The all things Boyle Merged Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The all things Boyle Merged Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If this is the best approach what purpose would there be to redshirt anyone?

Believe it or not many programs (especially those with a new regime attempting to rebuild something) are looking more towards the future than they are the present. If we were Alabama, Oregon or one of the few with a legitimate shot at making a run at a title, yes, you do take risks, potentially sacrificing some wins a few years down the road. Hell, if we went into this season with a legitimate shot at a bowl (my guess is that an AAC team will need eight wins, which may be a bit too much to ask of this squad) I could see the argument.

I do see 2017 as a year where our defense will be very good and where we will be at a minimum solid all other offensive positions, a veteran QB may be enough to give us the season we've been dreaming about since they opened the Rent. If things had been different with Casey, I wouldn't like the idea of sitting around in 2017 saying 'Damn, that fifth win in 2014 (that we wouldn't have had if we redshirted Boyle) really wasn't worth it!'.

Of course the future is more important than the present in a situation like this.

But there is a real value to winning 5 games in 2014 over say 3. Or 4 versus 2.

Not that I think Boyle moves the needle in 2014.

Reaction Score
If this is the best approach what purpose would there be to redshirt anyone?

Believe it or not many programs (especially those with a new regime attempting to rebuild something) are looking more towards the future than they are the present. If we were Alabama, Oregon or one of the few with a legitimate shot at making a run at a title, yes, you do take risks, potentially sacrificing some wins a few years down the road. Hell, if we went into this season with a legitimate shot at a bowl (my guess is that an AAC team will need eight wins, which may be a bit too much to ask of this squad) I could see the argument.

I do see 2017 as a year where our defense will be very good and where we will be at a minimum solid all other offensive positions, a veteran QB may be enough to give us the season we've been dreaming about since they opened the Rent. If things had been different with Casey, I wouldn't like the idea of sitting around in 2017 saying 'Damn, that fifth win in 2014 (that we wouldn't have had if we redshirted Boyle) really wasn't worth it!'.

I'm not making the argument either way who gives us the better chance of winning. In an ideal world Boyle would have taken his RS year in 2013. What I'm saying is if the staff feels Boyle gets us 5 or 6 (especially 6) versus 3 wins with Whitmer, you go with Boyle. Who the hell knows what 2017 brings? There's no guarantee that Dan O would've even come back for his 5th year if he had it available. You can't predict what the roster will look like 3 weeks from now never mind 3 years from now.

Reaction Score
The fact that he's been in full contingency mode regarding the position from the git go, says he's probably not thrilled with any of the QB'S on the roster.
Bing Friggin' Go! this has been my opinion since camp opened.

Reaction Score

"freescooter," I get the feeling you think as I do. That RD doesn't think the future QB (including next year) is on the roster. It may be that the kid showing up in January, the one presently moonlighting as our top recruiter, is thought of as the future. How many times have we seen him referred to as the "staff's number-one recruiting target?" It's a real possibility, I think.

By the way, it scares me to think that if, for some reason, this kid changes his mind, we could lose the whole class.

Reaction Score
Kid needs to play to get better. Not sure if anyone noticed but they're not real good on either side of the ball.........this is a good year to let people prepare for the future. How do you do that? PLAY......good, bad, indifferent I know who will be here next year and I know who won't! Whitmer is a great guy and he's been an unbelievable citizen but even if somehow his experience adds 1-2 wins this year you lose because your future didn't get better. Boyle needs to play almost all of the minutes!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The fact that he's been in full contingency mode regarding the position from the git go, says he's probably not thrilled with any of the QB'S on the roster.

Do you really believe that the effort BD et al put into maintaining Boyle's redshirt (prior to Casey's career ending concussion) would have occurred if they felt that way?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not making the argument either way who gives us the better chance of winning. In an ideal world Boyle would have taken his RS year in 2013. What I'm saying is if the staff feels Boyle gets us 5 or 6 (especially 6) versus 3 wins with Whitmer, you go with Boyle. Who the hell knows what 2017 brings? There's no guarantee that Dan O would've even come back for his 5th year if he had it available. You can't predict what the roster will look like 3 weeks from now never mind 3 years from now.

I was talking to Edsall one time and actually made that joke. It was when UConn was joining the Big East but before the raid pushed up the timeline.

I said have you thought about redshirting Orlovsky to have him available for the first year in the Big East?

Needless to say Edsall's sarcasm meter isn't fully functional.

Reaction Score
No, I strongly disagree. If Boyle was more likely to lead us to a win this Saturday than Whitmer, the coaches would be starting him. Are the coaches infallable? Of course not. But is the smart money on them or someone who doesn't see practices and admits that he knows Boyle?
I'll bite... so your premise is that if Boyle was the best option, he would be starting already. has there every been a situation where the backup came in and took over the position? not disagreeing with you completely, just saying that it isn't out of the realm for Boyle to come in and have some success and leap-frog Whitmer.
There were a whole lot of people, football experts actually, that were chasing Boyle not that long ago. The kid has talent and potential. At this point, we know what we get with Whitmer. I don't think it would take much playing time for Boyle to surpass that.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is that black and white. Boyle had a devasting start to his college career. It would be near impossible for an 18yo to not have damage to their confidence after last year. WIth Cochran in the fold, the hope was Boyle could gradually build up his confidence and the team would have better spacing with their QB eligibility. Now that Cochran is out, Boyle has to play. But BD doesn't want to just drop him in against a tough opponent like Boise...it makes more sense to ease him in and take some pressure off.

I think BD thinks CW is the right guy to start the next game....but I also think that BD thinks Boyle is the better talent and when he gets confidence he will be the best option.

We have a winner.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
+1 Diaco said he was fast enough to run out of the pocket... Bonehead did you read the article where HCBD talks about Tim Boyle? I believe you and BD are talking about 2 different Tim Boyle's.

I've seen him play and he is pretty mobile. He is not pocket only passer, but I prefer him throwing from the pocket

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We cannot afford the experiment that was game 1. No QB shuffle
Of 51/49 %, (though it is exhibition.)
Let Boyle in first series of second qtr like some schools do with young QBs. Then take him out. If Whitmer plays well, let whitmer play the rest.
If he sux, pull him - Boyle starts from then on.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was an accident that HCBD used the term "protect" when talking about TB and the redshirt. He saw what happened when they threw him out there as a life raft for everyone to grab onto last year. He could start this year, but I highly doubt he takes over in the Boise game after just one week of game focus as #2, especially if things aren't going well. Seems like a pragmatic guy who will bring him back gradually. I hate the 2QB system but this is a unique situation we may be dealing with for a few more weeks. Hopefully it coincides with a progression of line play and better execution overall.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Tim Boyle did show out in spring;

"QB Boyle Looks Good

It could be pretty scary for the quarterback position, too. The guy who started, Casey Cochran (10 of 20, 91 yards, one interception), wasn't as sharp as he is capable of being. Chandler Whitmer (19 of 26, 163 yards, 1 TD), who started the first five games of the 2013 season, was the most productive and he wasn't as careless with the ball, but he could still be more careful. Tim Boyle (7 of 14, 97 yards) probably looked the best."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tball-blue-white-0413-20140412,0,664187.story
I was unfortunately unable to watch the spring game this year but how is 7/14 for 97 better than 19/26 for 163? He also says Whitmer was the most productive but then said Tim Boyle looked the best. If anything that supports that Boyle is the more talented of the two but is not the best QB yet. For the sake of winning games you need production. Maybe Boyle has developed enough to close that gap since the spring game but there's no way for anyone besides the team/staff to know that.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Boyle would be better than Whitmer *this week*. But I do honestly believe that Boyle will be a LOT better next year if he plays a LOT this year.

As to who wins us more games this year? Not sure...we might end up 3-9 no matter who plays.

Reaction Score
Guys this is whitmers last year and Boyle is the future. Getting him snaps now will only get us two better years of Boyle in the future. The kid has I believe the physical tools just needs the snaps. He will be great if he doesn't get killed

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My view of Boyle ...

I remember the kid's first 5 plays as getting me very excited. I honestly saw a ton of talent & saw something that led me to really hope we had a good prospect to lead us to a more successful program.

That's gets forgotten. He looked pretty good coming out of the chute.

Reaction Score
Boyle is not ready. He will struggle immensely if put in. He is not the answer

Reaction Score
Guys this is whitmers last year and Boyle is the future. Getting him snaps now will only get us two better years of Boyle in the future. The kid has I believe the physical tools just needs the snaps. He will be great if he doesn't get killed

I've been preaching similar words. By getting Boyle some snaps, it instantly makes him the most experienced QB on the roster next season. Shireffs played some his freshman year, but Boyle will now have two years of experience. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

Reaction Score
I've been preaching similar words. By getting Boyle some snaps, it instantly makes him the most experienced QB on the roster next season. Shireffs played some his freshman year, but Boyle will now have two years of experience. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

I think the main disagreement is on the number of snaps and/or how effective he'll be. Very few posters want him to redshirt, some want him to start. But I think we all understand he's going to play some, how much he should play is where the debate is (I think).

How they play could answer a lot, but that assumes there's a wide gap in their performances. They could be equally good, bad, or average.

Reaction Score
Let's see how he does on hist first series. Right now I am very concerned about the QB slot. Patterson needs to call a conservative passing game at least initially for Tim (and CW). For me, I thought there was too much down field throws against SB. Slants, screens and TE targets should be added in addition to GDavis. If we can hit on this stuff and move the chains, I have to think it opens up down field for GD and gets 1 or 2 defenders out of the box. Plus it can get Arkeel and Alec some touches.

Reaction Score
I think the main disagreement is on the number of snaps and/or how effective he'll be. Very few posters want him to redshirt, some want him to start. But I think we all understand he's going to play some, how much he should play is where the debate is (I think).

How they play could answer a lot, but that assumes there's a wide gap in their performances. They could be equally good, bad, or average.

This may be an obvious point, but being a young QB if/when he is used, I hope it is in situations that he has a viable chance to succeed. Time will tell and I will get to see it live this weekend. So pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom