The Grind | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
84AA4AAD-BE6D-42EF-9DF4-85C84C1861A8.jpeg

A best seller

Reaction Score
I actually have more of an issue with some people from some Eastern Euro countries like Ukraine. Icy cold in my experience, buy hey, just like you, maybe I have limited experience with Ukrainians.
Ukrainians and other far eastern C&E Europeans generally have an icy cold stereotype on the surface, but that's no shocker considering history. Once Ukrainians and most C&E Europeans get to know you, many to most warm up if they like the person. Your post suggests you weren't around for long, but in about 80+ nations my experience is C&E European hospitality leans on the high-end range when they like a person.

Reaction Score
The pizza I had in Dusseldorf was better than 98% of pizza in Pittsburgh. Probably 80% of CT (outside NH/Ffld counties).
Hmmm, OK
Aix en Provence is on our short list of retirement destinations. ... we have friends and family who've lived in south of France and have found it much more friendly and accepting of US ex-pats.
Ayup @storrsroars , similar experiences; we're toying with the possibility yet absolutely not in one of the local villages overwrought with far too many Yank wankahs. With friends' homes to visit when they're there and stay in when they're not, we're also considering run-down renovation alternatives in Spain, Italy, Slovenja and Croatia. In the latter 2, English is a minimal issue. In Pittsburgh, you could likely find plenty of Slovenes and Croats to practice the lingos in advance. No reason to rule out either country.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hmmm, OKAyup @storrsroars , similar experiences; we're toying with the possibility yet absolutely not in one of the local villages overwrought with far too many Yank wankahs. With friends' homes to visit when they're there and stay in when they're not, we're also considering run-down renovation alternatives in Spain, Italy, Slovenja and Croatia. In the latter 2, English is a minimal issue. In Pittsburgh, you could likely find plenty of Slovenes and Croats to practice the lingos in advance. No reason to rule out either country.

In addition to the language, have you read up on expat experiences with Croatian bureaucracy? It appears to be awful. My experience with Bulgarian bureaucracy just getting a work visa was pretty bad - made Mexico look positively efficient. Guess it's a Slav thing...

Nice to have friends to stay with. My wife has family in Croatia, but they don't know that as it was Serbian territory when her grandparents left for the us. Serbs and Croats get along like oil & water.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Why the travel talk - shouldn't this be a separate off topic thread ?
Digression is the essence of the Boneyard. You'll get used to it. Or, you won't and you'll have other activities that you'll enjoy like talking about juicy IPA's or discussing the merits of David Byrne's cover of the Biz Markie hit "Just a Friend". But I digress.

Reaction Score
There’s a front row seat for you at First Night. Chief plays the long game.
The long game? I guarantee I’ve been a UConn fan longer than you, and know more about UConn hoops from the inside more than you ever will. But I’m gonna make my own prediction: UConn will sign another recruit. You heard it here first.

Reaction Score
The long game? I guarantee I’ve been a UConn fan longer than you, and know more about UConn hoops from the inside more than you ever will. But I’m gonna make my own prediction: UConn will sign another recruit. You heard it here first.
No I think I was first...madmannin ain't easy. Someone has to keep it real. LOL!!!!

C

Chief00

If it upsets you, feel free to put me on ignore. I go off topic all the time. Especially on puerile threads.
I can assure you this “puerile” thread doesn’t have 17,000 views because of your travel diversion. I have no problem with a little diversion in threads but since you called my thread “puerile”, I suggest you start a thread of your own and see if it commands that many views.

Reaction Score
I can assure you this “puerile” thread doesn’t have 17,000 views because of your travel diversion. I have no problem with a little diversion in threads but since you called my thread “puerile”, I suggest you start a thread of your own and see if it commands that many views.
Sometimes you actually provide good insight. Having said that, for some reason you always seem to make it about you and not U conn. Try removing your ego from the thread. Maybe start a new one and call it Chief's ego.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That's more an indictment on society than it is about me ;-)

Reaction Score
Lololol. Ever the fragile ego.

How about the mods just lock this “vapid” thread instead?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You guys totally miss the genius of the post.
It’s completely open ended and interpretations can vary.
For the optimist it could mean the big get
For the pragmatic it could mean a workable backup 5
Or the pessimist it could mean despite busting our butts we swung and missed totally.
All the bases are covered .
What about the pragmatic fatalist in the bunch? Stuff's going to happen, so deal with it. That's my motto.

C

Chief00

@Chief00 has been known to be a more urbandictionary.com type of guy.
Yeah, We did not use that word where I grew up. In fact, Chief has never used that word where I currently live - until I read it here and looked it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, We did not use that word where I grew up. In fact, Chief has never used that word where I cutrentky live - until I read it here and looked it up.

Where'd you go to school, Housatonic CC?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ukrainians and other far eastern C&E Europeans generally have an icy cold stereotype on the surface, but that's no shocker considering history. Once Ukrainians and most C&E Europeans get to know you, many to most warm up if they like the person. Your post suggests you weren't around for long, but in about 80+ nations my experience is C&E European hospitality leans on the high-end range when they like a person.
It's a definitely a different mindset. A German acquaintance of mine was surprised that the phrase, "if you're in the area stop by" wasn't intended literally. He was surprised at the cool reception he got (not from me.) He, on the other hand, was an incredibly gracious host, though he had a competitive drinking thing going. (For the record, he definitely got the better of me, but I think I acquitted the US quite well. Plus I powered through the next day, unlike my US colleague who may still be recovering.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom