The Grind | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Getting back to recruiting, I’m of the opinion , which I suspect won’t be popular here , that the lack of success last year makes it more difficult to recruit.
Kids perceive that Buzz around a program and want to be a part of it. That’s why we can’t afford to write off another year.
I know the BY likes to downplay the NIT but that success enabled JC to not only step up in quality but also step out geographically.
If we got to the NIT last year and made a run like a less talented WSU did the program perception would be through the roof this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just sounds so cliche. I love the French. Most of the bad rep French people get is because of Paris and even then my countless visits have been opposite of most. I found people in the NW of the country to be brilliant too, so kind, caring and giving, for example. I actually have more of an issue with some people from some Eastern Euro countries like Ukraine. Icy cold in my experience, buy hey, just like you, maybe I have limited experience with Ukrainians.

Your story sucks and I will crush you. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Getting back to recruiting, I’m of the opinion , which I suspect won’t be popular here , that the lack of success last year makes it more difficult to recruit.
Kids perceive that Buzz around a program and want to be a part of it. That’s why we can’t afford to write off another year.
I know the BY likes to downplay the NIT but that success enabled JC to not only step up in quality but also step out geographically.
If we got to the NIT last year and made a run like a less talented WSU did the program perception would be through the rough this year.

Calhoun went national off the Dream Season not the NIT. Also, our team minus Adams and with half a Gilbert was not more talented than WSU.

I don't disagree with your overall point that some postseason presence/success would have been/will be very important to recruiting. You're just a year ahead of our actual schedule.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You could do a hell of a lot worse. Sounds like a nice list - what else is on it?

A few places in Spain & Portugal in addition to other French towns, mostly south. And an outlier in Croatia, although that's a language issue for both of us. Took me awhile to sell my wife on it as she's always wanted to retire on a golf course in FL. Not much left I really want to see/do in US once I'm done working. And when we got down to it, there just wasn't appeal in SA, Panama or CR as we both love Europe a lot more and can train the whole place for relatively cheap once we're there.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You guys totally miss the genius of the post.
It’s completely open ended and interpretations can vary.
For the optimist it could mean the big get
For the pragmatic it could mean a workable backup 5
Or the pessimist it could mean despite busting our butts we swung and missed totally.
All the bases are covered .
This must be the dead period when posters are doing metaphysical analysis of a 4 word post from chief. All he is trying to do is encourage you to not lose faith in the process. Trust Hurley and the coaches.

Reaction Score
This must be the dead period when posters are doing metaphysical analysis of a 4 word post from chief. All he is trying to do is encourage you to not lose faith in the process. Trust Hurley and the coaches.
I'd be sympathetic to this if he wouldn't have later point to his post as evidence he knew a recruit was committing. Which he would have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we got to the NIT last year and made a run like a less talented WSU did the program perception would be through the rough this year.

Winning is everything. Winning -> recruiting -> winning. Forget 2021. We must win now. There are no 5 year plans like Edsall talks about. That was Randy 2.0’s biggest mistake. Cram as many functional JUCOs on a team as possible, win games, then worry about building your long term roster.

It’s why I don’t think we can bring in Ntambwe. We have one player sitting and one scholarship out, we need a live body. Diarra or somebody else. And make no mistake, UConn did have more talent than WSU last year. Watching us not live up to modest expectations put a damper on the excitement of the Hurley hire. A second year of no tournament and Hurley will have all the excitement of Joe Biden when recruiting for 2020.

C

Chief00

I think we lost Precious when he left NY for Florida
I 100% agree with that and same with Kofi going to Virginia. As stated above our influence faded. I am not blaming Kimani as some think but we better understand this correlation going forward.

C

Chief00

A few places in Spain & Portugal in addition to other French towns, mostly south. And an outlier in Croatia, although that's a language issue for both of us. Took me awhile to sell my wife on it as she's always wanted to retire on a golf course in FL. Not much left I really want to see/do in US once I'm done working. And when we got down to it, there just wasn't appeal in SA, Panama or CR as we both love Europe a lot more and can train the whole place for relatively cheap once we're there.
Doesn’t sound like “The Grind” but sounds like a great time.
Have Fun
#ChiefCertified

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with that and same with Kofi going to Virginia. As stated above our influence faded. I am not blaming Kimani as some think but we better understand this correlation going forward.
Don't blame the player, blame the game. We lost both guys for the same reason. Most play checkers, some are playing chess. Checkmate. Every single time.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the player, blame the game. We lost both guys for the same reason. Most play checkers, some are playing chess. Checkmate. Every single time.
Over my head here......what was the chess move that got us beat??

Reaction Score
Over my head here.what was the chess move that got us beat??
Benefits homie, straight benefits. Illinois and Memphis offered something we we weren't willing to. They are playing a different game. This isn't new. I can spell it out further if you still don't get it.

Reaction Score
Not losing sleep over Precious....other than Anthony Davis- how many 1 and dones have led to a National Championship? Keep grinding Dan- will take the quality build approach with those that stay 3-4 years.

The dreaded Carmelo Anthony is one we all likely remember with no fondness.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'd be sympathetic to this if he wouldn't have later point to his post as evidence he knew a recruit was committing. Which he would have.
I don't know anything on the inside. I have no contacts and no inside scoop. BUT, I know recruits are committing. What's the big deal.

Reaction Score
Benefits homie, straight benefits. Illinois and Memphis offered something we we weren't willing to. They are playing a different game. This isn't new. I can spell it out further if you still don't get it.

But could you spell it out with (you know) evidence. This "We can't get recruits because other schools cheat" narrative gets old. I get it. It's satisfying. It's a convenient story. It creates a villain to blame. It just doesn't play outside the bubble.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The worst thing about Europe is the portions they serve at restaurants. Your post reignited my genius idea of bringing a Cheesecake Factory to the heart of Tuscany. FWIW, we would serve local wines.
Not in the Balkans; they feed you like there is no tomorrow.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I lived for three years in Zagreb, drop me a line if you need a sales pitch on Croatia. Most people speak English, and if they don't they'll find someone who does.

Reaction Score
If we got to the NIT last year and made a run like a less talented WSU did the program perception would be through the roof this year.
Or better. But point made.

C

Chief00

How did Chief blame the player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA