Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yep, but i think holly is still able to sell the 8 national championship thing and her association with summitt to recruits..

For how long? Summit hasn't coached since '12. At some point that has to become irrelevant to teenagers that didn't grow up watching her coach, right? Or the other side of it is, how long can Holly continue to sell recruits on the Tennessee tradition while she keeps falling short of expectations annually?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, if this was Tenn football, would Holly have been fired before she got off the court? Before she got on the bus? Or before she gets to the office tomorrow?

I think she has one year left on her contract at $650k per year after this year. There’s no way they are firing her, given how much in the red that AD is, they can’t afford it. I think they are paying 3 football coaches, 2/3 basketball coaches and 2 athletic directors. Plus the lawsuits from the merger of the two Athletic Departments where the Women’s Dept lost more than the Men’s. Add in Phillip Fuller, who knew and respected Pat Summitt as the new AD, he’s not firing her. It’s a good day for us. I hope she brings in a third straight top 5 class so she stays around. Besides, she is 16-2 this point so she deserves some credit... not a lot mind you, just some :rolleyes:

Whether we want to admit it or not, UT does have great facilities and when any young woman goes there and sees these facilities vs. other schools, why wouldn’t they want to go there? Other than the fact your game won’t improve, your team will under achieve and negativity will follow the coaching staff, but “ other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?” to coin a harsh sarcastic retort...

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Its shock alright, even for a holly coached team..this debacle cud have negative recruiting implications
No way. All that playing time available. I bet they have a Top 5 recruting class again next year.

Reaction Score
LOL, I thought ND will lose the game but what a game.
ND started strong but lost to UConn at 4Q.
Tenn started strong but lost to ND at 4Q.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Another thing i noticed about holly..of all the high ranked high school players she has coached since taking the tennessee job, she hasnt produced one all american..i was hoping russell or nared would get the honor this season, but the way its going now, i dont see either one becoming all americans
Wow, I was really just being very snarky in my previous post, but by golly you really hit the nail on the head there. That’s something EVERY recruit needs to assess. None of the Tenn faithful can be mad at Crystal Dangerfield for leaving the state and doing what’s she’s doing.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
For how long? Summit hasn't coached since '12. At some point that has to become irrelevant to teenagers that didn't grow up watching her coach, right? Or the other side of it is, how long can Holly continue to sell recruits on the Tennessee tradition while she keeps falling short of expectations annually?

At some point yes, but keep in mind that candace parker is still playing wnba and a lot of recruits look up to her and choose tennessee for that reason..mercedes russell for example.

I think if holly continues to lose games in this fashion, her reputation as a bad coach will only get worse and cost recruits..its only a matter of time..there have been a number of double digit leads that holly has lost since shes been head coach

Also, attendence continues to drop..even with a really good start, the avg attendence this season is maybe 7500

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At some point yes, but keep in mind that candace parker is still playing wnba and a lot of recruits look up to her and choose tennessee for that reason..mercedes russell for example.

I think if holly continues to lose games in this fashion, her reputation as a bad coach will cost recruits..its only a matter of time..there have been a number of double digit leads that holly has lost since shes been head coach

Also, attendence continues to drop..even with a really good start, the avg attendence this season is maybe 7500
I continue to be amazed how little actual analysis of the style, coaching, and team chemistry goes into the choices most recruits make. Holly has been proving that she is limited as a game coach and a developmental coach for years. This is the best looking TN team I think since she took over and yet they still can lay these kind of eggs.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Wow, I was really just being very snarky in my previous post, but by golly you really hit the nail on the head there. That’s something EVERY recruit needs to assess. None of the Tenn faithful can be mad at Crystal Dangerfield for leaving the state and doing what’s she’s doing.

They need to access if the college coach they are playing for the next four years can help them develop and improve their game

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There was some serious young talent wearing orange. And I won't lie to you, I was thinking how great it would've been if #2 in orange -- one Evina Westbrook -- had decided to attend ND, as opposed to Tennessee. Turnovers aside, she's got a lot of talent, from her ability to make blocks on layups to hit critical shots. Renna Davis demonstrated a lot of talent and grit, as well.

Tip of the hat to the Irish for stopping Russell. Of course, the Vols helped on that front, too.

For Notre Dame on offense, when Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young and even Marina Mabrey went to the hoop, it opened up the floor for some jumpers. Both Arike and Marina went 3 for 5 from 3-pt. range.

Amazing how much better a Thursday evening can be a week later....;)

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Holly at halftime: “I don’t have an answer for that.”

Nell Fortner: “You heard Adam Amin saying the lady Vols were really moving the ball. When was the last time anybody said that about Tennessee?”

Ouch.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Margo on the Notre Dame Game: Run

First off-Thanks for posting this, Margo is always passionate, albeit deluded, but passionate!
The answer to her question what matchup is key to this game? Bigbird kid of answered it-Muffet vs. Holly and it was a KO...

I am regularly checking VolNation to see her postgame assessment of this debacle. I hope she’s ok...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I tell ya what though..that nd home court advantage is for real..as much as nd rattled tennessee, that crowd made it twice as rough
Tennessee's home-heavy OOC schedule has left it particularly vulnerable to ugly collapses on the road, which have accounted for both of their losses so far.

Reaction Score
not sure why so much doom and gloom in Tennessee land................their team is 16-2 right? Are the faithful spoiled over their fast start already? I expect them to win the vast majority of their remaining games on talent alone and who know what kind of run they can go on in the NCAAs....................stranger things have happened.......................I think......................

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
not sure why so much doom and gloom in Tennessee land......their team is 16-2 right? Are the faithful spoiled over their fast start already? I expect them to win the vast majority of their remaining games on talent alone and who know what kind of run they can go on in the NCAAs.....stranger things have happened........I think.......
You have to remember, this is the same fan base that started sending Pat Summitt hate mail, when she was still very much in her prime, when they would suffer unexpected losses to lesser teams.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
not sure why so much doom and gloom in Tennessee land......their team is 16-2 right? Are the faithful spoiled over their fast start already? I expect them to win the vast majority of their remaining games on talent alone and who know what kind of run they can go on in the NCAAs.....stranger things have happened........I think.......

Losing that 23 point lead and the way they lost it is a tough pill to swallow for many vol fans i think..but you are right, this team is 16-2 and can still finish up with a great season..

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
After the first half, Merc Russell just disappeared. How many times have I seen that.

Reaction Score
There was some serious young talent wearing orange. And I won't lie to you, I was thinking how great it would've been if #2 in orange -- one Evina Westbrook -- had decided to attend ND. Turnovers aside, she's got a lot of talent, from her ability to make blocks on layups to hit critical shots.

Tip of the hat to the Irish for stopping Russell. Of course, the Vols helped on that front, too.

On offense, when Ogunbowale, Young and even Mabrey went to the hoop, it opened up the floor for some jumpers. both Arike and Marina went 3 for 5 from 3-pt. range.

Amazing how much better a Thursday evening can be a week later....;)
I think the selling point that TN had over ND was that she would be able to start from day 1. At ND, she might not have started until her Junior year. No doubt I believe that her talents would be maximized better at ND, and they could use a PG off the bench right about now. She's going to be good, as are the lady vols in the future.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed how little actual analysis of the style, coaching, and team chemistry goes into the choices most recruits make. Holly has been proving that she is limited as a game coach and a developmental coach for years. This is the best looking TN team I think since she took over and yet they still can lay these kind of eggs.
being coached by Geno, in practice... who wants to put up with that! Tenn is a great WCBB school that does demand as much. Even Notre Dame demands more

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thank you, never in doubt... O'wale, I knew that young lady would come thru for me!
upload_2018-1-19_0-2-9.jpeg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
best GAME THREAD I've read all season (only one)... Drama Free!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I feel for the Tennessee fans. That was hard to swallow. I know, as I watched Oregon State choke away a win at USC with 27 turnovers. Both of these teams must learn to take care of the ball or they are going to exit the NCAA Tournament in round 1 or 2.

While I honestly appreciate and enjoy the LV fans who post here, it’s Tennessee, It was wonderful.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think Holly's game plan of "get the ball to Russell" was overdone and she didn't make any adjustments when it wasn't working. As a result, there were a ton of forced passes that resulted in turnovers and no other offense was really implemented and they completely broke down and started making awful choices. I like that players are looking to make the extra pass, but they need to recognize what's going to be a good pass vs. what's going to lead to a turnover. It's not a strong suit of our guards, and it's not a skill that Holly has shown she can teach.

Great coaching call by muffett to start packing in on russell..all holly knows as coach is to tell her team to pound the ball in to russell..notre dame took that away, but holly didnt adjust..

All I can say is; Please, please don’t fahr Holly!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe the real test of how much Tennessee has improved from last year to this year will be if they can avoid multiple losses to middle of the pack and/or bottom feeding teams in the SEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom