The Grind | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How did Chief blame the player?
The player was Kimani, the game was landing Kofi and Precious. He was playing checkers, OA and Lil Penny from science class were playing chess.

pj

Reaction Score
The player was Kimani, the game was landing Kofi and Precious. He was playing checkers, OA and Lil Penny from science class were playing chess.

And I don't blame Kimani for losing that game. It's a game he shouldn't be playing. Let Memphis be Memphis, let UConn be UConn, let's shock the world, let's show the world what happens when you mistreat an upright group.

Reaction Score
And I don't blame Kimani for losing that game. It's a game he shouldn't be playing. Let Memphis be Memphis, let UConn be UConn, let's shock the world, let's show the world what happens when you mistreat an upright group.
Lets do it! I am ok with missing on Kofi and Precious. I am far less ok with not having an immediate upgrade in our front court to help Josh. So either they were playing the game and lost, or the grind was somewhat misguided. To go into next season without addressing our most immediate need doesn't add up.

I really do respect this idea of doing it the right way. But don't be naive and not recognize the under the table business that is major college sports. Many are doing it, many are not. Its why good guys like Bielien left all together. Its why bad guys like Sean Miller and Will Wade still get top recruits. Its why Louisville got into the ACC. Its why UConn did not. Personally, I don't believe there are many rogue coaches. I think this is a decision that is understood from the top down. Hell, its probably why the Memphis AD stepped down this past week. So, yeah, I too am more than ok with Kimani losing that game. I am less clear on what UConn being UConn even means at this point. We haven't seen the UConn I have grown to know in quite some time. Quite frankly, I become less confident each day that we ever will.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The grind is not smoke and mirrors. It is not about dropping 10 large like a dime. The grind is not about the destination but the journey. The grind is never over. After cutting down the nets it back into the grind so you can do it again. And again.

Reaction Score
The grind is not smoke and mirrors. It is not about dropping 10 large like a dime. The grind is not about the destination but the journey. The grind is never over. After cutting down the nets it back into the grind so you can do it again. And again.
Definition of the grind. See above.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, that just said motivational poster to me.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
That’s not a grind it’s bright lights and mirrors but it certainly is working for Penny. Good for him.
Sore loser much, Chief? I love the backhanded compliment. Would you be kind enough to explain what you mean by bright lights and mirrors?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not in the Balkans; they feed you like there is no tomorrow.

I was in Bulgaria for a couple of months in 2003 and while this is true, I found the offerings fairly limited. I imagine Croatia has better options being next to Italy. But while one could buy great tomatoes from Lebanon in February, decent Italian, French and especially Mexican/Latin was impossible to come by in Sofia. But if you love lamb and shopska salads, you're golden. Maybe there's decent suhere now as when I was there the Japanese were starting to invest in tourism.

Reaction Score
Lets do it! I am ok with missing on Kofi and Precious. I am far less ok with not having an immediate upgrade in our front court to help Josh. So either they were playing the game and lost, or the grind was somewhat misguided. To go into next season without addressing our most immediate need doesn't add up.

I really do respect this idea of doing it the right way. But don't be naive and not recognize the under the table business that is major college sports. Many are doing it, many are not. Its why good guys like Bielien left all together. Its why bad guys like Sean Miller and Will Wade still get top recruits. Its why Louisville got into the ACC. Its why UConn did not. Personally, I don't believe there are many rogue coaches. I think this is a decision that is understood from the top down. Hell, its probably why the Memphis AD stepped down this past week. So, yeah, I too am more than ok with Kimani losing that game. I am less clear on what UConn being UConn even means at this point. We haven't seen the UConn I have grown to know in quite some time. Quite frankly, I become less confident each day that we ever will.

I know what you’re saying but I remain ever hopeful.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I love Coach Calhoun and everything he did for UConn,
Apparently you don't given that you are taking shots at a guy who's not here to defend himself.

Reaction Score
Getting back to recruiting, I’m of the opinion , which I suspect won’t be popular here , that the lack of success last year makes it more difficult to recruit.
Kids perceive that Buzz around a program and want to be a part of it. That’s why we can’t afford to write off another year.
I know the BY likes to downplay the NIT but that success enabled JC to not only step up in quality but also step out geographically.
If we got to the NIT last year and made a run like a less talented WSU did the program perception would be through the roof this year.
I think Hurley and staff have done a pretty good job recruiting. Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, and Cole. Not too shabby

Reaction Score
Dr(sleep)Zzzz was the first to like a post talking about “Who’s sleeping?” I thought it was funny. I thought it was obvious enough, guess not.

I suppose if maybe your name is Dr. Zemetrious Zandon Zataloni-Zimmitti it wouldn’t be that obvy.
So I'm like a clown? I'm here to amuse you? What was so funny? YOU said it was funny. What was so funny?

Reaction Score
I was in Bulgaria for a couple of months in 2003 and while this is true, I found the offerings fairly limited. I imagine Croatia has better options being next to Italy. But while one could buy great tomatoes from Lebanon in February, decent Italian, French and especially Mexican/Latin was impossible to come by in Sofia. But if you love lamb and shopska salads, you're golden. Maybe there's decent suScalitohere now as when I was there the Japanese were starting to invest in tourism.
Bulgaria's way different than it was in 2003, though probably just as corrupt. I like Sofia a lot-good restaurants and pretty inexpensive overall.

Reaction Score
The pizza I had in Dusseldorf was better than 98% of pizza in Pittsburgh. Probably 80% of CT (outside NH/Ffld counties).

Aix en Provence is on our short list of retirement destinations. My experience is mostly Paris and I'd agree with your colleague's assessment based on that limited sample. However, we have friends and family who've lived in south of France and have found it much more friendly and accepting of US ex-pats.

When was that? I used to spend a decent amount of time in Dusseldorf - and I thought the food there was generally terrible if you didn't stick to German food. (2000-2005 time frame)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When was that? I used to spend a decent amount of time in Dusseldorf - and I thought the food there was generally terrible if you didn't stick to German food. (2000-2005 time frame)

I was mistaken, it was Köln, where I was staying to attend a trade show in Dusseldorf. The cafe in Hotel Lowenbrau. And it was mid-90s. But it was a surprisingly good pizza as I wasn't expecting much.

Reaction Score
But could you spell it out with (you know) evidence. This "We can't get recruits because other schools cheat" narrative gets old. I get it. It's satisfying. It's a convenient story. It creates a villain to blame. It just doesn't play outside the bubble.
Seems like you are the one in the bubble. Spend some time around the elite AAU circuit and hear how some of these kids talk to each other. Google the governments recent case vs shoe executives and assistant coaches and read the transcripts. Cheating isn't happening at a select few places. Its happening in most places. Educate yourself. Anytime a school gets a top recruit very late in the process, there is a reason. Tremont to LSU, Kofi to Illinios, Precious to Memphis are just a few examples. Even easier, whenever a top recruit holds out until very late in the spring, there is usually some sort of bidding war going on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score

O he of little faith. It might not be next year but the following year! I believe in Coach Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom