OT: - The most stupid and pointless holiday ever | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The most stupid and pointless holiday ever

Reaction Score
Despite my being a female I do hate Valentine's Day - to much pressure. If the person you may happen to be with doesn't know you care then one day isn't going to make a difference.
My second most useless "holiday" would be Halloween - I don't play dress up.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I just got into this post after the game. Freaking hilarious. What a great read after another embarrassing loss. No matter what, The Yard never losses it's sense of humor. LOL

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Despite my being a female I do hate Valentine's Day - to much pressure. If the person you may happen to be with doesn't know you care then one day isn't going to make a difference.
Yeah, my husband and I go out to dinner somewhere, not too fancy because that's not us, and exchange cards. No gifts.

For me, the second worst holiday is Thanksgiving. I have to do all the shopping, cooking, and usually all the cleaning for a husband and two adult sons that eat a ton of food. A couple days later, I get as a prize the dead carcass of the turkey. Yay.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my husband and I go out to dinner somewhere, not too fancy because that's not us, and exchange cards. No gifts.

For me, the second worst holiday is Thanksgiving. I have to do all the shopping, cooking, and usually all the cleaning for a husband and two adult sons that eat a ton of food. A couple days later, I get as a prize the dead carcass of the turkey. Yay.
I have a simple solution Nan. Next Thanksgiving when your husband and sons sit down to the table just bring out a platter of tuna fish sandwiches. They’ll be glad to help you out the next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have a simple solution Nan. Next Thanksgiving when your husband and sons sit down to the table just bring out a platter of tuna fish sandwiches. They’ll be glad to help you out the next year.
Nah, this coming Thanksgiving will be in a restaurant in the Virgin Islands.

upload_2018-2-11_8-51-27.png

Reaction Score
The girlfriend and I will be heading to Present Company in Simsbury for dinner. I guess it's a new restaurant that's had great reviews.

Sit at the counter if you can. It’s a front row seat right where they’re cooking in front of you and talking and sharing tastes with you through the meal. Very entertaining. Present Company > Millwrights in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I would but she doesn't really drink.

She's not into chocolate either.

She's been into this healthy lifestyle kick since she hit the big four oh. She eats nothing but fruit smoothies, salads, and low fat proteins. I'm bored to death of it. It's no way to live.

Beer and cheeseburgers, now that's living.
If she’s on a health kick, why not do something outdoors with some physical activity like a cool hike or something, weather permitting? Or get her something that will help her expand on her health kick like a foam roller or other massage equipment or something?

Shared experiences can be just as good as physical gifts and it’s something. Or surprise her with an itinerary for a weekend trip. I too hate giving gifts that are just things that only she will (momentarily) enjoy

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Present Company was all filled up in Simsbury, UCYamsMD waited too long for a reservation.

Now we're staying in and I'm making fried chicken, biscuits and gravy.

Reaction Score

Idk

When you get a carcass.....make soup

Reaction Score
My wife and I made an agreement not to get each other anything last night. I will now get her a few things and a thoughtful card with a heartfelt note inside. She will get me nothing. Wednesday night at bed time, I'll get something "extra". Well played, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My wife and I made an agreement not to get each other anything last night. I will now get her a few things and a thoughtful card with a heartfelt note inside. She will get me nothing. Tomorrow night at bed time, I'll get something "extra". Well played, if I do say so myself.
Wait, you and your wife agreed not to give each other gifts but you're going to get her something anyway?

Reaction Score
By any chance are the $4,000 flowers coming from a Nigerian Prince who has a special deal for you and you only?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cooking a nice dinner can lead to rave reviews. I'm doing surf and turf with lobster tail and petite filets. Add a nice bottle of wine and you're set for another year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
...is just a few days away.

I'm talking about Valentine's Day, of course.

My wife expects me to spend money on her as some sort of proof of my appreciation for her. If I don't, or if the gesture is somehow not adequate by some unpublished standard that only women seem to have knowledge of, welcome to weeks in the doghouse.

How did this ridiculous arrangement come to be? How can we fight this obvious affront to manhood so further generations can be free from this oppression?

My wife expects nothing but a card. I decided long ago not to buy flowers as the price is jacked up. She agrees. She'd rather get flowers at random times through the year. It's a Hallmark holiday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife expects nothing but a card. I decided long ago not to buy flowers as the price is jacked up. She agrees. She'd rather get flowers at random times through the year. It's a Hallmark holiday.
But now the card prices are outrageous too! And where are the simple, elegant cards; or the funny cards that are actually funny?

I like offbeat cards if I can find them, but this year I hit CVS over the weekend. There were still a ton of cards, but so few of them even remotely acceptable for me to give to my wife or daughters. And around $7.00+ apiece!?! For a card!?!

Yes, I obviously did it, but for my money I'd much rather buy them a few more truffles. Next year I gotta try and search out some more interesting cards.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For me, the second worst holiday is Thanksgiving

Fully Agree.

What a terrible holiday with a just awful main course. Its not even really edible.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

make your own cards are more personal and from the heart:

7f2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom