Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tennessee at Notre Dame Thur

Reaction Score
Bleekerhusky, thanks for posting and I as well as others on here will probably appreciate this. Love her passion and her upbeat honesty. Holly should really consider sending Margo to the post game pressers to give logical, thoughtful, insightful and upbeat responses to what occurred in the game.
The issue this continues to highlight is the absolute disparity of Men’s sports expectations and Women’s sports expectations in regards to revenue vs. winning. Were this a Men’s program, Holly would be long gone but as this is a Women’s program with limited revenue so at best, with a 16-2 record and a top ten ranking, there’s no way she will be fired before this contract runs out. My guess is this team finishes with 3 more conference losses possibly 4 and finishes behind MSU, Missouri, SC, Georgia/TAM. This team has a lot of talent as evidenced by having a 23 point lead at one point. Just a shame they can’t have an actual coach who knows how to coach. I also doubt they will be a top 16 seed. It was a good run so to finish with 7 losses would be an improvement albeit an underachievement given this talent.
Don't see many TN games, but most teams would love to be 16-2, ranked in Top 10 and have great players. Overreaction? Geno was not considered more than an above average coach until Lobo, etc. came on board.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Boxer and other LV fans - this is a question for you who watch Tennessee more often.

One of the announcers last night cited a discussion either about or with Russell that revolved around Russell should be more assertive in demanding the ball. My casual observation from the few games I've seen is that she is an athletically gifted who player who continuously under-performs, either because of lack of coaching, or lack of passion, or some combination between these factors, so what the announcer said seemed to ring true to me.

I'm wondering what your take is on this.

I honestly think its lack of coaching. She is a gifted player no doubt, and there has been some improvement in her game since she was a freshman. I think if she can get a coach in the wnba who is a good motivator and good disciplinarian, then she can be really good. She gets neither from holly

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Don't see many TN games, but most teams would love to be 16-2, ranked in Top 10 and have great players. Overreaction? Geno was not considered more than an above average coach until Lobo, etc. came on board.

I think many vol fans, myself included, get tired of the poor fundamentals, lack of discipline, the befuddled press conferences, the insane amount of turnovers game after game, season after season, losing double digit leads, and poor player development that seem to plague a holly coached tennessee team. Its not just one game here and there, this is a constant issue with her teams.

For the record, i still support holly as coach, but issues like these will eventually hurt recruiting and all of a sudden, there will be that season where tennessee isnt relevent anymore.

16-2 is a great start no doubt and im happy about that, but not happy on how tenneseee was coached in those 2 losses, especially the nd loss. That loss could turn what started out as a great start into a dismal finish. We will see tommorrow how they respond with a extremely tough msu team..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread has strengthened my belief that when good Irish fans want to post, they go to Boneyard.
Where do the bad Irish fans post?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I honestly think its lack of coaching. She is a gifted player no doubt, and there has been some improvement in her game since she was a freshman. I think if she can get a coach in the wnba who is a good motivator and good disciplinarian, then she can be really good. She gets neither from holly

Look at how Elizabeth Williams (Duke/Atlanta Dream) vastly improved her game after leaving college. She's nowhere near the player she was at Duke. Coaching can make a difference.

Look at the transformation Azura is under going at UConn. Things she should be comfortable doing at 6'6", that she was not asked (expected) or trained to do.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In that case, she needs to recognize the fact and hire assistants that are great at X's and O's.
The problem is the great basketball minds in WCBB, Muffet, Bruno, Geno etc. don't really teach X's and O's. They show and teach options off of positional play. This is much harder to teach because as a coach you need to know the many options from each offensive position, and as a player you need to learn how to read, recognize and respond. In other words, you need to combine a smart coach who knows how to recruit the right kind of smart players. There just aren't many of these people around. Holly sure isn't one of them. She is also poor at game management and at times it seems she thinks she can carry TO's over to the next game.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Look at how Elizabeth Williams (Duke/Atlanta Dream) vastly improved her game after leaving college. She's nowhere near the player she was at Duke. Coaching can make a difference.

Look at the transformation Azura is under going at UConn. Things she should be comfortable doing at 6'6", that she was not asked (expected) or trained to do.
Coaching and motivation.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

?? The first I heard about Auriemma was in the context of the 1991 Final Four run and how he took a team with only one winning season before him to that plateau. Since then I've not heard one single source, not one single source, not even Tennessee fans, consider Auriemma merely "an above average coach." Not one. I would be interested in any source you have claiming so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boxer and other LV fans - this is a question for you who watch Tennessee more often.
One of the announcers last night cited a discussion either about or with Russell that revolved around Russell should be more assertive in demanding the ball. My casual observation from the few games I've seen is that she is an athletically gifted who player who continuously under-performs, either because of lack of coaching, or lack of passion, or some combination between these factors, so what the announcer said seemed to ring true to me.
I'm wondering what your take is on this.
The announcers were Kara and Rebecca and the entire discussion had me personally fuming at Mercedes. Kara started the discussion by saying that Mercedes has been basically MIA since the first half. The discussion continue that one of the announcers actually asked mercedes in times like these when your teamates are basically ignoring you; "Do you ever get mad enough to demand the ball and are you willing to strangle your teamates when you don't get it." "That's not really my personality was the response from Mercedes".
My positive intrepretation of that answer is, Mercedes is a very nice young lady.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The announcers were Kara and Rebecca and the entire discussion had me personally fuming at Mercedes. Kara started the discussion by saying that Mercedes has been basically MIA since the first half. The discussion continue that one of the announcers actually asked mercedes in times like these when your teamates are basically ignoring you; "Do you ever get mad enough to demand the ball and are you willing to strangle your teamates when you don't get it." "That's not really my personality was the response from Mercedes".
My positive intrepretation of that answer is, Mercedes is a very nice young lady.

Who needs to be coached into being a little more assertive?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who needs to be coached into being a little more assertive?
This is one area where I might be tempted to give Holly a pass. That kind of assertiveness should have been coached into Mercedes back in middle school.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
This is one area where I might be tempted to give Holly a pass. That kind of assertiveness should have been coached into Mercedes back in middle school.

She might be a very nice young lady, but part of the reason she seems to disappear in games is that she really doesn't seem to push herself really hard. Comparing her to Tina Charles, Tina hustled up and down the court on every play - her goal was always to beat her defender to the other end. I don't think I've ever seen MR really hustle. It could be injury, or it could be conditioning - either way it really reduces her impact on the game.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

I bow to your clearly superior basketball and coaching knowledge (absolutely no sarcasm). But, I’d bet that even only one year under Geno and/or CD you would see a different Mercedes.

Reaction Score
She might be a very nice young lady, but part of the reason she seems to disappear in games is that she really doesn't seem to push herself really hard. Comparing her to Tina Charles, Tina hustled up and down the court on every play - her goal was always to beat her defender to the other end. I don't think I've ever seen MR really hustle. It could be injury, or it could be conditioning - either way it really reduces her impact on the game.
She did score on a few occasions (not in this game) in the past because she was slow to pass the center line and her teammate threw the ball after a successful defensive rebound!

Reaction Score
What baffled me about this game was how well UT moved the ball in the first half and how stagnant they became in the 2nd half.

I would really like to see Russell moved to the high post some more. It would free her up from the double teams that clog up the paint, thus giving her more space to maneuver and also giving the guards more opportunities to drive to the rim.
Agree! She is athletic enough to move back from high to low if needed, maybe not as agile as AZ, but she is more than able.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was trying to stay "positive" by sarcastically saying she's a nice young lady.
I'm also not sure I agree with you on her never really hustling. I just think she has one speed. I'll just put it out there: I would like to see Mercedes jack up one of those numerous TN guards that are determined to ignore her. She been on that campus for almost 5 years now. I bet she only has to do it one time! That is not something that someone else should have to do for you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree! She is athletic enough to move back from high to low if needed, maybe not as agile as AZ, but she is more than able.
Been watching Mercedes for a while now both at TN and before in USA basketball. Playing in the high post is not in her skill set as @HuskyNan as already suggested. With the defense ND was playing against against TN, reversing the ball or taking the mid range jumper and living with the consequences who have been far better options-as Margo's video accurately pointed out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your segue here with the Geno reference. Holly took over a Rolls Royce with Pedigree and has done nothing. She did not build that program. Geno took a nothing program with 1 winning season Andy built it.
So all due respect, explain how Holly’s coaching the last 3 years warrants positive excitement?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your segue here with the Geno reference. Holly took over a Rolls Royce with Pedigree and has done nothing. She did not build that program. Geno took a nothing program with 1 winning season Andy built it.
So all due respect, explain how Holly’s coaching the last 3 years warrants positive excitement?
Because even though she has proven time and again that she is at best an average coach she somehow she continues to convince 5 star recruits to come to UT. Make no mistake this team down on Rocky Top is Talented and could, given time, stumble on a formula all by themselves that can win a championship. Maybe. Possibly, in spite of Holly. Maybe. Or some FF's. Maybe.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Or is it a lack of passion? The interview question about do you ever get mad is what prompted my question to Boxer - and thanks Boxer for responding.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think many vol fans, myself included, get tired of the poor fundamentals, lack of discipline, the befuddled press conferences, the insane amount of turnovers game after game, season after season, losing double digit leads, and poor player development that seem to plague a holly coached tennessee team. Its not just one game here and there, this is a constant issue with her teams.

For the record, i still support holly as coach, but issues like these will eventually hurt recruiting and all of a sudden, there will be that season where tennessee isnt relevent anymore.

16-2 is a great start no doubt and im happy about that, but not happy on how tenneseee was coached in those 2 losses, especially the nd loss. That loss could turn what started out as a great start into a dismal finish. We will see tommorrow how they respond with a extremely tough msu team..
I'm sure you be in awwww when you watch a UConn game... and wonder why is Geno doing it but no other coach can get their players all in (Muffett is pretty close, Tara use to be good too)

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Or is it a lack of passion? The interview question about do you ever get mad is what prompted my question to Boxer - and thanks Boxer for responding.

True - it could easily be that. I thought that last year it may have just been the chemistry issues that were impacting the rest of the team, but MR seems to be playing pretty much the same as last year - maybe she's getting the ball a little more, but apart from that, something seems to be lacking.

Reaction Score
7:00PM ET on ESPN

It's No 5 vs No 6
Last year the Irish had a 4th period meltdown and handed Tenn a win. If that wasn't enough to motivate them they are coming off a beat-down by Louisville last week in which they gave up 100 points for the first time in ages to a Cardinal team that shot over 70% in the first half.

Tenn is coming off a big road win against a Wilson-less S Carolina.

I expect a high scoring up and down game and two exhausted teams late. The one that sucks it up wins. I see the home crowd spurring the Irish to victory.

So THIS year Tenn experienced the meltdown and fell apart. The naddering nabobs on Vol Nation were quick to lay the blame at the feet of Coach Warlick, screaming for her immediate (if not sooner) termination. As always, time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom