The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Man, Dooly...three bullpen aces for a bunch a guys with maybe 115 games of MLB experience? And that is all Profar. Yeesh.

#firecashman needs to acquire Schwarber and/or Joe Ross at least.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Man, Dooly...three bullpen aces for a bunch a guys with maybe 115 games of MLB experience? And that is all Profar. Yeesh.

#firecashman needs to acquire Schwarber and/or Joe Ross at least.

Well, if the 2016 NY Yankees are an indication of anything, it is that MLB experience means absolutely nothing when constructing a club for a regular season. In fact, look at some of the teams who are finding success these years - the Mets have a loaded and young rotation, the Cubs have a loaded and young lineup, the Giants are always good to infuse youth, ditto the Cardinals and Pirates and Rangers, and, I hate to say it, the Red Sox have a loaded system that is paying off for them big time right now.

The Yankees tried to field a competitive team the last few years - it didn't work. It's time to blow it up and get ready for Bryce Harper, Jose Fernandez, Jake Arrieta, Manny Machado, etc a few years from now. By then, the Yankees will have over $100M of salary obligation freed and, hopefully, hit on a couple of young stars to pair up with a few members of the All-Star 2018 free agency class.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So the Marlins are talking internally about Chapman and Fernando Rodney. It's VERY difficult to come up with any potential trade with the Marlins for Chapman. Their system is garbage. Their #1 prospect (Tyler Kolek, SP) has struggled mightily in low minors and is now out for 1 year with Tommy John surgery. And, no, the Marlins aren't moving Yelich or Ozuna for a partial year CP (but if they offer either, the Yankees should take it ASAP). Rodney seems to make more sense since he won't command nearly the haul that Chapman will on the trade market.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yanks have 29 runs scored over the last 9 games. Not too bad, right?

Well, 13 of the runs came in three 9th innings. Of all the other innings they scored more than one run twice!!!

Now Aaron Judge is getting a lot of buzz. His minor league batting average is always mediocre but the power is there and as we know...the Yankees dig the long ball.

I look forward to next season with Greg Bird and Aaron Judge. The start of the rebuild.

Reaction Score
Yanks have 29 runs scored over the last 9 games. Not too bad, right?

Well, 13 of the runs came in three 9th innings. Of all the other innings they scored more than one run twice!!!

Now Aaron Judge is getting a lot of buzz. His minor league batting average is always mediocre but the power is there and as we know...the Yankees dig the long ball.

I look forward to next season with Greg Bird and Aaron Judge. The start of the rebuild.

Good post Dove.

Bring Judge up now and let him learn the 2nd half of the season to be ready for next year and beyond. This team is a joke offensively and he can't hurt at all. Start trading the people who others perceive worthwhile and begin with Gardner.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I, too, am perplexed why we haven't seen Judge yet. The offense is hot garbage. ARod is on the bench and that means the DH spot is opened up, to some extent. Beltran is a perfect DH candidate given his age and recent injury struggles (aside: I'm afraid if they wait any longer to trade Beltran, they will lose any opportunity to get a decent return). Plug Judge into RF and give him the 2nd half of the season to face MLB pitchers. He will struggle, no doubt. But that will be phase 1 of the adjustments game that every ballplayer goes through. He'll go into the offseason knowing what to work on.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So I'm reading a lot of contradictory rumors out there. One says the Yankees have assured Andrew Miller that he will not be traded. Another says that the Yankees are likely going to trade Miller to the Cubs for Jorge Soler. If the latter is true, I sure hope the Yankees will also get rid of Gardner or Ellsbury too. Acquiring Soler is a decent move (I personally think Miller could fetch more) but only if the Yankees are able to free up their OF positions. They would still have Gardner, Ellsbury, and Hicks under contract. Beltran for the remainder of the year and Aaron Judge still heating up at AAA. They could shift Beltran to permanent DH until they trade him so they could plug in Soler in RF. But that would mean Judge is further cemented at AAA this season when he should be getting some trial MLB ABs this year, in a lost season.

If it came down to it, I wouldn't have a problem with the Yankees sending both Chapman and Miller to the Cubs for a larger haul. Something along the lines of...

Cubs get:
A Chapman
A Miller

Yankees get:
J Soler
G Torres
E Jimenez
I Happ

In this scenario, they could lock up Betances as their CP for the long-term future. The team could move Beltran to DH in the short term (while working on trading him) so Soler can play RF. Torres is a long-term SS play but the Cubs #1 prospect with huge upside. Jimenez is a power OF prospect that projects as a corner OF to compliment Soler and Judge (and hope that Rutherford can fast track to play CF). Happ is absolutely demolishing minor league pitching at every level (up to AA now, I believe) and while his bat plays more than his glove, he can man 2B in 1-2 years.

The problem with all of this, of course, is what to do with Ellsbury and Gardner. You could conceivably keep one to play CF while Rutherford develops...but not both. It will likely be easier to move Gardner's contract than Ellsbury's. Perhaps an offensive starved team like Cleveland or the Mets would deal from a position of strength if the Yanks packaged up Gardner with someone like, say, Beltran? If Cleveland were to offer a package that contained Brady Aiken, or the Mets offered a package that contained Zach Wheeler, that would be tough to pass up for the Yankees.

I think we can all agree that the longer the Yankees wait and continue to play the "we're not out of it" BS rhetorical games, the more risk they assume that their best trade chips will be injured and they will get nothing. This team is old, slow, expensive and bad. It is in long overdue need of a youth injection.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm throwing up in my mouth. Empineda sucks again. As does the offense v. a knuckleballer.

Sox up 5-0

And Judge is hurt.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
18 innings. Yanks score single runs in 2 of them. 3 runs in another.

No need for Andrew Miller or Betances. Chapman got an inning due to collecting some dust over the AS break.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The longer the Yankees wait to sell some of their assets, the more risk they run of those assets getting hurt and netting a better haul in return. There is absolutely no question that Chapman and Beltran should have been traded by now. And the more this team sinks into oblivion, Miller, McCann, Ellsbury, Gardner, Pineda, CC, and anyone else over the age of 30 should be on the move too. It's absolutely mind boggling and incredibly frustrating to hear that ownership is still not decided on selling and getting younger.

The Cubs, Red Sox, Pirates, Giants, Cardinals, Rangers, Astros, Mets, and Royals. What do they all have in common? They are all good, will be good for many seasons, and all commit to building up their farm system to promote from within in many key areas.

The Padres, Dodgers, White Sox, Diamondbacks, Tigers, Yankees, Blue Jays, and Angels. What do they all have in common? They have all made significant trades and free agent signings in the past few years to add payroll and make a run at a World Series (while depleting their farm systems, in many cases) only to miss the playoffs altogether or be an early exit.

Moreso than "Moneyball" and infield shifts, the economics of baseball and roster building has changed. The teams who are anchored down by long-term, massive contracts handed out to aging veterans have a far less chance of getting to a World Series than the teams who have a rich, developed farm system.

The Yankees are sitting on a gold mine of luxury that a bad baseball team DOES NOT NEED: an elite bullpen. They are also getting a gift from the baseball heavens that Carlos Beltran is 1) healthy and 2) producing. The Yankees have a very real chance of adding 5-6 key prospect pieces here and yet ownership is foolishly talking contract extensions and making buying moves. Absolutely incredible that this level of mismanagement exists when the blueprint is so easy and clear to follow.

Reaction Score
This team is a complete joke. And Girardi on the radio last week sounded like he needed to have his head examined. I mean you really think ARod and Tex are gong to "break out"?? Are you shi**ing me Joe? You go for the All Star break to Candlewood Lake to get away and come back thinking this is how you're going to win more games, a .218 hitter and a .186 hitter who have no chance to break out again ever unless they find that secret potion that so many others seem to have found, but obviously our guys haven't.

And can we try to get Gregorious to #2 at least to get him more AB's since he's your best hitter? I'm with Dooley let's make some moves get some baseball players please.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yanks finally beat the Sox. But it should be known...8 innings and they score in one of them.

Dooley

Reaction Score
This team is a complete joke. And Girardi on the radio last week sounded like he needed to have his head examined. I mean you really think ARod and Tex are gong to "break out"?? Are you shi**ing me Joe? You go for the All Star break to Candlewood Lake to get away and come back thinking this is how you're going to win more games, a .218 hitter and a .186 hitter who have no chance to break out again ever unless they find that secret potion that so many others seem to have found, but obviously our guys haven't.

And can we try to get Gregorious to #2 at least to get him more AB's since he's your best hitter? I'm with Dooley let's make some moves get some baseball players please.

Totally agree. Aside from the back end of the bullpen, Didi has been the Yankees best or 2nd best (behind Beltran) player all year. Give him a few weeks of upper third lineup spot to see what he can do. Why not? This season is toast.

In defense of Girardi, what else can he say? He can only work with what he has been given and what he has now is a roster full of old, aging (and absolutely awful) players. I can not wait for these horrendous contracts to expire but Girardi REALLY can't wait.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Don't know if any of you work from home like I do, but I have MLB Network on the tube whilst I work and MLB Central has a segment called "DeRo Demo". Mark DeRosa (who is actually really good) does these segments with what each team should do going forward to rebuild. He did the Yankees this morning in a filtered down segment...

1. McCann and Chapman to Texas for Joey Gallo and Jurickson Profar (Dooley note: sign me up 100%)
2. Miller to Chicago for Schwarber. He says Chicago's talk about him being untouchable is bogus...Schwarber needs the AL and the DH spot. Bryant is locked in at 3B, Rizzo at 1B, Contreras as C, and athletic OFs (Soler, Fowler, Almora, Heyward, etc)...no place for Schwarber to play. (Dooley note: sign me up 100%)
3. Beltran to Cleveland for prospects. (Dooley note: I sign off on any trade that can turn Carlos Beltran into prospects)
4. Stretch deal - Ellsbury (and cash) to Seattle for James Paxton. (Dooley note: sign me up 100%)

Dooley

Reaction Score
One thing to keep an eye on: the Nats called up Reynaldo Lopez for a start tomorrow night. You can probably bet your bottom dollar that the Yankees will have a few scouts on hand. This is a potential showcase game of Lopez and if he fires a gem (he will be firing in the upper 90s, touching 100), then perhaps it will lead to a fireballer for fireballer deal. The Yankees could do MUCH worse than having Lopez headline a prospect package in return for Chapman.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So the Yanks got on a roll. And the Cubs improved their bullpen thanks to the Mariners. I think Cash lost Schwarber while watching the Yanks take 3 of 4 from the Os. Maybe he is shopping Blake Rutherford for Prince Fielder now.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Seriously. What in the hot holy hell is ownership waiting for??? Vogelbach for Montgomery? Espinoza for Pomeranz? C'mon Cash (and Lil Steinbrenner). We have seen two pretty drastic overpays here for arms that are nowhere near as valuable as Chapman and Miller. It's absolutely a seller's market. No starting pitching available so teams should lock up the pen.

Chapman to Nats for Reynaldo Lopez and Erick Feede.

Miller and Pineda to Texas for Profar and Gallo.

Beltran to Cleveland for Justice Sheffield.

Eovaldi/CC/McCann/Ellsbury/Gardner to whoever for whatever they offer.

Release ARod after the year and eat the money. Let Tex walk.

Start the friggin' rebuild this year so that they're ready to contend in 2018-19 free agency class.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How about deal with the 'stos. Send a bullpen guy they want for:

Joe Musgrove and AJ Reed?

Dooley

Reaction Score
How about deal with the 'stos. Send a bullpen guy they want for:

Joe Musgrove and AJ Reed?

Houston has a rich system. Food for thought: I would both Chapman and Miller (and throw in McCann...they need a C) for a package that included Bregman. Now that they signed Gurriel, I'm interested to see if Bregman has become available.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I highly doubt it. Kids in LF now (yeah, I've been ogling).

Have you read anything recent on Greg Bird's recovery?

Dooley

Reaction Score
I doubt it too. Was just biting off more than we can chew right now. Only way Bregman gets moved, if at all, is for a SP like Sale.

Bird is progressing as scheduled. Will likely be ready for 2017 Opener. I am very excited to turn the page from the Texeira era...but am worried what kind of production (and health) we can expect from Bird. I like your AJ Reed idea. Trading Reed would certainly free up room for both Gurriel and Bregman to get to Houston with a spot to play (definitely an upgrade over Valbuena and Gonzalez).

Reaction Score
Alright enough's enough. I feel like popeye - "I can't stands no more"

If Cashman, Girardi and the senior braintrust watched today's debacle and think this team can win enough games to get into the playoffs then they now really do need their heads examined. I mean Girardi made an awful decision as a manager (yes again) in the 10th (?) with 1st and 2nd no outs, with Ellsbury coming up. Think about how awful this team hits and your best hitter, by the far best clutch hitter is on deck in Beltran. If you sacrifice successfully you have 1st wide open the bat is taken out of the one guys hand who can drive in a run. I get the DP chance but it is Ellsbury chances are he won't ground into one. What's he do? BUNTS what a dope and they walked Beltran and then the stiffs come up and they get zero - awful awful managers move.

Anyway trade'em all. Love the 7-8-9 guys man, they're unreal. But do what you have to do NOW, don't wait for this team to do anything like win 15 of 20 because they can't hit the ball they're plain awful.

Get some youth dammt, I can wait a couple years to get back in the race.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Twitter says Yanks will deal Chap. Then listen to Miller offers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom