Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Getting blown up this quickly on something so fundamental to your knowledge base when you are a judge would be like me forgetting how to count.

There is a lot of goodness in that Thamel tweet. To recap:

1) I was right and a lot of others were wrong about the Big 12 having no legal options,
2) It is a really desperate move by the Big 12. It seems a little early for scorched earth, and sending a C&D to The Worldwide Leader is about as scorched earth as it gets.
3) I wonder if the Big 12 has something concrete about ESPN's role in this. They must have something to go after ESPN. This is also the first step in a tortuous interference lawsuit.
4) It would be hilarious if A&M was feeding the Big 12 information to blow this move up.
5) If there was a way that OU, UT, ESPN, the Big 12 and SEC could all get cornholed as a result of this, I would be a very happy sports fan. We can hope.
It’s spelled tortious and I haven’t thought about it since Contract Law as a 1L. And if ESPN is advising schools locked in a Contract with Fox, you have got something there.

Reaction Score

Like an old man yelling at a cloud.
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
My question is..."Why wasn't the Big 12 conspiring to take 4 AAC teams?

Bowlsby..."uh....could we do that ?. It never crossed our minds."

Jeez...how clueless...they had AAC teams auditioning to go into the Big 12...and said..."Oh..never mind."

Reaction Score
Kind of sad to think that ESPN heretofore never conspired with the ACC to help UConn get into that conference. Also, kind of sucks that UConn's destiny does not lie in a power conference. Its name is nowhere mentioned. The money difference between the superleagues and even the Big East will be too great not to make a (negative) impact on UConn, eventually. Be it coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, marketing, NIL opportunities, etc.

Reaction Score
However...

The Big 12 Bylaws do have a clause that pertains...

Section 3.0 Withdrawal and Sanctions

(C) if a third party offers to, or attempts to induce a Member to, leave the Conference and/or breach or not to fully perform its future obligations under the Grant of Rights Agreement and the Member does not both (1) inform the Conference of such action as promptly as possible (but in any event not later than twelve (12) hours after such action) and (2) immediately and unconditionally reject that offer in a form and manner reasonably acceptable to the Commissioner..

However...I am positive that the Texas/OU/ESPN lawyers have been up front about not inducing to breach the GOR...since Texas and OU issued a joint statement that they are going to fullfill the GOR but are giving notice of intent to not sign the next one.
Isnt this only a problem if the SEC approached TX/OU? If TX/OU approach the SEC, there is no 3rd party inducing them to leave?

Reaction Score
1) I was right and a lot of others were wrong about the Big 12 having no legal options,

Does threatening to file a lawsuit qualify as "legal options?" (Serious question.) I mean, if it goes nowhere, isn't it a moot point?

Reaction Score
If the AAC kicked out ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, USF, and then added Baylor, KU, TCU, and Kstate/TTU, that would be a pretty respectable conference.

But I would love to see KU get stuck in no mans land without a Big 10 invite. Screw them, they deserved to be left to rot

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing is for certain, Aresco screwed up the approach to the Big 12 schools. This should have never blown back on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Ok, so who are the 3-5?
I'll guess OSU, Kan, Bay, WV, K St.
K state and Baylor are the least valuable of the bunch. TCU prob 3rd least valuable to aac since they already have SMU in the dallas fort worth market. welcome back to the MWC!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom