TENN frosh throwing down the gauntlet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TENN frosh throwing down the gauntlet

Reaction Score
Tenn has lacked leadership for a very long time. It doesnt matter how many great players and team has it comes down to leadership respect and discipline. This is where Tenn is lacking. Star players run the program not Holly. I know this for a fact. So all the hoopla about practicing hard on their own is great but if Tenn doesnt change their coaching Tenn will continue to do what theyve been doing for the past umteen years.

Stop and think if Oregon had DD Russell and Nared last year. Another point how good would Tenn be if they had the Oregon coach coaching them? As far as practicing. If you keep practicing offense and not defense your doomed. If you are not taught, coached, and tweaked you have nothing to practice but what youve been practicing for years. To get better you have to improve and to improve you have to be coached, taught and tweaked, then you must practice it til you cant get it wrong, until it becomes reflexive so you dont have to think about it. That goes with almost anything you do in life. You have to know what to do instinctively. Tenn does not have that coaching and therefore will not get much better.

As much talent as DD has she didnt know what to do and the coaches didnt teach her and show her what to do. Lack of respect discipline and knowledge by the coaches is the reason. Until the Tenn coaching staff can gain the respect of the players which comes from discipline and hard work Tenn will not change. Theyve been a non factor and they will continue to be a non factor until the administration makes the necessary changes. Will that happen I dont think so because the donors donate and care about Tenn Football not the Lady Vols. The monies go to football and that will not change.

As usual spot on Tony.... I have been saying for a long while that the Lady Vol players have no respect for the coaches... most notably Holly.... there was that famous preseason quote by Massengale when she was entering her senior year.... something to the effect that they are going to have to listen to the coaches that season...... and that lasted not even through the first game....

Diamond did what she wanted..... any straying off course against the grain of what coaches wanted was not met with any discipline....... players know they can rule the roost....

Any semblance of success Tennessee achieves will be due to how Holly and coaching staff teach the team in fundamentals and so much more.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kids learn pretty quick if a coach is more of a "demander" or a "suggester". For all that Pat never really taught offense, she had a level of effort that she required from her players, and if they did not live up to her expectations, they would feel her wrath (didn't she famously force her players to wash their own uniforms after a particularly poor game performance?). I get the feeling that Holly is much less a forceful personality and more of a entreater/cajoler/inveigler type of personality...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Samaie's departure had zero to do with being "unable to be controlled by Geno". It had almost everything to do with personal issues for her. That's all I can say on the board in an open forum.

Eric - Walker's departure was certainly due to personal issues. Nonetheless you can't dismiss the reports of "toxic in the locker room."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric - Walker's departure was certainly due to personal issues. Nonetheless you can't dismiss the reports of "toxic in the locker room."
What reports? Was that rumor and innuendo, or did Geno, CD, or some of the players say she was toxic?

Reaction Score
The truth hurts and I hope all UT players do well this and every year. UCONN will dominate again this year and for the next 5 years or more.....Get use to it. WCBB..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Any number of people in that locker room had every reason to be POed, but I do not recall a Deep Throat. Still, my recall is consistent with yours, that the media "buzz" was she was a drag on the team and its goals.

PS. This "digression" has us in nearly mid-season form. Must be a result of the Italy trip. ;):)

Reaction Score
Kids learn pretty quick if a coach is more of a "demander" or a "suggester". For all that Pat never really taught offense, she had a level of effort that she required from her players, and if they did not live up to her expectations, they would feel her wrath (didn't she famously force her players to wash their own uniforms after a particularly poor game performance?). I get the feeling that Holly is much less a forceful personality and more of a entreater/cajoler/inveigler type of personality...

Yes that was the success of Pat wasn't it.... she absolutely would not tolerate anything but full effort from her players..... all those videos from the locker room and bench with Pat in players faces asking them if they wanted to walk home etc.... She was uber competitive all the way.... and I respected her for that

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Could be she was Pat's Mutt to Pat the Jeff. I forget where Mickey DeMoss fell in all that dynamic. I seem to recall her being very active in in game huddles. The whole Mickey not wanting to be a head coach thing puzzles me to this day, though I respect people who are content to be in a second banana role, even if a tall, elegant second banana. As Geno has made so plain, to his undying credit, Geno couldn't be Geno without CD.

Reaction Score
Could be she was Pat's Mutt to Pat the Jeff. I forget where Mickey DeMoss fell in all that dynamic. I seem to recall her being very active in in game huddles. The whole Mickey not wanting to be a head coach thing puzzles me to this day, though I respect people who are content to be in a second banana role, even if a tall, elegant second banana. As Geno has made so plain, to his undying credit, Geno couldn't be Geno without CD.

Some people aren't cut out for being successful in HC position... it is a very different dynamic than asst coach..... Holly is Exhibit 1 here.... and Mickey ..... like Hollly ... was good asst coach.... but i think her tenure at Kentucky as HC was miserable for her..... then she went to help Tyler at La Tech.... and I think that would have worked fairly well if Tyler didn't make his misstep

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some people aren't cut out for being successful in HC position... it is a very different dynamic than asst coach..... Holly is Exhibit 1 here.... and Mickey ..... like Hollly ... was good asst coach.... but i think her tenure at Kentucky as HC was miserable for her..... then she went to help Tyler at La Tech.... and I think that would have worked fairly well if Tyler didn't make his misstep

Yeah, I know. Really liked Mickey and hoped she would be successful and happy at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest unknown factor at Tennessee is how the newly hired assistant coach, Bridgette Gordon, will impact team dynamics and team play. She is reputed to be an excellent in-game floor coach--something that has been sorely missing at Tennessee for a long time. Coach Gordon is the wild card and one to watch at Tennessee this year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Tenn kids need to be developed. They need coaches who can develop them to the next level. Practicing what they all ready know is good but that was High School good. The next level is college that should prepare them for college and the pros. Tenn does not have that and hasnt. Tenn can out talent alot of teams but most of the very good teams beat Tenn and some not as talented beat Tenn. The problems start with the coaches. The LV coaches are paid alot of money and are under big contracts and cant perform. The doners monies go to football not the LVs. So until the coaches contracts run out or are about to run out nothing will change.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The Tenn kids need to be developed. They need coaches who can develop them to the next level. Practicing what they all ready know is good but that was High School good. The next level is college that should prepare them for college and the pros. Tenn does not have that and hasnt. Tenn can out talent alot of teams but most of the very good teams beat Tenn and some not as talented beat Tenn. The problems start with the coaches. The LV coaches are paid alot of money and are under big contracts and cant perform. The doners monies go to football not the LVs. So until the coaches contracts run out or are about to run out nothing will change.
Here's something Holly said.
Our girls have done a great job this summer. It's a great feeling to go into a gym and know that the group we have is willing to go all out in practice. I think our freshmen have added to that. Our freshmen are competitive, talented and they aren't scared. They want to learn and they have done a phenomenal job of fitting in and gelling with our upperclassmen. Jaime and Mercedes have done a great job of being leaders for us, and I am really proud of them. It's exciting starting a new season. I'm anxious to see it and get going."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Rocky, Mickey DeMoss was absolutely instrumental in why Tenn was so successful. Her brief tenure at Kentucky was also very good. Unfortunately some poor choices by her cost her the opportunity to stay on at Kentucky and may be the reason why she's elected to stay behind the scenes as a lieutenant vs. top dog.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No offense but you are completely wrong on comparing Moss to CWH. Do some more research on the Kentucky situation as she created her own demise. She can coach and was good everywhere. She's is getting a tad long in the tooth now but I greatly respect her skills as a coach and her loyalty to Pat's legacy and to the sport.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here's something Holly said.
Our girls have done a great job this summer. It's a great feeling to go into a gym and know that the group we have is willing to go all out in practice. I think our freshmen have added to that. Our freshmen are competitive, talented and they aren't scared. They want to learn and they have done a phenomenal job of fitting in and gelling with our upperclassmen. Jaime and Mercedes have done a great job of being leaders for us, and I am really proud of them. It's exciting starting a new season. I'm anxious to see it and get going."

Where. Gotta give us the source stwainfan! Her 8/28 presser where she talked about several years of leadership issues?

LADY VOL HOOPS REPORT (8/28/17)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sounds like what she's been saying for the past 6 years.

Yup. Holly is Holly. What you see is what you get. I do not think the new assistant, despite her many years of experience around and about, will add much. She's like a Tennessee Carla Berube without the coaching track record, but she'll cover Holly's backside come hell or high water.

Reaction Score
No offense but you are completely wrong on comparing Moss to CWH. Do some more research on the Kentucky situation as she created her own demise. She can coach and was good everywhere. She's is getting a tad long in the tooth now but I greatly respect her skills as a coach and her loyalty to Pat's legacy and to the sport.

Ya all i said was that she was good asst coach at Tennessee as Holly was..... at Kentucky .... yes she created her own demise.... she even as much admitted to that......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
TENN frosh throwing down the gauntlet

Yea, we'll see how that goes. Hopefully they don't throw it at UCONN's feet.

23af457.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yea, we'll see how that goes. Hopefully they don't throw it at UCONN's feet.

23af457.jpg
If they did (maybe in the tournament :)) , Geno & his Huskies would kick it back in their face with a 40+ pt beat down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If they did (maybe in the tournament :)) , Geno & his Huskies would kick it back in their face with a 40+ pt beat down.

Naw, in a spirit of fair play Geno would start 3 freshman, Kia and Z. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom