly as the Tribe's backup catcher. Overall he is hitting .151/.250/.302 with one homer 21 games (53 at-bats).

Asdrubal Cabrera, Rangers
Cabrera, who the Mets traded to the Phillies last season after nearly three seasons in New York, started off strong as Texas' everyday third baseman. He clubbed six homers in April but only has three in May, including two in one game on May 20 against the Mariners. Cabrera is hitting .221/.293/.443.

Curtis Granderson, Marlins
Granderson is playing most days for the Marlins and often occupies the leadoff spot. He hasn't done much offensively, though, evidenced by his .190 average and .684 OPS with six homers.

Thanks for this update! Not often that we Mets fans get to do this:
2DD18103-082B-49DD-9A04-9EA03E350675.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Familia is rubbing off on Diaz. Not good. Tough loss.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Mets going all In was short sighted.

Now they need to be ready to send out anything not nailed down.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think Calloway needs to be fired.

He was lauded as a pitching guru. Francona gave him tons of praise for the Indians staff success. He has really failed miserably with the Mets staff his entire reign. I don't know that he deserves any credit for deGrom's year last year, but other than that, the starters and pen have been a tire fire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He was lauded as a pitching guru. Francona gave him tons of praise for the Indians staff success. He has really failed miserably with the Mets staff his entire reign. I don't know that he deserves any credit for deGrom's year last year, but other than that, the starters and pen have been a tire fire.
Well at least he apologized for last night, but this is getting ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Well at least he apologized for last night, but this is getting ridiculous.

The splits for Gselman are clear as day that he’s worse with overwork. Just keep trotting him out there. Jesus.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm trying to stay interested. Trying to watch the games and have some hope.

And they just keep ripping my heart out and stomping on it.

Brutal.
After last night, I was curious to remember at what point I gave up hope last season. The post above was June 12th.

At this point the only thing keeping me interested is the fact that the NL East is so weak that we are still "only" 5.5 games out of first. But we can't keep giving up series to teams we should be sweeping.

Am I correct that we haven't played Atlanta once yet? How the hell did that happen?

I'm a bit worried about how much the players appear to back Callaway; things could get worse if they fire him and bring in someone like Wally Backman who will try to ride them instead of kissing their assses.

Perhaps they can turn it around and it will be a nice story because the team had Callaway's back, but I agree with you @Deepster that the most mystifying thing about Callaway is that we was supposed to have pitching prowess in particular, whereas it seems to be the thing he is worst at here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After last night, I was curious to remember at what point I gave up hope last season. The post above was June 12th.

At this point the only thing keeping me interested is the fact that the NL East is so weak that we are still "only" 5.5 games out of first. But we can't keep giving up series to teams we should be sweeping.

Am I correct that we haven't played Atlanta once yet? How the hell did that happen?

I'm a bit worried about how much the players appear to back Calloway; things could get worse if they fire him and bring in someone like Wally Backman who will try to ride them instead of kissing their assses.

Perhaps they can turn it around and it will be a nice story because the team had Calloway's back, but I agree with you @Deepster that the most mystifying thing about Calloway is that we was supposed to have pitching prowess in particular, whereas it seems to be the thing he is worst at here.
They played at Atlanta early in the year, 4 game series and believe they split after winning the first 2.

I think Callaway is running on fumes at this point and it's a matter of time until he's gone. But it'll be Jim Riggleman as interim manager and nothing will change

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They played at Atlanta early in the year, 4 game series and believe they split after winning the first 2.
Thanks. I spaced that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yet again I am done with this team by mid-June. Such a waste of some great young talent. Callaway has mismanaged the bullpen to a fare thee well and needs to be fired. Familia should never pitch here again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whelp, the upcoming series at Atlanta should be the nail in the coffin on this season. Hopefully on Callaway, too.

Start selling the older guys; this season is toast.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think Callaway needs to be fired.

the guy who brought in cano should be drawn and quartered...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the guy who brought in cano should be drawn and quartered...
Not a great move, and now that Diaz looks like Familia and Familia looks like Benitez, the whole transaction looks like a tire fire. But Cano is not near the top of our problems. We have plenty of great young talent to play the field. Somehow the guy who was deemed an ace pitching staff manager has turned the best staff in baseball into one of the worst. He needs to go. Now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not a great move, and now that Diaz looks like Familia and Familia looks like Benitez, the whole transaction looks like a tire fire. But Cano is not near the top of our problems. We have plenty of great young talent to play the field. Somehow the guy who was deemed an ace pitching staff manager has turned the best staff in baseball into one of the worst. He needs to go. Now.

2nd base is the position at where players fade fastest. throw in a ped suspension, moving from al to nl, a known dog and all players hitting a power fade in queens and that’s the worst contract in the game. they still owe him a $100 million.

it’s worse than the archer trade. which is impossibly bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2nd base is the position at where players fade fastest. throw in a ped suspension, moving from al to nl, a known dog and all players hitting a power fade in queens and that’s the worst contract in the game. they still owe him a $100 million.

You are talking about a franchise that is still paying Bobby Bonilla.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are talking about a franchise that is still paying Bobby Bonilla.

bobby bo was in our slow pitch softball flight in stamford some years back. he hit a ball on top of the bathrooms which from first base i judged to be 650 feet away.

i much preferred willie upshaw living in our neighborhood when he was managing the bluefish. he somehow had two distinct streams in his front yard.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It's always good to hear a non-Pittsburgh perspective on this.

You have no idea what it feels like to see Cole, Morton and Glasnow among top AL pitchers (whatever happened to the old "NL pitchers get worse in AL" meme, anyway?)

Can't wait for Shane Baz to win the CY in 2026, just to rub it in some more.

Only good that came out of this is that Meadows leaving opened up LF for Bryan Reynolds. At least the Cutch to SF deal worked out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom