OT: - The most stupid and pointless holiday ever | The Boneyard

OT: The most stupid and pointless holiday ever

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
...is just a few days away.

I'm talking about Valentine's Day, of course.

My wife expects me to spend money on her as some sort of proof of my appreciation for her. If I don't, or if the gesture is somehow not adequate by some unpublished standard that only women seem to have knowledge of, welcome to weeks in the doghouse.

How did this ridiculous arrangement come to be? How can we fight this obvious affront to manhood so further generations can be free from this oppression?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

My wife expects me to spend money on her as some sort of proof of my appreciation for her. If I don't, or if the gesture is somehow not adequate by some unpublished standard that only women seem to have knowledge of, welcome to weeks in the doghouse.

How did this ridiculous arrangement come to be? How can we fight this obvious affront to manhood so further generations can be free from this oppression?

Be less of a dick the rest of the year?

(obviously joking)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Getting married April 6th so my fiancé was like “we don’t have money to buy gifts right now and it’s too close to the wedding so no gifts we’ll just do dinner.”

Trap or nah?
Also, we’re taking advantage of the free basketball tickets for the 15th

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Getting married April 6th so my fiancé was like “we don’t have money to buy gifts right now and it’s too close to the wedding so no gifts we’ll just do dinner.”

Trap or nah?
It's all a trap. All of it. The wedding, everything...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You just need to explain to her how you feel. Just say "Honey if I wanted to pay for sex, I could still be single right now." It will be great to get the truth out. Frankly, I think it will bring you closer together.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Trap or nah?
Hmm, how can I put this subtly?

itsatrap.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Personally I think Halloween is more of a waste.

For Valentine's Day, I just avoid flowers because of the ridiculous markup; but I buy them frequently the rest of the year.

Thanks to @Deepster for getting us hooked on them, my ladies (wife and daughters) now expect truffles.

Luxury Chocolate Truffles, Gourmet Gifts & Specialty Recipes at Vosges Haut-Chocolat for ones to ship;

MELT Chocolatier for local pickup.

Halloween is an equal opportunity provider of candy, don't denigrate the great holiday like that. It's also impossible to name a single Valentine's day movie that's superior to even a mediocre Halloween flick.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's all a trap. All of it. The wedding, everything...
You are aware enough to realize this yet you had to question what you did in the opening post?

It is all a trap and it is a battle that you can never win (in fact winning any battles along the way may be the most dangerous thing you can do).

Your choices are simple, accept your defeats or live like a hermit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Halloween is an equal opportunity provider of candy, don't denigrate the great holiday like that. It's also impossible to name a single Valentine's day movie that's superior to even a mediocre Halloween flick.
Valentine's Day hype lasts exactly one day.

Halloween hype starts on Labor Day.

I don't need an excuse to eat candy, and there is too damn much of it--especially the crappy stuff--on Halloween.

Buy enough nice truffles for the ladies in your life for Valentine's Day and you will get to have your share; and maybe, just maybe, someone will love you enough to have a chocolatier make chocolate covered bacon for you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Personally I think Halloween is more of a waste.

For Valentine's Day, I just avoid flowers because of the ridiculous markup; but I buy them frequently the rest of the year.

Thanks to @Deepster for getting us hooked on them, my ladies (wife and daughters) now expect truffles.

Luxury Chocolate Truffles, Gourmet Gifts & Specialty Recipes at Vosges Haut-Chocolat for ones to ship;

MELT Chocolatier for local pickup.
Noted at Whole Foods yesterday: $24 for a dozen roses discounted to $19.99 for Amazon Prime members. Not an endorsement in any way, but wanted to tell somebody about this emerging corporate synergy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Trap or nah?

Wedding? Definitely a trap.
Valentine's Day? Set norms and follow through.

I'm a bit lucky that Mrs. Diesel's bday is near Valentine's and we usually just wrap the two in to one. We've been doing this for almost 20 years and it works well for us. I don't think I've ever done more than a card for Valentine's Day and vice versa. Certainly wouldn't ever consider going out to a restaurant.

New Year's Eve = Amateur night for drunks.
Valentine's Day= Amateur night for romantics.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wedding? Definitely a trap.
Valentine's Day? Set norms and follow through.

I'm a bit lucky that Mrs. Diesel's bday is near Valentine's and we usually just wrap the two in to one. We've been doing this for almost 20 years and it works well for us. I don't think I've ever done more than a card for Valentine's Day and vice versa. Certainly wouldn't ever consider going out to a restaurant.

New Year's Eve = Amateur night for drunks.
Valentine's Day= Amateur night for romantics.
Agreed. Terrible night to go to a restaurant; second only to Mother's Day I think.

It's a great night to make a meal for your wife at home.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
buy them through the BY link?

The universe is folding up into itself. Soon, all human interaction will occur through the Boneyard.

Kind of like the AOL homepage in the late 1990s and early 2000s for everybody 50 & over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Fill her full of champaigne and see where the night takes you.

Reaction Score
Here in the DC area the jewelry stores, I believe, banded together and tried to start a new holiday called 'Sweetest Day'. Not sure if that was anywhere else but the premise was to buy some jewelry for your 'Sweetest'. It was advertised all the time on the radio for 3-4 years then stopped when it didn't pan out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Same with Lady Hans, though we've got grandkids coming tomorrow for a week early birthday celebration.

Also, after the Cincinnati game, I walked over to check out the Benton Museum of Art. For $2.99, I seized the moment and bought a blank card to festoon with ribbon, glitter, stamp pad images, and decorative paper. Arts & crafts before the Dairy Bar.
Simple TJ's bouquet & a few truffles and I'm gold.
I think I got the hint to pay for the mani/pedi/massage birthday pampering.

Reaction Score
Special day for me. Uprooted my family from Conn to Colorado on Valentines day.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Fill her full of champaigne and see where the night takes you.
I would but she doesn't really drink.

She's not into chocolate either.

She's been into this healthy lifestyle kick since she hit the big four oh. She eats nothing but fruit smoothies, salads, and low fat proteins. I'm bored to death of it. It's no way to live.

Beer and cheeseburgers, now that's living.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom