The all things Boyle Merged Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The all things Boyle Merged Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, he plays in a very weak football conference. This doesn't mean he can't play, just means you can't extrapolate much.

Agreed - but seriously impressive numbers...
373 on the ground? Wow!

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The paid professionals did not realize that Casey would make such a huge difference. They are not infallible, that's why they get fired. This is a critical time in uconn football. IF this hire turns out to be a mistake, it places us in a hole from which we may never be able to climb out of.
Agreed - but when they start listening to the locals on who should play they will probably get fired as well.

He had his audition - and now you want another - so be it - put him in...
When the coaches start listening to the fans its probably close to getting fired time anyways.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
bump

I just want every Boyle post at the top of the board this am.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
bump

I just want every Boyle post at the top of the board this am.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diaco is sparing Boyle from being seriously injured this year. I really believe that is why he is in there sporadically. Performes a few tailored plays then leaves

I don't know about that. I think Whitmer is playing because Whitmer is better. Small sample I know but Boyle hasn't done anything well except be tall. But Whitmer is awful so we might as well give Boyle a chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Diaco is sparing Boyle from being seriously injured this year. I really believe that is why he is in there sporadically. Performes a few tailored plays then leaves

^^^THIS. Even in the few reps I've seen, Boyle looks better. More composed, certainly stronger are, doesn't loft balls to the sidelines. But he's not as mobile, and I think HCBD doesn't want his 2015 starter getting crushed.

Reaction Score
Nothing says "should be starting" like a QB rating under 64.

He had the worst QB rating in football last year and it's lower this year.

What are you expecting out of him?

You prefer Whitmer who couldn't pass the put up 20 point barrier versus Towson or Stony Brook? How odd.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You prefer Whitmer who couldn't pass the put up 20 point barrier versus Towson or Stony Brook? How odd.

You prefer BY posters determining who plays - interesting concept.
Maybe we can do a poll each week for every position two deep and submit to HCBD?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You prefer BY posters determining who plays - interesting concept.
Maybe we can do a poll each week for every position two deep and submit to HCBD?

I'm one of the few who still believes in our coach, and I don't live in CT and don't care where Tim Boyle is from. I saw him look poised in the pocket and throw a ball to sideline that wasn't over lofted pick-off material. That's all I need to see to say he's better that Whitmer. Boyle, Foxx, I don't care...Whitmer can't be allowed to play anymore. The offense was minus 6 yesterday, and that's generous since the pick 6 came in field goal range. So minus 9. 19 points surrendered or lost by the offense. Wait, CW took a sack to lose yards and cost us another FG too. Minus 12. I understand why Diaco stopped throwing against USF. For me it isn't "play Tim Boyle"...it's "play anybody but Whitmer".

Reaction Score
I understood the attempt to regain Boyle's RS this year. But once CC was injured, once CW showed/reminded us he is who he is, and once HCBD admitted this was all about 2015 and beyond, the idea of playing Whitmer went out the window. Boyle may prove to be no better than CW, but if we are truly in a rebuilding mode the idea that TB sits in favor of CW makes no sense. Let's see what he has. IMO, playing CW is the equivalent of going w/trick shot Johnny a few years back.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I didn't say that. I did ask you what you expect out of Boyle when he does play? Do you expect he will put up the same kind of numbers he has last year and this year?

What do you expect?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I didn't say that. I did ask you what you expect out of Boyle when he does play? Do you expect he will put up the same kind of numbers he has last year and this year?

What do you expect?

I expect that he will complete enough passes to begin to keep the defense honest. That he can operate out of the shotgun and burn the blitz enough times that it stops. That assumes that the OC calls enough quick pass plays. He doesn't look like a deer in the headlights back there. He isn't getting enough time, but he does have poise and composure, while Whitmer is running for his life as soon as he take the snap. Also...handoffs, who coached Whitmer to hand the ball off the way he does with his arm fully extended? It telegraphs the run and makes play action impossible. Yes, I think Boyle can even hand off better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I expect that he will complete enough passes to begin to keep the defense honest. That he can operate out of the shotgun and burn the blitz enough times that it stops. That assumes that the OC calls enough quick pass plays. He doesn't look like a deer in the headlights back there. He isn't getting enough time, but he does have poise and composure, while Whitmer is running for his life as soon as he take the snap. Also...handoffs, who coached Whitmer to hand the ball off the way he does with his arm fully extended? It telegraphs the run and makes play action impossible. Yes, I think Boyle can even hand off better.

Uggh. Look, I want Boyle to succeed as much as the next guy, because he is the future of this team, but there is nothing to suggest that anything you've said is true. In the game on Saturday, he took hits too. He threw a ridiculous INT too (with pocket protection, I might add). And he ended the day with a negative QB rating. That's right; a negative rating. Until I saw it on ESPN, I wasn't even aware that someone could have a negative rating.

The idea that this kid can fix what ails us (which is an OLine that cannot pass-protect) is simply ludicrous. The only point I agree with you on is that the play calls NEED to change in order to get the ball out of either QB's hands as soon as possible. Everything else is a pipe dream at this point, because it doesn't address the problem...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:

I don't know why you or anyone else can think that. Boyle is 7/13 for 40 yds and an INT. His rating is 64. I also remember him being pretty bad last season, circumstances noted.

Now Whitmer is dead last in QBR among qualifying QBs, sacks being the biggest culprit. Problem is his rating is almost double that of Boyle, 118. So this savior you are waiting for isn't coming becuase he'll be on his back just as often. We best work on the running game.

There can be no joy in the QB dept this season until we can keep one upright. Then we can talk about who may or may not be a worthy QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom