That was basically awful | The Boneyard

That was basically awful

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That was garbage.

This season really was just a black hole. For some reason, we went “win now” on a group of players who weren’t good enough to win now. Hawkins and especially Diggins and Samson were basically set back because we somehow thought the super seniors were good enough to do more than this. We did not advance the program much this season…for example, who’s the point guard next season? I dunno.

Guys like Polley and Whaley deserve our eternal thanks for being the bridge to get us from the abyss of Kevin Ollie to the present day..that said, we relied too much on older players who just had very hard ceilings.

Hurley has to start doing more than watching the games. How many times did NMSU score out of a time out? How many times did we? How many times did we look completely out of sync and call a time out to reorganize? Nothing was working and the answer was, “let’s do more of it.” When Whaley started thinking he was Stephon Curry, Hurley should have thrown himself on the floor to stop it. Love the heart, but you’re open for a reason, kiddo.

On that…more than halfway through the second half, we had one layup. Sanogo did not make one, Martin did not make one, Whaley did not make one….only the smallest guy on the floor had one. The bigs were busy showing off their jumpshot. NMSU is in the bonus after like eight minutes and our bigs are still firing from a distance…why?

All in all, this was pure crap. Bad effort, bad coaching, bad execution. Zero upside.

We advanced nothing this year outside of Sanogo. Next year, Hurley is going to have to a) get more out of players like Jackson, b) develop freshmen, and c) establish a bench and then use it. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
That was garbage.

This season really was just a black hole. For some reason, we went “win now” on a group of players who weren’t good enough to win now. Hawkins and especially Diggins and Samson were basically set back because we somehow thought the super seniors were good enough to do more than this. We did not advance the program much this season…for example, who’s the point guard next season? I dunno.

Guys like Polley and Whaley deserve our eternal thanks for being the bridge to get us from the abyss of Kevin Ollie to the present day..that said, we relied too much on older players who just had very hard ceilings.

Hurley has to start doing more than watching the games. How many times did NMSU score out of a time out? How many times did we? How many times did we look completely out of sync and call a time out to reorganize? Nothing was working and the answer was, “let’s do more of it.” When Whaley started thinking he was Stephon Curry, Hurley should have thrown himself on the floor to stop it. Love the heart, but you’re open for a reason, kiddo.

On that…more than halfway through the second half, we had one layup. Sanogo did not make one, Martin did not make one, Whaley did not make one….only the smallest guy on the floor had one. The bigs were busy showing off their jumpshot. NMSU is in the bonus after like eight minutes and our bigs are still firing from a distance…why?

All in all, this was pure crap. Bad effort, bad coaching, bad execution. Zero upside.

We advanced nothing this year outside of Sanogo. Next year, Hurley is going to have to a) get more out of players like Jackson, b) develop freshmen, and c) establish a bench and then use it. We’ll see.
Undisciplined coaches have undisciplined players.

Reaction Score
Hurley loyal to a fault for sure. Yeah wasted year for Diggins and Samson....have no idea what they are. Ajax progressed as well not just Sanogo but he needs to get way more aggressive to basket.

I hope Karaban ready to contribute year 1 and hope DH is looking for another guard in portal. Not expecting much from Clinigan in year 1 but he needs to get some mins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hawkins and especially Diggins and Samson were basically set back because we somehow thought the super seniors were good enough to do more than this. We did not advance the program much this season…for example, who’s the point guard next season? I dunno.

Players improve via practice. (Nova does it all the time) Doubtful Diggins or Samson would be noticeably better next year if they received more playing time this year. What is probable is that we would have fewer wins. I have no problem with Hurley trying to win as many games as he can by playing the best players available. I don't see anyone here arguing they don't want Cole or Martin back next year because they want to build for 2024.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Players improve via practice. Doubtful Diggins or Samson would be noticeably better next year if they received more playing time this year. I have no problem with Hurley trying to win as many games as he can by playing the best players available. I don't see anyone here arguing they don't want Cole or Martin back next year because they want to build for 2024.

If you believe that players simply get better in practice and not in games, you’re wasting your time here.

Reaction Score
If you believe that players simply get better in practice and not in games, you’re wasting your time here.

The goal this year was to win as many games as possible, get a high seed and go on a run. You are Monday morning quarterbacking.

Most improvement is via practice, it's why MLB has minor leagues. Minor league games are essentially practice games and i'm certain Hurley's practices are intense and simulate real games.

Reaction Score
I do not understand why coach did not even try a box and one zone with one guy in Allen's shorts, following him everywhere and denying him the ball, cutting him off in drive, etc...
At least it would have been something different because nothing else was working... 37 points? Really? So much for the great Husky defense.

Reaction Score
'That made my head hurt.

Well it shouldn't, It wasn't that long ago that freshman never played in real games yet they improved significantly going into their sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Hurley loyal to a fault for sure. Yeah wasted year for Diggins and Samson....have no idea what they are. Ajax progressed as well not just Sanogo but he needs to get way more aggressive to basket.

I hope Karaban ready to contribute year 1 and hope DH is looking for another guard in portal. Not expecting much from Clinigan in year 1 but he needs to get some mins.
I watched one play tonight and I will never GM forget it. It sums up what I been saying all season. I watched Whaley renter a post pass to Sanogo. He then ran into the paint dragging his man to Sanogo. Sanogo tried to pass him the ball cause he realized he was doubled so fast. The thing that blew my mind was, why in the heck would you run right into the paint dragging your man to clutter the paint up? It was just another example of how they shouldn’t even be on the floor playing together much. Akok would had just stayed out, and been ready for a wide open 3 which he can actually shoot with confidence. Hurley dropped the ball bad this year. He never made adjustments.

Reaction Score
That was garbage.

Sacrifice this year to possibly win next year. No thanks.

Reaction Score
I do not understand why coach did not even try a box and one zone with one guy in Allen's shorts, following him everywhere and denying him the ball, cutting him off in drive, etc...
At least it would have been something different because nothing else was working... 37 points? Really? So much for the great Husky defense.
You can’t try something you don’t practice.

Reaction Score
That was garbage.

Well we did get Hawkins feet wet. LOL!

Reaction Score
I watched one play tonight and I will never GM forget it. It sums up what I been saying all season. I watched Whaley renter a post pass to Sanogo. He then ran into the paint dragging his man to Sanogo. Sanogo tried to pass him the ball cause he realized he was doubled so fast. The thing that blew my mind was, why in the heck would you run right into the paint dragging your man to clutter the paint up? It was just another example of how they shouldn’t even be on the floor playing together much. Akok would had just stayed out, and been ready for a wide open 3 which he can actually shoot with confidence. Hurley dropped the ball bad this year. He never made adjustments.
Haha, yeah I said the exact same thing in another post. Why make a great post pass only to drag your man into the lane and clog it for Sanogo. What was the point of that pass? LOL!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sacrifice this year to possibly win next year. No thanks.
How’d this year go?

Ping me when
The goal this year was to win as many games as possible, get a high seed and go on a run. You are Monday morning quarterbacking.

Most improvement is via practice, it's why MLB has minor leagues. Minor league games are essentially practice games and i'm certain Hurley's practices are intense and simulate real games.

I said the same things in November, so nah. And we did not get a high seed, we did not go on a run and we threw up on our shoes whenever hardware was on the line.

Minor league games are games. Sitting on a bench for a year looking at the back of Danny Hurley’s head is not going to help Diggins or Johnson or Springs…it’s just pissing away a year of their college career.

Reaction Score
That was garbage.

Jackson is one of my favorite players but he's not a shooting guard or point guard. He has no jump shot. We have to have 2 guards that can handle and get their own shots. That also gives Sanogo some room. Hurley has to get that talent soon.

Reaction Score
That was garbage.

The " nothing is working so let's do more of it" is what gets me. I just want to see adjustments. Maybe they don't work and Allen still drops 40 and we lose. But coaching isn't play the starters 38 minutes and then scream TRY HARDER. We have to have a zone in our back pocket, a different pick and roll coverage... whatever.

Same thing on offense. No creativity. No options after the play breaks down. Guys play too tight. Maybe it's the players reacting to coach or maybe it's bad recruiting. Or something else. Regardless, the players are who they are. You can't change that mid-season. Our coach could have chosen to be better and didn't

I do think that Jackson was a plus this season... outside him and Sanogo we have some substantial concerns though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was garbage.

Ollie never had the Big East to recruit with and Ollie never lost a tournament game like this, so we can't pin this on Ollie.

UConn has two first team All Big East players, and a pretty good complement around them. This team has some talent but Hurley is a mediocre high school coach on gameday. That is enough to win a lot of games in the regular season with the talent he has, but in a win-or-go-home against solid D1 coach that has a week to prepare for UConn, Hurley is in trouble.

This is not going to get better. This season is the apex of Hurley, not the next step in his progression.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom