TENN frosh throwing down the gauntlet | The Boneyard

TENN frosh throwing down the gauntlet

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Quoting "stwainfan"
Diamond is not on the team now. My favorite quote was by Dunbar on the freshmen " I’ve come in at eight, nine, 10 o’clock at night and I see Evina Westbrook putting up shots. I see Annie in there and Rennia. With them coming in shooting late-time shots, getting reps in already, I’m excited for them to jump in.”
It's good to see them working hard to improve. Hayes said "I feel like we can come in and make an immediate impact," said Hayes. "That's why I signed."

I hope UCONN's frosh are as committed. :rolleyes:

Also from stwainfan:
EoGv9pb8_normal.jpg
WBBDaily @WBBDaily

Jaime Nared says Lady Vols have 'completely different feel' http://knoxne.ws/2wHHmWo via @knoxnews
4:55 PM - Aug 26, 2017

Why? No more Diamond and Friday night fights? :p

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here's some media session with Holly, Mercedes, and Jamie.

Reaction Score
Tenn has been "turning the page", "showing great energy", "working harder than in at any time in memory", "seem to be on a mission", etc etc etc every summer. I'm sure that's the same with hundreds of other programs in D1 wcbb and maybe it's just that Tenn gets more press than any other also-ran team but I am amazed at how they manage to maintain a pollyanna attitude year after year after year. The only comparable situation I know of is the comments from trainers the week before the Kentucky Derby when every horse is "working perfectly","never in better condition", "ready to shock the world". Then in the days after the race we hear how "he hadn't been himself in the days before the race", "we weren't sure whether to race him due to ". In the case of Tenn it takes the form of Warlick telling us in April that so-and-so was playing injured all year and will need offseason surgery.

Every summer Warlick has told us about how the attitude of the team was 100%. Now all we hear is that DeShields and Cooper were poison the last couple of years. In the spring after DeShields sat for a season we were told that the year off gave her a chance to heal from injuries that limited her at UNC. Then at the start of the season we suddenly hear about DeShields' shin problems. So I'll leave the "everything is wonderful" comments coming out of Knoxville to the orange koolade drinkers. It appears to me that it's nothing more than an attempt to stimulate season ticket sales.

As someone else posted, Tenn has 2 outstanding players returning. Next year they will have 4 experienced sophomores but will lose their 2 best players. If they can land a couple of big & talented front court players in the '18 class they could make a lot of noise in the 19/20 season. Now maybe they'll turn out to be clones of the Mich. "fab five", but I doubt it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tenn has been "turning the page", "showing great energy", "working harder than in at any time in memory", "seem to be on a mission", etc etc etc every summer.

Every summer Warlick has told us about how the attitude of the team was 100%. Now all we hear is that DeShields and Cooper were poison the last couple of years. In the spring after DeShields sat for a season we were told that the year off gave her a chance to heal from injuries that limited her at UNC. Then at the start of the season we suddenly hear about DeShields' shin problems. So I'll leave the "everything is wonderful" comments coming out of Knoxville to the orange koolade drinkers. It appears to me that it's nothing more than an attempt to stimulate season ticket sales.
I petty much agree with your post (FWIW)- and well said by the way... I just wanted to add - when DD said she was coming back to college for her SR year, Tenn fans nearly wet themselves with excitement because she was "the best player on the team". And Cooper coming back, well she was THE answer at the PG spot given how "extraordinarily talented" she was/is. They also lost Middleton.

Now we are told the team is better off without them, and that somehow starting 2-3 freshmen along with Russell and Nared is a sure path to at least the elite 8 and maybe further? It's not impossible, but there are far too many other talented teams out there with better coaching who I'd say have a better chance. Time will tell for sure, but I'm hoping for a big time flame out and frustrating freshmen struggles as they realize the coaching leaves much to be desired...

Reaction Score
if the Tennessee freshmen perform as advertised, perhaps they will succeed despite the coaching staff.........they should be a top twenty team and go a few rounds in the big tournament based on talent alone

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well duh. They return 6 players, and only 2 of them are proven. If the frosh don't contribute, this year would be even worse than last.

Don't go all logical on us vowelguy! It's no fun. ;)

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I petty much agree with your post (FWIW)- and well said by the way... I just wanted to add - when DD said she was coming back to college for her SR year, Tenn fans nearly wet themselves with excitement because she was "the best player on the team". And Cooper coming back, well she was THE answer at the PG spot given how "extraordinarily talented" she was/is. They also lost Middleton.

Now we are told the team is better off without them, and that somehow starting 2-3 freshmen along with Russell and Nared is a sure path to at least the elite 8 and maybe further? It's not impossible, but there are far too many other talented teams out there with better coaching who I'd say have a better chance. Time will tell for sure, but I'm hoping for a big time flame out and frustrating freshmen struggles as they realize the coaching leaves much to be desired...

It would be ridiculous to argue that TN will be better without DeShields. Even the staff isn't crazy enough to say that. As for Diamond and last season, she was not the issue and the staff was satisfied with DD. As for Cooper coming back, it was not known that she would be the answer. Most knew that she would have plenty of competition for the point guard spot from the incoming freshmen.

As for coaching, only time will tell. Holly has been dealt major blows due to injury. To ignore that would be insane, but the clock is ticking to make noise in a hurry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tenn has been "turning the page", "showing great energy", "working harder than in at any time in memory", "seem to be on a mission", etc etc etc every summer. I'm sure that's the same with hundreds of other programs in D1 wcbb and maybe it's just that Tenn gets more press than any other also-ran team but I am amazed at how they manage to maintain a pollyanna attitude year after year after year. The only comparable situation I know of is the comments from trainers the week before the Kentucky Derby when every horse is "working perfectly","never in better condition", "ready to shock the world". Then in the days after the race we hear how "he hadn't been himself in the days before the race", "we weren't sure whether to race him due to ". In the case of Tenn it takes the form of Warlick telling us in April that so-and-so was playing injured all year and will need offseason surgery.

As someone else posted, Tenn has 2 outstanding players returning. Next year they will have 4 experienced sophomores but will lose their 2 best players. If they can land a couple of big & talented front court players in the '18 class they could make a lot of noise in the 19/20 season. Now maybe they'll turn out to be clones of the Mich. "fab five", but I doubt it.

You forgot the perennial summertime "showing great chemistry" though. :rolleyes:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My perspective: Tennessee has enough raw talent that if the team can overcome chemistry issues, they can be successful despite less than stellar coaching. I don't expect them to challenge for the Final Four but they won't necessarily be a weak sister.

Of course, the same could have been said the past few years. Part of stellar coaching is basketball fundamentals, adaptive schemes, etc, and part of it is getting the players to buy into the system, no matter how flawed it may be. I think that with Diamond and Cooper gone, Warlick has a better chance of controlling the team.

As has been noted, if she can't handle the team better, then IMO she ought to resign or be fired.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee has potential AA's in Russell and Nared. Look how much both have improved at Tennessee speaking of coaching. As for the freshman. This group is certainly talented. I expect Hayes and Westbrook to have good years. I think chemistry will be better this year also.

Reaction Score
Oops, my bad, I guess that is team chemistry huh?

Actually your phrase is more correct. I knew 100% wasn't the right phrase but kept drawing a blank trying to remember. Stwain is usually a good source for quotes from the coaches/players and he/she used the word "chemistry". :)

Reaction Score
if the Tennessee freshmen perform as advertised, perhaps they will succeed despite the coaching staff....they should be a top twenty team and go a few rounds in the big tournament based on talent alone

"Based on talent alone", Tenn should have been in 2 or 3 final fours in the last 4-6 years.

Reaction Score
"Based on talent alone", Tenn should have been in 2 or 3 final fours in the last 4-6 years.

true but maybe these freshmen will be able to tune out what the coaches instruct them to do

Reaction Score
Did Parker offer her opinion of why?

Anyway, a more correct quote would be "UConn gets the most out of their talent."

She was on first take, I believe. And was asked about UCONNs dominance. Her response....UCONN always gets the best players. Unfortunately no one asked said Tenn had the #1 recruiting class this year. Maryland had it last year. And Baylor the year before??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did Parker offer her opinion of why?

Anyway, a more correct quote would be "UConn gets the most out of their talent."

She was pretty snide and said UConn gets all the best because of the history, kids are pretty much guaranteed USA team membership "and more." Let's face it there is no love hate relationship between Candace and Geno. If I can find it again I'll post it. Here you go:

May want to back it up 30 seconds to get the lead in. She goes on to spew total drivel about "back in her day" what made Tenn so great was because they bested a lot of great teams and it isn't like that today. Delusional. BTW for you youngsters CP outpouted DD on the court if she didn't get what she wanted on the court; great talent but really too, too full of herself.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom