Temple Post-game | The Boneyard

Temple Post-game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the Temple game:
  • Good 1st & 4th qtrs. Not so good in the 2nd & 3rd.
  • Through 3 games, the biggest issue that I see with UConn’s offense is a lack of transition scoring. Fast break baskets make offense a whole lot easier.
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country.
  • Geno is going to face a dilemma very soon. Anna really understands the offense better than Aubrey, but 3 games into the season she’s still in search of her shot. On the other hand, Aubrey’s energy on defense and on the boards is undeniable.
  • I felt a little bad for Kyla and her family early in the game when she hadn’t gotten off the bench, particularly when they showed that contingent of Kyla’s friends and family all sporting “Kyla” t-shirts. Great to see her get in and knock down all of her shots.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The good, high energy, high accuracy 4th quarter was by far the biggest positive in today's game. A lot of the energy came from Aubrey, which is a benefit from her limited minutes earlier in the game.

On the whole, and despite some anxious moments late in the third quarter, the dominant way in which the team finished the game makes me much less concerned about their fitness and conditioning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good, high energy, high accuracy 4th quarter was by far the biggest positive in today's game. A lot of the energy came from Aubrey, which is a benefit from her limited minutes earlier in the game.

On the whole, and despite some anxious moments late in the third quarter, the dominant way in which the team finished the game makes me much less concerned about their fitness and conditioning.
Aubrey with 9 pts, 8 rebounds and a handful of steals.

Reaction Score
  • Through 3 games, the biggest issue that I see with UConn’s offense is a lack of transition scoring. Fast break baskets make offense a whole lot easier.
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country

yes that ONO isn't bad at all ;) ..........................seriously if she continues to develop that short turnaround jump shot combined with the up and under she will be a major offensive force in addition to her growing defensive prowess........................

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Once again, Anna led the team in assists with 7.

I know it has been said over and over, but her shots will start to drop. When it happens, these Huskies will be a completely different team.

Very happy with today’s energy and the 18 points from the bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
yes that ONO isn't bad at all ;) ..........................seriously if she continues to develop that short turnaround jump shot combined with the up and under she will be a major offensive force in addition to her growing defensive prowess........................
You think she spent any time with Pheesa last year working on those moves? :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country.
  • Geno is going to face a dilemma very soon. Anna really understands the offense better than Aubrey, but 3 games into the season she’s still in search of her shot. On the other hand, Aubrey’s energy on defense and on the boards is undeniable.
  • I felt a little bad for Kyla and her family early in the game when she hadn’t gotten off the bench, particularly when they showed that contingent of Kyla’s friends and family all sporting “Kyla” t-shirts. Great to see her get in and knock down all of her shots.

Aubrey with 9 pts, 8 rebounds and a handful of steals.

RIGHT NOW, Aubrey is producing more than Anna. That may change as time goes on. I would like to see Aubrey start, and Anna spell her off the bench for the time being. UConn still needs more production from that 5th starter's spot. Whether she starts or not, I'd like to see Aubrey get at least 18-22 minutes a game.

She looks much more comfortable out there today than she did in game one against Cal. The more she plays, the more relaxed she'll be, and the soon the game will come to her. I like what I'm seeing from Aubrey. While she still does not know the system yet, she knows enough to go out there and function and be productive.

Anna will get her first FG Tuesday at home (XL) against Virginia. TV: CBSSN ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be griping (wouldn't be the boneyard without it) but there was definite improvement in the team. Yes, there is still some inconsistency but the curve is going upward without any backsliding. And, the bench squared their previous output +2 today. ;)

I don't think the bench will score 324 points next game, but 36 would be nice. If they can, however, consistently contribute 20 points a game (and give the starters some rest at the end of quarters) they should be ok. The fourth quarter was encouraging!

This is not likely to be a year of multiple thirty and forty point blow outs but as long as they can grind games out it should be a good year.

Reaction Score
I liked everything I saw. Aubrey can sure fill up a stat sheet. Loved Kyla's scoring. Crystal moved much better than she did in the first two games, she even moved laterally at times and in both directions. Good sign. Did see her limp at times when play was stopped. Christyn and Megan are continuing to be solid all around. Olivia impresses more with each game, love her hustle and shooting touch. Help defense was much improved.

I keep hearing Anna can shoot... Geno said after the game "she's oh for America" but she did hit one layup. Love her court awareness, hustle and passing.

Temple is a pretty good team. Lots of good players. Tonya coaches them well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
RIGHT NOW, Aubrey is producing more than Anna. That may change as time goes on. I would like to see Aubrey start, and Anna spell her off the bench for the time being. UConn still needs more production from that 5th starter's spot. Whether she starts or not, I'd like to see Aubrey get at least 18-22 minutes a game. She looks much more comfortable out there today than she did in game one against Cal.
I agree that Aubrey was more productive, but again to Geno's dilemma, I believe Anna lead the Huskies with 7 assists today. When Aubrey figures out what she's doing on offense and Anna starts to knock down shots, UConn could have two incredible freshmen.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Shooting 71% Q1 and Q4; averaged out to 49.2%. Loved CW's finishes in the paint, but wouldn't argue against ONO as MV. FTs in Q4 of the Cal game made me nervous -- she started as an abysmal FT shooter earlier in her freshman year -- but she made her shots very nicely this time. Nice to see more players scoring. Pleasantly surprised at the strong finish in Q4. Mak continues to impress as a passer; she led the team in assists with 7. Glad Kyla had her moment before friends and family. Megan after a 3 pt burst in Q1, ended with a quiet 15. CD landing on her hip after the floater in the 1st half had me worried. Temple in Q1 better than any team UConn faced this season, but ran out of steam; still, well-trained (natch).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Aside from the 3rd quarter, and a bit of a poor shooting 2nd quarter, a much improved 3rd game and not a lot to complain about this early in the season. Of course there are things to work on. As Geno said at halftime, Temple knocked down every open 3 they got. The 3rd quarter lacked energy and it had nothing to do with being tired.

BUT... Every kid who played CONTRIBUTED. There are times where UCONN has played 4 on 5 this season. Not today. Anna with 7 assists. ONO with a double double - so much improvement from last year... Christyn being more aggressive. Megan seemed a little out of synch today, but still was solid. Crystal looked better (except for the brain fart where she let herself get trapped in a double team in the 3rd quarter).

Aubrey - LOVE what I see from her. Kid is a freshman, but fearless. NOT afraid to shoot, take the ball into the teeth of the defense, and rebound and mix it up. Kudos to Kyla. Glad to see Evelyn at least score. Molly with 2 assists in limited minutes.

The thing I liked most about this game is that while there were definitely things that need to be worked on, it was NOT a win that felt like a loss (Crystal said "the first 2 games felt like losses, even tho we won"). Good for Crystal to not sugar coat it, as some fans tried to do after the first 2 games.

I am much more upbeat after this game. It felt like what an early season game should feel like - a solid win with some very good things, and still a good number of things to improve on.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The evolutionary process continues. As is to be expected. The team had better ball movement today, especially the 1st and 4th quarters. Four starters scored in double figures - very good balance. Team defense and rebounding getting better. Practices are showing good results.

Olivia is showing she will be a force to be taken seriously. The foul line jumper will open up the low post for her. She is proving to be an above average passer - a big plus from the high post. I can't wait until she turns her back-to-the-basket set into a drive to the post. But for now I will take that little fade away.

Anna is showing her court awareness. Excellent passes as exhibited by her 7 assists. She had one go in but it was taken away. She'll be fine.

Aubrey is our energizer bunny. She comes off the bench with a ton of energy. Her ability to change a game is uncanny. I believe she will be the 6th man all season.

All in all, a very good game. Enjoyable to watch.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
RIGHT NOW, Aubrey is producing more than Anna.
That statement is true if and only if you limit your focus to scoring and rebounding. If you consider assists and generally playing within the team's offensive system, it is a much closer call. For example, Anna "assisted" (although not on the scoresheet) on one early 3-point basket by cutting to the basket and drawing two defenders, thereby leaving the shooter wide open.

I doubt that Aubrey, at this point in the season, would have known to make that play.

Reaction Score
RIGHT NOW, Aubrey is producing more than Anna. That may change as time goes on. I would like to see Aubrey start, and Anna spell her off the bench for the time being. UConn still needs more production from that 5th starter's spot. Whether she starts or not, I'd like to see Aubrey get at least 18-22 minutes a game.

Anna will get her first FG Tuesday at home (XL) against Virginia. TV: CBSSN ;)

I kind of like the way Geno has been using the two of them......................AM is a fine passer and seems to know the offense better then AG.....................AG brings instant energy and changes the flow of the game so I'd say she is more suitable as the first player off the bench.................either way they'll both get some big minutes during this season..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom