That was basically awful | Page 5 | The Boneyard

That was basically awful

Reaction Score
Why would I just make something like that up?

Many boneyarders have a habit of talking BS. Thanks for not being one of them.

Reaction Score
How many 1st and 2nd round picks did New Mexico State have? And all those guys were recruited to New Mexico State. We had better talent last night and lost
It’s been mentioned many times, they shot lights out.

We are better than them, but when you lack elite talent you’re more prone to getting upset.

Reaction Score
Calhoun had to get over a hump with a program that had a starting 5 of cow farmers. He also had dominant teams by year 4. These situations are not comparable.
Calhoun had Chris Smith in the beginning, not sure who Hurley's comparable is or will be. I actually thought Diggins would be capable of starting something great with 4 years of work.

I'm not giving up on Diggins and am discarding his freshman performance. Either way Hurley needs to find his Chris Smith (program lifter).

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The thing about second guessing the game plan with seniors/freshmen is you don't know until it happens. In 2014 when we were struggling there were people on here saying we should play the young guys more since this group was going nowhere. Absent a crazy finish against St. Joe's, we would have said the same thing about that group. But that's not what happened. Weird things can't be predicted, and I am not going to be mad at the staff for thinking this group had a chance to do something.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why would I just make something like that up?

He should be in prison. I am all for second chances but he didn’t get in a bar fight, steal a taco from taco truck, or have a small amount of coke on him; he broke into a woman’s place, strangled her, and robbed her.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
That was garbage.

This season really was just a black hole. For some reason, we went “win now” on a group of players who weren’t good enough to win now. Hawkins and especially Diggins and Samson were basically set back because we somehow thought the super seniors were good enough to do more than this. We did not advance the program much this season…for example, who’s the point guard next season? I dunno.

Guys like Polley and Whaley deserve our eternal thanks for being the bridge to get us from the abyss of Kevin Ollie to the present day..that said, we relied too much on older players who just had very hard ceilings.

Hurley has to start doing more than watching the games. How many times did NMSU score out of a time out? How many times did we? How many times did we look completely out of sync and call a time out to reorganize? Nothing was working and the answer was, “let’s do more of it.” When Whaley started thinking he was Stephon Curry, Hurley should have thrown himself on the floor to stop it. Love the heart, but you’re open for a reason, kiddo.

On that…more than halfway through the second half, we had one layup. Sanogo did not make one, Martin did not make one, Whaley did not make one….only the smallest guy on the floor had one. The bigs were busy showing off their jumpshot. NMSU is in the bonus after like eight minutes and our bigs are still firing from a distance…why?

All in all, this was pure crap. Bad effort, bad coaching, bad execution. Zero upside.

We advanced nothing this year outside of Sanogo. Next year, Hurley is going to have to a) get more out of players like Jackson, b) develop freshmen, and c) establish a bench and then use it. We’ll see.
And this is how you get 69 LIKES, folks!!!

Reaction Score
Players improve via practice. (Nova does it all the time) Doubtful Diggins or Samson would be noticeably better next year if they received more playing time this year. What is probable is that we would have fewer wins. I have no problem with Hurley trying to win as many games as he can by playing the best players available. I don't see anyone here arguing they don't want Cole or Martin back next year because they want to build for 2024.
This I mostly disagree with. A young player is supposed to be behind the veterans early on and they're supposed to struggle under the bright lights early in their careers as well. But keeping them on the bench does nothing to close that gap and nothing to get you closer to evaluating their potential. What can actually happen is they recognize the coach runs a short rotation and they accept their role as a practice player with their usefulness being defined by the advancement of the starters. Practices are always geared more towards game prep for the starters than development of your depth, but that can be taken to an extreme. Guys get stale and if they are suddenly needed you get a deer in the headlights. The sacrifice was not made to give younger guys meaningful minutes early in the season and that doesn't just hurt you down the stretch it slows your overall progress. Hopefully it does not impact player retention, but that is a possibility as well. And of course you play your best guys in big games. But the combination of failing to bring in a shooter/distributor, and not spreading out the minutes, got the starters to their potential sooner but also wore guys out and slowed our development overall. And I think we needed to get Akok lots more minutes. Maybe there was some physical reason but he never looked comfortable and his inside/outside game was missed in favor if focusing on Sanogo. Nobody gas all the answers but it's always been my philosophy to give guys more of a shot early to see what you have and keep them motivated and ready.

Reaction Score
Bingo - Calhoun had absolutely loaded teams that fell short - If social media existed back then, people would have been calling for him to be canned after choking against Florida, or Miss St, or the every 3-4 years of missing the tourney, etc.

Hurley stepped into a situation that was a dumpster fire thanks to Ollie. We are back to being relevant at the least. Last night was very frustrating for sure, but not much you can do when a 33% 3 PT shooting team hits almost 70% of their 3s, many from the parking lot. Hurley has some work to do no doubt but those who are calling for him to be canned or be on the very hot seat, a little bit of perspective is sorely needed.
Perspective. That is the key.
Perspective 1: no one on here knows more about coaching than Hurley and the staff. If you think you do,then you are the only one.
Perspective 2: the biggest one. It was sooooo bad with Ollie. Tulane, Tulsa, central Florida etc...garbage.
Perspective 3: coach cal, K and few all lost big tourney games this month. Cal lost to a 15 with better recruits than us.

Reaction Score
Our talent was overrated. If your 4 can’t shoot 3s and your guards can’t beat their man off the dribble the offense gets ugly.

Our starting guards were recruited to Howard and URI. We have no first round picks, maybe a couple second rounders?

Not saying a lot of this isn’t on Hurley, but our team had serious deficiencies that can be solved through getting better talent.
Same as last year but our Coach was in denial about it. He seems convinced that approaching the game by what worked for him as a player can be applied to an entire team. It's a limiting mindset.

Reaction Score
How many bunnies did Hurley miss last night? How many turnovers did he have? Last night wasn't about coaching, it was about execution. The boys on the floor did a really bad job at executing last night.
Exactly, pressure games affect players as much as the coach. If you can beat Nova you can beat NMSU. It wasn't as if Hurley happened to luckily coach a brilliant game in the nova contest. It's that the players were on.
If there were a blueprint for coaching -that only needs to be followed for a team with superior talent to beat a lesser team, then Calhoun, k, cal, Few, Self, izzo, wright should never ever lose to an inferior opponent. Ever. But they all have. And it Cracks me up to see BYers give coaching advice. I don't care what HS team you coached. I don't care what d3 team you coached. You are not D1 coaching material. If you were you wouldn't be duking it out in a chat room with us losers.
it was the players yesterday.

Reaction Score
The players lost that game as many others have said. This year we were missing that stud “go to” player we’ve always had in March who could take someone off the dribble or hit a 3 with the game on the line in a high pressure game (Gordon, Kemba, Shabazz, Hamilton, El-Amin, etc.). Cole was the closest thing we had to it, but he was shouldering way too much and wasn’t on the same level as these other guys. Hopefully AJax/Hawkins/Karaban/Castle can be those types of guys. AJax needs to be re-working his jump shot and dunking anything he gets inside of 10 feet. Hawkins needs to dribble a ball EVERYWHERE he goes this summer to improve that handle along with adding some weight. You can tell Hawkins has some of that Ray Allen/Richard Hamilton killer instinct in him. The great teams are the ones that have 2-3 guys that can go off for 30 points at any time. Unfortunately we didn’t have the horses this year. Need to grab a stud pg in the portal and maybe one more 2 guard who can shoot and move forward.

Reaction Score
The players lost that game as many others have said. This year we were missing that stud “go to” player we’ve always had in March who could take someone off the dribble or hit a 3 with the game on the line in a high pressure game (Gordon, Kemba, Shabazz, Hamilton, El-Amin, etc.). Cole was the closest thing we had to it, but he was shouldering way too much and wasn’t on the same level as these other guys. Hopefully AJax/Hawkins/Karaban/Castle can be those types of guys. AJax needs to be re-working his jump shot and dunking anything he gets inside of 10 feet. Hawkins needs to dribble a ball EVERYWHERE he goes this summer to improve that handle along with adding some weight. You can tell Hawkins has some of that Ray Allen/Richard Hamilton killer instinct in him. The great teams are the ones that have 2-3 guys that can go off for 30 points at any time. Unfortunately we didn’t have the horses this year. Need to grab a stud pg in the portal and maybe one more 2 guard who can shoot and move forward.
Need to pull out the old football strategy with guys who fumble too much. I think it was Tiki Barber who they made carry a football around the facility and everyone would try and strip the ball from him. Have Hawkins dribble all around campus and everyone will try to poke it away

Reaction Score
Allen single handily beat us. 37 of their 70 points. He could not be stopped. Not many adjustments can be made to stop a guy who was hitting every shot, some of which looked awful but still went in.

The kid can clearly play. He was at WVU and Wichita St. for a reason. Clear as day he has off the court problems which is why he’s at NMSU.

Reaction Score
Perspective. That is the key.
Perspective 1: no one on here knows more about coaching than Hurley and the staff. If you think you do,then you are the only one.
Perspective 2: the biggest one. It was sooooo bad with Ollie. Tulane, Tulsa, central Florida etc...garbage.
Perspective 3: coach cal, K and few all lost big tourney games this month. Cal lost to a 15 with better recruits than us.
Perspective 4: I don’t give a rats ass about other teams winning or losing games. I care about UConn and disturbing patterns HERE.

Reaction Score
Expecting more:
A top 20 ranking, a top 10 recruiting class for foreseeable future, 20 wins, a first round bye in the Big East tournament, a 5 seed, 5-6 in quad 1. If you want more than that in today's landscape, you are simply unrealisitc. Again, last night sucked. I get that. But more than ever the tournment is arbitrary. Its why Kentucky and Iowa can lose too. It happens, even when it shouldn't. To crucify our coach for one game is simply bizarre. The takes on here, including yours, is bizarre. I keep hearing criticism of Hurley. Name 1 guy who would actually come who would do better.( I even heard last nigh someone last night suggest Kimani with that half of 1 game sample set, again bizarre)
We all are entitled to our own opinions. Personally getting bounced last night the way we did was unacceptable. If we had played the whole game the way we did in the 2nd half it would be a different story. But this team came out flat and unprepared.

Reaction Score
Sure. And if AD DB fires Hurley for this level of performance, what coach in their right mind would come here? Title or bust in 5 years or your out. Thats great for a program. Your delusion is remarkable.
But it isn't title or bust, that's what you don't get.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is mid. It just is what it is. He isn’t going anywhere. Not in the near term anyways.

Reaction Score
We all are entitled to our own opinions. Personally getting bounced last night the way we did was unacceptable. If we had played the whole game the way we did in the 2nd half it would be a different story. But this team came out flat and unprepared.
I certainly understand the emotional side of this. I am pissed to. This argument holds far less weight in a purely basketball sense. Thankfully our AD has proven to be rational and not as impulsive as many on here.

Reaction Score
Calhoun started from nothing, but it is far from accurate to say he had dominant teams by year 4 (implying continuously after that).

Years 5-7 were either middling seeds or an NIT bid. The Dream Season looked like a fluke.

We didn't have routinely dominant teams until Year 8 for JC.
No but between 89-90 and 98-99
2 nit, 3 sweet 16, 2 final 8, 1 round of 32.
Seed doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.

Reaction Score
He should be in prison. I am all for second chances but he didn’t get in a bar fight, steal a taco from taco truck, or have a small amount of coke on him; he broke into a woman’s place, strangled her, and robbed her.
He was charged with petty theft, the girlfriend told cops later that night she made up she was strangled and she had no injuries and no signs she was strangled.

Abuse and anger derailed Teddy Allen’s life. Now he seeks redemption with the Huskers | Sports News | starherald.com

Reaction Score
I certainly understand the emotional side of this. I am pissed to. This argument holds far less weight in a purely basketball sense. Thankfully our AD has proven to be rational and not as impulsive as many on here.
Not emotional, just haven't seen the progression in game prep and in game coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom