The all things Boyle Merged Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The all things Boyle Merged Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess that was mistake. Using Dan as an example.

But ORlovsky played what 6 games in his freshmen season? I don't remember exactly. But I don't remember ever feeling the same way I did about ORlovsky as a freshmen, that I did about Boyle last season. It was repeatedly - for me - with Boyle - "come on kid, why are you throwing that?" It got worse instead of better during his couple of games. I don't remember that from Dan O at all. Dan progressively got better, clearly.

Look, we can argue till the cows come home. No right or wrong out here in the interwebs. The one thing that I can't wrap my head around is the 2 QB system. I really don't care actually who does it, as long as the QB position is productive, I just think it's more difficult to get consistent production when you're rotating at that position, rather than playing one QB regularly.

The 2 quarterback system: There we agree. The fundamental difference is player development. You want to go with the veteran, hoping that he wins enough games to get UConn back into a bowl. I feel that, with a new coach implementing a new system, & in the interest of player development, Boyle is the way to go. If Coach D. burns Boyle's redshirt, he should commit to him as the starter.

Reaction Score
This guy has shown nothing and your still riding Whitmer.... Smh! the kid hasn't shown anything, but inaccuracy, inconsistency, Interceptions, happy feet, running into sacks, but yet you defend him because he had 29 yards rushing against SB... Wow!

I expect to see Boyle, and I hope he plays better than Whitmer has. I just don't expect it.

I watched every single snap of the Stony Brook game, and I saw a lot more than happy feet and inaccuracy. I saw things from other players that made his inaccuracy look worse than it really was. I've mentioned them. Some people saw it too, some people didn't.

If someone argues that he shouldn't play because his completion percentage is below 50% it is fair to point out the fact his career completion percentage is actually above 50%.

If someone says he has happy feet, it's fair to address the fact that not every decision to take off and run was a bad one.

I'm defending him because he isn't getting a lot of help, and because I saw some correctable things. I'm defending him because he's been through a lot at UConn and he came back when he didn't have to, and thank GOD he did. If he hadn't, we'd have Boyle and who? So I give him a little more rope than others. But the alternative to Whitmer is hardly a proven commodity. You can say "just watch". Well I did watch. And what I saw was worse than Whitmer. Far worse. Below 50% completion, 0 Tds, 8 INTs, and a QB rating 40 points worse. So this chest thumping by those who think Boyle is obviously the way to go is really based on nothing but blind faith.

Bottom line: This team has a lot to fix on offense. The QB is like the coach. Too much blame when things go wrong, and too much credit when they go right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Far from Mrs Boyle...do I know the kid...yes. Do I think hes better then Whitmer...yes. Would I go out on a limb and say he will be the best QB in the American next year...yes. My overall point is this...he wasn't red shirted based on ability...there were factors such as future depth...learning curve..etc. But now all that is out the Window meaning if hes gonna burn the shirt...might as well give him the reigns and start getting some continuity in the offense.

Reaction Score
I don't think Boyle has to be worse than Whitmer for Diaco choosing to sit him at the beginning of the year. IMO, even if he just equal to or a little bit better, Diaco still sits him to keep the red shirt and have a better line of QBs for the future years. If Diaco think that Boyle being better than Whitmer might win him an extra game, he still sits him. The move was purely strategic for future years so we always had a few QBs in line.

Reaction Score
I really don't know what we will see when Boyle is inserted into or starts a game. I hope all of his skills have improved including his reads and decision-making. This is not a great team to be "thrown into the fire" because we have so many problems on offense. Even very skilled QB's might have problems given that the running game is not productive and our WR's are dropping passes. I think the coaches are going to try to ease him into this as much as they can to avoid having a situation like last year reoccur and have him lose all confidence altogether. It's really important that we try to support the team and cheer for whoever is in there without getting into who is better than who. Maybe each player will be more effective against certain teams. The coaches will play the player who is "more ready" now that the red-shirt has to be burned. That doesn't mean that Boyle won't eventually get more minutes as the season goes on or even that he might not start. But right now they have to be careful with the extremely limited QB resources we have! It's hard to believe we are again in this situation after all the off season months of having "so many" QB's even after Lagow left. If we don't fix the protection, we won't have any QB's available to take the snaps and we'll have to use the wildcat! Ugh!

Reaction Score
Only if you guys agree wedon't need to start multiple threads everyday on a topic already beaten to death (by myself and others).

Reaction Score
Would you guys agree that defending Boyle isn't nearly as ridiculous as defending Whitmer...seriously

No, I strongly disagree. If Boyle was more likely to lead us to a win this Saturday than Whitmer, the coaches would be starting him. Are the coaches infallable? Of course not. But is the smart money on them or someone who doesn't see practices and admits that he knows Boyle?

Reaction Score
I guarantee Boyle will play better than he did last year, because he couldn't play any worse. So there's that. I don't know if he'll play better than Whitmer. I didn't see anything to convince me he will. For the team's sake, I hope he does. I'll support him too.

I just want to win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think Boyle has to be worse than Whitmer for Diaco choosing to sit him at the beginning of the year. IMO, even if he just equal to or a little bit better, Diaco still sits him to keep the red shirt and have a better line of QBs for the future years. If Diaco think that Boyle being better than Whitmer might win him an extra game, he still sits him. The move was purely strategic for future years so we always had a few QBs in line.

^^^^^This. I think Cochran was the starter. Whitmer adds mobility and was the backup. Boyle, he's the future franchise QB, and I think Diaco knows he has challenges winning this year, and wants an extra year of Boyle. But now the Red Shirt has to come off and I will not be surprised at all if Boyle is the better quarterback right now.

Reaction Score
No, I strongly disagree. If Boyle was more likely to lead us to a win this Saturday than Whitmer, the coaches would be starting him. Are the coaches infallable? Of course not. But is the smart money on them or someone who doesn't see practices and admits that he knows Boyle?

This is far too rational for the Boneyard biz.

Reaction Score
If Boyle is the better QB right now he should start. I believe the fact he isn't starting means he isn't the better QB right now. He could be by the end of the year. Both of them can improve within the year. Hopefully they both do.

Reaction Score
The right thing to do is to ease the transition to TB. The rough stretch last year will help Boyle when he is sent out there this year. It was a tough experience but he got 4 starts and was strong enough to still be standing and ready to give it another shot. Chandler should start against Boise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Boyle is the better QB right now he should start. I believe the fact he isn't starting means he isn't the better QB right now. He could be by the end of the year. Both of them can improve within the year. Hopefully they both do.

Can't argue with most of this. But I don't think a 5th year senior has much room for improvement. I also take to heart the words of the coaches which suggest that Boyle is physically the better QB (including Cochran) but that he lacks experience and struggles in the mental aspects of the game at this level. It is therefore my hope and belief that it will click for him...and when it does, he'll be the better QB. That could happen Saturday, it could happen in November.

Reaction Score
Can't argue with most of this. But I don't think a 5th year senior has much room for improvement. I also take to heart the words of the coaches which suggest that Boyle is physically the better QB (including Cochran) but that he lacks experience and struggles in the mental aspects of the game at this level. It is therefore my hope and belief that it will click for him...and when it does, he'll be the better QB. That could happen Saturday, it could happen in November.

A 5th year senior playing for his 5th Offensive Coordinator.

Players can and do improve on different schedules typically related to better coaching.

If 5th year seniors didn't have much room for improvement, the NFL wouldn't be so popular.

Reaction Score
Far from Mrs Boyle...do I know the kid...yes. Do I think hes better then Whitmer...yes. Would I go out on a limb and say he will be the best QB in the American next year...yes. My overall point is this...he wasn't red shirted based on ability...there were factors such as future depth...learning curve..etc. But now all that is out the Window meaning if hes gonna burn the shirt...might as well give him the reigns and start getting some continuity in the offense.

If the decision to RS Boyle this year was done with the knowledge and opinion that he gave us the best chance to win on Saturdays then I'd want Diaco fired tomorrow.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
^^^^^This. I think Cochran was the starter. Whitmer adds mobility and was the backup. Boyle, he's the future franchise QB, and I think Diaco knows he has challenges winning this year, and wants an extra year of Boyle. But now the Red Shirt has to come off and I will not be surprised at all if Boyle is the better quarterback right now.

I thought Davis was the future franchise QB? That is the one guy Diaco recruited.

Reaction Score

Exactly! +1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger