That was basically awful | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That was basically awful

Reaction Score
I don't care about titles, I know how hard they are to come by but to say Hurley's rebuild is harder than Calhoun's was just fantasy. But expecting more in year 4 than what just happened is not unreasonable.
Expecting more:
A top 20 ranking, a top 10 recruiting class for foreseeable future, 20 wins, a first round bye in the Big East tournament, a 5 seed, 5-6 in quad 1. If you want more than that in today's landscape, you are simply unrealisitc. Again, last night sucked. I get that. But more than ever the tournment is arbitrary. Its why Kentucky and Iowa can lose too. It happens, even when it shouldn't. To crucify our coach for one game is simply bizarre. The takes on here, including yours, is bizarre. I keep hearing criticism of Hurley. Name 1 guy who would actually come who would do better.( I even heard last nigh someone last night suggest Kimani with that half of 1 game sample set, again bizarre)

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness are you full of crap! Calhoun’s “hump” was getting to a final four. And he took a team that was far worse than Hurley inherited and won a Big East championship in Year 4 defeating multiple future Hall of Fame coaches to do it. Then went to the Elite 8 and lost in a nail biter to Duke. Oh, and the Big East has 3 top 10 teams in those days.

Hurley’s hump is wayyy smaller. Beat a lower seed in Round 1. I would argue that getting to a Final Four is a much bigger hump. Perhaps you see it differently.
No, I dont see it differently. Maybe this being lost in context. I am not comparing Hurley to Calhoun in any way. I only brought up Calhoun as a reference to the time people on here are willing to give Hurley. We lost a bad game last night and the world is coming to an end. To me, how I see it, this season went as expected. We didn't over achieve, but we certainly didnt under achieve. To say anything else is simply untrue. Thats how I see it.

Reaction Score
Hurley recruiting two top-tier transfers is going to be the difference between him keeping his job after next season or not.
Sure. And if AD DB fires Hurley for this level of performance, what coach in their right mind would come here? Title or bust in 5 years or your out. Thats great for a program. Your delusion is remarkable.

Reaction Score
Expecting more:
A top 20 ranking, a top 10 recruiting class for foreseeable future, 20 wins, a first round bye in the Big East tournament, a 5 seed, 5-6 in quad 1. If you want more than that in today's landscape, you are simply unrealisitc. Again, last night sucked. I get that. But more than ever the tournment is arbitrary. Its why Kentucky and Iowa can lose too. It happens, even when it shouldn't. To crucify our coach for one game is simply bizarre. The takes on here, including yours, is bizarre. I keep hearing criticism of Hurley. Name 1 guy who would actually come who would do better.( I even heard last nigh someone last night suggest Kimani with that half of 1 game sample set, again bizarre)

No one with half a brain cell says Hurley is getting fired. If you're seriously happy with 0 tournament wins in 4 years, you're a pretty crappy fan.

Reaction Score
Sure. And if AD DB fires Hurley for this level of performance, what coach in their right mind would come here? Title or bust in 5 years or your out. Thats great for a program. Your delusion is remarkable.
That’s a straw man, nobody’s saying that. Get to the Sweet 16 at some point in your first five years and stop running your mouth until you do that. That seems like a fair expectation for Hurley and if not his seat should be warm at the end of next year.

Reaction Score
That’s a straw man, nobody’s saying that. Get to the Sweet 16 at some point in your first five years and stop running your mouth until you do that. That seems like a fair expectation for Hurley and if not his seat should be warm at the end of next year.
But that's a different point than what he's replying to. No Sweet 16's or tournament wins next year should absolutely result in Hurley's seat getting warm. But the idea of firing him after next year is ludicrous

Reaction Score

Our idiotic fanbase is going to runoff Hurley the way Cincy fans ran off Cronin. BTW Cronin almost lost yesterday with basically the same team that went to the final four last year, point being there is an element of random luck involved in the tournament crapshoot.

Reaction Score
But that's a different point than what he's replying to. No Sweet 16's or tournament wins next year should absolutely result in Hurley's seat getting warm. But the idea of firing him after next year is ludicrous

Warm is an understatement. If we don't get a tournament win next year, his seat needs to be absolutely blazing hot. If he didn't have that huge buy-out he'd probably be gone after next season without a win or 2 in a tournament.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Our idiotic fanbase is going to runoff Hurley the way Cincy fans ran off Cronin. BTW Cronin almost lost yesterday with basically the same team that went to the final four last year, point being there is an element of random luck involved in the tournament crapshoot.
Almost losing isn’t losing. Running hurley off would be a mistake but acknowledging a problem isn’t bad.

Reaction Score

I'll buy luck, but there is a trend and pattern that is pretty hard to ignore. Luck doesnt havent anything to do with coming flat out unprepared and lethargic and not making any adjustments.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, this was a very flawed UConn team lead by players that weren’t highly rated coming out of HS. I think Hurley’s biggest failing this year was the PG position. He expected Gaffney’s game to take a big leap and Diggins to be a contributor and neither happened.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe Allen had four years of college. Worst post game interview ever. Poor sportsmanship. Go Arkansas.
As soon as I saw he was about to be interviewed I turned off the TV. From the way he was acting towards the end of the game I had no desire to see what he was going to say.

Reaction Score
Our talent was overrated. If your 4 can’t shoot 3s and your guards can’t beat their man off the dribble the offense gets ugly.

Our starting guards were recruited to Howard and URI. We have no first round picks, maybe a couple second rounders?

Not saying a lot of this isn’t on Hurley, but our team had serious deficiencies that can be solved through getting better talent.

Reaction Score
Our talent was overrated. If your 4 can’t shoot 3s and your guards can’t beat their man off the dribble the offense gets ugly.

Our starting guards were recruited to Howard and URI. We have no first round picks, maybe a couple second rounders?

Not saying a lot of this isn’t on Hurley, but our team had serious deficiencies that can be solved through getting better talent.
How many 1st and 2nd round picks did New Mexico State have? And all those guys were recruited to New Mexico State. We had better talent last night and lost

Reaction Score
Awful embarrassing is what it was.

What is it with our coach? He uses words like ‘scared’ and ‘afraid’. That has to stop before DH teams get the rep (and the feeling) of fearing opponents rather than overcoming them.

There were 64 very worthy teams in this. How many of them played scared?

This was a giant step back. Left little space for hope that our coach can deliver in big games. Read more books on Leadership. Learn how to overcome Adversity and how to Influence. Embrace the teachings of Sun Tzu. We have to hope he can improve because if he doesn’t we will only rely on our talent. Ask Kentucky fans how that feels today.

Sorry, but coach, stop blaming and start doing something about it. You’re a fighter but something happens to you when the big bully bell rings.

Reaction Score
If you believe that players simply get better in practice and not in games, you’re wasting your time here.
And these days, players who don’t play move on. It puts you in a bad loop.

Reaction Score
As soon as I saw he was about to be interviewed I turned off the TV. From the way he was acting towards the end of the game I had no desire to see what he was going to say.
No class. Will hurt him professionally

Reaction Score
Calhoun had to get over a hump with a program that had a starting 5 of cow farmers. He also had dominant teams by year 4. These situations are not comparable.
Calhoun started from nothing, but it is far from accurate to say he had dominant teams by year 4 (implying continuously after that).

Years 5-7 were either middling seeds or an NIT bid. The Dream Season looked like a fluke.

We didn't have routinely dominant teams until Year 8 for JC.

Reaction Score
Absolutely and thoroughly out coached. How many easy baskets did Jans scheme up for his guys (esp out of timeouts?) How many did Hurley?
How many bunnies did Hurley miss last night? How many turnovers did he have? Last night wasn't about coaching, it was about execution. The boys on the floor did a really bad job at executing last night.

Reaction Score
First, it wasn't a comparison. It was an evaluation of Hurley. And it seems that most on here have the championship or bust mentality in evaluating Hurley. In an odd way, I think you helped prove my point. Too many on here are stuck in the past and have unrealistic expectations. Calhoun is arguably a top 5 college basketball coach of all time. Hurley surely will never be that. He would be the first to admit it. But he is a good coach and great for this program. But if titles are the measuring stick, after that unlucky break in 1990, how long did it take the Hall of Fame coach to win it all? Is it fair then to destroy Hurley after this season in year 4 of a total rebuild? Realistic answers only.
Bingo - Calhoun had absolutely loaded teams that fell short - If social media existed back then, people would have been calling for him to be canned after choking against Florida, or Miss St, or the every 3-4 years of missing the tourney, etc.

Hurley stepped into a situation that was a dumpster fire thanks to Ollie. We are back to being relevant at the least. Last night was very frustrating for sure, but not much you can do when a 33% 3 PT shooting team hits almost 70% of their 3s, many from the parking lot. Hurley has some work to do no doubt but those who are calling for him to be canned or be on the very hot seat, a little bit of perspective is sorely needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom