Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So what are the scenarios for us?

Would we be interested in joining a league with Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, and the other Big 12 leftovers or remain in the Big East? I'd sorta prefer it if I knew the Big Ten wasn't coming for Kansas and the Pac 12 wasn't coming for anyone else.

Of course my dream scenario is for the Big Ten to use this movement to go for Kansas and/or ND and there is a spot needed for a partner or an open spot in the ACC.
In my mind, our scenarios are going to be dictated by Kansas.

1) If none of the Pac-12, B1G, or ACC wants them, I believe the Big 12 will not remain a power conference and expand by 2 schools (Houston and UCF). The American backfills with Rice to keep Navy happy. Nothing happens for us.

2) If B1G wants them bad enough (and I don't think the B1G will be able to poach a non- Big 12 power school), I think #16 will either be us or Iowa State (because of AAU). This scenario=WIN for us

3) I don't see the ACC grabbing them for the same reasons they didn't grab us.

4) If the Pac-12 grabs them I think they will be paired by Texas Tech to get into Texas. The Big 12 would be left with 6 schools and probably add 4 (Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, and Boise State or Colorado State). Navy goes independent as even though the AAC would likely backfill with Rice, Navy would be able to get a better schedule as an independent. We would probably play them frequently, if not yearly. This scenario=WIN for us

I don't see scenario 3 happening, but scenario 1 is at worst a toss-up, scenario 4 helps our football schedule, and scenario 2 would be a life raft the school.

Reaction Score
Kansas was about two hours from having to join the Mountain West during the last Big 12 realignment saga. I don’t see them joining the B1G and even if they did I see almost no way the B1G is interested in adding a SECOND Iowa team, even if they are an AAU school.
The other thing I failed to mention above is any school coming to the Big 10 needs to be worth enough such that each existing members earn more money than the new member would take from splitting the pie further which I suspect no school that is in the Big 12 does except the two in question.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Basically, no.

Scratch San Diego, UNLV, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado State, Memphis, Wyoming and UConn.
1626907953116.png

Done, can I scratch Hawaii too?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So Houston and.... Tulsa to the Big 12? Or does Memphis or Cinci get the nod? What about on of the Florida schools?

So... much... drama!

On a related note, if there is another casting call, should UConn even bother?

It wouldn't have been us. +1 to Independence if only to spare ourselves the tenuous conspiracy threads that might land us in the B12.

Last edited:

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
AAC conference teams in full panic mode. Last station is coming up down the train and a lot of teams dreams are going to end.

Better choice is to gain 2-3 regional independent teams in football to be there to play area P4 conferences and each other for flexible scheduling

Northeast (UConn, West Virginia, Temple)
Midwest (Kansas, Ok state, Baylor)
West (Boise, Byu, Colorado St)
Southeast (Houston, Cincy, UCF)

CL82

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have been us. +1 to Independence if only to spare ourselves the tenuous conspiracy threads that might land us in the B12.
If we were still in the American, I'd be all in on a Big 12 scraps conference. I like the BE, if not our media deal.

Now I would take a football only membership in the B12 in heartbeat. I doubt they'd offer that though.

Reaction Score
AAC conference teams in full panic mode. Last station is coming up down the train and a lot of teams dreams are going to end.

Better choice is to gain 2-3 regional independent teams in football to be there to play area P4 conferences and each other for flexible scheduling

Northeast (UConn, West Virginia, Temple)
Midwest (Kansas, Ok state, Baylor)
West (Boise, Byu, Colorado St)
Southeast (Houston, Cincy, UCF)
UConn should not be a part of that conference. Nor would it ever happen.

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma and Texas leave and somehow no one else does, I think you can bet on the Big 12 filling with four schools. At the top of the list would be BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/Houston. If BYU is not acceptable that's where things get interesting.

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma and Texas leave and somehow no one else does, I think you can bet on the Big 12 filling with four schools. At the top of the list would be BYU/Cincinnati/UCF/Houston. If BYU is not acceptable that's where things get interesting.
I don't think so, Memphis is the logical addition there and there's really no one else.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Oklahoma and Texas leave, no matter who you bring in, the value of the next contract will be just north of the AAC contract. Baylor, et al in football will die on the vine. It will be so watered down, the loser would be the AAC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
In my mind, our scenarios are going to be dictated by Kansas.

1) If none of the Pac-12, B1G, or ACC wants them, I believe the Big 12 will not remain a power conference and expand by 2 schools (Houston and UCF). The American backfills with Rice to keep Navy happy. Nothing happens for us.

2) If B1G wants them bad enough (and I don't think the B1G will be able to poach a non- Big 12 power school), I think #16 will either be us or Iowa State (because of AAU). This scenario=WIN for us

3) I don't see the ACC grabbing them for the same reasons they didn't grab us.

4) If the Pac-12 grabs them I think they will be paired by Texas Tech to get into Texas. The Big 12 would be left with 6 schools and probably add 4 (Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, and Boise State or Colorado State). Navy goes independent as even though the AAC would likely backfill with Rice, Navy would be able to get a better schedule as an independent. We would probably play them frequently, if not yearly. This scenario=WIN for us

I don't see scenario 3 happening, but scenario 1 is at worst a toss-up, scenario 4 helps our football schedule, and scenario 2 would be a life raft the school.
why on earth do you keep suggesting Rice?
Liberty has more ambition than the Owls. As do about 10 other schools.
And please dont say for the TV market. That'd be like adding Columbia thinking it would give you an NYC audience.

Reaction Score
I don't think so, Memphis is the logical addition there and there's really no one else.
I don't understand this take at all. They're inferior across the board to both Cincinnati and UCF. Smaller enrollment, much worse academics (than Cincinnati), smaller market. Doesn't get eastern time zone eyeballs. The list goes on and on.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't understand this take at all. They're inferior across the board to both Cincinnati and UCF. Smaller enrollment, much worse academics (than Cincinnati), smaller market. Doesn't get eastern time zone eyeballs. The list goes on and on.
penny remembers GIF

Reaction Score
The Big 12 raiding the AAC and not picking UCONN is probably an underrated reason why we left the AAC. I know there were many reasons, but the realization that this might happen would be as good as any.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
UConn should not be a part of that conference. Nor would it ever happen.
I did not call it a conference…. I said 2-3 team independent pods who can offer scheduling flexibility to teams in those geographic areas for football. We are not affiliated at all with them unless we schedule a game with them.

Long term if things move the way they might, I Indy is way more attractive in football for schools because they can be more creative. Bowls are dead moving forward so we offer the chance to play anywhere anytime and then we promote the focus on development to the next level. That’s how we survive. I think you didn’t read what I said carefully.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why ESPN would tear the guts out of the Big 12. The league still has years to go on a shared contract with Fox but ESPN seems to have most of the football content. The league may wish to tear the guts out of the AAC which is cheap programming for ESPN. That means Houston, Cincy, UCF and Memphis. It gives them recruiting in multiple sports, eyeballs and cable boxes, and pretty much diminishes any interest in the AAC no matter who they backfill. 2 additional teams also fills more TV time slots. They could literally be strong in hoops and while dropping some in football power rankings, and basically vanquish a competing league. They could possibly have a case to remain P5. But that then puts them at odds with a media partner unless ESPN would rather dump the Big 12 sans TX OK at contract end.

Both ESPN and FOX have a contractual relationship with the Big 12.The question becomes will they agree to preserve the AAC or the big 12 or both or neither. Their contract is not up quite yet but they are kind of weird partners. This will be interesting and could be messy. But of course ESPN may feel it has a lot of leverage here unless Fox were to step up big.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
why on earth do you keep suggesting Rice?
Liberty has more ambition than the Owls. As do about 10 other schools.
And please dont say for the TV market. That'd be like adding Columbia thinking it would give you an NYC audience.
Navy wants to play one Texas school at home per year per their agreement with the AAC for military recruiting purposes. No Rice=no Texas home game every year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom