Texas AD Squashing FSU Talk? | The Boneyard

Texas AD Squashing FSU Talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The question really is....what, if any of this, is even true???

Anyone from anywhere can go on record saying that this is all rumors. Maybe the Big-12 wasn't ready to let the cat out of the bag and FSU really is on the radar so now they are trying to cover it up for the time being.

I enjoy playing the what-if game and this board has kept my attention for the past week but I don't think texas or anyone else is telling the truth.

I mean, did BC REALLY prevent us from joining the ACC? Or do they just think they were the reason we didn't get invited, as evidenced by the AD's comments?

Who knows!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Either way, DeFilippo believes he was the reason why UConn didn't get invited. I don't think he's a modest man.

Reaction Score
Play by play on conference realignment is annoying. The bottom line on Big 12 expansion is if the want to add teams, FSU will be at the top of the list, especially over BYU, Louisville, and Cincy. I have always thought that 9 or 10 team conferences that allow for a round robin football and basketball conference schedule is the preferred format, even though you don't have a conference championship in football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A President, AD or any official from the Big 12 would have to have 100% feces between their ears to publicly acknowledge they were raiding the ACC. Has any raiding conference publicly discussed a target prior to them joining? The Big 12 is facing a potentially huge lawsuit, as is any raiding conference. They will tread very carefully.

Reaction Score
That denial to me sounds like a man trying to get everyone to believe that there never was any tampering going on. Not saying there is, but to imply that Big 12 would have no interest in FSU. You could make the argument that outside of ND, FSU is the most attractive piece that can reasonably be obtained. No is leaving the Pac 10, Big Ten or SEC.

Reaction Score
So the president of FSU says they're not going and the most powerful school in the conference says they aren't coming but they are still coming?

Wow, what part of not wanting to give the impression of tampering is difficult to understand? They Big 12, has to say that. Who knows if they are going, but this is more than idle chatter on the Boneyard's conference realignment board at this point.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So the president of FSU says they're not going and the most powerful school in the conference says they aren't coming but they are still coming?

FSU Trustees will push for due diligence.

The new playoffs will impact this: if no one in the ACC would qualify come December 10 this year under the new system and the other prelimary Bowl agreements look largely the same as they have for the ACC you can be sure there will be legs come this time next year.

Deloss Dodds is not the decision maker in all this. He likes to pretend he is.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is why the whole thing is so tough to read. There has been so much dishonesty and posturing in all of the realignment that has happened so far, that it's hard to tell what is reasonably true anymore. Still, I have to believe that if a BOT chairman of a hot-commodity school comes out and says we are looking at other leagues, and the coach of the football team seconds the motion, why on earth wouldn't the Big12 go after them? I'm not sure I'm buying what the Texas AD is selling, to be honest with you, even though Funster's point is valid that absolutely nothing has happened to this point...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One of the funnier aspects of all this is watching some of you get whipsawed back and forth by every statement that comes out.

Even if this happens, FSU will officially be committed to the ACC and the Big 12 will be officially happy at 10 teams until about four minutes before they announce that FSU has been invited and has accepted an invite to join the Big 12.

What they say and what they think are two different things. What they're doing and what they want to do are two different things. What they say they are committed to and what they are committed to are two different things. Do you really think UConn is happy and committed to the Big East or that they were shocked that the commish walked the plank last week? No, no and no.

Reaction Score
That denial to me sounds like a man trying to get everyone to believe that there never was any tampering going on. Not saying there is, but to imply that Big 12 would have no interest in FSU. You could make the argument that outside of ND, FSU is the most attractive piece that can reasonably be obtained. No is leaving the Pac 10, Big Ten or SEC.
im in this camp, sounds more like the big 12 sending out a prominent figure to create an appearance that nothing is going on. not BOT member is going to say we should explore the big 12 options if there have been zero discussions between FSU and the big 12. the Texas AD has plausible deniability if something does happen, he can say he wasnt privvy to those previous discussions (despite it being 100% bs).

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
A President, AD or any official from the Big 12 would have to have 100% feces between their ears to publicly acknowledge they were raiding the ACC. Has any raiding conference publicly discussed a target prior to them joining? The Big 12 is facing a potentially huge lawsuit, as is any raiding conference. They will tread very carefully.

As in the Baylor lawsuit against everyone not named Baylor for tampering with the Big 12? SEC and Texas A&M as named parties in the lawsuit?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texas-am-sec.ap/index.html

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Yeah, because he is not a moron, he would rather not blow up the whole deal, and he would rather not expose the Big 12 and Texas to tens of millions of liability in litigation. Or he could lay out the whole story in the press to make you happy. Choices, choices.

Reaction Score
FSU Trustees will push for due diligence.

The new playoffs will impact this: if no one in the ACC would qualify come December 10 this year under the new system and the other prelimary Bowl agreements look largely the same as they have for the ACC you can be sure there will be legs come this time next year.

Deloss Dodds is not the decision maker in all this. He likes to pretend he is.

The economics of it just don't make sense. The Fla State president, in that list on ESPN, points out that they had over $100M revenue shortfall last year. You think $3M for TV rights means anything significant next to that number, and for the costs they will incur for loss of culture, extra travel costs, and still crappy football oppnents ? The only people who care about that $3M at FSU are in the athletic department (and in the sports media), not the president's office.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because he is not a moron, he would rather not blow up the whole deal, and he would rather not expose the Big 12 and Texas to tens of millions of liability in litigation. Or he could lay out the whole story in the press to make you happy. Choices, choices.

An honest question - why is it such a great deal for FSU to join the Big 12? They'll be trading the North Carolina schools as their masters for Texas as their master. They'll still have crappy football opponents who won't sell out their stadium. The only place they WANT to go is the SEC, and the SEC is too far downstream academically for their faculty and BOT to accept it; not that the SEC is champing at the bit to offer them, anyway.

Reaction Score
The economics of it just don't make sense. The Fla State president, in that list on ESPN, points out that they had over $100M revenue shortfall last year. You think $3M for TV rights means anything significant next to that number, and for the costs they will incur for loss of culture, extra travel costs, and still crappy football oppnents ? The only people who care about that $3M at FSU are in the athletic department (and in the sports media), not the president's office.
How are Oklahoma and Texas crappy opponents? KState, WVU? Oklahoma State? The Big 12, has more marquee opponents than ACC ever will.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's more the SEC protecting Florida than anything else as to why FSU won't wind up there. Maybe they'll figure out a way to make tons more $$$ with FSU, so that Florida would be placated, but I doubt it.

But to the original question - Texas A&M switched conferences because a) they were in an unhappy marriage with the big guns in their conference b)they had a new, significant market and recruiting territory to offer their new conference. FSU has a), but not b) for the SEC, but it might be enough to tempt the B12. However this does not change the economic realities, if what the FSU prez said was accurate then they might have to get their finances in order first (by calling their sugar daddies / donors) before moving out.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wow, what part of not wanting to give the impression of tampering is difficult to understand? They Big 12, has to say that. Who knows if they are going, but this is more than idle chatter on the Boneyard's conference realignment board at this point.

Wait. Where was tampering when BC and Miami bailed after BC pledged to stay? Where was tampering when Syracuse and Pitt bailed with no notice? Deals were cut before they left. And just because parties on both sides of the fence deny it that means it's going to happen? Really?

Reaction Score
Wait. Where was tampering when BC and Miami bailed after BC pledged to stay? Where was tampering when Syracuse and Pitt bailed with no notice? Deals were cut before they left. And just because parties on both sides of the fence deny it that means it's going to happen? Really?
You realize you're saying BC pledged to stay, then left. Sort of how the FSU president says they aren't going anywhere, now. I don't KNOW if they're going. I'm a little perplexed that your steadfast that they aren't leaving when you yourself just gave an example of a school pledging to stay publicly then bolting without a moments notice.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You realize you're saying BC pledged to stay, then left. Sort of how the FSU president says they aren't going anywhere, now. I don't KNOW if they're going. I'm a little perplexed that your steadfast that they aren't leaving when you yourself just gave an example of a school pledging to stay publicly then bolting without a moments notice.

I'm not steadfast in anything. I'm just not getting on the rollercoaster that some people want to keep riding. I don't know what's going to happen but I do know that I'm more inclined to take official sources at their word as opposed to internet bloggers, etc. who keep throwing gas on these fires. And FWIW, because any entity says it will do one thing and occasionally do something different does not mean it will always do something different.

Let's look at this for a second. The outgoing FSU BOT chair makes a statement, presumably on behalf of some boosters, etc. His statement is misinformed in regards to the ACC deal. The president countermands that statement. The football coach speaks out and the FSU AD makes a statement about ACC commitment. After still more saber rattling, Texas, the real power in the Big12 says FSU is"miles away" from ever happening. Still, there are people here and other places bleating that this move is imminent. It's not. That's not to say it won't happen, It just won't happen immediately. Nor will the complete and entire collapse of the ACC. If that happens, it won't happen for a while. Years even.

Reaction Score
How are Oklahoma and Texas crappy opponents? KState, WVU? Oklahoma State? The Big 12, has more marquee opponents than ACC ever will.

Fla State won't be in the same division as the Texas and Oklahoma schools. It's more like them, Kansas, K State, Iowa State, WVU and whomever the new travel partner is that the Big 12 would recruit (Louisville?). They would get Texas or Oklahoma in Tallahassee once in a blue moon. That's a crap lineup.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that 9 or 10 team conferences that allow for a round robin football and basketball conference schedule is the preferred format, even though you don't have a conference championship in football.

it was great when you'd get a home and home in bball. unfortunately everything's moving in the wrong direction. at this point my hope is 4 16 team conferences with each being split into two 8 team conferences. it would almost be like having 8 8 team regional conferences where two of them play a championship game every year. at 12 it's just annoying.

Reaction Score
UT would not welcome another chair at the table asking for equality ---- the B12 (er, 10) will always have one fatal flaw in their design - UT. They want more, they want an unlevel playing field, and they will take their marbles and (threaten to) go home anytime someone else asks for more. They can push ISU, KS, and Baylor all over the place. FSU would be a threat to them w/in the conference, and they ain't bringing in any threats.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The good news in this is that both publicly and in backchannel reports, both Texas and Oklahoma are placing the bar pretty high for expansion. I think it becomes less likely Louisville or Cincinnati go to the Big 12 if FSU and Clemson stay in the ACC for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom