That was basically awful | Page 7 | The Boneyard

That was basically awful

Reaction Score
actually, some are being paid to be here now.

You wanna respond to the rest of my post? Or ignore them like the rest? I'm beginning to expect you're ignoring the responses that call you out for a reason... hmm...

Reaction Score
And? Everyone knows this information.

It's interesting how you conveniently cut out the part of my post where I said "and one of the worst close game records of any high major coach on the country"... creating a strawman by ignoring half my post is all I need to know about how strong your argument is.

If the body of evidence was only 2 NCAA tournaments I wouldn't complain nearly this much. It is MUCH more than Marylabd and NMSU.
No strawman. You said specifically hasn't won a tournament game in 4 years. Context is important. Should have just said the second part

Reaction Score
No strawman. You said specifically hasn't won a tournament game in 4 years. Context is important. Should have just said the second part

Good grief. You people are as awful as the one's saying Hurley should be fired.

Reaction Score
It means Hurley apologists are just as insufferable as the people who want to fire him already. I thought that was obvious
Who's making up strawman now, suddenly I'm an apologist

Reaction Score
Ollie never had the Big East to recruit with and Ollie never lost a tournament game like this, so we can't pin this on Ollie.

UConn has two first team All Big East players, and a pretty good complement around them. This team has some talent but Hurley is a mediocre high school coach on gameday. That is enough to win a lot of games in the regular season with the talent he has, but in a win-or-go-home against solid D1 coach that has a week to prepare for UConn, Hurley is in trouble.

This is not going to get better. This season is the apex of Hurley, not the next step in his progression.
Two guys who committed to Ollie had great seasons in Texas and are playing in the second round this season. Just saying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our upperclassmen didn't have the clutch gene. This year was a bit of an anomaly with all of the super seniors and what not. We continue to increase out talent level. I wish we won but I'm still buying tickets next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie never had the Big East to recruit with and Ollie never lost a tournament game like this, so we can't pin this on Ollie.

UConn has two first team All Big East players, and a pretty good complement around them. This team has some talent but Hurley is a mediocre high school coach on gameday. That is enough to win a lot of games in the regular season with the talent he has, but in a win-or-go-home against solid D1 coach that has a week to prepare for UConn, Hurley is in trouble.

This is not going to get better. This season is the apex of Hurley, not the next step in his progression.

Ollie sucked ass, barely showed up for work and left the program for dead.

So go pound sand.

Reaction Score
So does Hurley get credit when they make the bunnies and have fewer turnovers? You’re right, this loss had nothing to do with coaching. Please. When they win give the coach credit, when they lose, it’s the players fault.
Actually, it's been the opposite of that pretty much all year on here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That was garbage.

This season really was just a black hole. For some reason, we went “win now” on a group of players who weren’t good enough to win now. Hawkins and especially Diggins and Samson were basically set back because we somehow thought the super seniors were good enough to do more than this. We did not advance the program much this season…for example, who’s the point guard next season? I dunno.

Guys like Polley and Whaley deserve our eternal thanks for being the bridge to get us from the abyss of Kevin Ollie to the present day..that said, we relied too much on older players who just had very hard ceilings.

Hurley has to start doing more than watching the games. How many times did NMSU score out of a time out? How many times did we? How many times did we look completely out of sync and call a time out to reorganize? Nothing was working and the answer was, “let’s do more of it.” When Whaley started thinking he was Stephon Curry, Hurley should have thrown himself on the floor to stop it. Love the heart, but you’re open for a reason, kiddo.

On that…more than halfway through the second half, we had one layup. Sanogo did not make one, Martin did not make one, Whaley did not make one….only the smallest guy on the floor had one. The bigs were busy showing off their jumpshot. NMSU is in the bonus after like eight minutes and our bigs are still firing from a distance…why?

All in all, this was pure crap. Bad effort, bad coaching, bad execution. Zero upside.

We advanced nothing this year outside of Sanogo. Next year, Hurley is going to have to a) get more out of players like Jackson, b) develop freshmen, and c) establish a bench and then use it. We’ll see.
1000000% agree. Said this way better than I could.

Cole and Tyrese were good, but not good enough to stop the developments of Gaffney, Hawkins, and the young guys. Now guys are barking for more transfers that’ll basically do the same thing.

Reaction Score
He got most of the crazy antics out of the way during the season. He would tear kids down to build them up and get them ready for the biggest moments. Some kids couldn't take it, the ones who could became great players and were ready for the most adverse circumstances. Calhoun and the team almost always were relaxed during tournament time because of it.

There doesn't seem much rhyme or reason to Hurley's craziness, the players aren't worried about him calling a timeout and pulling them all out of the game to get yelled at because Hurley doesn't take players out for screwing up and he doesn't use his timeouts. They all know who is going to play and exactly how much they're going to play.

Last night was really strange because Hurley and the players didn't look interested in the game from the very start. There were a few times Calhoun had teams like that, most notably the super individually talented team that got blown out in the first round by Iowa State but that team was a mess all season long and you never knew if they would show up. I didn't expect this team to not show up in the first round because they played really hard all season.
That’s a crazy take. We can tell watching on tv if “the players looked interested from the start”? Or ”didn’t show up”?They missed chippies, and Allen went berserk for 37, often double teamed. They shot 65% from 3. In the next game Allen went for 12 points, 2-6 from 3. Our defense was good. They hit shots well above their normal 32% 3 point average. It happens.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It was his divorce from Bazz that exposed him.

Nah it took longer than that. He made the tourney in 16 and won a first round NCAA 8-9 game 2 years post Bazz, no calhoun players. Then, by all standard measures, had a top 5 recruiting class come in. I know that he was already exhibiting some bad traits by then, but after 16 2nd round exit we had every reason to be optimistic going into 16-17 season. THAT was the season where it ALL fell apart. Culminating with 17 mass exodus. That was when you finally knew something was severely amiss.

Reaction Score
Nah it took longer than that. He made the tourney in 16 and won a first round NCAA 8-9 game 2 years post Bazz, no calhoun players. Then, by all standard measures, had a top 5 recruiting class come in. I know that he was already exhibiting some bad traits by then, but after 16 2nd round exit we had every reason to be optimistic going into 16-17 season. THAT was the season where it ALL fell apart. Culminating with 17 mass exodus. That was when you finally knew something was severely amiss.
It was also the year that started out with 2 devastating injuries and a nagging issue - by Nov 29th Gilbert, Larrier and Diarra were out for the season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1000000% agree. Said this way better than I could.

Cole and Tyrese were good, but not good enough to stop the developments of Gaffney, Hawkins, and the young guys. Now guys are barking for more transfers that’ll basically do the same thing.

UConn basketball and college basketball in general does not and should not mirror the MLB farm system. This seems crazy to need to point this out. It's become a year to year sport.

The idea we should have sacrificed 21-22 to develop guys who clearly weren't ready in lieu of the guys who got us into the tournament is simply a non starter.

Reaction Score
I sure hope you are wrong by I fear you are not

This team has some talent but Hurley is a mediocre high school coach on gameday.
He is a one dimensional coach. Only plays one way and when that doesn’t work because of an opposing game-plan or off day by a player, his only solution is play harder. Good coaches adjust.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Disagree. Those post-Bazz teams had no offense to speak of. Pretty much whoever had the ball when it crossed mid-court was taking the shot. It was excruciating to watch.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
UConn basketball and college basketball in general does not and should not mirror the MLB farm system. This seems crazy to need to point this out. It's become a year to year sport.

The idea we should have sacrificed 21-22 to develop guys who clearly weren't ready in lieu of the guys who got us into the tournament is simply a non starter.
I'm honestly not even all the way sure that we wouldn't have been just fine to be honest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom