OT: - The most stupid and pointless holiday ever | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The most stupid and pointless holiday ever

Reaction Score
There are lots of really dumb holidays out there, several invented to sell more stuff to heels like us. That said, my 5 year old daughter really wants to get Valentines things for mommy and she and I are spending the day tomorrow shopping for awesome goodies to celebrate what a great mommy she is. It will be some fun daddy/daughter time for us while mommy gets a break which is a present in and of itself. I'm willing to be a heel for a fun day with my little girl and for my fantastic wife who isn't necessarily a fan of UConn basketball but still watches the games with me and wishes Doron was still on the team. Sappy I know but whatever.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Getting married April 6th so my fiancé was like “we don’t have money to buy gifts right now and it’s too close to the wedding so no gifts we’ll just do dinner.”

Trap or nah?
Also, we’re taking advantage of the free basketball tickets for the 15th

If you’re making the right choice, that ain’t a trap!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sweetest Day is even worse. It's basically just another Valentine's Day, except it happens in October.

I get out of that one bc I told my girlfriend before we dated that I object to that horror show of a “holiday.”

Reaction Score
I remember when that holiday was a card and chocolates
Always buy the kind you like because it’s so romantic to share
How did it become a big ticket event
Didn’t old St Valentino get his head cut off. That always is an occasion for chocolate

Reaction Score
Getting married April 6th so my fiancé was like “we don’t have money to buy gifts right now and it’s too close to the wedding so no gifts we’ll just do dinner.”

Trap or nah?
sorry to hear youre getting married. I dont know why anyone especially a man under 40 would get married. Hopefully your divorce is amicable.

Reaction Score
I just spend the $4000 or whatever they're asking for at this point on 1800flowers.com and get a bouquet sent to her at work

Making her lady coworkers jelly is the real gift

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You guys need to think outside the box.

1. Get her a bottle of Geno's wine (yes, it exists and it's pretty good), a UConn women's basketball schedule, and a pair of tix for her and her bestie to go to the women's games. After she's hooked, she'll disappear for half the basketball season to watch the women and you'll have more free time. Works for my husband.
2. Or, give her a night out with her friends. They can go out and trash their significant others while you do the same with your buds. My husband and his friends go play pool.

Card is mandatory, though, something mushy. Sorry.

Reaction Score

1. Get her a bottle of Geno's wine (yes, it exists and it's pretty good), a UConn women's basketball schedule, and a pair of tix for her and her bestie to go to the women's games. After she's hooked, she'll disappear for half the basketball season to watch the women and you'll have more free time. Works for my husband.
2. Or, give her a night out with her friends. They can go out and trash their significant others while you do the same with your buds. My husband and his friends go play pool.

With the exception of Geno's wine, No. 1 works for me. In the early 1980's I started going to women's basketball games while a graduate student at UConn. About the same time I met my future wife at UConn. Through me she became familiar with UConn women's basketball, and eventually became even more fanatical about it than myself. It's worked out pretty well.

Reaction Score
Arbor Day is ten times worse than Valentines Day. What the duck did trees ever do to deserve their own Holiday? And I'm expected to go get a tree a gift? Exactly where do you shop for trees? I'm thinking this year I will get my special tree a nice chain saw from Home Depot.

Reaction Score
One of the benefits of marrying an uber-liberal California girl is that she hates fake holidays like this. I think we "celebrated" V-Day the first year we were dating, haven't done anything for it since then.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just spend the $4000 or whatever they're asking for at this point on 1800flowers.com and get a bouquet sent to her at work

Making her lady coworkers jelly is the real gift
Tell me more about this please.

What kinds of flowers are in a $4000 arrangement?

What kind of jelly do you make her coworkers?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tell me more about this please.

What kinds of flowers are in a $4000 arrangement?

What kind of jelly do you make her coworkers?

Obviously, we are dealing with a scion of the Smuckers family here.

These one-percenters throw around their money and their jellies without a care in the world.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The girlfriend and I will be heading to Present Company in Simsbury for dinner. I guess it's a new restaurant that's had great reviews.

Reaction Score

Trap or nah?
Happened to me once. Wife said let's not celebrate with gifts (forgot the reason) and just chill.

She never forgot that I didn't get her a gift (not even a card). The issue didn't creep up till the next Valentine's Day. Even worse she forgot saying it.

So from experience cover your arse, and pick up a card and a small gift. Don't make the mistake I made.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

When my parents offer their unused women’s tickets to us, my wife turns down the request before it even makes it to me.

That’s why I married her. :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I got some Def Lep/Journey tix to toss into a card for her. Was going to get them anyway may as well kill two birds.

@August_West keep us posted on showtimes for your new less dirty band but I actually have to go to Church tonight for mass and a meeting. Thoughts and Prayers for me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I got some Def Lep/Journey tix to toss into a card for her. Was going to get them anyway may as well kill two birds.

@August_West keep us posted on showtimes for your new less dirty band but I actually have to go to Church tonight for mass and a meeting. Thoughts and Prayers for me.
Have fun with Calluke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom