Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great Win by Notre Dame. At one time they were down by 23 points to the Lady Vols. Lady Vols thought they would win the game because of their superior bench. Didn't happen tonight. Also like I've seen in other games, Mercedes Russell disappeared for long stretches. Didn't watch the complete game as I was watching the UConn game and only watched this game for 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow....that game could not have finished any worse from a Tennessee fan's perspective. Tennessee was up by 16 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. From there Notre Dame outscored Tennessee 47-17.

Major credit to Notre Dame for adjusting and draping defenders all over Russell while also executing on their end of the court. Neither team is particularly strong defensively, but offense was the biggest differentiator tonight. Notre Dame has players who set screens and are constantly moving. The run back cuts, guards penetrate and kick, or just penetrate and score. Tennessee did nothing to stop ND's offense in the last 3 quarters. You can't give up 74 points in 3 quarters to any team and expect to have a chance. Notre Dame was very good after the slow start.

Tennessee's offense just stopped after the great start. Notre Dame packed defenders in on Russell and the guards forced the issue which resulted in turnovers instead of hitting midrange shots or penetrating and kicking it out. I also didn't think Russell posted nearly as hard as she needed to. She fades away as a game continues and that's a major issue with her. When she's involved and working hard, she's nearly unstoppable.

Tennessee also was horrible from the free throw line. Reminded me of Texas vs. UCONN where Tennessee ended up really hurting themselves with missed free throws while Notre Dame didn't miss. Hit 2-3 more and it could have turned the tide a bit.

I did like the ball movement from Tennessee most of the game, and I liked that players were looking to make the extra pass, but it has to tighten up. Losses like this and the A&M one can be pretty demoralizing as the year goes on. Tonight looked more like Tennessee of the last 2 years where the focus and execution would be there for a couple of quarters, and then it would inexplicably disappear and they lose a very winnable game.

Mississippi State will be an interesting game. They don't move the ball like Notre Dame does but McCowan is a handful inside and if they don't contain Vivians and other shooters it's not going to be a good night for Tennessee. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring a lot of emotion and pull out an upset, but I just hope Tennessee can stay focused for the whole game and not break down like they did tonight.

Reaction Score
I feel for the Tennessee fans. That was hard to swallow. I know, as I watched Oregon State choke away a win at USC with 27 turnovers. Both of these teams must learn to take care of the ball or they are going to exit the NCAA Tournament in round 1 or 2.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tennessee fell on the self-destruct button.

ND played their best two-way ball of the season down the stretch. But 28 turnovers? ND's defense wasn't THAT good.

To go from being up 10 to start the 4th and lose by 14? Yikes.

Holly stood on the sideline dumbfounded as per usual.

Tennessee has a bright future. Their youngsters are really talented. But Holly is just not an elite coach.

Agreed. I think Holly's game plan of "get the ball to Russell" was overdone and she didn't make any adjustments when it wasn't working. As a result, there were a ton of forced passes that resulted in turnovers and no other offense was really implemented and they completely broke down and started making awful choices. I like that players are looking to make the extra pass, but they need to recognize what's going to be a good pass vs. what's going to lead to a turnover. It's not a strong suit of our guards, and it's not a skill that Holly has shown she can teach.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
How does she continue to recruit so well? They haven't been to the Final 4 for a decade. HS players coming up now probably can't even remember when they were a dominant national power. I don't understand how the Tennessee mystique is still alive.

Great coaching call by muffett to start packing in on russell..all holly knows as coach is to tell her team to pound the ball in to russell..notre dame took that away, but holly didnt adjust..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How does she continue to recruit so well? They haven't been to the Final 4 for a decade. HS players coming up now probably can't even remember when they were a dominant national power. I don't understand how the Tennessee mystique is still alive.
Remember what happened with Zarielle Green? She committee to Kansas, and then magically within about 2 weeks she changed her mind and then a few days later was committed to Tennessee. If that doesn't smell fishy, then fish must not have a smell anymore ...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They don't even try to get the ball into Russell. TN The lowest basketball IQ team ever. Time to scoot over to VolNation for some entertainment. :D
eebmg-Seriosuly? Taking pleasure in other fans pain?....I was watching VolNation the whole game...chuckle, chuckle, chuckle...:rolleyes:

Great minds think alike...or are we just bad people?

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I feel for the Tennessee fans. That was hard to swallow. I know, as I watched Oregon State choke away a win at USC with 27 turnovers. Both of these teams must learn to take care of the ball or they are going to exit the NCAA Tournament in round 1 or 2.

Its tough for sure..tennessee has all the talent in the world, but a subpar head coach..holly is the weak link on this team

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think Holly's game plan of "get the ball to Russell" was overdone and she didn't make any adjustments when it wasn't working. As a result, there were a ton of forced passes that resulted in turnovers and no other offense was really implemented and they completely broke down and started making awful choices. I like that players are looking to make the extra pass, but they need to recognize what's going to be a good pass vs. what's going to lead to a turnover. It's not a strong suit of our guards, and it's not a skill that Holly has shown she can teach.
Now that is what is referred to as a "great" win. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
eebmg-Seriosuly? Taking pleasure in other fans pain?....I was watching VolNation the whole game...chuckle, chuckle, chuckle...:rolleyes:

Great minds think alike...or are we just bad people?

It must have been brutal when TN went up 23. Still, keeping an eye on them as they blew the lead must have been glorious. Need to check every comment of every page of the thread. :D

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
It must have been brutal when TN went up 23. Still, keeping an eye on them as they blew the lead must have been glorious. Need to check every comment of every page of the thread. :D

As a tennessee fan myself, its hard to get excited about big leads because a holly coached team seems to find ways to lose those leads. Ive lost count how many double digit leads she has lost sjnce shes been head coach. This one takes the cake by far

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I am so shocked I think I am going to rewatch the game right now. Like what in the actual heck just happened.

Its shock alright, even for a holly coached team..this debacle cud have negative recruiting implications

Plebe

Reaction Score
Its shock alright, even for a holly coached team..this debacle cud have negative recruiting implications
Meh. Tennessee has had debacles galore the past two years, but somehow through some mysterious means (cough cough) Holly has pulled in back-to-back stellar recruiting hauls.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Another thing i noticed about holly..of all the high ranked high school players she has coached since taking the tennessee job, she hasnt produced one all american..i was hoping russell or nared would get the honor this season, but the way its going now, i dont see either one becoming all americans

Plebe

Reaction Score
Another thing i noticed about holly..of all the high ranked high school players she has coached since taking the tennessee job, she hasnt produced one all american..i was hoping russell or nared would get the honor this season, but the way its going now, i dont see either one becoming all americans
I think Nared has a very good chance at All-American this year. Tennessee is still a top-8 team and she's the leading scorer.

I think Russell has a decent shot as well, although I'd be a bit surprised if both make it. But who knows.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Meh. Tennessee has had debacles galore the past two years, but somehow through some mysterious means (cough cough) Holly has pulled in back-to-back stellar recruiting hauls.

Yep, but i think holly is still able to sell the 8 national championship thing and her association with summitt to recruits..

Reaction Score
Congrats to Notre Dame for a great comeback against a very athletic and deep Tennessee team.............those seven ladies will sleep will tonight............

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep, but i think holly is still able to sell the 8 national championship thing and her association with summitt to recruits..
More than that, my impression is that she really sells the "close knit family" thing. She starts recruiting these kids early and works hard at an emotional connection with them and their families. If there's more to it, I have no idea what it is. Maybe the kids are also drawn to Tennessee's history and past glory and Holly sells the "come here and let's go get NC #9 and be great again"...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I tell ya what though..that nd home court advantage is for real..as much as nd rattled tennessee, that crowd made it twice as rough

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom