Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur | The Boneyard

Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur

Reaction Score
7:00PM ET on ESPN

It's No 5 vs No 6
Last year the Irish had a 4th period meltdown and handed Tenn a win. If that wasn't enough to motivate them they are coming off a beat-down by Louisville last week in which they gave up 100 points for the first time in ages to a Cardinal team that shot over 70% in the first half.

Tenn is coming off a big road win against a Wilson-less S Carolina.

I expect a high scoring up and down game and two exhausted teams late. The one that sucks it up wins. I see the home crowd spurring the Irish to victory.

Reaction Score
The main factor for the outcome of this game will depend if Mercedes Russell can assert herself in the post on both ends with her height advantage. Other than that, it will be a battle of guard play which I give the advantage to ND.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With ND playing without a pg, it will be interesting to see if TN can pressure the ball like Louisville did.

Reaction Score
The main factor for the outcome of this game will depend if Mercedes Russell can assert herself in the post on both ends with her height advantage. Other than that, it will be a battle of guard play whie ch I give the advantage to ND.

I agree, Russell's play will be one of the main factors. I think the others are:
How ND handles the press without a true point guard and the outside shooting of Mabrey and Shepard.
Mabrey has not shot the 3 well at home this year so far. Shepard needs to draw Russell away from the basket where she's not effective defensively.
Needless to say, with neither team being very deep, fouls could play a key role in the outcome.

Reaction Score
The main factor for the outcome of this game will depend if Mercedes Russell can assert herself in the post on both ends with her height advantage. Other than that, it will be a battle of guard play which I give the advantage to ND.

I agree concerning the importance of Mercedes Russell but I can't say that ND has the advantage in guard play. I think that the combination of Nared and Westbrook provides scoring and better ball handling as ND does not have a true PG.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Shepard can't put a hurting on Russell inside it will be a long night for the Irish. Should she be able to, heck yes.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
For the Irish, I think the key is how they play Mercedes Russell and Jamie Nared.

Both play more than 30 minutes per game and are the top two shot-takers on the team (Nared has taken 241 attempts...nearly 50 more than Russell, who is second on the team).
And both average more than 8 rebounds per game.

Russell, at 6'6", is getting most of those shots very close to the hoop, so the Irish have to find ways of keeping her a bit more away from the hoop or making her path there that much more difficult. Maybe that 2-3 zone is a bit more like a 2-1-2 with the middle paying attention to Ms. Russell. Besides Sheppard, I would also expect to see Koko Nelson to try some body-to-body pressure. Offensively, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Irish go at Russell in the forms of drives to try to get her in foul trouble. Plus, some quick hitting passes. For all of Mabrey's dribbling challenges, she is at her best in half-court sets and delivers some excellent entry passes to Sheppard.

Nared is the leader of the team and while she's scoring 17.6 points per game, she's not shooting particularly well...39% overall and 28% from three. My gut would be -- first and foremost -- limit open looks as much as possible so she does not get her confidence going. And, along those lines, hand-in-face, hip-to-hip while she's cutting through the lane. Throw off the shooting concentration. Keep track of her in the zone and -- if the Irish go man -- get Jackie Young on her most of the time. Maybe Dani Patterson can spell her.

Yes, I've read about the Tennessee frosh are playing well for the Vols. But the Irish should concentrate on their leaders first and then see if the frosh can overcome playing on an away court in a very pressurized atmosphere. The game is near a sellout and will be loud. This is the only home game in which the Irish are playing a ranked team (all the rest were on away or neutral courts), so the home crowd will be into it.

As for the Irish, they've got to balance that fine line between playing some degree of defense without getting into foul trouble. And, as MM pointed out repeatedly this week, play hard. Win those 50-50s!

The other element is if UT follows Louisville's lead and puts pressure on the Irish bringing the ball up court. If so, I'd expect to see Shep and/or Kat Westbeld come to half court to help out by taking passes and/or setting screens...I don't believe Russell will not follow up court.

Interesting development for the Irish...the boys practice team returned to campus this week to mimic the other team and basically push the Irish. Besides giving the Irish enough people to practice against, the boys are good players -- they won the Bookstore Basketball Tournament last year, which has nearly 40% of all ND's undergrads participate. Could help sharpen the Irish.

BTW, this should be an interesting game for Danielle Patterson. Remember she was a huge Candace Parker fan growing up and the Vols were finalists for her services, along with the Irish. Will be interesting to see how she reacts going against the Irish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Go Vols?
images

Reaction Score
In this game I'm rooting for ND (basically only when ND plays TN). ND can and should win if they play defense and are not playing like they are afraid to be called for fouls (which is what they did against Louisville). I imagine that TN will try to press Mabery and she'll need her teammates to get open in order to move the ball around. Westbrook is an athletic (and Hays) player and Mabery is not so it will be interesting to see...On paper TN looks like they have some advantages over ND so we'll see what MM comes up with

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom