That was basically awful | Page 4 | The Boneyard

That was basically awful

Reaction Score
Calhoun started from nothing, but it is far from accurate to say he had dominant teams by year 4 (implying continuously after that).

Years 5-7 were either middling seeds or an NIT bid. The Dream Season looked like a fluke.

We didn't have routinely dominant teams until Year 8 for JC.

And? Calhoun won, Hurley hasn't. The record matters. Everything else is fluff and excuses.

Reaction Score
But that's a different point than what he's replying to. No Sweet 16's or tournament wins next year should absolutely result in Hurley's seat getting warm. But the idea of firing him after next year is ludicrous
This is fair.

He has to at least get to round 2 with his guys and prove that the lights aren't too bright or the stage isn't too big.

Another 1st round loss (or worse) next year and he should be put on notice for 2024.

Reaction Score
But that's a different point than what he's replying to. No Sweet 16's or tournament wins next year should absolutely result in Hurley's seat getting warm. But the idea of firing him after next year is ludicrous
If he loses like that again next year he better be gone

Reaction Score
How many bunnies did Hurley miss last night? How many turnovers did he have? Last night wasn't about coaching, it was about execution. The boys on the floor did a really bad job at executing last night.
So does Hurley get credit when they make the bunnies and have fewer turnovers? You’re right, this loss had nothing to do with coaching. Please. When they win give the coach credit, when they lose, it’s the players fault.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
All you needed to know about NMSU was Teddy Allen & Teddy Allen. Preparing for them should have taken 10 minutes. Box/double Allen. DH let him look like Jordan. In 4 years I haven't seen anything that can change my mind. 2-4 in NCAAs? DH chokes in big games, he's a decent coach but wandering around above his pay grade. This is not news.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I wish we'd spent more time developing the young'uns on the court and I personally wasn't all that optimistic about making a deep run -- our defense can be elite but stringing together a bunch of decent offensive games was always gonna be tough, especially without an alpha -- but it's tough to knock Hurley for playing his best players and trying to win.

Reaction Score
Bingo - Calhoun had absolutely loaded teams that fell short - If social media existed back then, people would have been calling for him to be canned after choking against Florida, or Miss St, or the every 3-4 years of missing the tourney, etc.
If social media existed back then the way it does now Calhoun would have been ticked off by our fanbase after 94, 95, 96 and he probably would have bolted and flipped us the bird on the way out.

Reaction Score
How many bunnies did Hurley miss last night? How many turnovers did he have? Last night wasn't about coaching, it was about execution. The boys on the floor did a really bad job at executing last night.
You think last night was about execution?? Exactly what game plan we were not "executing"?? Letting a guy go off for 37 without doing anything about it. Coming out with ZERO game plan on offense. That was the plan?

Reaction Score
If social media existed back then the way it does now Calhoun would have been ticked off by our fanbase after 94, 95, 96 and he probably would have bolted and flipped us the bird on the way out.
Yep, that too

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wish we'd spent more time developing the young'uns on the court and I personally wasn't all that optimistic about making a deep run -- our defense can be elite but stringing together a bunch of decent offensive games was always gonna be tough, especially without an alpha -- but it's tough to knock Hurley for playing his best players and trying to win.

This is a good summation of what I feel.

Reaction Score
Our talent was overrated. If your 4 can’t shoot 3s and your guards can’t beat their man off the dribble the offense gets ugly.

Our starting guards were recruited to Howard and URI. We have no first round picks, maybe a couple second rounders?

Not saying a lot of this isn’t on Hurley, but our team had serious deficiencies that can be solved through getting better talent.
Unless you think we’re going to start recruiting like Duke, the talent isn’t getting much better than three 5th year seniors, another 4th year senior and a roster chock full of Top 75 recruits. Yes, our seniors all had weaknesses as most players do, but three were very good and experienced players (Cole, Martin, Whaley) that would have started for most BE teams.

We may recruit players that have different strengths but this is the pool we’re going to be pulling from for the foreseeable future. Hurley needs to do more with it.

Reaction Score
A lot of ??? going into next season. We are losing a lot of production with Cole, Martin, Whaley, and Polley. I think Hurley has no choice but to use the portal this off season to fill in some of the holes. This will be an interesting off season.

Reaction Score
Unless you think we’re going to start recruiting like Duke, the talent isn’t getting much better than three 5th year seniors, another 4th year senior and a roster chock full of Top 75 recruits. Yes, our seniors all had weaknesses as most players do, but three were very good and experienced players (Cole, Martin, Whaley) that would have started for most BE teams.

We may recruit players that have different strengths but this is the pool we’re going to be pulling from for the foreseeable future. Hurley needs to do more with it.
Sanogo
Jackson
Hawkins
Akok
Samson
Diggins

That is this year's Top 75 talent.

One has never been the same after tearing his Achilles
One didn't play because he was concussed.
Two have been stapled to the bench as freshmen.

So they really only played 2 Top 75 players.

I like the four seniors. But the talent in the next two years is about to be on a very different level than what we have now.

Reaction Score
Is that true? If not you should not say it
Why would I just make something like that up?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do not understand why coach did not even try a box and one zone with one guy in Allen's shorts, following him everywhere and denying him the ball, cutting him off in drive, etc...
At least it would have been something different because nothing else was working... 37 points? Really? So much for the great Husky defense.
You know most coaches would. He’s arrogant and believes in his method over all others. It’s been his problem since he got here. It worked at Wagner, and URI. It doesn’t work when you are playing at this level. You have to be able to play different styles. You have to adapt to the players you have, not force them to adapt to your style of play.

It’s a lesson he needs to learn right now because he recruited guys who cannot play in his defense.

Reaction Score
How many 1st and 2nd round picks did New Mexico State have? And all those guys were recruited to New Mexico State. We had better talent last night and lost
We have more guys highly ranked out of high school than New Mexico State. That part is true. However, in reality watching the game, there was no talent disparity between the two teams.

NMSU players(guards and bigs) had better footspeed than our guys. Athleticism was equal between the teams. NSMU also had better shooting with multiple players looking a threat to score from deep, and they had the best player on the court in teddy Allen.

Hurley has been a good recruiter, but looking at our players and their actual performance does not equal great recruiter. We do not have great talent.

However, we had enough to win the game last night, and that's coaching or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
Hurley loyal to a fault for sure. Yeah wasted year for Diggins and Samson....have no idea what they are. Ajax progressed as well not just Sanogo but he needs to get way more aggressive to basket.

I hope Karaban ready to contribute year 1 and hope DH is looking for another guard in portal. Not expecting much from Clinigan in year 1 but he needs to get some mins.
Let’s hope for the best. Hey, maybe Clingan is the next Jeff Ruland. One can only hope, Lol. At the very least I hope Hurley plays him as much as possible.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I don't agree with this at all.

We are aiming for -- and landing -- much more talented players.

Those are good, experienced players who would've been nice complementary players on our title teams and who, I expect, would be nice complementary players on our teams going forward.

Reaction Score
Why would I just make something like that up?

And not just once.. WVU too.. and another if memory serves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Calhoun had to get over a hump with a program that had a starting 5 of cow farmers. He also had dominant teams by year 4. These situations are not comparable.
That’s not true at all. Calhoun inherited Cliff Robinson, who is better than anybody who has been at UConn while Hurley was here. Phil Gamble was pretty good too. He or Dom recruited Tate and Pikiell. In Calhoun’s 2nd season, Cliff averaged 17.9 and Phil 15, to lead the team by a big margin. Both Perno’s guys.

Reaction Score

Our main rotation had 2 top 100 recruits in it.

That will not produce dominant teams, we are recruiting better already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom