The all things Boyle Merged Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The all things Boyle Merged Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Says Bob Diaco when he speaks about Tim Boyle "Bonehead"

EXACTLY - you figured it out. The head coach feels as though your QB is lacking leadership intangibles which the head coach finds important - that is why he is NOT the starter and although he will get a few plays this weekend it will not be close to the 51/49 that Cochran and Whitmer had.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is there a reason you'd rather address posters, than topics?

Low self-esteem maybe?

I do both. But it's not just the constant negativity coming from you and Jimmy that is driving these jibes, it's your total lack of self-awareness. I mean you said "far too rational for this Boneyard biz" as if you are floating above the fray. You are a major player in the irrational Boneyard biz. Constant premature hammering of the same points while saying "I'm 100% behind Diaco". I mean really. And the Jimmy of all people calling someone a pompous blowhard. Doctors, heal thyselves.

Reaction Score
I do both. But it's not just the constant negativity coming from you and Jimmy that is driving these jibes, it's your total lack of self-awareness. I mean you said "far too rational for this Boneyard biz" as if you are floating above the fray. You are a major player in the irrational Boneyard biz. Constant premature hammering of the same points while saying "I'm 100% behind Diaco". I mean really. And the Jimmy of all people calling someone a pompous blowhard. Doctors, heal thyselves.

I remember constant negativity coming from you when we were actually winning league titles and going to bowl games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought Davis was the future franchise QB? That is the one guy Diaco recruited.

Well Davis did get that offer from ODU. Boyle though, had to suffer with that offer from Florida. I don't think Diaco was recruiting for UConn two years ago...do you?

Let's just see how it all plays out. Whitmer has to start right now, it is obvious he should. Maybe he keeps the job and maybe he doesn't.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Well Davis did get that offer from ODU. Boyle though, had to suffer with that offer from Florida. I don't think Diaco was recruiting for UConn two years ago...do you?

Let's just see how it all plays out. Whitmer has to start right now, it is obvious he should. Maybe he keeps the job and maybe he doesn't.

You are correct, Diaco wasnt recruiting for UConn 2 years ago but the CT HS FB coaches associations' favorite was, PP. But if I remember correctly UConn was his fall back school. Didnt he choose BCU even though he had the sufferable offer from Florida?
Diaco likes mobility out of his QB's - that is not TB's strenght - thats probably why he recruited Davis with the ODU offer and brought in the mobile QB transfer from NC ST.
Listen, I am not trying to get in a peeing match - I am 1000% behind what is best for UConn FB moving forward that is why I am backing a coaches decision and not the local FB hero fans choice. If Boyle was going to be a big surprise he had spring and summer to show it - I wish he could have kept the redshirt but that is out of play at this point. If and when he comes in I will be hoping and cheering for him and the team and if he wins the job great - but there is nothing that is stated from coaches or media that he will surprise - I pray they are all wrong and he goes 3 for 3 for 3 TD's.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
No, I strongly disagree. If Boyle was more likely to lead us to a win this Saturday than Whitmer, the coaches would be starting him. Are the coaches infallable? Of course not. But is the smart money on them or someone who doesn't see practices and admits that he knows Boyle?

I don't think it is that black and white. Boyle had a devasting start to his college career. It would be near impossible for an 18yo to not have damage to their confidence after last year. WIth Cochran in the fold, the hope was Boyle could gradually build up his confidence and the team would have better spacing with their QB eligibility. Now that Cochran is out, Boyle has to play. But BD doesn't want to just drop him in against a tough opponent like Boise...it makes more sense to ease him in and take some pressure off.

I think BD thinks CW is the right guy to start the next game....but I also think that BD thinks Boyle is the better talent and when he gets confidence he will be the best option.

Reaction Score

Its incredible how Stewart is the best palyer on our defense. I mean he didn't just get an offer from Florida. He actually played there. And why can't we get more guys like Dwayne Difton? You know, multiple Big 10 offers. And Frazer, not only had multiple offers but actually went to Notre Dame. He was the best quarterback ever to set foot on Rentschler Field! Oh wait...

Reaction Score

LMAO.

It was a joke. Lighten up.

I apologize for all the negativity displayed while predicting 8-5, sticking with 6-6, and saying repeatedly that this team has more talent than people are giving it credit for. I apologize for saying that you can see Diaco is laying a foundation for a solid program and praising him for getting the players to buy in so quickly.

I apologize for judging our QB situation not just based on the performance of one player, but the performance of both players, and the belief that Diaco has decided on the current starter because that gives us the best chance to win now and/or is best for the program long term.

God forbid I mock the one stupid thing Diaco says because I'd like to find some humor in our current situation.

I thought the negativity stemmed from what we see on the field, from conference realignment, growling dogs on third downs, and mediocre attendance. Self awareness? I never thought I was so important I could drive this board to so much negativity. I've lived in New England my entire life. I thought complaining was what we did best. Jimmy and I driving it? Please.

This board spent years cutting down our own program by belittling our Fiesta Bowl appearance and conference championships. Some of our own fans called us the worst BCS team ever and refused to acknowledge us as conference champions because we were "co-champs" and they didn't like the head coach.

Forgive me if I'm self aware enough to know that there will be complaining and negativity on this board, from this fanbase, for anything less than 13-0. Even then, someone would probably say "yeah but..."

Reaction Score
No, I strongly disagree. If Boyle was more likely to lead us to a win this Saturday than Whitmer, the coaches would be starting him. Are the coaches infallable? Of course not. But is the smart money on them or someone who doesn't see practices and admits that he knows Boyle?

I'm totally confused. Weren't you the one who questioned the coaches for splitting the duties between Whitmer and Cochran?

I don't think the premise here is preposterous.

A true freshman QB 1 month into college has a load of growing to do. Putting him out there is throwing him to the wolves.

Whether he's grown or not in the last 12 months is another story entirely.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You are correct, Diaco wasnt recruiting for UConn 2 years ago but the CT HS FB coaches associations' favorite was, PP. But if I remember correctly UConn was his fall back school. Didnt he choose BCU even though he had the sufferable offer from Florida?
Diaco likes mobility out of his QB's - that is not TB's strenght - thats probably why he recruited Davis with the ODU offer and brought in the mobile QB transfer from NC ST.
Listen, I am not trying to get in a peeing match - I am 1000% behind what is best for UConn FB moving forward that is why I am backing a coaches decision and not the local FB hero fans choice. If Boyle was going to be a big surprise he had spring and summer to show it - I wish he could have kept the redshirt but that is out of play at this point. If and when he comes in I will be hoping and cheering for him and the team and if he wins the job great - but there is nothing that is stated from coaches or media that he will surprise - I pray they are all wrong and he goes 3 for 3 for 3 TD's.

I disagree that Boyle is not mobile. I watched him play a number of times in high school and he could ran pretty well, but preferred to stay in the pocket. He was a gunslinger in high school and my hope is more discipline which I bet he is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LMAO.

It was a joke. Lighten up.

I apologize for all the negativity displayed while predicting 8-5, sticking with 6-6, and saying repeatedly that this team has more talent than people are giving it credit for. I apologize for saying that you can see Diaco is laying a foundation for a solid program and praising him for getting the players to buy in so quickly.

I apologize for judging our QB situation not just based on the performance of one player, but the performance of both players, and the belief that Diaco has decided on the current starter because that gives us the best chance to win now and/or is best for the program long term.

God forbid I mock the one stupid thing Diaco says because I'd like to find some humor in our current situation.

I thought the negativity stemmed from what we see on the field, from conference realignment, growling dogs on third downs, and mediocre attendance. Self awareness? I never thought I was so important I could drive this board to so much negativity. I've lived in New England my entire life. I thought complaining was what we did best. Jimmy and I driving it? Please.

This board spent years cutting down our own program by belittling our Fiesta Bowl appearance and conference championships. Some of our own fans called us the worst BCS team ever and refused to acknowledge us as conference champions because we were "co-champs" and they didn't like the head coach.

Forgive me if I'm self aware enough to know that there will be complaining and negativity on this board, from this fanbase, for anything less than 13-0. Even then, someone would probably say "yeah but..."

To the OP - which game did PP start Boyle in?

You hit on a hilarious aspect of the Boneyard. The idea that what people post here matters.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This comment is so ironic, coming from Mrs. Whitmer...
Difference being Mr Diaco agrees with Mrs Whitmer and not Mrs Boyle

Reaction Score
I disagree that Boyle is not mobile. I watched him play a number of times in high school and he could ran pretty well, but preferred to stay in the pocket. He was a gunslinger in high school and my hope is more discipline which I bet he is.

+1 Diaco said he was fast enough to run out of the pocket... Bonehead did you read the article where HCBD talks about Tim Boyle? I believe you and BD are talking about 2 different Tim Boyle's.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are we really arguing about whether Diaco prefers Davis or Boyle?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
+1 Diaco said he was fast enough to run out of the pocket... Bonehead did you read the article where HCBD talks about Tim Boyle? I believe you and BD are talking about 2 different Tim Boyle's.

yeah - the same one where he said he wanted to redshirt him?

Reaction Score

Tim Boyle did show out in spring;

"QB Boyle Looks Good

It could be pretty scary for the quarterback position, too. The guy who started, Casey Cochran (10 of 20, 91 yards, one interception), wasn't as sharp as he is capable of being. Chandler Whitmer (19 of 26, 163 yards, 1 TD), who started the first five games of the 2013 season, was the most productive and he wasn't as careless with the ball, but he could still be more careful. Tim Boyle (7 of 14, 97 yards) probably looked the best."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tball-blue-white-0413-20140412,0,664187.story

Bonehead

Reaction Score
For the D#mn future you don't get that?

Yes - thats why I dont think he should play unless injury. Stick with the plan. He can get plenty of reps at practice.

But now that plan has changed and he is getting minimal snaps - why not 51/49?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the decision to RS Boyle this year was done with the knowledge and opinion that he gave us the best chance to win on Saturdays then I'd want Diaco fired tomorrow.

This is where I am completely stunned by the boneyard.

Are you actually claiming that there is no way to argue that we could be better served (as a program, over the long haul) by placing a higher value in potentially adding a few more wins in 2017 than potentially adding those (likely fewer as we are transitioning a defense and rebuilding an offensive line) in 2014?

Before you answer that think of how the program's fortunes would have been different if Dan Orlovsky could have played for us in 2005.

Reaction Score
Yes - thats why I dont think he should play unless injury. Stick with the plan. He can get plenty of reps at practice.

But now that plan has changed and he is getting minimal snaps - why not 51/49?

BD is not going to just throw Boyle into the fire, he's going to ease him in the game. If Tim get's the hot arm the snaps will change during the game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Anyone who makes hard and fast conclusions about Boyle's ability based off of last year is just off base. There are multitudes of reasons for this. He was bad last year, no doubt, but that in no way represents his ceiling or potential for growth.

That said - he competed this year, new staff, and the decision was made that he needed more time. CC and CW gave us a better chance to win.

All of that is out the window now.

I see it week to week. If CW gives us the best chance this week... Ok. If he gets hurt or plays himself out of a role... Then this becomes on the job training for Boyle who can hopefully put it to good use next year. I'm not expecting miracles this year regardless.

Reaction Score
I'm totally confused. Weren't you the one who questioned the coaches for splitting the duties between Whitmer and Cochran?

I don't think the premise here is preposterous.

A true freshman QB 1 month into college has a load of growing to do. Putting him out there is throwing him to the wolves.

Whether he's grown or not in the last 12 months is another story entirely.

I don't understand your confusion? What does thinking CC should have been on the field all the time have to do with assuming that Whitmer is more ready to play than Boyle based on the fact that he was and is ahead of Boyle on the depth chart?

Reaction Score
Well Boyle get to prove how much he's learned starting Saturday. I hope he outplays Whitmer and becomes the starter going forward. Wish him the best of luck, Uconn Nation is behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom