Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur

Reaction Score
Bigs tend to dissappear in games when the guards stop giving them the ball. They get disinterested and zone out. Seen it happen too many times to post players who want the offense to flow through them. Doesn't happen much to guards because they always have their hands on the ball.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think the selling point that TN had over ND was that she would be able to start from day 1. At ND, she might not have started until her Junior year. No doubt I believe that her talents would be maximized better at ND, and they could use a PG off the bench right about now. She's going to be good, as are the lady vols in the future.

I hear you. And I think Kara Lawson said pretty much the same thing about Westbrook and her fellow frosh during the broadcast of the game. At the time of her recruitment, the Irish still had Ali Patberg and I'm sure "word on the court" had been going around about combo guard Katlyn Gilbert and point guard Anaya Peoples down the line. Amazing how times change not so far down the line.

No doubt they're going to get better...the first quarter was an indication of that.

Reaction Score
More than that, my impression is that she really sells the "close knit family" thing. She starts recruiting these kids early and works hard at an emotional connection with them and their families. If there's more to it, I have no idea what it is. Maybe the kids are also drawn to Tennessee's history and past glory and Holly sells the "come here and let's go get NC #9 and be great again"...

Didn't the Lady Vols adopt the motto, "Grind for 9" during the 2013-14 season?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I stopped by to see how excited you guys were.
so-excited-meme-59d91c8d4cd9e.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Toward the end in the 4Q, Tennessee's starters were starting to look like UConn's bench yesterday. That same inability to get a defensive stop, the rushed or not-well-distributed shots and ball movement, etc. Sheesh.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
7500 probably looks like 500 in that arena

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In Saturday’s game vs Houston, the Huskies forced 27 Cougar turnovers. Not to be outdone, last night TN had 28.

Earlier in the season I seem to recall HW saying she didn’t worry about turnovers so long as her team was aggressive. She may want to rethink that strategy.

Reaction Score
I really like this Tennessee team, but you do have to wonder if they have the coach at this point.

They very nearly blew a similar lead at South Carolina in our first game trying to live without Wilson. Harris just ran out of gas.

Next season Tennessee will have to rebuild its front court and replace its two leading scorers there, so I wonder if they will again be just a little bit off when it counts. They should still be the favorite in the SEC next season, I think.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The win probability chart for this game is wild:

upload_2018-1-19_10-18-36.png

At one point in the fourth quarter, Tennessee had a 95.5% chance of winning. By 3:18 left, ND had a 95.9% chance to win. Tennessee went from being almost guaranteed to win to being almost guaranteed to lose in about 6 minutes.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The win probability chart for this game is wild:

View attachment 27863

At one point in the fourth quarter, Tennessee had a 95.5% chance of winning. By 3:18 left, ND had a 95.9% chance to win. Tennessee went from being almost guaranteed to win to being almost guaranteed to lose in about 6 minutes.

OK, I'm just going to admit my ignorance, I have never seen a chart like that before. Is it based on statistics of point differential over time versus the eventual outcome? If so, where did you get the statistical info.
Or is it something else entirely?

Reaction Score
OK, I'm just going to admit my ignorance, I have never seen a chart like that before. Is it based on statistics of point differential over time versus the eventual outcome? If so, where did you get the statistical info.
Or is it something else entirely?
I believe that is from ESPN. I assume it is a result of analyzing past games and what tends to happen given each situation. However, it is not adjusted for team quality, as it shows both teams starting with an equal chance. If you look at the UCONN win expectancy chart from yesterday, it will show Tulsa having the advantage when they led briefly in the opening minutes, when obviously they never had even the slightest chance of winning that game. It is an interesting stat but needs some more tweaking to be really accurate. However, this does not diminish the epic collapse by Tennessee yesterday.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bigs tend to dissappear in games when the guards stop giving them the ball. They get disinterested and zone out. Seen it happen too many times to post players who want the offense to flow through them. Doesn't happen much to guards because they always have their hands on the ball.
Bingo

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I just wanted to congratulate ND on a great comeback win. I think many irish fans will remember this as a classic, and vol fans remembering it as one of the biggest debacles, if not the biggest debacle in lady vol history..

I can only imagine how much better nd would be if not for all the injuries theyve suffered thru this season..

As far as tennessee is concerned, i hope this loss wont define their season and they rebound and keep their chins up..these types of losses tend to demoralize a team pretty quickly

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I believe that is from ESPN. I assume it is a result of analyzing past games and what tends to happen given each situation. However, it is not adjusted for team quality, as it shows both teams starting with an equal chance. If you look at the UCONN win expectancy chart from yesterday, it will show Tulsa having the advantage when they led briefly in the opening minutes, when obviously they never had even the slightest chance of winning that game. It is an interesting stat but needs some more tweaking to be really accurate. However, this does not diminish the epic collapse by Tennessee yesterday.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. "Epic collapse" is pretty accurate. I watched the game late on DVR, so I came late to the conversation. Still haven't stopped grinning.
I will say this to the Tennessee fans: you do have a lot of talent on your team. They were awesome in the first 10 minutes. After that they looked like our freshman and sophs in the second quarter of the Tulsa game. No discipline, no teamwork, no plan, like they hadn't been coached. Maybe that was Geno's point.

Reaction Score
Its tough for sure..tennessee has all the talent in the world, but a subpar head coach..holly is the weak link on this team
While it appears Holly is still learning, surprised few give her any credit for recruiting and rebuilding. Took Geno several years to win big games consistently. This is a Top 10 team with great talent - overreaction to loss?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Prior to the start of the game I thought it was ND being unable to play good defense for 40 minutes with a short bench that was going to cost them the game. In hindsight, I was looking at the numbers and Tennessee hasn't been great defensively vs ranked teams. They give up 78 PPG to ranked teams. They average 83 PPG on the year and 82 PPG vs ranked teams. That seems awful high w/ very little margin for error. That puts a lot of pressure on your offense. They gotta defend better or if they aren't going to defend better at least clean up those turnovers.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
While it appears Holly is still learning, surprised few give her any credit for recruiting and rebuilding. Took Geno several years to win big games consistently. This is a Top 10 team with great talent - overreaction to loss?
What did she rebuild? They have always had talent. Geno didn't sit next to Pat Summitt for 20 years, helping to win multiple titles either before taking his HC job. He built UConn from the ground up w/ CD. I think Holly has had a bit of a head start. That is what frustrates their fans. They just expect more given her perceived level of experience.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

At this point there can be no doubt, Holly is a great recruiter. But, I do believe the evidence demonstrates that she does not mold that talent into a cohesive team. Perhaps she is just someone who makes a first class Assistant Coach and a poor Head Coach?

Reaction Score
I watched the replay of this game after getting
home from the Tulsa game. The skill, precise passing and quickness that Tenn. demonstrated was impressive and, in the context of the Tulsa debacle, depressing. That ND (of hated memory) came back from a 23 point deficit to win the game is a tribute to Muffet McGraw’s coaching skills and a singular confirmation of Holly Warlick’s incompetence. As badly as ND played in the first quarter, McGraw did not permit her players to panic. She modified her defense to impede Mercedes Russell and, essentially, invited Tenn. to win this game with outside shooting. Her efforts were, of course, aided by the fact that Holly never apparantly received the invitation and Mercedes Russell did what she does best in big games - disappear. It was painful to watch the Tenn. players completely lose composure at the end of the third period and beginning of the fourth period. And coach Holly did nothing to restore the sense of internal discipline that her players had lost.
Having said all that, UConn fans should be forewarned - Davis and Wesrbrook are the real deal. Geno has commented that WCBB is aguard’s game. The Tenn. guards are only going to improve and will keep Tenn. in every game. Add some reasonably capable front court players and a national championship becomes a real possibility.l

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom