OT: - The most stupid and pointless holiday ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The most stupid and pointless holiday ever

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I also had the smooth move of proposing on Groundhog's Day. I figured I better align that event with a recurring day so I never forget when I popped the question. And for some reason, Mrs. Diesel likes bringing it up every year. So, between her birthday and our proposal "anniversary" I'm clean for February.

Reaction Score
Get a bottle of red wine called The Federalist, it has Abe Lincoln's picture on it. It's like $18-$20. It is delicious and very full bodied. It pretty well guarantees a very good evening.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would but she doesn't really drink.

She's not into chocolate either.

She's been into this healthy lifestyle kick since she hit the big four oh. She eats nothing but fruit smoothies, salads, and low fat proteins. I'm bored to death of it. It's no way to live.

Beer and cheeseburgers, now that's living.
No matter how little someone drinks, as long as they do drink, I've never seen anyone not enjoy a little good champagne. The key being "good." Don't ever do cheap champagne; much better off with Prosecco, which, again, almost everyone enjoys.

Otherwise, maybe Edible Arrangements? I think their prices are highway robbery for what you get, and I'd much prefer the make a nice meal at home idea, but if you're looking for something healthy and brainless, that'll work.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would but she doesn't really drink.

She's not into chocolate either.

She's been into this healthy lifestyle kick since she hit the big four oh. She eats nothing but fruit smoothies, salads, and low fat proteins. I'm bored to death of it. It's no way to live.

Beer and cheeseburgers, now that's living.

Thoughts and prayers.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
No matter how little someone drinks, as long as they do drink, I've never seen anyone not enjoy a little good champagne. The key being "good." Don't ever do cheap champagne; much better off with Prosecco, which, again, almost everyone enjoys.

Otherwise, maybe Edible Arrangements? I think their prices are highway robbery for what you get, and I'd much prefer the make a nice meal at home idea, but if you're looking for something healthy and brainless, that'll work.
Done. Bottle of champagne it is.

And a flowering plant for the garden. Flowers die.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

And a flowering plant for the garden. Flowers die.
Don't get sucked into Veuve Clicquot. It's good but almost cliche at this point, and overpriced imo because of it. Look for Billecart Salmon Brut Reserve (around the same price but better), or spend a few more bucks for the Billecart Salmon Brut Rose, which is about as sure-fire as you can get.

Reaction Score
...is just a few days away.

I'm talking about Valentine's Day, of course.

My wife expects me to spend money on her as some sort of proof of my appreciation for her. If I don't, or if the gesture is somehow not adequate by some unpublished standard that only women seem to have knowledge of, welcome to weeks in the doghouse.

How did this ridiculous arrangement come to be? How can we fight this obvious affront to manhood so further generations can be free from this oppression?

I'm going to give you a 5 star piece of advice, even though I know you won't take it. The young engaged idiots never do.

Over the next 12 months, what you do sets the stage for the rest of the years you spend with her. Shoot low or you'll be running around all year buying expensive jewelry, overpaying for flowers, setting up spa appointments. All things that cost you a lot of money....that you share none of with her. Choose wisely.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm going to give you a 5 star piece of advice, even though I know you won't take it. The young engaged idiots never do.

Over the next 12 months, what you do sets the stage for the rest of the years you spend with her. Shoot low or you'll be running around all year buying expensive jewelry, overpaying for flowers, setting up spa appointments. All things that cost you a lot of money....that you share none of with her. Choose wisely.
I think you quoted the wrong guy.

The first Valentine's Day gift I ever got my wife was a mug.

Reaction Score
It is a stupid holiday. Lucky for me my wife dislikes it too and is straightforward in general. No hidden messages. Any woman I ever dated was the same, in fact. I always thought it was just about growing up, being mature and logical and not materialistic or caring about this type of stuff like valentines.. Woman like that exist, I just avoid the girls who prefer to be cryptic or too caught up on some day, not all woman are like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. Terrible night to go to a restaurant; second only to Mother's Day I think.

It's a great night to make a meal for your wife at home.
Agreed, but be romantic and tell her to make something special. She deserves it.

Reaction Score
DVmy-EwXkAU16Tr.jpg

We know it's NOT National Pizza Day!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Make your own chocolate covered fruit. It's not hard, costs way less. and she'll appreciate the effort, no matter how uneven the chocolate coats the strawberry. Plus you'll get some (some of THAT too, God willing).

Reaction Score
2/14 is celebrated as long as 3/14 is celebrated too.
Fair is fair.

Google it ;)

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Don't get sucked into Veuve Clicquot. It's good but almost cliche at this point, and overpriced imo because of it. Look for Billecart Salmon Brut Reserve (around the same price but better), or spend a few more bucks for the Billecart Salmon Brut Rose, which is about as sure-fire as you can get.
Someone drinks well. Ruinart is another nice "unknown" that rivals the Krug, Dom Perignon class of champagnes. Krug is the best, far better than Cristal or Dom, but the price... I celebrated 4/5/1999 with Krug, not sure if I bought another since.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Someone drinks well. Ruinart is another nice "unknown" that rivals the Krug, Dom Perignon class of champagnes. Krug is the best, far better than Cristal or Dom, but the price... I celebrated 4/5/1999 with Krug, not sure if I bought another since.
I don't buy a lot of Champagne but seem to receive often as gifts. I do enjoy the good stuff though. Just too cheap to buy it other than special occasions.

My go-to sparkler is Rose Prosecco, which is around $13 to $18. Everyone loves it.

Reaction Score
It is a stupid holiday. Lucky for me my wife dislikes it too and is straightforward in general. No hidden messages. Any woman I ever dated was the same, in fact. I always thought it was just about growing up, being mature and logical and not materialistic or caring about this type of stuff like valentines.. Woman like that exist, I just avoid the girls who prefer to be cryptic or too caught up on some day, not all woman are like that.

My wife has had an intense dislike for Valentines Day ever since I met her. It may have to do partly with her having worked as a Stop & Shop florist when I first met her when we were going to UConn many years ago. She always has called it a guilt trip holiday. My wife is also pretty straight forward as well. Her birthday is several days after Valentines Day. It often coincides with the opening weekend of the UConn baseball season, which means I'm often trying to schedule birthday lunches and dinners around the baseball games. Lucky for me she is almost as daffy about UConn baseball as I am, so she puts up with it quite well.

Reaction Score

And a flowering plant for the garden. Flowers die.[/QUOTE
I get my flowers at the cemetery. They are free and nobody complains when you steal them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Your wife doesn't find the "From Loving Daughter in Law" sash awkward?

She's a keeper.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
...is just a few days away.

I'm talking about Valentine's Day, of course.

My wife expects me to spend money on her as some sort of proof of my appreciation for her. If I don't, or if the gesture is somehow not adequate by some unpublished standard that only women seem to have knowledge of, welcome to weeks in the doghouse.

How did this ridiculous arrangement come to be? How can we fight this obvious affront to manhood so further generations can be free from this oppression?

Sweetest Day is even worse. It's basically just another Valentine's Day, except it happens in October.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom